Asesino's Mystery Girl and Clones ScrOG - Coco Coir

Looking real good!
Congrats on the light upgrade. Curious to see the results.
I'm using the 48's, 2 and 3 side by side. I like them so far, actually impressed with results.

Wow! Asesino your ladies are looking great! Your new light seems to be right on the money. Can't wait to see how much more they stretch and how much you are going to defoliate this time.

Asesino's Nirvana Mystery Trio ScroG - Coco Coir

Day 17 Flower - Sad news today. Two of the 3 plants ended up being male and the big one and second biggest one turned out to be the culprits. I had found a few single white hairs on the biggest one but thats all. I would assume this is kind of like when a female gets one or two seeds that sprout in the flower but thats it. Sometimes plants get large calyxes at the bottom of the node that kind of look male but end up sprouting hairs. This was not the case. Instead they started to detach and hang down. There were also some clusters forming. All of this makes sense as it was growing like crazy which males tend to do. The reason males grow taller is so these pollen sacks can droop down and release their pollen on the shorter females. Fun fact of the day.

IMG_134341.JPG

The good news is that I was starting to think that the 6 clones were going to be a lot to try and fit in my tent for next grow. The clones are getting larger and bushier. I moved the two earliest Ayahuasca Purple clones into the flower tent. One of them I expect to do pretty good and the other will be just ok. I think these were cut at the same time and one is half the size of the other. They both are very healthy though so we will see. The fun part is now I can see how two different clones will grow and produce. I did elevate the smaller one so it was at the net let the other two. There first day of flower is today!

IMG_133743.JPG

The smallest of the 3 freebies was for sure female though and I still expect it to do well. It is still a big plant. I moved it to the front and retrained it a bit. It was really nice being able to lift my net up and down to make this part far safer. I only bent one branch. This girl has 40 branches that extend above the net at least 6" or taller. Any little limbs that didn't or were just too flimsy got culled. I did a heavy defoliation on day 15. I had read some theories on this and basically if you are going to defoliate you should do it between day 14 and day 18. I wanted to test the waters and really see how this girl reacts to a heavy trim.

IMG_133341.JPG

This whole thing solved a lot of my upcoming problems. I now have exactly what I want in both my veg and flower tent and I know its all female. The freebies were a crapshoot and even though I thought they were female, it was really just for fun. I have so many feminized seeds now that this won't be an issue again. I was able to adjust all my equipment back to normal in my flower tent because the height was no longer and problem. The lights will be at the same height again giving more even distribution to the whole tent. I will also be able to train my Ayahuasca's into the net and the last males gave me pretty decent practice. The veg tent is getting great light to each of the 4 clones and I did some training and defoliating today. The Chemdawg is going a little crazy so I did some supercropping. It will bounce back fast. The clones keep loving when I pull another plant out because they are getting more and more light. I saw a ton of fresh green today on all of them. I did clone the Chemdawg again but I think this will be all she wrote for the other 3 strains. I might try and keep this Chemdawg strain around for a few grows though, it's really good.

IMG_134041.JPG

Was your freebies sent as feminised buddy?

Nope! It was a promotion and I figured most are probably male so to get one female out of the three is a plus. I've got 7 left from that promo. Luckily it only cost me about two weeks in time as well. I guess at some point in late veg I misjudged these thinking they were all female but because my veg tent was full it didn't end up being that big of an error because I was able to move a couple into the flower tent.

Hey Asesino thanks for the help with pics. Got my plants figured out jus had a nitrogen deficiency started nutes late. But since I started they perked right up. I started a journal but still in the boring part only 13 days since they popped but since I helped with posting pics I have been able to start the journal again thanks. Sorry for the males. I started with three regular Thunderpaw seeds and m hoping to get at least one female out the bunch. They are all different was a strain a friend made by jack smack a critical kush made with f1 phenos. So my fingers crossed but great u were able to sub in guaranteed females. After I get threw my first grow m gonna try a perpetual like you. Keep up the great work. Loved ur first grow but must say this one has been getting better with the growth quick subbs!! Just great b following along since m doing coco under led like u!!

Hey Asesino thanks for the help with pics. Got my plants figured out jus had a nitrogen deficiency started nutes late. But since I started they perked right up. I started a journal but still in the boring part only 13 days since they popped but since I helped with posting pics I have been able to start the journal again thanks. Sorry for the males. I started with three regular Thunderpaw seeds and m hoping to get at least one female out the bunch. They are all different was a strain a friend made by jack smack a critical kush made with f1 phenos. So my fingers crossed but great u were able to sub in guaranteed females. After I get threw my first grow m gonna try a perpetual like you. Keep up the great work. Loved ur first grow but must say this one has been getting better with the growth quick subbs!! Just great b following along since m doing coco under led like u!!

Always appreciate the kind words pino! I'll have to check it out! I'm sure you'll see a few other coco growers head your way to watch as well. I'll send you a message on how to put it in your signature! Got to make it easy for everyone to find if you want them to follow along. Looking forward to seeing what you can do. I'll try to help where and when I can!

All the help u gave so far has been great. And yea it was getting kinda lonely n my journal but even if it was for my own record I was gonna see it to the end!! But hey thanks again for the company it always helps, and hey maybe someday I can pay it forward!!

Sent from my 5054N using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Damn Asesino, males suck! It's alright though everything happens for a reason. I see it hasn't slowed you down a bit!

Keep up the great work!

Yes I like your positive attitude. Between pests/genetics/environment anything can go wrong. These were freebies so what could I expect right? Everything from here on out will be clones or feminized seeds so shouldn't have this happen too often again. Either way this started out as just for fun and then got more serious when I realized I could make an entire grow out of it. The nice part about a 10 week cycle in my flower tent is that you never lose too much time. If I just had the one tent that would have been having to do veg and 2 weeks of flower all over again instead of just losing the 2 weeks.

Having backups is a good plan. It's only a problem when everything works out. :laughtwo: Nice rebound!

I was lucky that I started toying around with cloning and freebies and all that. It led to this point now and I got a lot of practice in on training and watering/feeding in coco. Way more confident now with my net and how the plants react to that. I was lucky to have backups this time that were ready. I should always have something in veg that I can throw into flower if I need to. I plan on keeping at least the Chemdawg around for a bit. Wish I could keep one of the Ayahuasca as well but just not enough space in the long run. So many good choices and I've got to try new ones!

Hi, I'm a first time grower and I'm having some problems with my 2 bloody skunk autos. My setup is coco with 125W CFL lamp approx 2.5 inches above, using coco a&b nutes as well as rhizotonic and cannazyme.

I'm having a variety of problems (pics below) including yellowing and crispyness on certain leaves, weird curling of leaves , drooping and clawing as well as white patches on leaves that look like salt? Or maybe I'm just a first time grower being paranoid, but things don't look right to me.

I've also explained the problem in detail here First grow - Not sure what's wrong.

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions guys, thanks :)

IMG_20170301_191719.jpg

IMG_20170301_191634.jpg

IMG_20170301_191614.jpg

Hi, I'm a first time grower and I'm having some problems with my 2 bloody skunk autos. My setup is coco with 125W CFL lamp approx 2.5 inches above, using coco a&b nutes as well as rhizotonic and cannazyme.

I'm having a variety of problems (pics below) including yellowing and crispyness on certain leaves, weird curling of leaves , drooping and clawing as well as white patches on leaves that look like salt? Or maybe I'm just a first time grower being paranoid, but things don't look right to me.

I just went though your thread there and I'd say your temps are a little low. If they are low 70s with the lights on then lights off is probably at least a little colder. They will seem to slow down if the temps get too low.

I've never had this issue before but I think it looks like something called powdery mildew.

I know you are a new grower and it's hard to know what is truth and what is people just guessing. You do have a few things I think I could clear up. Most coco growers I know will start giving nutes as early as 5 days after sprouting and feed and water every day. I do as well but super low PPM (100-150) to start. Ok barely giving them a shot glass of water at this point. Then I continue to slowly build to around 500 PPM as the plant gets stronger, about two weeks. If you see burn at any stage you just half the PPMs and the nice part of growing with coco is you should see results quick!

The flimsiness is due to lack of light so the plant stretched and can't support itself. I've never used CFLs but they need to be really absurdly close. I think like 1-2" is right.

Do not foliar feed your girls this early, in fact if you are new don't do it at all. Just get a grow under your belt by watering and feeding. That is causing the salt on the leaves but I do think you have mildew and mold as well. This was likely caused by leaving water on the leaves. You unfortunately likely caused two separate problems by doing that, nute burn and mold. The roots won't grow well either because the plant is getting fed through leaves instead of roots. This is why your plants froze and aren't really growing.

Most new growers try to do too much on their first grow and get discouraged. It's tough to just water and feed but these things do not need much. You learn so much on your first grow, don't over complicate it. Do some low stress training and you'll be happy and excited to try some more complicated things on your second grow.

Also I'd recommend mixing in perlite with your coco to help with root growth. Start in a really small pot and let the roots get to the bottom and then transplant to 3 gallon (or so) pots. Roots are searching for water for the first couple weeks. If they don't have to search for it then it becomes stagnant and you want the roots to grow to get better sized plants. I like the coco to be damp to dry at most in the first two weeks. You can overwater the first two weeks but after that it's fairly hard. Maybe next time as it is too late to remix the coco for this grow now but get some coarse perlite in there and roots can grow a little faster and stronger.

I hope I am wrong as I hear powdery mildew is really hard to combat. If you think it is I'd almost suggest starting over if you have that ability. If it is mold, it tends to come back many times throughout the grow unless treated diligently for a while. It can also get all over your tent and stick around for future grows. Plus a lot of stress early on is likely stunting growth as well. Hopefully my guess is wrong.

Asesino, thanks for taking the time to read through my thread and for the detailed response dude. Really appreciate it.

With regards to the temps, the initial values in my thread were slightly off, right now with lights on I'm at around 75-76 and with lights off it's around 69. I've also corrected the issue with light and I now have them at around 2". I also have a fan blowing towards the plants pretty much 24/7 - think this might be causing some problems?

The flimsiness has also improved on the smaller plant but I must say her stem is not as strong as the other plant.

With regards to PPM, I'll certainly pay more attention to this - I don't actually have a pen to check PPM at the moment, I wanted to do a budget grow and I guess I compromised on things I really shouldn't have. I have been giving them 1/4 strength in nutes the last few days and making sure I get proper runoff - I think I was a little scared of overwatering up until a few days ago and didn't have enough runoff to flush extra nutes for the first 2 weeks or so of my grow which I guess caused the nute burn...

I hear you with regards to foliar feeding, I'll make sure to avoid that. I'm not sure about mold to be honest, what from the pictures made you suspect that?

I did suspect mildew before and I actually read that a mix of milk and water sprayed onto the leaves helps that issue, and I did this for a few days (right after lights off), but I guess this may have created some of the other problems you've described. I am having doubts about the possibility of mildew now though because the buildup really does feel like salt and if you look at my thread in some pics you can see similar buildup around the pot as well. It's easy to clean away with my hands and the patches don't seem to grow as far as I can tell. I'm just not sure if the salt buildup is something that can damage the plant or affect harvest at the end...

With regards to LST, are you suggesting I start doing that now with both these plants? I topped the larger plant yesterday and the smaller one appears to be self topping, and I am certainly keen on trying LST but I'm not sure the smaller plant is strong enough to handle it.

I'll definitely mix with perlite next time around. In terms of stunted growth, you're right, it does feel like they're growing at a slower rate but they're definitely still growing.

If you go back to my thread, I've posted some new pictures just now. I've heard some people pulling off leaves and I'm just wondering whether I should pull out some of the lower leaves which are really crispy and yellowish, or whether you think they might make a comeback, and just in general any further precautions you think I might need to take for recovery as I don't want to give up on these girls :)

Thanks again for the detailed response and suggestions! :thumb:

Asesino strikes again!! Always here to help. U are a great commodity to the community. Thanks for being so helpful. U helped me a lot and when I get more advanced I will pay it forward.

Sent from my 5054N using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Asesino, thanks for taking the time to read through my thread and for the detailed response dude. Really appreciate it.

With regards to the temps, the initial values in my thread were slightly off, right now with lights on I'm at around 75-76 and with lights off it's around 69. I've also corrected the issue with light and I now have them at around 2". I also have a fan blowing towards the plants pretty much 24/7 - think this might be causing some problems?

The flimsiness has also improved on the smaller plant but I must say her stem is not as strong as the other plant.

With regards to PPM, I'll certainly pay more attention to this - I don't actually have a pen to check PPM at the moment, I wanted to do a budget grow and I guess I compromised on things I really shouldn't have. I have been giving them 1/4 strength in nutes the last few days and making sure I get proper runoff - I think I was a little scared of overwatering up until a few days ago and didn't have enough runoff to flush extra nutes for the first 2 weeks or so of my grow which I guess caused the nute burn...

I hear you with regards to foliar feeding, I'll make sure to avoid that. I'm not sure about mold to be honest, what from the pictures made you suspect that?

I did suspect mildew before and I actually read that a mix of milk and water sprayed onto the leaves helps that issue, and I did this for a few days (right after lights off), but I guess this may have created some of the other problems you've described. I am having doubts about the possibility of mildew now though because the buildup really does feel like salt and if you look at my thread in some pics you can see similar buildup around the pot as well. It's easy to clean away with my hands and the patches don't seem to grow as far as I can tell. I'm just not sure if the salt buildup is something that can damage the plant or affect harvest at the end...

With regards to LST, are you suggesting I start doing that now with both these plants? I topped the larger plant yesterday and the smaller one appears to be self topping, and I am certainly keen on trying LST but I'm not sure the smaller plant is strong enough to handle it.

I'll definitely mix with perlite next time around. In terms of stunted growth, you're right, it does feel like they're growing at a slower rate but they're definitely still growing.

If you go back to my thread, I've posted some new pictures just now. I've heard some people pulling off leaves and I'm just wondering whether I should pull out some of the lower leaves which are really crispy and yellowish, or whether you think they might make a comeback, and just in general any further precautions you think I might need to take for recovery as I don't want to give up on these girls :)

Thanks again for the detailed response and suggestions! :thumb:

Those temps are more where you want them for sure. I think ideally you would like them even a few degrees warmer but thats really not bad at all. If you read the beginning of my second journal or first one you can see I didn't need to grow affordably and purchased equipment that was good quality but a good value, just not budget style. I think with better equipment you get less problems (obviously) so I haven't had a lot of these kinds of problems but I'll feed you as much knowledge as I know.

A PH meter is a must, you can get by without a PPM meter but if you grow in coco you really should have one too. You can get cheap ones that work just fine and are accurate. I don't always get exactly where I want with my PPMs each night but I know if I was over one night I just cut the next night down to make up for it. It really is more about reading your plants and determining what they need which is generally why you don't see me put down detailed notes about what I exactly feed them because it changes a bit.

I'm not 100% sure if it is mildew or not. Judging by the first pictures and it getting worse though I thought it might until you said you put milk on them and posted the new pictures today. I'm hoping for your sake it was just foliar feeding or the milk which caused the white stuff on the leaves and it all disappears now. If you carefully wipe it off and it doesn't come back, and you aren't foliar feeding anymore than that might have been the main issue. Worth testing before you make any quick decisions about scrapping the whole thing. Also keep in mind that your plant has slowed down so what normally would be week 3 for you is really like being stuck in week 2. Don't overfeed or overwater until the plant starts to grow normally again. Just because its day 20 (or wherever you are at) doesn't mean your plant is really at day 20 in health if you know what I mean? Especially if you had any sort of issues.

If the plant was getting everything it needs from the leaves then you likely have underdeveloped root growth. I highly recommend cutting your nutes down to maybe an 1/8th of what the bottle says and to not have any runoff for a few days. Remember the roots will grow towards the water so if there is always water around they won't really grow too much. You really want established roots before you start feeding them with runoff everyday. Even then you only want 10-15% runoff. Your plant is stuck in week 2 mode which is still early and I think you are trying to feed and water them like they are at week 3 :). Let them catch back up and be patient but I'd let things dry out just a few days until they get perky and then you can start drain to waste feeding them.

Seedlings especially do not need much. They have most of what they need for the first two weeks in terms of nutrients but I give them tiny doses to get them used to it daily. Also with these small stems I'd just have air blowing around the tent but not directly on them. Kind of like the way plants barely move in a calm breeze outside. Too much air can be damaging especially early on. Low settings on fans or just air circulating around them work really well at this stage.

You shouldn't be topping or doing anything that would cause stress until you get this first problem solved. All of that stress training should be done when the plants are healthy. If you aren't 100% if you should be doing it then ask first! Its hard to fix one problem when you have numerous other things going on. As I said before slow down a little and take a deep breath. Growing is so exciting. I remember in my first grow going down every day, 5 or 6 times, and touching and poking and getting excited. You can kill your plants with too much love and by doing too much. Topping and training will cause the plant to slow down even more so I'd really suggest now that you did that just backing off a ton. You won't see much happen for a few days. Never do these kinds of things when the plant isn't 100% healthy, just like it's not a good idea to flip to flower if the plant isn't 100% healthy either.

You shouldn't be LSTing now no, your plants look too weak. Let them grow and see what happens for a period of time. In my opinion just don't do anything but feed and water them for next week and see what happens. You might be surprised at the result. It goes with my motto for my current grow, "Less is more".

Those first leaves that just have the single tips are not going to make a comeback but I wouldn't take them off yet either until the plants get back to full speed. They may look ugly but they aren't hurting anything. The weird twisting and curling can happen in young plants, it's also nothing to worry about too much. If they were clawed up or down then I'd be concerned. Clones really can get weird sometimes until the roots are well established.

I also don't see much nute burn on todays pics on the one you topped, it is clearly doing better than "Jo". Adversity can be a good thing early on though, I've seen runts gets huge later in life. I honestly think all of these issues you saw is from foliar feeding too early. I think you will see some good things happen in the next few days. Don't feel afraid to ask as many questions as you want. I remember being in my first grow, it was hard to find good answers or who to believe. When I look at peoples journals and I see the plants they have, if I want to have results like them I just copied them for the most part. It's worked out great so far as I have taken little bits of things I like from everyone. Growing can be done all sorts of ways, there is no right way, so you have to find what works best for you. It's hard to deny the kind of evidence that pictures provide :)

Also I can come off sometimes as blunt so I hope the tone of this doesn't sound like I think you are stupid or haven't done your research. I am a business guy and am usually just straight to the point. If people ask me for help I want nothing more than to see them succeed and learn. I take a special interest in those that seek help and don't just sit in the shadows and watch their grows crumble.

Those temps are more where you want them for sure. I think ideally you would like them even a few degrees warmer but thats really not bad at all. If you read the beginning of my second journal or first one you can see I didn't need to grow affordably and purchased equipment that was good quality but a good value, just not budget style. I think with better equipment you get less problems (obviously) so I haven't had a lot of these kinds of problems but I'll feed you as much knowledge as I know.

A PH meter is a must, you can get by without a PPM meter but if you grow in coco you really should have one too. You can get cheap ones that work just fine and are accurate. I don't always get exactly where I want with my PPMs each night but I know if I was over one night I just cut the next night down to make up for it. It really is more about reading your plants and determining what they need which is generally why you don't see me put down detailed notes about what I exactly feed them because it changes a bit.

I'm not 100% sure if it is mildew or not. Judging by the first pictures and it getting worse though I thought it might until you said you put milk on them and posted the new pictures today. I'm hoping for your sake it was just foliar feeding or the milk which caused the white stuff on the leaves and it all disappears now. If you carefully wipe it off and it doesn't come back, and you aren't foliar feeding anymore than that might have been the main issue. Worth testing before you make any quick decisions about scrapping the whole thing. Also keep in mind that your plant has slowed down so what normally would be week 3 for you is really like being stuck in week 2. Don't overfeed or overwater until the plant starts to grow normally again. Just because its day 20 (or wherever you are at) doesn't mean your plant is really at day 20 in health if you know what I mean? Especially if you had any sort of issues.

If the plant was getting everything it needs from the leaves then you likely have underdeveloped root growth. I highly recommend cutting your nutes down to maybe an 1/8th of the what the bottle says and to not have any runoff for a few days. Remember the roots will grow towards the water so if there is always water around they won't really grow too much. You really want established roots before you start feeding them with runoff everyday. Even then you only want 10-15% runoff. Your plant is stuck in week 2 mode which is still early and I think you are trying to feed and water them like they are at week 3 :). Let them catch back up and be patient but I'd let things dry out just a few days until they get perky and then you can start drain to waste feeding them.

Seedlings especially do not need much. They have most of what they need for the first two weeks in terms of nutrients but I give them tiny doses to get them used to it daily. Also with these small stems I'd just have air blowing around the tent but not directly on them. Kind of like the way plants barely move in a calm breeze outside. Too much air can be damaging especially early on. Low settings on fans or just air circulating around them work really well at this stage.

You shouldn't be topping or doing anything that would cause stress until you get this first problem solved. All of that stress training should be done when the plants are healthy. If you aren't 100% if you should be doing it then ask first! Its hard to fix one problem when you have numerous other things going on. As I said before slow down a little and take a deep breath. Growing is so exciting. I remember in my first grow going down every day, 5 or 6 times, and touching and poking and getting excited. You can kill your plants with too much love and by doing too much. Topping and training will cause the plant to slow down even more so I'd really suggest now that you did that just backing off a ton. You won't see much happen for a few days. Never do these kinds of things when the plant isn't 100% healthy, just like it's not a good idea to flip to flower if the plant isn't 100% healthy either.

You shouldn't be LSTing now no, your plants look too weak. Let them grow and see what happens for a period of time. In my opinion just don't do anything but feed and water them for next week and see what happens. You might be surprised at the result. It goes with my motto for my current grow, "Less is more".

Those first leaves that just have the single tips are not going to make a comeback but I wouldn't take them off yet either until the plants get back to full speed. They may look ugly but they aren't hurting anything. The weird twisting and curling can happen in young plants, it's also nothing to worry about too much. If they were clawed up or down then I'd be concerned. Clones really can get weird sometimes until the roots are well established.

I also don't see much nute burn on todays pics on the one you topped, it is clearly doing better than "Jo". Adversity can be a good thing early on though, I've seen runts gets huge later in life. I honestly think all of these issues you saw is from foliar feeding too early. I think you will see some good things happen in the next few days. Don't feel afraid to ask as many questions as you want. I remember being in my first grow, it was hard to find good answers or who to believe. When I look at peoples journals and I see the plants they have, if I want to have results like them I just copied them for the most part. It's worked out great so far as I have taken little bits of things I like from everyone. Growing can be done all sorts of ways, there is no right way, so you have to find what works best for you. It's hard to deny the kind of evidence that pictures provide :)

Asesino, again first of all thanks so much for taking the time to go through what I posted and give a detailed answer. I can't thank you enough. I definitely need to take a deep breath and relax because I am way too excited and at the same time probably way too worried that somethings going to go wrong :)

To get back to your post, I actually had a ph meter from day one and have been using it to make sure I feed them with pH ~5.6-6.0, which is a decent range from what I've read so far. I have not however been monitoring EC or PPM, but I've order a meter for that now so I should have that tomorrow.

To be honest your last post made me think again about the possibility of mildew. The whiteness is still there, but overall it's really not that bad in comparison to most powdery mildew infected plants I've seen around here and apart from a few lower leaves nothing seems to be affected too badly and it doesn't really seem to be "spreading", so that gives me some doubt. Then again I did wipe it off a few times and it has come back every time, but when I wipe it off and have a look at what comes off it really does look and feel like salt which again has me doubting its mildew.

On the other hand, I'm probably doing my jumping to conclusions way too excited first time grower thing again but, I've heard that spraying leaves, after lights go off, with a mixture of a teaspoon of baking soda and water helps stop mildew because of its basic nature. Do you think I should try this tonight when lights go off to be sure its not mildew? The milk thing apparently wouldn't have worked because it needed to be unpasteurized milk which I wasn't able to get at that time... Or should I leave them alone for now?

In terms of the watering and feeding schedule I do have to say I was giving them relatively little water until I recently was told that coco needs to be watered every day and watered generously (I was giving them ~300-400ml each every 2 days for the first 2 weeks or so). The last few days I've been giving them about twice that every day. Do you suggest finding middle ground or should I stick with what I've been doing now?

I've lowered the fan and changed the angle so that it's not directly blowing onto them now. With the possibility of there being mildew, would you recommend keeping the fan or off at night?

I'll give them some time before thinking of LST and won't top the other one, it seems to be self topping anyway which is pretty cool! Also thanks for the clarification on the twisting and curling, I thought that was a little odd and even that was getting me worried haha.

Sorry if it seems like I'm going over the same things or whatever but I just want to clarify to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks once again for all the help and hopefully I'll come back with good news soon!

Asesino, again first of all thanks so much for taking the time to go through what I posted and give a detailed answer. I can't thank you enough. I definitely need to take a deep breath and relax because I am way too excited and at the same time probably way too worried that somethings going to go wrong :)

To get back to your post, I actually had a ph meter from day one and have been using it to make sure I feed them with pH ~5.6-6.0, which is a decent range from what I've read so far. I have not however been monitoring EC or PPM, but I've order a meter for that now so I should have that tomorrow.

To be honest your last post made me think again about the possibility of mildew. The whiteness is still there, but overall it's really not that bad in comparison to most powdery mildew infected plants I've seen around here and apart from a few lower leaves nothing seems to be affected too badly and it doesn't really seem to be "spreading", so that gives me some doubt. Then again I did wipe it off a few times and it has come back every time, but when I wipe it off and have a look at what comes off it really does look and feel like salt which again has me doubting its mildew.

On the other hand, I'm probably doing my jumping to conclusions way too excited first time grower thing again but, I've heard that spraying leaves, after lights go off, with a mixture of a teaspoon of baking soda and water helps stop mildew because of its basic nature. Do you think I should try this tonight when lights go off to be sure its not mildew? The milk thing apparently wouldn't have worked because it needed to be unpasteurized milk which I wasn't able to get at that time... Or should I leave them alone for now?

In terms of the watering and feeding schedule I do have to say I was giving them relatively little water until I recently was told that coco needs to be watered every day and watered generously (I was giving them ~300-400ml each every 2 days for the first 2 weeks or so). The last few days I've been giving them about twice that every day. Do you suggest finding middle ground or should I stick with what I've been doing now?

I've lowered the fan and changed the angle so that it's not directly blowing onto them now. With the possibility of there being mildew, would you recommend keeping the fan or off at night?

I'll give them some time before thinking of LST and won't top the other one, it seems to be self topping anyway which is pretty cool! Also thanks for the clarification on the twisting and curling, I thought that was a little odd and even that was getting me worried haha.

Sorry if it seems like I'm going over the same things or whatever but I just want to clarify to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks once again for all the help and hopefully I'll come back with good news soon!

We need to see what happens so don't do anything to them. If the whiteness increases you can probably guess its mold. Here is the thing with salt. The plants should be throwing salt out their roots after they absorb it and don't need it. Salt really wouldn't be coming from the leaves. If you have wiped it off and not done any foliar feeding since, and it is coming back I will lean more back to thinking its powdery mildew again.

I would keep the fan on at night. Mold and mildew thrives in damp, moist areas and no air circulation encourages that. If you had been turning your fan off before at night that probably was when this started, if it actually is mildew.

I applaud that you are at least asking before trying, that already shows improvement! Don't wipe them off or do anything. If tomorrow the picture you have shows worsening then I would definitely recommend the baking soda thing. I haven't used it or had this problem but I remember coming across that at one point as a solution. I am not sure the ratios you use but I'm sure you can find them on here somewhere.

We need to see what happens so don't do anything to them. If the whiteness increases you can probably guess its mold. Here is the thing with salt. The plants should be throwing salt out their roots after they absorb it and don't need it. Salt really wouldn't be coming from the leaves. If you have wiped it off and not done any foliar feeding since, and it is coming back I will lean more back to thinking its powdery mildew again.

I would keep the fan on at night. Mold and mildew thrives in damp, moist areas and no air circulation encourages that. If you had been turning your fan off before at night that probably was when this started, if it actually is mildew.

I applaud that you are at least asking before trying, that already shows improvement! Don't wipe them off or do anything. If tomorrow the picture you have shows worsening then I would definitely recommend the baking soda thing. I haven't used it or had this problem but I remember coming across that at one point as a solution. I am not sure the ratios you use but I'm sure you can find them on here somewhere.

Great, in that case I'll leave the fan on and leave things the way they are, and I'll let you know how they are tomorrow. I will just have to learn to be more patient with this stuff haha, again thank you without all this feedback I would probably have gone and made things worse :)

Back
Top Bottom