Weffalo's West Coast O.G. First Time Grow: Indoor, Soil, SIP, Auto

I agree. In fact, I check my reservoir with a dipstick to make sure there's still water down there but I don't even start refilling until I see strong new growth kicking in. At that point I'm confident the new SIP roots have formed and from then on I just top off the reservoir daily and make a note of how much it took to do so.
Okay I'm definitely with you guys, Thanks @Azimuth .

I'll stick to the gospel written here, it's very exciting that they have nearly got to the SIP stage as I do feel once they have been transplanted and show signs of growth that it will be much easier for the ladies and for me, and my chances of failure definitely go down :D

My soil/compost is a non-peat based one,
Ohhh, do tell?! (Mine is also non-peat based, so I'm always curious when I hear something like this). :thanks:

Also, damping off can be countered with some air movement across the surface of the soil like a fan from a bit away (so not a wind on those small seedlings), and/or some worm castings sprinkled on the soil surface.

1668967771739.png

This stuff, I bought BioBizz light originally but this was recommended to me by @Roy Growin as he has sucessfully used it before :D

That's good to know about the damping off because I've had just one fan at a distance blowing on them the full time, I've got more fans to go in when we get some more leaves!

1668967771739.png

This stuff, I bought BioBizz light originally but this was recommended to me by @Roy Growin as he has sucessfully used it before :D

That's good to know about the damping off because I've had just one fan at a distance blowing on them the full time, I've got more fans to go in when we get some more leaves!
Interesting. Do they show an ingredients list?

Interesting. Do they show an ingredients list?
HI Az - Yes, it's peat free compost, coco coir and something they call Bio3, which is a combination of readily available and slow release fertilizers, plus some kind of water content regulator - NPK is something like 9-4-7, pH buffered 5.5 - 6.5
Just add water, though I did add citric to get to about pH 6.3-6.5 out of habit more than anything
Never saw even the slightest of yellowing until several weeks into flower when I added a bit of PK/CaMg
See Sweet Zombie Grow Journal below

HI Az - Yes, it's peat free compost, coco coir and something they call Bio3, which is a combination of readily available and slow release fertilizers, plus some kind of water content regulator - NPK is something like 9-4-7, pH buffered 5.5 - 6.5
Just add water, though I did add citric to get to about pH 6.3-6.5 out of habit more than anything
Never saw even the slightest of yellowing until several weeks into flower when I added a bit of PK/CaMg
See Sweet Zombie Grow Journal below
Thanks, Roy. So, coco. I imagine you pH your water each time?

Ahh so it's coco? I would never have actually known that lol because I didn't check the ingredients, I see "compost" and assume soil :D I've never really grown anything or seen coco before so I'm clueless lol.

I haven't been PHing my water, I do have a tester that I've calibrated so I can start doing so, the plants are alive so no big deal that I haven't been so far I think!

Ahh so it's coco? I would never have actually known that lol because I didn't check the ingredients, I see "compost" and assume soil :D I've never really grown anything or seen coco before so I'm clueless lol.

I haven't been PHing my water, I do have a tester that I've calibrated so I can start doing so, the plants are alive so no big deal that I haven't been so far I think!
I don't grow in coco but I think @Bill284 will tell you it likes a lower pH than a soil mix would. And maybe Roy knows since it sounds like that's maybe what he grows in?

I'll do some research on it mate thanks, do you think the same general plan regarding 40% perlite/60% coco in the SIP bucket would be still okay? I'm not sure what changes with coco vs soil other than I know it drys out quicker, so maybe more watering?

And I know in general it has no nutrients but this one does have some added so I'm not sure if the feeding schedule I have for GH in soil would be about the same? At a guess I would think it's fine but just checking my plan is still good as I didn't realise this was a coco mix until now:rofl:

It's buffered compost and coco
Bill adds Myco, Frass & Bokashi so it's kind of organic in 50Gal pots just using coco as the base
Same thing really, but already prepared for smaller pots

:hookah:

Okay awesome thanks @Roy Growin and thanks @Azimuth.

I just need to be aiming for around 6pH right? I don't mind pHing my water/mix each time I just haven't been up until now :D

Does anyone know if I would need to add CalMag? Flora Micro does have calcium in and it's used from week 1 of veg all the way through to flush but I'm just not sure if it's enough?

Here are some pics of how they are doing today (Day 11):
One is a little stunted/smaller I think because of the seed being still attached and maybe impacting how fast the first leaves could form.

11133.jpg
11134.jpg
11135.jpg

Okay awesome thanks @Roy Growin and thanks @Azimuth.

I just need to be aiming for around 6pH right? I don't mind pHing my water/mix each time I just haven't been up until now :D

Does anyone know if I would need to add CalMag? Flora Micro does have calcium in and it's used from week 1 of veg all the way through to flush but I'm just not sure if it's enough?

Here are some pics of how they are doing today (Day 11):
One is a little stunted/smaller I think because of the seed being still attached and maybe impacting how fast the first leaves could form.

11133.jpg
11134.jpg
11135.jpg
Looking good, what you are doing is working fine
I'm not too fussy about pH unless it's hydro/coco nutrients which demand the pH range
My setup is down atm, so I'm a bit jealous, so it's nice to see your pics

*edit* yeah, CaMg/Fe keeps everything greener than green

I do know you're not supposed to let coco dry out and @Bill284 amends his coco with fresh and other things. I think the 60/40 ratio should be fine but the coco growers will have to weigh in on that one.

And Here is the @GeoFlora Nutrients discussion thread for some background.
It's hydrophobic.
If it dries it repels water.
So when you water it dry it just shoots through.
Doesn't get absorbed or held in the pot.
Keep it moist at all times.
With nutrients.
Never plain water.
It'll be fine.
Take care. :high-five:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I don't grow in coco but I think @Bill284 will tell you it likes a lower pH than a soil mix would. And maybe Roy knows since it sounds like that's maybe what he grows in?
Coco has a couple parameters to follow.
Full strength nutrients every day until runoff at 5.8 ph.
You need calmag in your water 10-minutes before the nutrients.
Last thing is set that ph to 5.8 exactly.
Keep your coco damp all the time.
But never any plain water.
Always full strength nutrients.
Do that and you will not have issues.
Anything I can help with let me know.
Take care.

Stay safe

Looking good, what you are doing is working fine
I'm not too fussy about pH unless it's hydro/coco nutrients which demand the pH range
My setup is down atm, so I'm a bit jealous, so it's nice to see your pics

*edit* yeah, CaMg/Fe keeps everything greener than green
Awesome cheers man, hopefully your back up and running soon, those big bud pics are to die for!! I'd definitely like to see more in future.

I am using GH flora line which is hydro I think so I will be careful to pH everything in future. I've not added any CalMag yet so I guess I will start asap as it's been 11 days with only tap water.

Coco has a couple parameters to follow.
Full strength nutrients every day until runoff at 5.8 ph.
You need calmag in your water 10-minutes before the nutrients.
Last thing is set that ph to 5.8 exactly.
Keep your coco damp all the time.
But never any plain water.
Always full strength nutrients.
Do that and you will not have issues.
Anything I can help with let me know.
Take care.

Stay safe
Ok thanks a lot @Bill284 , it's amended coco I believe so I think that's why I've gotten away with plain water for these 11 days lol. I will start adding nutrients asap it's only three days till the feed schedule says to add them (week 1 of veg) so should I be good to maybe start the veg nutrients now do you think?? The feed schedule I'm using is on my first post.

I did unfortunately let the top of the coco dry out but it seems to be okay after the last 3 days or so of spraying it daily.

It won't be possible to achieve runoff because I will be using a sub irrigated planter but I have a water level so can see when the res has been drained and always keep on top of it.

Okay so I get my water, add calmag (Not sure how much of this but I'll check the package) and wait ten mins then add the rest of my nutrients. Then make sure the final mix is 5.8pH. Sounds good thank you :)

Up until now I've basically just been bottom watering with plain water which seems like it maybe wasn't the best idea for coco lol, thankfully the plants seem to be doing just fine and will hopefully relish the new ph'd and nutrient filled water :D

Awesome cheers man, hopefully your back up and running soon, those big bud pics are to die for!! I'd definitely like to see more in future.

I am using GH flora line which is hydro I think so I will be careful to pH everything in future. I've not added any CalMag yet so I guess I will start asap as it's been 11 days with only tap water.

Ok thanks a lot @Bill284 , it's amended coco I believe so I think that's why I've gotten away with plain water for these 11 days lol. I will start adding nutrients asap it's only three days till the feed schedule says to add them (week 1 of veg) so should I be good to maybe start the veg nutrients now do you think?? The feed schedule I'm using is on my first post.

I did unfortunately let the top of the coco dry out but it seems to be okay after the last 3 days or so of spraying it daily.

It won't be possible to achieve runoff because I will be using a sub irrigated planter but I have a water level so can see when the res has been drained and always keep on top of it.

Okay so I get my water, add calmag (Not sure how much of this but I'll check the package) and wait ten mins then add the rest of my nutrients. Then make sure the final mix is 5.8pH. Sounds good thank you :)

Up until now I've basically just been bottom watering with plain water which seems like it maybe wasn't the best idea for coco lol, thankfully the plants seem to be doing just fine and will hopefully relish the new ph'd and nutrient filled water :D
Good morning Amigo. :ciao:
I love coco, great stuff.
If you can mix a batch of nutrients and feed right away I'd do it.
Then just feed daily using their schedule exactly as stated.
You have the procedure listed correctly there.:thumb:
The reason we feed to run off is the volume of nutrients used.
I feed till it pours out.
That way any salts or remnants in the coco are washed out.
You never get a deficiency if you do this.
Otherwise flushes of the pot may be required.
Just remember coco is hydrophobic.
So if it dries at all it actually repells water.
That's why we keep it moist at all times.
That and the roots.
How was your weekend my friend?

Stay safe

Good morning Amigo. :ciao:
I love coco, great stuff.
If you can mix a batch of nutrients and feed right away I'd do it.
Then just feed daily using their schedule exactly as stated.
You have the procedure listed correctly there.:thumb:
The reason we feed to run off is the volume of nutrients used.
I feed till it pours out.
That way any salts or remnants in the coco are washed out.
You never get a deficiency if you do this.
Otherwise flushes of the pot may be required.
Just remember coco is hydrophobic.
So if it dries at all it actually repells water.
That's why we keep it moist at all times.
That and the roots.
How was your weekend my friend?

Stay safe
Thanks a lot Bill, my weekend was great but always feels too short! What about yours mate?

I'm with you now, and so I think there is an issue with my plan to use a SIP and my revelation that I am using coco. I don't think SIP works with coco right? That's why my plan maybe doesn't line up now as I am not planning to top feed and I'm not sure this watering method and coco vibe together.

So really I need to either switch to soil when I transplant into a SIP or skip the grobuckets and use the 5gal buckets with coco and just water from the top?

Can I transplant a coco seedling into soil or would that cause issues?

The way I see it I need to either switch medium or switch my plan for watering, and the reason I've chosen SIP for this first grow is hopefully to overachieve on results and skip some of the headaches new growers have with under or overwatering so I think ideally switching to soil upon transplant would be optimal?

Sorry lots of question marks as I'm obviously clueless and trying to figure it out as I go along lol.

For now I can just make sure the coco stays moist and mix a feed to be used for the next few days/weeks until it's ready for transplant.

Back
Top Bottom