Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

i class the start of week 1 when i can see clusters that are at around 5-10mm.

iv used it just in week 5 once, but now iv seen a mega difference from gradually building it up from week 4 to week 6.

ive got a schedule if you would like it?

Yeah I'll definitely take a look mate thanks . I'm trying different things and working out what yields the best results as I have a number of extra plants I can afford to take a chance on so I'd like to see how everyone else uses their boosters and feeds and try some out.

i would try make a frame for the shelter buddy, i feel if your going to use canes in a grow then put them in early on and leave them.

i would say pushing them in and out continues would snap roots and cause harm.

The plants are prepared for some damage from natural calamities. In the wild, something is always chomping on it somewhere. You won't hurt her if you are Gentle.

I have some plants a couple weeks to harvest. What would be the effect on my plants if I were to cut off the side branches lowest to the ground? I want to do this to get something to smoke. Bud is pretty much good enough to quick dry and vape. Cloudy trichs.

Thanks.

Nothing apart from the plant would then use the energy it was using on those lower branches higher up the plant. Clipping bottom branches to promote more growth higher up the plants is quite common practice. Better to have that energy higher up the plant than wasted on suckers lower down which don't yield much anyway

420-magazine-mobile1476620760.jpg
Garden update:
Noticed what looks like leaf claw and yellow spotting from N over dose what do you guys think?
Almost one month into flower week 4 is just around the corner.
Growth has seemed a bit slow probably because of root pruning
420-magazine-mobile18272635.jpg

The plant I topped is beginning to out grow the other 3 and pistils are beginning to stretch out and test their environment...kinda wish I topped them all.

I have some leaf claw but it's not from over dosing on N it was actually my oscillating fan that caused it. I had no idea a fan could cause claw like that but it did. Whenever I see clawing now I check my fan first and nutrients second.

I have some leaf claw but it's not from over dosing on N it was actually my oscillating fan that caused it. I had no idea a fan could cause claw like that but it did. Whenever I see clawing now I check my fan first and nutrients second.

It's funny that you say that because just out of frame is a fan blowing on the plant that has the worst leaf claw.
I would've never thought about that I'll move the fan and see what happens with the clawing

Another quick question for everyone, do you think using bamboo canes in our plants pots can do any real damage to the plants? I have to push bamboo canes down the side of my plants pots to put my rain shelter up when it pours down and although it's not that often I do worry those canes could damage roots and the plant in turn? I know many growers use canes in pots for a number of reasons but do they hurt our plants by damaging roots?

thin canes are fine - if your root mass is healthy you shouldn't worry you will cause too much damage. If you are growing indoors be sure to disinfect them before use as they are great hiding placed for germs, spore, pests, eggs & other nasty stuff. Use alcohol, bleach of H2O2.

I have some plants a couple weeks to harvest. What would be the effect on my plants if I were to cut off the side branches lowest to the ground? I want to do this to get something to smoke. Bud is pretty much good enough to quick dry and vape. Cloudy trichs.

Thanks.

I avoid cutting branches/major pruning for plants beyond week 4 of flower. If you want to sample the lower buds, cut them off from the branch (not the branch off the plant) and you should be fine

U mean my plants that have the claw cud be from my oscillating fan?? What wud u suggest i use to help keep air flow up so that way mold is less likely to be an issue is y i run my fan plus to help cycle air obviously lol

U mean my plants that have the claw cud be from my oscillating fan?? What wud u suggest i use to help keep air flow up so that way mold is less likely to be an issue is y i run my fan plus to help cycle air obviously lol

I couldn't believe it when I found out either but yes. I'm not saying remove the fan, I'm not even saying I've got the right answer but it's a very real possibility and was definitely the case with me. The fan stopped oscillating and fried 3 branch shoots, burnt my fan leaves and clawed all my sugar leaves but only in the area the fan was left pointing. I thought I'd somehow nute burnt them without knowing but then another 420 member told me it could be the fan and he was spot on. The key is keeping the right distance from the plants with the fan and always have it oscillating. Leaves and branches should gently rustle but lightly, not like they're in a wind tunnel. I've had complete recovery in my plants new growth since I adjusted my fan.

thin canes are fine - if your root mass is healthy you shouldn't worry you will cause too much damage. If you are growing indoors be sure to disinfect them before use as they are great hiding placed for germs, spore, pests, eggs & other nasty stuff. Use alcohol, bleach of H2O2.

Yes the canes are thin and I only slide them down the side of the pot into very little root mass, I've also tried to build up my root balls by regular up potting. This is an outdoor grow so pests are unavoidable at times but I'm moving indoor next month and will be sure to disinfect every cane that comes in. I hear they're a thrips paradise lol

It's funny that you say that because just out of frame is a fan blowing on the plant that has the worst leaf claw.
I would've never thought about that I'll move the fan and see what happens with the clawing

Like I said mate, I was shocked myself but apparently the breeze from a fan is nothing like natural wind and if the fan is too powerful, too close and stops oscillating you will get varying damage. I turned my fan speed/power down, fixed the oscillating problem and put a greater distance between fan and plants and all is now great. I was on the verge of an emergency flush which would have stressed her out until one 420 member mentioned the fan thing, so glad he did now.

Like I said mate, I was shocked myself but apparently the breeze from a fan is nothing like natural wind and if the fan is too powerful, too close and stops oscillating you will get varying damage. I turned my fan speed/power down, fixed the oscillating problem and put a greater distance between fan and plants and all is now great. I was on the verge of an emergency flush which would have stressed her out until one 420 member mentioned the fan thing, so glad he did now.

Well if that is the case with my plants than bless your soul haha.
I usually do nitrogen feeds 3-4 weeks apart or really just when the plant shows that she needs it and my last n feed was probably about 2 ish weeks ago so I was extremely surprised to see clawing.
I'll slow fan speed and move the fan a greater distance above the plants and see how they do I'll be sure to keep you updated on it .

On a strain hunt. Something with good yields and dense buds!

id reccomend northern lights everytime! i love it for how forgivable it can be with you.

now if your talking big yields and dense buds this all depends on your lighting.

Would anyone reccomend I use neptunes harvest fish and seaweed fertilizer as a good source of phosphorus to fix my phosphorus deficiency? its npk is 2-3-1
420-magazine-mobile608297194.jpg
420-magazine-mobile681076750.jpg
I use Neptune fish and seaweed fertilizer it's 2-4-1... I found it good

Iti

I use Neptune fish and seaweed fertilizer it's 2-4-1... I found it good

Iti

When I added it to my ro water my ph went to 6.4 and I added slight terpinator also into the mix. And I fed and then fed plain ro water on top of that I added 6 drops of ph up but my ph did not go up not even a little.. why couldn't I adjust the ph? I fed at 6.4 but would have rather fed at 6.6-6.8 why couldn't I adjust my ph ? And if I also fed plain water at 6.8 on top of the nute water would the ph go up

420-magazine-mobile272477042.jpg
Garden update: day 102 flower day 37 week 5
Checked roots new ones are coming in expecting growth to pick up now.
Definitely established this plant has an abundance of N but I am not going to flush as I am deep into flower.
Going to feed this plant water for next week or so and see if symptoms better or worsen.
420-magazine-mobile1123849563.jpg

This gal is looking quite happy.
420-magazine-mobile220214030.jpg

Another happy lady.
420-magazine-mobile1818387593.jpg

Youngest of the 4 but certainly the happiest not a problem with this plant excited to see how she puts on weight

@growguru420:

Looks like calcium deficiency from the spotting on the edges of some of the leaves. This is probably caused by nute burn/ph imbalance (notice the tips of the leaves are burnt), so adding calcium will not help this. If you are growing in soil, just water with plain ph adjusted water making sure the ppm/ec/tds is not too high - if it is consider using RO water. If you are using a hydroponic substrate then you can flush as the stress of having deficiencies/ph imbalance will be greater than a flush. What size pots are they in?

Back
Top Bottom