Welcome All My Friends To The Show That Never Ends - Canna M & Nismo12 Team Up!

So what is the definitive deal with CS... Having a small convo over at Weaselcrackers place; I have drunk the stuff and it is sold everywhere as a "health" tonic....
What is the difference between drinking and inhaling it..? I know it's not a heavy metal. I found today adverts for CS vapour therapy for Cystic Fibrosis.....
My point is; why is it toxic to inhale?? Not arguing, really wanna know.. Not much on the internet that I've been able to find other than "It's probably not a Health Tonic after all" type stuff..
Still plenty out there that swear by it...

Sorry you are right, Dep. But apparently not toxic, can be treated as "noble"...
Just down the page there is an article on how IT IS toxic like "other heavy metals"... They use it in teeth fillings, FCS, so how bad can it be?
Like I say, I'm a bit confused by it all... If you can drink it and not die (I last drank it 20 odd years ago, still here), how would inhaling it be any different?
TONS of contradictory info on the intrawebs...

Sorry you are right, Dep. But apparently not toxic, can be treated as "noble"...
Just down the page there is an article on how IT IS toxic like "other heavy metals"... They use it in teeth fillings, FCS, so how bad can it be?
Like I say, I'm a bit confused by it all... If you can drink it and not die (I last drank it 20 odd years ago, still here), how would inhaling it be any different?
TONS of contradictory info on the intrawebs...

I do not know what the health risks are, but I do know virtually everything I've read on the subject warns heavily against smoking any part of the plant that has been treated. Here's an excerpt from one article I pulled up quickly:

One other thing to watch with this method is that any part of the Marijuana plant that has been sprayed with Colloidal Silver cannot be used for Marijuana, repeat MUST NOT be used for marijuana.

Here's another:

CAUTION: First be completely aware that any part of a plant that you spray with colloidal silver IS NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION (smoking or ingesting). The pollen created is completely safe to use and all seeds created with that pollen are safe.

And, here's a thread on it here:

How to Use Colloidal Silver to Produce Feminized Seeds

Almost,
sorry i dont know how to only highlight the section im talking about i am referring to the last line only , which is " when you plant 10 of those seeds most will be the same pheno"

im saying i agree a strain to be considered stable when you get to that stage , the f1 f2 etc i didnt extrapalate on ,thankyou for pointing this out !
F1 is the result of crossing 2 separate breeds, f2 are the seeds from the chosen offspring of the f1 that are then bred. Once that special F2 plant is found you will need to cross it with another F2 from the same seed batch, then you back cross to the f2 mom to create f3.

Nismo and Cannas first seed will be f1 if they cross breeds

Sometime three pheno strains are a blessing imho offering the possibility to find what you like not what the breeder likes and still potent and vigorous.[

Morning everyone, stopping by to catch up on the chat around here :) :passitleft:

I had noticed a few of you talking about why it would or would not be safe to smoke marijuana that had been treated with CS for breeding/seed purposes.
The one thing that came to my mind that no one else had brought up was the fact that when a heavy metal is first heated or burned it gives off gasses that you do not want to be inhaling. Think of something as simple as welding or soldering without gasses, it still gives off a vapor/smoke that doesn't smell the greatest, what do we think is in that vapor? I am going say it's a type of gas.

Here is another way to look at it, not sure if it would be the same for silver but you will get the idea. Would you smoke from a piece of copper? I know I wouldn't.. Take a torch and hold it to piece of copper, or any other fresh metal that hasn't been coated or burned, and just watch as the gasses and smoke start to come off the metal. This is why I am guessing all of our metal pipes that we smoke from are coated, so that we aren't burning the bare metal itself. Has anyone ever noticed the difference in taste from smoking out of a glass pipe vs metal? I have.

This all just popped into my head for some reason after my wake n' bake after reading thru the previous posts. I am not a scientist by any means and maybe none of this is even fact. But in my mind, I wouldn't smoke anything from a bare metal. I even hit my new steel pipe screens with a lighter for 10 or 15 seconds before using them and you can see a little extra smoke/vapor come off them, especially if you use brass screens instead!

Here is something else I just found about the topic from an educational site after I made my last post. It was still boggling my mind so I had to look for something. I give total credit to dartmouth.edu for this information.

Is Silver Harmful to Humans?
Unlike other metals such as lead and mercury, silver is not toxic to humans and is not known to cause cancer, reproductive or neurological damage, or other chronic adverse effects. Nor has normal day-to-day contact with solid silver coins, spoons or bowls been found to affect human health. This is because solid silver is almost completely biologically inert, and even if ingested, would pass through the human body without being absorbed into tissues.

In very high doses — such as those a factory worker might encounter in an accident — or from prolonged exposure to silver dust or fumes, silver can have some mostly mild effects on health. For example, inhaling silver fumes or dust may irritate mucous membranes or the upper respiratory tract.

Occasionally, sensitive individuals suffer allergic reactions — contact dermatitis or eye irritation — after exposure to powdered silver, silver solutions or dental fillings. Similarly, skin creams containing silver compounds (silver nitrate and silver sulphadiazine) cause local skin discoloration in certain sensitive individuals. Ingesting silver compounds, such as in medicines, can sometimes irritate the stomach.

Prolonged exposure to silver dust or to the silver compounds in medicines or supplements can also result in a permanent blue-gray staining of the eyes, nose, mouth, throat and skin. This blue-gray staining is known medically as “argyria.” The condition can make people look ill, as if they suffering from lack of oxygen. Once a person turns blue from argyria, the skin coloring is unfortunately permanent. Most medical professionals believe argyria is the most serious known health effect of silver on humans. Aside from its permanent cosmetic effect, argyria is not believed to pose any other risk to human health.

The mild, observed human health effects of silver exposure appear to be highly variable from one person or situation to another. Scientists have not identified exposure levels that can be generalized as harmful.

Who is at Risk of Harm from Silver?
People who are most vulnerable to minor health effects from silver (including allergic contact dermatitis, or irritation of the eyes, mucous membranes, upper respiratory tract irritation, or the stomach) are those who work in factories where silver is manufactured into electrical or photography equipment, with fumes or dust resulting. Others who may be exposed to elevated levels of silver are those who work with silver in melting, casting, grinding, polishing or etching operations. In factory environments where high exposures to silver dust or fumes are likely, protective clothing, gloves, eye goggles and ventilators or respirator equipment can prevent ill effects.

Morning everyone, stopping by to catch up on the chat around here :) :passitleft:

I had noticed a few of you talking about why it would or would not be safe to smoke marijuana that had been treated with CS for breeding/seed purposes.
The one thing that came to my mind that no one else had brought up was the fact that when a heavy metal is first heated or burned it gives off gasses that you do not want to be inhaling. Think of something as simple as welding or soldering without gasses, it still gives off a vapor/smoke that doesn't smell the greatest, what do we think is in that vapor? I am going say it's a type of gas.

Here is another way to look at it, not sure if it would be the same for silver but you will get the idea. Would you smoke from a piece of copper? I know I wouldn't.. Take a torch and hold it to piece of copper, or any other fresh metal that hasn't been coated or burned, and just watch as the gasses and smoke start to come off the metal. This is why I am guessing all of our metal pipes that we smoke from are coated, so that we aren't burning the bare metal itself. Has anyone ever noticed the difference in taste from smoking out of a glass pipe vs metal? I have.

This all just popped into my head for some reason after my wake n' bake after reading thru the previous posts. I am not a scientist by any means and maybe none of this is even fact. But in my mind, I wouldn't smoke anything from a bare metal. I even hit my new steel pipe screens with a lighter for 10 or 15 seconds before using them and you can see a little extra smoke/vapor come off them, especially if you use brass screens instead!
Being a welder myself I notice this everyday. I didn't give it a second thought considering its what I am around daily. I wouldn't want to smoke it and I wouldn't even want to smoke some that have had nutes are pesticides all over the buds either. Just my opinion. You can count the CS plant a loss in that you can't smoke it but you are gaining a lot more. So it is a long term investment rather than a quick gain.

Thanks for posting that though. I forgot to add that to my original breeding post that you don't want to smoke, vape, or consume sprayed plants. Once pollination has been done, the plant is rendered useless and needs to be disposed of.

Good points made by yourself as well! I do wonder though.. Would the plant still be good for a topical treatment sort of like what Canna uses for her wrist? You wouldn't be smoking anything this way and if you were make something like this I'm sure you could filter it to remove and silver particles and then apply to the skin. Just a thought :) Otherwise it will go great in your compost lol

From flip.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

I was hoping to revisit this from a bunch of pages back since there were conflicting answers. My clones were flipped about 7 weeks ago and started showing lady parts 5 weeks ago, they are from bag seed so I don't have breeder info. How will I know when it's ready to chop? I will experiment with the clones and make notes so I know better when to flip the big plants. I have my 420 scope and am getting used to it.

Thanks CaNis for such an enjoyable and informative journal!

Rock on!

:theband:

I was hoping to revisit this from a bunch of pages back since there were conflicting answers. My clones were flipped about 7 weeks ago and started showing lady parts 5 weeks ago, they are from bag seed so I don't have breeder info. How will I know when it's ready to chop? I will experiment with the clones and make notes so I know better when to flip the big plants. I have my 420 scope and am getting used to it.

Rock on!

That's the issue, from flip is when plant shift phases. Regardless of pistols hormone changes start and root growth stops. Your leafs have a life cycle and will start to spot or show def's around 6 to 7 weeks from flip. I start flushing then and grow to tast from there. Counting 3 weeks later us good because it keeps new growers going at least 56 days. Because most new people have none and are in a hurry to smoke. You flowers swell in last few weeks and I pulled one sister plant at 65 days, 178 g dry, other 79 days 203 g dry. Both great but sill going post 65 days for Sour D, 8 week strain by breeder (clone's)

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Rock on!

After doing a little more research if the breeders say 60 days, then it is 60 days from the moment you flip to 12/12. I thought it would be once you saw Flowers but I was wrong. When you get to week 7 of an 8-10 week plant, you need to be checking on the trics.

Rock on!

NOTE: As you've probably seen just from reading breader info on seeds, there can be huge swings between two different strains as to the timing for harvest. I've seen some that literally finish in about 45 days. Some of those Sativas, I've seen go something like 110 days.

There is no real "right time" to harvest since timing to harvest is largely based on personal preference of the effects you want, which is why you'll always hearing me recommending to sample as harvest gets close.

If you harvest early, the THC content will be higher which produces more of a cerebral “head high”. In the later stages of budding, the THC starts to turn into CBD which will give you more of a "couchlock" effect.

There are a number of signs to look for that indicate you're close to harvest. They stop producing those white pistils and about 50%-70% of those white pistils will turn red and get, what I call, "absorbed" into the bud, calyxes start swelling, etc.

Here's a good graphic on harvesting by Trichome color:

harvest55.jpg

I hope that helps!
:Namaste:

NOTE: As you've probably seen just from reading breader info on seeds, there can be huge swings between two different strains as to the timing for harvest. I've seen some that literally finish in about 45 days. Some of those Sativas, I've seen go something like 110 days.

There is no real "right time" to harvest since timing to harvest is largely based on personal preference of the effects you want, which is why you'll always hearing me recommending to sample as harvest gets close.

If you harvest early, the THC content will be higher which produces more of a cerebral "head high". In the later stages of budding, the THC starts to turn into CBD which will give you more of a "couchlock" effect.

There are a number of signs to look for that indicate you're close to harvest. They stop producing those white pistils and about 50%-70% of those white pistils will turn red and get, what I call, "absorbed" into the bud, calyxes start swelling, etc.

Here's a good graphic on harvesting by Trichome color:

harvest55.jpg

I hope that helps!
:Namaste:
I love charts! I saved it so I can share with others. Thanks Mr Krip!

Back
Top Bottom