Weenmeoff's Inside Soil Alien Abduction Grow Journal

I like the setup of Canna Montana's pictures, except I would not bother with the air intake fan. Air will naturally flow into the tent to replace the exhausted air. I like her use of the flex duct on the intake to keep light from coming in with the air.

The main purpose of a fan speed regulator is to A) reduce the wind and the noise and B) improve the life of the fan. I don't think you have a problem with A) wind and noise at 160 CFM. B) fan life is probably not worth the expense.

A thermostat for your fan will probably cost at least $50 - which is more than a timer. A timer may need more fiddling around and adjusting through the year. My (3 year old) thermostat cost about $100 and has a daytime and nighttime setting - because I mounted it high where I can't read the dials, that has caused more problems than it has helped. Other than that, a thermostat is set and forget - like for your house.

Believe it or not, this little guy can fit into a 6" opening. He was all over that tent one night. He reeked like weed. Good thing nis didn't smell him that morning! I got the plant mended before nis got home and little pup didn't get in too much trouble. That's part of the reason for the inlet fan. The other is, the fan wasn't pulling in enough fresh air, and Temps were raising. The fan helped tremendously. Plus it's cool to strech the duct out and blow a big 'ol hit in there and watch the tent fill up on camera. It's the little things. Lol

35da43a8088cb30e0485467454e5c486.jpg

Thanks once again you two! I really appreciate all of your help. So the girls (I hope but will refer to them as girls) got 6 hours of dark today. The damn temp went down to 55 and the rh up to 86, there were little droplets of water on them. I will get a thermostat to hook the fan up to and will just use 1 fan. I still need the carbon filter but took the duct off so the air would fill the tent, go through the light and out the top.

Before dark.
image36900.jpg

After dark.
image36902.jpg

image36903.jpg

image36901.jpg

Thanks once again you two! I really appreciate all of your help. So the girls (I hope but will refer to them as girls) got 6 hours of dark today. The damn temp went down to 55 and the rh up to 86, there were little droplets of water on them. I will get a thermostat to hook the fan up to and will just use 1 fan. I still need the carbon filter but took the duct off so the air would fill the tent, go through the light and out the top.

Before dark.
image36900.jpg

After dark.
image36902.jpg

image36903.jpg

image36901.jpg
We use a few small fans constantly even when they are sleeping. Keeps air moving and not so stagnant.

Will do. I turned mine off because I was worried it would add to the temp drop.

When should I clone to check sex?

How do I set up an avatar?

Rock on!

Hey bud on the top of the page there is a tab that says "user cp". You click on that then it will take you to your profile. On the left side of the page then you will have a "menu". Just click where it says "change avatar" and voila! you can either upload a picture from your computer or insert an URL of the picture. Its right around where you add/change your signature.

As for cloning to sex check, you want the clones to be around 4 inches tall or so. :thumb:

Also, i'm glad my better half has been here to give ya a hand. I thought I was subbed up but wasn't so its all good now. Your "hopefully girls" are looking great. Keep it up.

I was one of the lucky ones to see Pigeons cloning video before he took it down. I was going to use rock wool or soil. I went to the how to grow MJ section and damn is there a lot of info on cloning. I have a few weeks to bone up. Would you care to give a basic overview of those methods and why they are your favorites?

Rock on!

Ween!! :popcorn:I thought I should stop by while on the
"HOZONA IS REALLY BAKED TOUR"
of 420 Magazine journals:rofl:
It appears you have sought out and found great information. I will be watching and commenting as we go along if it's OK. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Asking the right people the right question is how we ALL learn.:cheesygrinsmiley: Good luck and welcome to 420 Magazine! :yahoo:

logo8.gif

A minor update. Day 2 of 18/6 and temp only went down to 65 instead of 55 on day 1 possibly thanks to putting a under space rug heater under my tent...? Plus humidity was about 45 instead of 86 on day one thanks to advise from Canna Montana suggesting I keep my fan running during the sleep period. No major difference in the plants, just wanted to share pics from a different angle.

Rock on!
image36907.jpg

image36908.jpg

image36909.jpg

Hi Hoz,
Thanks for the welcome! I'm almost as addicted to this forum as I am to being with and watching my plants progress. I am very thankful for all the help I am receiving and hope to make you all proud by becoming a bonified MJ Gardner.
Rock on!

Ween! We all started somewhere...you will be successful! Stay vigilant!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

A minor update. Day 2 of 18/6 and temp only went down to 65 instead of 55 on day 1 possibly thanks to putting a under space rug heater under my tent...? Plus humidity was about 45 instead of 86 on day one thanks to advise from Canna Montana suggesting I keep my fan running during the sleep period. No major difference in the plants, just wanted to share pics from a different angle.

Rock on!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned a (GLR gas light reduction) lighting schedule, but you might be able to use it. :cheesygrinsmiley: Your lamp is on 12 hours at a time, 5 1/2 off, 1 on, 5 1/2 off, repeat. It saves you some money on the electric bill and supports really good vegetative growth. The one hour on during the dark period keeps the plants from going into flower. Since I depend on the Sun for my lighting, I try to keep the girls in veg until the Sun's cycle has started to get longer every day , well past the vernal equinox unless I am trying for two outdoor harvests like I am currently. They can go outside sooner to get two harvests.
After the Summer Solstice the daylight becomes less every day. Indoor growers have been known to try to duplicate this with a (DLS diminishing light schedule) If you go HERE you will find a post by my mentor BID covering both.:cheesygrinsmiley: Good luck !!!

Rock on!
image36907.jpg

image36908.jpg

image36909.jpg
Thanks for the shout out! Makes me feel good that I can help..

I was one of the lucky ones to see Pigeons cloning video before he took it down. I was going to use rock wool or soil. I went to the how to grow MJ section and damn is there a lot of info on cloning. I have a few weeks to bone up. Would you care to give a basic overview of those methods and why they are your favorites?

Rock on!

My favorite - the CloneBucket cloner - similar to many bubble cloners, but splashier.

20151007_214415-1.jpg

20151008_194933-1.jpg

How to do it:
A) - Make a fresh diagonal cut,
B) - dip the cut in a cloning liquid (not gel),
C) - place the clone in a neoprene ring,
D) - place the clone and the ring in the bucket cloner
E) - place cloner bucket in weak light

Advantages:
1) Bucket cloners grow 'hydro roots' thick and strong.
2) The foliage stays amazingly healthy (but does not grow) for many weeks after roots show.

Disadvantages:
:( Makes a splashy sound

- - -

My second favorite choice - plant directly into soil

How to do it:
A) - Select a health leader (apical meristem) at least 8 inches tall
B) - Remove leaves from bottom 4 inches
C) - make a fresh diagonal cut,
D) - dip the cut in a cloning powder or cloning gel (not liquid),
E) - place in soil about 3 inches deep
F) - water and light as normal for a young plant

Advantages:
1) No special tools
2) The foliage stays healthy (but does not grow) then suddenly starts growing.
3) Fast growing once started.

Disadvantages:
:( High failure rate for small clones, so requires a big clone.
:( You never know it is working until, after 2-3 weeks, it starts growing.

- - Variation, cloning in perlite

Instead of soil, one can place a cutting in perlite. Then transplant into soil.

Advantages:
A) - In a clear cup, one can see roots

Disadvantages
:( transplanting with perlite clinging to roots is a more delicate operation than transplanting bare roots.

= = =

My least favorite choice - plant directly into rockwool

How to do it:
A) - Select a cutting
B) - Remove large leaves or cut of ends of large leaves to make them short leaves
D) - dip the cut in cloning gel (not liquid),
E) - jam stem into wet rockwool to make a new hole as stem goes in
F) - place under clone dome with some ventilation and low light
G) - mist inside of clone dome daily
H) - water rockwool cube every 3 days by watering the bottom 1/4" of the rockwool cube

Advantages:
1) works with small clones

Disadvantages:
:( clones are small - so grow slowly
:( many leaves are lost
:( clones look sickly
:( trays get green scum and smell
:( requires daily maintenance

- -

Instead of rockwool, one can use peat starter pellets or soil then top water instead of bottom water

Compared to rockwool - clones look less sickly, don't get green scum, and don't smell

Ween! We all started somewhere...you will be successful! Stay vigilant!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned a (GLR gas light reduction) lighting schedule, but you might be able to use it. :cheesygrinsmiley: Your lamp is on 12 hours at a time, 5 1/2 off, 1 on, 5 1/2 off, repeat. It saves you some money on the electric bill and supports really good vegetative growth. The one hour on during the dark period keeps the plants from going into flower. Since I depend on the Sun for my lighting, I try to keep the girls in veg until the Sun's cycle has started to get longer every day , well past the vernal equinox unless I am trying for two outdoor harvests like I am currently. They can go outside sooner to get two harvests.
After the Summer Solstice the daylight becomes less every day. Indoor growers have been known to try to duplicate this with a (DLS diminishing light schedule) If you go HERE you will find a post by my mentor BID covering both.:cheesygrinsmiley: Good luck !!!

Thanks Hoz! Very interesting article and something I will definitely consider. Since I was at 24/7 until 2 days ago. When/how would I transition to GLR? Lights currently go out at noon, would I have them go on at 5:30 for an hour then off for 5 1/2? Would temps as low as 55 during dark periods for a few weeks until it warms up Here be a problem?

Also, I'd really like to keep it as organic as possible so not sure if the starter pack of nutes I got is what I should be using or is it ok as long as I flush them properly?

This is the starter kit.

image36910.jpg

My favorite - the CloneBucket cloner - similar to many bubble cloners, but splashier.

20151007_214415-1.jpg

20151008_194933-1.jpg

How to do it:
A) - Make a fresh diagonal cut,
B) - dip the cut in a cloning liquid (not gel),
C) - place the clone in a neoprene ring,
D) - place the clone and the ring in the bucket cloner
E) - place cloner bucket in weak light

Advantages:
1) Bucket cloners grow 'hydro roots' thick and strong.
2) The foliage stays amazingly healthy (but does not grow) for many weeks after roots show.

Disadvantages:
:( Makes a splashy sound

- - -

My second favorite choice - plant directly into soil

How to do it:
A) - Select a health leader (apical meristem) at least 8 inches tall
B) - Remove leaves from bottom 4 inches
D) - dip the cut in a cloning powder or cloning gel (not liquid),
E) - place in soil about 3 inches deep
F) - water and light as normal for a young plant

Advantages:
1) No special tools
2) The foliage stays healthy (but does not grow) then suddenly starts growing.
3) Fast growing once started.

Disadvantages:
:( High failure rate for small clones, so requires a big clone.
:( You never know it is working until, after 2-3 weeks, it starts growing.

- - Variation, cloning in perlite

Instead of soil, one can place a cutting in perlite. Then transplant into soil.

Advantages:
A) - In a clear cup, one can see roots

Disadvantages
:( transplanting with perlite clinging to roots is a more delicate operation than transplanting bare roots.

= = =

My least favorite choice - plant directly into rockwool

How to do it:
A) - Select a cutting
B) - Remove large leaves or cut of ends of large leaves to make them short leaves
D) - dip the cut in cloning gel (not liquid),
E) - jam stem into wet rockwool to make a new hole as stem goes in
F) - place under clone dome with some ventilation and low light
G) - mist inside of clone dome daily
H) - water rockwool cube every 3 days by watering the bottom 1/4" of the rockwool cube

Advantages:
1) works with small clones

Disadvantages:
:( clones are small - so grow slowly
:( many leaves are lost
:( clones look sickly
:( trays get green scum and smell
:( requires daily maintenance

- -

Instead of rockwool, one can use peat starter pellets or soil then top water instead of bottom water

Compared to rockwool - clones look less sickly, don't get green scum, and don't smell

OK so I am think method 2, right into soil. For now, I am only cloning to check sex as I want to keep my number of plants low. Unless anyone can suggest a better or easier way to determine sex.

Much thanks to all of you!

Thanks Hoz! Very interesting article and something I will definitely consider. Since I was at 24/7 until 2 days ago. When/how would I transition to GLR? Lights currently go out at noon, would I have them go on at 5:30 for an hour then off for 5 1/2? Would temps as low as 55 during dark periods for a few weeks until it warms up Here be a problem?
I like the schedule a lot and schedule mine to go on when I want to be out in the garden. I like to be able to look in whenever I want so I schedule mine to go on at 6AM , off 6PM, on 11:30PM off 1:30AM on again at 6AM. Remember that turning a light on when in GLR isn't as critical as when you are in flowering schedule. As far as temps go, if you stay on schedule you are currently on, night temps should be fine with your lights on all night.

Also, I'd really like to keep it as organic as possible so not sure if the starter pack of nutes I got is what I should be using or is it ok as long as I flush them properly?

Now to the nutes, since I have never used that brand that you have, were they sold to you as nutes for soil or hydro? If you use the medium (soil or hydro) they suggest and follow their schedule you should have excellent results!

Thanks again Hoz! There are directions for soil and hydro. What I was really asking, is if I want to go organic like with no chemicals, should I be using something different like worm castings, bat guano etc...? I will just use these since I have them.

Not sure if I will go GLR, need to read more. It would be nice to see some journals of those that use it but didn't see GLR in any journal titles but also didn't look to hard, will keep looking.

Based on the pics, can any of you very helpful people suggest when to start FIMing, topping or training, etc...?

Rock on!

Back
Top Bottom