Graytail's 3rd: 4x4, HiBrix, Latest LED Tech, Lots Of Light!

All 4 of my girls that I did a 50 day veg on still have paired nodes, my cheese candy has a main stem on it that has triple nodes if you can picture what I'm saying :jawdropper: I don't know if it was genetics, my training or the amount of light... still kind of a noob to indoor:smokin: hopefully they keep it up they're on day 15 of flower.

I've only had a few plants that kept their paired nodes into bloom. I meant in veg, when the plant is big enough to train, 8-12 inches tall. By then, mine usually have some wimpy lower branches and a bunch of good ones, with little new ones at the top. At that age, most of my seedling plants are still growing paired nodes. Clones have alternate nodes from day one. The seedlings will start to alternate nodes at, what, 40-50 days? Rarely, they'll keep paired nodes all the way - those have a really nice look to them - fat pompom nugs at every node. :love:

That's weird, I was just thinking about my tangie that has paired nodes and is flowering right now and you guys are here talking about it! Small world haha.

I've never had it happen before but sure enough my tangie is paired on both main tops all the way up and just finished stretching and recieced its first cat drench. Can't wait to see how it comes out :)

The ghost train haze that I just grew from seed with a 1 month veg time kept duel nodes all the way through flower on every branch. It finished at about 3 feet tall from the top of the pot.

Yeah, I could see a real short veg time doing that maybe? I vegged mine a while, at least month and a half, and topped it.

All 4 of my girls that I did a 50 day veg on still have paired nodes, my cheese candy has a main stem on it that has triple nodes if you can picture what I'm saying :jawdropper: I don't know if it was genetics, my training or the amount of light... still kind of a noob to indoor:smokin: hopefully they keep it up they're on day 15 of flower.

I stand amazed and corrected, I have rarely done under a 75 day veg...
I'm going to have to keep quiet around you growers... My ignorance is looming large :)

I stand amazed and corrected, I have rarely done under a 75 day veg...
I'm going to have to keep quiet around you growers... My ignorance is looming large :)

:laughtwo:

It's a fun plant to grow. :cheesygrinsmiley: That triple node thing, or spiral nodes, are fun to see, too. And there's the polyploids, where you get two shoots at each node, instead of just one.

I wonder if there's something about the DNA of cannabis. :hmmmm: It'd be interesting to see it sequenced - seems like it has a lot of extra genes that turn on and off.

Take into consideration, the amount of times humans have cross bred this plant, each breeding changes genetics, minute and usually insignificant.. Most breeders/labs and growers only take notice to a select handfull of these genes: seed-2-harvest, height, weight, taste, smell, color and potency. What about all the rest? Dont be suprised when we start popping 12pointed fans consistantly or 3 shoots per node, or ...etc..

Spiral nodes? Is that the term Gray I just want to be using the correct term, don't wanna be no dummy haha

I recently saw it described that way, and I liked the term. :cheesygrinsmiley: I've grown a few plants with triple nodes, and when they go alternate they look like a spiral up the stem. They usually go normal by the time they get into bloom, though. How old is yours?

Take into consideration, the amount of times humans have cross bred this plant, each breeding changes genetics, minute and usually insignificant.. Most breeders/labs and growers only take notice to a select handfull of these genes: seed-2-harvest, height, weight, taste, smell, color and potency. What about all the rest? Dont be suprised when we start popping 12pointed fans consistantly or 3 shoots per node, or ...etc..

Yeah, someone needs to sequence it. Imagine being able to find the genes that control terpene production. :slide:

Graytail's updates inspired me to lop 8" off each of my two leaders on a Snowcap tonight.

If that isn't growing my skills, it sure keeps my ego humble looking at the fine apical foliage no longer attached.

Thanks for the inspiration GT

For those of you who would like to see what we and Rado were talking about, it was time to top Freddy's Best so I took a few pics. I started bending lower branches down to see if the node I had chosen was going to work the way I thought, and sure enough, after a few days it came right into shape.

DSCN9749.JPG

So today I topped 'er. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm gonna cut it wayyyy down here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSCN97501.JPG

Snip!

DSCN97511.JPG

Ouch!!!

DSCN9752.JPG

But she's so pretty now, and vigorous enough to burst into new growth. Wait until you see her next week! :allgood:

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but maybe you can bring me back up to speed.

Why do you let it grow that much just to chop half of it off? Couldn't you have topped it at that same node weeks ago and gotten the same result?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but maybe you can bring me back up to speed.

Why do you let it grow that much just to chop half of it off? Couldn't you have topped it at that same node weeks ago and gotten the same result?

Good question, and I'm not sure I have a correct answer - a lot of my technique is organically developed - things just end up this way. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It feels more blind when I try to train a younger plant because it's hard to know how the plant is going to grow. So I tend to wait and watch, and eventually the plant will go into its major veg growth and I'll have to do something before it's too late. I could simply count nodes, I suppose, and end up with the same thing. I want 4 good pairs of lower branches to get my 8-10 tops, and the first 4-5 pairs at the bottom are usually junk, so I'd be topping at about the 10th node.

I'm not sure it would make much difference in growth either. It seems like you've wasted weeks of growth when you hack it off, but the plant barely coughs. By that time it has a robust root system and will grow from wherever it can. :cheesygrinsmiley: Smaller plants often stall when I try to train them.

[Edit] It's the 10th paired node. With alternate nodes it's more.

How long do you usually veg for?

I've been going 80+ days lately. I'd rather keep it closer to 70. This Freddy's is 90 days and 18 inches tall (it was), but it had a hard time hooking up to the soil for some reason.

It feels more blind when I try to train a younger plant because it's hard to know how the plant is going to grow. So I tend to wait and watch, and eventually the plant will go into its major veg growth and I'll have to do something before it's too late. I could simply count nodes, I suppose, and end up with the same thing. I want 4 good pairs of lower branches to get my 8-10 tops, and the first 4-5 pairs at the bottom are usually junk, so I'd be topping at about the 10th node.

I'm not sure it would make much difference in growth either. It seems like you've wasted weeks of growth when you hack it off, but the plant barely coughs. By that time it has a robust root system and will grow from wherever it can. :cheesygrinsmiley: Smaller plants often stall when I try to train them.

Makes perfect sense to me. TY

Back
Top Bottom