Screenshot (840).png

There is every indication that I have two more small autos on my hands. They both showed preflower today and I consider them a little young to be flowering. The Chocodope is in range, but the Blueberry is still a teenage plant.

I topped them both, Blueberry after the 4th node, and Chocodope after the 5th. I thought with such a small plant I should try for more bounty on a couple of extra branches. I don't like this stage, it makes me anxious not knowing what to expect from the plants. I desire to become an auto whisperer. I wish I could read the plants better. Time, time and experience.

Here are some piccies:

Chocodope

Blueberry

Highya Carmen,

I don't get why the lawmakers are so anal when it comes to cannabis legalization!! I would that all lawmakers try cannabis for a few days before they consider legislating for the general population!! There's a lot more legal stuff that's bad for us than cannabis (which is good for us)!! Same here in the States! Happy Smokin'
Bode, I think they are greedy ass mofos to be frank. I think they have an eye for the main chance and want to cash in. There is zero sense of public good. Sad, so thank goodness for the wonder herb that smooths over all the rough spots and makes it feel alright :passitleft:
Do an internet search for Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

I had suspected old age like you, but was corrected on that.

My vegetable gardening experience did have a thought flash through my head that it was TMV.

MGM
I'm going to have a google in a minute. Thanks MGM!
plus more than half the population likely smokes here. In Africa, things take a loooooooooooong time and still go nowhere.
It makes me mal!
Hey Carmen,

I was only asking about trichs to rule out possibilities. If it looked like it might be finishing but all the trichs are still clear, then you would know it wasn't ready, is where I was going with that.

They don't look too bad other than the leaf problem. If they only have 3 weeks left by the calendar then I would continue with the banana tea just to see, and unless someone can properly diagnose it, I would just try to limp them through.

Don't worry about a root drench, that ship has sailed. I just suggested it because I still think it's a potassium deficiency exagerated by Calmag, but the calmag you added is well on it's way to being used up by now.

See what you can figure out on this plant, decide if its the plant, the soil, or something you have done, and prepare by observing, for your next run with this brand of soil.
Thanks Gee man, that helps me to relax a bit. Good advice.
I'm new on the forum but I'm seeing you and few others are from South Africa? When I was in high school I got to visit Cape Town and surf Jeffery's Bay. Loved your town!!
I'm so happy to hear that :) Welcome to 420 Mag.
I lived in Cape Town, Melkbosstrand, Greenpoint, Bo Kaap Greenpoint but I’m English. This was between 2004 and early 2010 so I know the country a bit.

Its kif when its kif, and sif when its sif

Just maybe the weirdest country in the world and I’ve lived in Europe (two countries) Africa and Asia (two countries)

Its like none the others 🤣
Hehehe :love:

Congratulations on the outdoor harvest! I'm really digging those purple flowers and I hope it lives up to all your expectations.

:welldone:on the outside grow!
Thank you Shed :) I'm glad I to know that I can slip a discreet auto into the outside garden without drawing attention! It makes me hopeful for next year.

Thank you Shed :) I'm glad I to know that I can slip a discreet auto into the outside garden without drawing attention! It makes me hopeful for next year.
I love that photo that you shared. You made your plant decorative, similar to ornamental kale. I found the photo inspirational regarding put that particular weed in my naturalized bird and butterfly garden.

Also, BTW, your photo proves the exception to the tip I shared with GDB. Your background gives context. And I love it!

MGM

I love that photo that you shared. You made your plant decorative, similar to ornamental kale. I found the photo inspirational regarding put that particular weed in my naturalized bird and butterfly garden.

Also, BTW, your photo proves the exception to the tip I shared with GDB. Your background gives context. And I love it!

MGM
A naturalized bird and butterfly garden sounds lovely, and thank you!
How do you achieve those dark, moody shots? Are you shooting in the dark and lighting the plant? How do you set up the shot?

A naturalized bird and butterfly garden sounds lovely, and thank you!
How do you achieve those dark, moody shots? Are you shooting in the dark and lighting the plant? How do you set up the shot?
You are welcome.

The black background helps, but some of the overheads I have shot are in my grow boxes, with silver backgrounds and still get the moody effect. Some of it is how I shoot, and the other is some simple post-processing I use with iPhoto that came with my Apple computer.

For the two shots I posted on GDBs thread I used an old dimmable, 3-color channel @ViparSpectra 450w grow light for the overhead light and set it somewhere around 5% and 25% power. That is still bright enough to cause contrast in a normal to dimly lit room. I urge you to experiment.

I do it with that old light because it still works, makes the colors pop, and it is a spare after upgrading to my XS 1500s and the 1000. I set it up in my trim room. It's a very cheaply set up studio. I should post in my journal some time. What do you think would you like to see the set up? I'll shoot that later and post it here.

Remember:
Turning Down the Power of Your Overhead Grow Light
is the Most Important Thing You Can do to Get the Effect!

Most cannabis photos are overexposed and it shows in the trichomes. They are powerful little lighthouses that can make a bud pop. They help create the contrast by collecting the overhead light and distributing it around the cola. At some stages of bud development they help a bud glow. I think it's a cool effect.

Post Production

In Apple iPhoto
  1. Adjust shadows with a setting called Brightness to take down shadows and lower mid-tones while keeping highlights.
  2. Increase Contrast,
  3. Increase Black Point,
  4. Use micro-contrast adjustment Definition at about 35% (this helps increase definition in the veins of the leaves).
At this stage it takes some balancing with exposure to keep buds bright, but well defined, and shadows down. Just a bit of tweaking.

Next Steps.
  1. Adjust Curves setting with a normal "S" curve, bringing Black down further, and being careful not to blow out your Highlights,
  2. Adjust Sharpening:
    1. Intensity .85
    2. Edges: .80
    3. Falloff: .35.
  3. Apply Vignette setting and adjust to taste.
Those photos I put on GDB's thread were taken with my Nikon D810 full-frame camera, which means I was pretty serious about coming away with something.

The photo I entered in the PHOM contest was taken with my Nikon D90 with jpeg output settings applied in camera. It was shot under clip-on hog lights in my grow room, using the backdrop for shooting photos of my drying buds. They were just pretty buds getting ready for harvest.

I hope this helps.

Maybe I should do a screen capture video and show you how it is done some time?

Thank you for asking.

MGM

You are welcome.

The black background helps, but some of the overheads I have shot are in my grow boxes, with silver backgrounds and still get the moody effect. Some of it is how I shoot, and the other is some simple post-processing I use with iPhoto that came with my Apple computer.

For the two shots I posted on GDBs thread I used an old dimmable, 3-color channel @ViparSpectra 450w grow light for the overhead light and set it somewhere around 5% and 25% power. That is still bright enough to cause contrast in a normal to dimly lit room. I urge you to experiment.

I do it with that old light because it still works, makes the colors pop, and it is a spare after upgrading to my XS 1500s and the 1000. I set it up in my trim room. It's a very cheaply set up studio. I should post in my journal some time. What do you think would you like to see the set up? I'll shoot that later and post it here.

Remember:
Turning Down the Power of Your Overhead Grow Light
is the Most Important Thing You Can do to Get the Effect!

Most cannabis photos are overexposed and it shows in the trichomes. They are powerful little lighthouses that can make a bud pop. They help create the contrast by collecting the overhead light and distributing it around the cola. At some stages of bud development they help a bud glow. I think it's a cool effect.

Post Production

In Apple iPhoto
  1. Adjust shadows with a setting called Brightness to take down shadows and lower mid-tones while keeping highlights.
  2. Increase Contrast,
  3. Increase Black Point,
  4. Use micro-contrast adjustment Definition at about 35% (this helps increase definition in the veins of the leaves).
At this stage it takes some balancing with exposure to keep buds bright, but well defined, and shadows down. Just a bit of tweaking.

Next Steps.
  1. Adjust Curves setting with a normal "S" curve, bringing Black down further, and being careful not to blow out your Highlights,
  2. Adjust Sharpening:
    1. Intensity .85
    2. Edges: .80
    3. Falloff: .35.
  3. Apply Vignette setting and adjust to taste.
Those photos I put on GDB's thread were taken with my Nikon D810 full-frame camera, which means I was pretty serious about coming away with something.

The photo I entered in the PHOM contest was taken with my Nikon D90 with jpeg output settings applied in camera. It was shot under clip-on hog lights in my grow room, using the backdrop for shooting photos of my drying buds. They were just pretty buds getting ready for harvest.

I hope this helps.

Maybe I should do a screen capture video and show you how it is done some time?

Thank you for asking.

MGM
Please MGM, I'd love to see your studio set up. I know the D810 and it is indeed a serious camera. I shoot with an old D7100 which is pretty decent too. I have an off camera flash which I no longer remember how to use but it may come in handy.
I use Lightroom to process my RAW files. Under Sharpening, I get the following: amount, detail, radius, masking.
I'm trying to imagine the clip on hog lights.
If you wouldn't mind doing a screen capture video that would be awesome. It's a bit of a process. You have to upload to either Youtube or Vimeo in order to safely embed on this site. Don't worry if it becomes a schlepp.
Thanks very much for sharing your tips!

I am appealing for some help with the structure of this plant please. It spent it's first days in the big pot a little over watered and has failed to raise its fans.

What can I do now, to improve the structure to let in some light to those bottom branches. I will remove the first node branches, but the second node branches are staying because in my experience they produce some of the best buds on the plant.

Can I snip off some fans / blades / or something to open it up? What do you auto growers suggest please?

DSC_6754-Edit.jpg

looking at that photo, it seems dark, underexposed. I fiddled some more. I wonder if this is better? I raised the exposure and the shadows, and dropped the highlights to prevent the whites blowing out.
DSC_6767-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

@MicroGrowerMan This is my first homework assignment. What do you think? I hung a black cashmere skirt behind it and turned the @ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro down to 25 %. Top tip!

First off, I love the resourcefulness of using your sweater as the backdrop. Bravo!

Now look at all the positive reaction you've gotten. To me that's where it's at. Peer recognition.

As for me: Excellent first time out.

I can see that you are somebody who picks stuff up quickly and will build with more technique. For me, it may be experimenting with different backgrounds.

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

MGM

looking at that photo, it seems dark, underexposed. I fiddled some more. I wonder if this is better? I raised the exposure and the shadows, and dropped the highlights to prevent the whites blowing out.
DSC_6767-Edit-Edit-2.jpg
I'm laughing because look at what I wrote above "you are somebody who picks stuff up quickly and will build with more technique."

And there you go!

As long as you don't blow the whites out, you can fiddle with exposure and shadows until you get it just right. And that is what you are doing.

Just excellent. My first Creative Director used to tell me, "Just take that idea and run with it." Bingo.

MGM

I'm laughing because look at what I wrote above "you are somebody who picks stuff up quickly and will build with more technique."

And there you go!

As long as you don't blow the whites out, you can fiddle with exposure and shadows until you get it just right. And that is what you are doing.

Just excellent. My first Creative Director used to tell me, "Just take that idea and run with it." Bingo.

MGM
Thank you so much MGM! :circle-of-love:

Greetings,

I am moving my Chocodope auto and Blueberry auto plants to my new journal and I'd love it if you'd join me!

Back
Top Bottom