A Video Journal With Pigeons420 - 2016

Very impressive buds! Did the same thing yesterday, but my buds looked nothing like that :love: Also bud washed, but I only used two instead of three water buckets. Do you think the third really makes a lot of difference? I have two very deep sinks in kitchen, and I guess I could add a pail rinse at the end, if it really, really made a difference. Thoughts? Thanks for the video, awesome as always :thumb:

Why thank you! They look just as gorgeous this morning!

:passitleft:

Beautiful harvest! Well done sir. :high-five: :high-five:
I bet she smells amazing. We haven't grown a cheese yet but definitely on my list of wants.

The smell is incredible! Some very potent stuff! I think you guys could work some pretty impeccable magic on this strain if you gave it a shot

Extra ordinary super nice harvest!!:goodjob:
and reps for video again !

:high-five:

You're too kind!

Very impressive buds! Did the same thing yesterday, but my buds looked nothing like that :love: Also bud washed, but I only used two instead of three water buckets. Do you think the third really makes a lot of difference? I have two very deep sinks in kitchen, and I guess I could add a pail rinse at the end, if it really, really made a difference. Thoughts? Thanks for the video, awesome as always :thumb:

I've also used just 2 buckets. I believe I do this in my budwashing video. But I do recommend 3. It's that extra guarantee that you remove any unwanted extra lemon juice and baking soda.

You'll be fine this time with the two sinks or what have you. And the smaller the harvest the less drips from one bucket to the next so the 2nd bucket could be cleaning just as effectively.

Cheers Willy'sMom!!

Fabulous harvest video Pigeons! :high-five: Impressed as hell over the time lapse. Wish I could have given you +Reps twice.

May I ask, why do you harvest your Cheeses early? Also, I never noticed the board you have braced against the one branch. Neat. I'll remember that.

That was such an excellent demonstration of the budwashing. Thank you for that. Let me mention that if you have any mold problems you can do a wash with peroxide. I just love the way ibudwashing brightens up the color.

Good work. :love: :hug: :love:

Fabulous harvest video Pigeons! :high-five: Impressed as hell over the time lapse. Wish I could have given you +Reps twice.

May I ask, why do you harvest your Cheeses early? Also, I never noticed the board you have braced against the one branch. Neat. I'll remember that.

That was such an excellent demonstration of the budwashing. Thank you for that. Let me mention that if you have any mold problems you can do a wash with peroxide. I just love the way ibudwashing brightens up the color.

Good work. :love: :hug: :love:

Thanks muchly Susan!!:love:

I prefer the effect of an earlier harvested cheese. It has the most taste and smack to the face than if it's done a little later. I thought there was a bigger impact.

Congrats on another successful harvest my friend. Those are some big ass buds. Can't wait to see what the nugs look like going in the jars.

Cheers
:roorrip:

Here's a video for you my man! Lots of love! I'll do another video with it all scattered on the table.

I have been drying the same amount of time as you. Do you feel as though washing the buds takes some of the smell and or taste away from the bud. What I notice with my buds is they smell like nothing on the outside and they smell lovely when they are ground up. Do you get the same experience?

Cheers pigeons

About Bud Washing, have you tried doing it in a bubble bag filter 0.25 microns to see if you loose a lot of trichomes?

I have nothing against washing except that you may look some trichs, and it may not wash fibers of fabric that may be stuck in buds (if washing can remove them, then it can remove trichomes too). Personnally, i used to "live wash" by spraying regularily, but now I have several layers of filters on all the tent intakes. The only i don't have is an HEPA filter, but i have all the others including formadelhyde catchers.. and I have much less dust and external stuff since i installed the filters (except that I still go in the tent with cloths, so there might be contamination sometimes).

It is not another critcism, just a reaction for a different method.

I still think that washing in a 0.25 miucron bubble bag is the way to see if you loose trichomes or not.

I should try washing because - if i remember well - the taste is slightly less harsh sometimes ? or does it change nothing in taste ? (i think i tried once with so else's weed).

cheers, take care

I have been drying the same amount of time as you. Do you feel as though washing the buds takes some of the smell and or taste away from the bud. What I notice with my buds is they smell like nothing on the outside and they smell lovely when they are ground up. Do you get the same experience?

Cheers pigeons

I don't think I've noticed a difference in smell. But I've washed every harvest for the last 20 some harvests. So, perhaps I'm biased to the process.
But you're right that a ground up herb has so much more smell to it!! I'm just not sure if that can be attributed with the washing process.

Cheers Holmes!

About Bud Washing, have you tried doing it in a bubble bag filter 0.25 microns to see if you loose a lot of trichomes?

I have nothing against washing except that you may look some trichs, and it may not wash fibers of fabric that may be stuck in buds (if washing can remove them, then it can remove trichomes too). Personnally, i used to "live wash" by spraying regularily, but now I have several layers of filters on all the tent intakes. The only i don't have is an HEPA filter, but i have all the others including formadelhyde catchers.. and I have much less dust and external stuff since i installed the filters (except that I still go in the tent with cloths, so there might be contamination sometimes).

It is not another critcism, just a reaction for a different method.

I still think that washing in a 0.25 miucron bubble bag is the way to see if you loose trichomes or not.

I should try washing because - if i remember well - the taste is slightly less harsh sometimes ? or does it change nothing in taste ? (i think i tried once with so else's weed).

cheers, take care

I don't understand your belief that if the wash could loosen fibers from the sticky trichomes it would remove the trichomes. The initial wash is designed to loosen anything that's sticking to the buds and leaves. The next two washes are simply to clean off the first wash and leave the buds clean.

If you're being careful to keep the branches from banging against the sides and bottom of the pot you won't be knocking trichomes off. The trichomes don't get damaged in this process. There've been quite a number of members over the years check to be sure. Properly executed the trichome loss is negligible.

I like your idea of filters at the intake. That'll significantly reduce dust and particulates entering, but you'll be shedding hair and skin every time you enter. You use no foliars?

In my experience the bud wash has no effect on taste. As noted, it'll reduce smell initially, but with the cure that returns. Some say it's even enhanced.

I don't understand your belief that if the wash could loosen fibers from the sticky trichomes it would remove the trichomes. .

Hi Sue, that's since I can macro-pictures and see what things are in reality.

Contrary to grease and micro particles that the baking soda+lemon easily wash off, fibers on the other hand are intermangled in leaves and trichomes and they will not fall by gravity or by acid or surfactants. Only clamp tweezers (for ex) can pull them out. If you wash them, you'll get clean fibers, but they should still be there.So if the water strain can remove them, then it is strong enough to remove a lot of other stuff :) But it is not a strain of water, just a bath. I doubt it will remove the fibers i am talking about.

Macro picture is how I discovered those fibers, and since i use filters i found one or two, but most shots are virgin of any external element. I am below 5% of what i had before, if i beleive what i see in pictures.

I would need a window to stop opening the tent's door, and i would certainly go below 1%. I am also building a purifier to filter the air before it goes to the tent. May be I need an airtight grow tent with two gloves or robotic arms to manipulate plants from the outside.. :)

that's why I was mainly asking if it was ever tried with a bubble bag so everyone can see if solids are removed (fibers, trichomes etc). That would give a begining of proof that everyone can see and close the debate, if there is any debate. Please also note that I used to do some kind of washing too, eventhough only with selected water and in a "rain simulation" rather than a bath with cleaning products, but why not :) .

PS: washing with baking soda could be the best way to get rid of the calcar/tartar produced by humidifiers inside the room, and that would end up on buds even if the external air is perfectly filtered. You probably need to use both methods if you want a really clean (pure) weed.

Great discussion. I'll chime in real soon.

Cloning!

Wow! I had so much success doing it all wrong and expecting it to work. :laughtwo: I cut the tops of the branches off, scraped the skin on the lower portions, dipped them in rooting hormone and stuck them into Rapid Rooters that'd been soaked in water with aloe vera gel mixed in. Popped those babies into plastic produce bags filled with my own exhaled breath - a la lembatoast, one of my favorite members - and left them alone for three days at a time. With only one application of more aloe water with a splash of Full-Power (no real reason for that) and some Agsil16 (no reason for that either) I had roots on clones by nine days.

Didn't trim any leaves. Didn't spray anything down. I had to set an alarm to remind me to check on them, I was so laissez faire about it. Ended up with clones that look like this one, six days old now and ready to go under the big lights.

image18390.jpeg

That TOAST knows what he's doing, but I surprised even him with the success I had with not only the aloe but with the size of the cuttings I took. These are in one gallon pots.

image18391.jpeg

It's beginning to look like I know what I'm doing here.

that's why I was mainly asking if it was ever tried with a bubble bag so everyone can see if solids are removed (fibers, trichomes etc). That would give a begining of proof that everyone can see and close the debate, if there is any debate. Please also note that I used to do some kind of washing too, eventhough only with selected water and in a "rain simulation" rather than a bath with cleaning products, but why not :) .

PS: washing with baking soda could be the best way to get rid of the calcar/tartar produced by humidifiers inside the room, and that would end up on buds even if the external air is perfectly filtered. You probably need to use both methods if you want a really clean (pure) weed.

My buddy and I used bubble bags for a personal experiment, convincing him to wash, so we didn't take any photos. We did Portion one, washed with bubble bags filtering falloff, Portion 2 harvested and hung to dry. Both portions had microscreens underneath them as they hung to dry.

Results: Washing resulted in dog/cat hair (he doesn't even own a dog or cat), Human hair (fine arm hair and courser beard/mustache/nose hair?) very few dead trichs, dirt, a few bugs he didn't know he had, some fuzz. Now as far as the drying, this was key, washing played a bigger role here. In his dry room their is a fan but not directly on the hanging plants so the plants slightly sway. From the time they were hung to taken down, the unwashed buds had more trichs fall off than the unwashed and they were pulled down 2 days sooner because they dried faster. The washed buds looked fuller when pulled down and had dried more evenly. It lost no additional trichs and nothing else fell off. The unwashed also had some dirt and particles on the screen which means the hair and bugs found in the washed, were probably still in the unwashed buds.

Smoke test: Smell was the same, I don't think the burning hair, dirt, and bugs was enough to be significant.

Taste: We both agreed the washed tasted better, possibly because the smoke was smoother and less harsh. I would compare it to smoking a bong with ice in it (washed) and without ice (unwashed).

Burn:No significant difference.

High: Same.

Curing: Washed buds were stickier and looked like they were paid for. The unwashed were still sticky but looked like they were grown under lesser conditions. The color was better on the washed buds and more sparkly.

Overall the washing makes a smoother smoked version of your grow. It's a little more effort but I think the payoff is worth it. If you put all that money into nutrients, light, environment, why go half ass at the finish. Even if the only significant reward is the smooth draw, I find it rewarding. It's like sitting on the beach smoking a Cuban rolled off a beautiful woman's thigh compared to a cuban put together by an old lady hacking her lungs out and wiping her mouth as she rolls it as you sit in a back alley. As far as drying, maybe that extra moisture from the wash gives the healthy trichs more longevity. I cannot confirm, I'm a pothead not a scientist Jim.

Again, no photos, I didn't think about it since all of my friends now wash. The proof is in the results. You've got nothing to lose but an extra 20 minutes and few extra days of drying. Colorado is so dry that I appreciate those extra days. I've found a slower even dry to have better results and easier to maintain the humidity through the cure. Even the guys at the Hydro stores I use thought I was nuts and now they wash too after I gave them samples. A few of my friends grow for dispensaries and started getting more money for washing. The dispensaries were not aware of the washing but they thought the product was superior over the unwashed.

Good tip on not waiting for the "clean snap" on the stems when drying. I just let a couple of plants dry to long on my last harvest. When you squeeze the buds pieces would crumble and fall off.

My home remedy - I put a small slice of carrot (1/2" dia x 1/8" thick) in each quart jar of weed. After 24 hours the carrot is shriveled and dehydrated and the weed is moist again. It still crumbles easier than I would want but at least the buds don't fall apart from handling them. Iceberg lettuce works best but I didn't have any on hand. Never use anything with starch and/or sugar (i.e. potato, apple etc...) as it will change the smell and taste of the weed.

That cheese looks excellent, Pigeons!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom