Thai Stick

I love this thread by the way. Chock full of great info already and only 3 pages. Since I think you won't mind based on your earlier comments, Potchimp, here's a bit more. Most people know where Chiangmai is. Hat Yai is in the very south, also a cool city (figuratively speaking), well worth a visit though the southern provinces are a little different atmosphere/culture I suppose than what people experience further north, because they are mainly Moslem rather than Buddhist. I'm not sure how much the slight variation in daylight hours affects flowering. I suspect it does. I was going to slowly decrease the daylight hours on my MT down to 11 or 10 but it turned out I never needed to so I left well enough alone.
image22377.jpg
image22376.jpg

I had to go look that up. Hmmm... Yes and no. Mine is scrogged and I also tried LA's back building technique on it. Maybe because of that the buds are very fat and round. Some of them are way bigger than I expected. They are fluffy- but...big. I expected small stringy buds. Tell the truth though I didn't know quite what to expect since I'd never grown a sativa indoors. I could post a pic in a few days if it's not polluting your journal Potchimp. If I keep growing the MT I may start a journal of my own to contribute, because I could never find much info on it online.

Do they look anything like this? :cheesygrinsmiley:

20150318_132728.jpg

PC

I took seeds from this... purchased in Thailand and grew them out in a 4'w x 1'd x 5't space with 4' shop lights with grow bulbs.

thaistick_small.jpg

I grew them only 6" to 1' and then wacked them down to 10/14 I have been trying to find pics of the plants but 30 years has taken its toll on what I can find these days. I am still looking. The plants were typical sativa with good space between each bud. It did not take a year to complete. they only got about 4.5' and did well in that small space. Just don't veg for a long time or you will have an Amazon Mamma like that OTH monster...

It was posted on my thread as an example of backbuilding. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Its a great example I did it on one of mine and it worked

So far it looks like a good thing to do to a sativa. I will post a pic of mine tonight or tomorrow assuming PC doesn't mind all this stuff dropping in to his journal. The two plants I have flowering atm took a beating early on from a mishap so I'm not exactly proud of the look of the foliage but the buds are going strong. Jaga your name reminds me of a place I used to stay, Puri, in Orissa, scene of the famous Jagannath festival. I suspect that you know exactly what I'm talking about. I used to get some mediocre herb from the government bhang shop there, along with some good opium but that's another story... getting off topic lol.

PC

I took seeds from this... purchased in Thailand and grew them out in a 4'w x 1'd x 5't space with 4' shop lights with grow bulbs.

I grew them only 6" to 1' and then wacked them down to 10/14 I have been trying to find pics of the plants but 30 years has taken its toll on what I can find these days. I am still looking. The plants were typical sativa with good space between each bud. It did not take a year to complete. they only got about 4.5' and did well in that small space. Just don't veg for a long time or you will have an Amazon Mamma like that OTH monster...

F'n fabulous, Buckshot!!

That brought back memories of my first attempt! A cramped, short 5x12 room in the basement and shop lights. Later, I lit up a vertical 1000 watt MH in there. :laughtwo: I grew some pretty scraggly crap for the first couple rounds.

But wow, you managed a Thai in that small of a space. Wow, kudos, man!

What do you think of trying to flux a wild sativa? Looking back, my best successes were plants I either flipped quickly and let run untrained, or a heavily topped, semi-stunted one.

F'n fabulous, Buckshot!!

That brought back memories of my first attempt! A cramped, short 5x12 room in the basement and shop lights. Later, I lit up a vertical 1000 watt MH in there. :laughtwo: I grew some pretty scraggly crap for the first couple rounds.

But wow, you managed a Thai in that small of a space. Wow, kudos, man!

What do you think of trying to flux a wild sativa? Looking back, my best successes were plants I either flipped quickly and let run untrained, or a heavily topped, semi-stunted one.

I think you would be at it for at least a year... that is why I opt for grow it short and flip quick.

I don't mind the pics or info at all it's helping a lot. Yeah both those Old Timers Haze plants I just cut the branches off if it got too thick they hated defol too. Supercropping them just superstopped growth in that direction for a while then branch growth would cluster. :(
The fourth seedling came up; they all have a slight stretch but they're close to the bulbs so it shouldn't get bad. I'll take pics as soon as I can I'm tied up for now though I got a skin on pork belly to deal with if I can't find a big enough zipp lokk bag to brine cure it in I'm gonna have to freeze it for now. Then I'll trim the skin off smoke it and hang it in the kitchen it's not a well known scientific fact but us chimps like bacon! :thumb:

Here is my Mama Thai. Two of them anyway.
image22440.jpg

image22441.jpg

image22442.jpg

I sprouted the seeds on Dec 19. Put them in the flowering room on New Year's Day at 4-6" high. One topping each, some lst then the screen, and a bit of supercropping which they hated so I stopped. The screen is 19"x 24" with two plants under it. I counted the start of bud as Jan 15 for simplicity but that's a bit arbitrary. The 15th would make it 12 weeks now but it could just as easily be called 11. Its close to harvest now I think. I thought I might be a couple weeks away but I looked through the microscope tonight and I see mostly cloudy trichomes and even a couple amber. So it will be soon. Like I said, there was a bit of an overfeeding mishap fairly early on but it's done ok in spite of that. Like I also said, next time I'll veg a bit longer I was just being cautious, and try to fill the screen out better, with just one plant each screen. Hope this helps re your Thai.

Damn they get thick! I didn't think they would, looking back at the size of the few Thai sticks I've seen.
Here are all 4 seedlings at 1 week from hitting the wet paper towel (the Critical Jack seedling is the furthest one to the left; top row):

011996.JPG

In a few days they'll be going under a 200 watt CFL for a few weeks.

No kidding. I didn't think they would get so thick and big either. Thanks Light Addict!

Edit- I had a thought - maybe not a very good thought, but.....
Maybe this: "Supercropping them just superstopped growth in that direction for a while then branch growth would cluster." applies to the backbuilding somewhat also? I mean, obviously it does but perhaps your Thai sativa will take to it even more than some strains?

Back
Top Bottom