Aurora Indica Feminized - LED - Soil - 4x4 - Grow I

A rule of thumb is to divide by 4, then maybe take a little off that figure to account for stems you will remove before jarring. I like to only weigh once they have been in jars for a few days, as the buds will rehydrate a bit and this will obviously give you a few more grams in weight.

Sounds like my guess is about right. Thanks for the information! Divide by 4 is the same as 25% and then take another 5% for stems and that is 20%, or 80% water weight lost! I'll use this as a guess just for tomorrow's report and do a real weigh after its jarred as a proper gauge.

I have been reading on bud washing after I seen it mentioned on this post. I plan on doing it also. They say an hour per plant is what to expect. Was that about right. Either way I'll be there with you in about 9 to 10 weeks. Congrats man.

Sent from my SM-G935V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'd say it took me 2 hours a plant. I also will go back over again and trim the sugar leaves off once it's drier and use that for edibles so I'm not done trimming yet! Still a lot of work to do but not so time sensitive as getting them hung to dry.

You have to do bud washing, no exceptions. It's a crazy thing to do and it makes you nervous the whole time. My friend said he will for sure be doing it with his first time after helping me with it. Mine was indoors and pretty clean the whole time and there was still a ton of junk that came off of it. This is a must do in my opinion. I will never not wash my bud.

My AIS lookin really good. I chopped one at 8 weeks 2 at 9 weeks and saving last 2 for ten week mark. Your plants look very similar to mine. I can say that Nirvana description of this strain is very accurate. This is some heavy stuff. Even cutting a little early at 8 weeks it is very potent!! And delicious sweet smoke! Can't wait to see your results!! I'll let you know my final weight when at that point to compare data. You did an amazing job with those 400s. Congrats on your success!!

Harvest

Overall I am so happy with how everything turned out. The first plant I started with was the scraggly one. I really had to do a lot of detailed trimming on this one because of the discoloration and it took by far the longest. I then trimmed two of the plants with a friend and then I stayed up pretty late finishing the other two. I basically trimmed anything that didn't have trichomes on it and I will do more trimming when dry. I am really looking forward to using the dried sugar leaf in edibles and into hard candy!

While it is drying in my tent I will do my reviews on equipment and my summary of what I will do differently next grow. I will likely plant those seeds tonight so look out for a new journal at some point. I will not be doing every other day updates for that one though. I don't need to document every other day because now I have experience and can always reference this one.

All of the numbers recorded are just after the plant was trimmed and then cut. I then bud washed them and hung them. Who knows what they will actually turn out from drying. I've heard 25% is what you will get in dry weight but I have a good chunk of stems on the big colas. As I told TheBlaze earlier I will hope for 20% due to the stems. Even if it's 15% I will meet my goal of 1.5 OZ a plant on average. My first goal before starting was 1 OZ a plant so I have to keep that in mind but I am pretty sure I can bank on 15% at the very bottom. :high-five:

Plant 1 (150g wet) - This plant probably had the toughest time. It was the biggest from the start and even though it was the tallest, it was my least yielding. I do think it will have a much different high than the others though, just a hunch. I forgot to weigh this one but I'm pretty sure 150g is a safe bet. It probably had the worst light and the worst air the whole time but I think a lot of this was due to genetics.
image17243.jpeg
image17242.jpeg
image17241.jpeg
image17240.jpeg

Plant 4 (253g wet) - The was the other plant that had basically the same light as the last one. I'm guessing whatever was wrong with the first one, or if it was genetics, costed me about 100g wet. I looked at the roots in Plant 1 and couldn't see anything. Anyways I do think the light was the difference between the yield of this one and the two in the back. I felt like this was the one that always dried out the 2nd fastest every time I watered so I figured I'd get a much better yield from it but I guess not!

image17239.jpeg
image17238.jpeg
image17237.jpeg
image17236.jpeg

Plant 2 (330g wet) - This one still could finish as the 2nd best plant in the end it was that close between this one and Plant 5. Both of these plants also got good wind. I think the lights were a little off center a bit towards the back. I can't wait to only just have 4 plants in the tent so I can get appropriate light to everything.

image17226.jpeg
image17225.jpeg
image17224.jpeg
image17223.jpeg

Plant 5 (333g wet) - Only 3 grams heavier than Plant #2. This was by far my best looking plant. The structure of my plants is something I now understand but this was the only one I was really happy with the structure of it. The others were all a little weak. Also vegging a little longer will help with that too.

image17230.jpeg
image17229.jpeg
image17228.jpeg
image17227.jpeg

Plant 3 (408g wet) - 3 if my favorite number so go figure it ended up being the best! Unfortunately I was unable to get a good picture of her after she was trimmed up. The screen was really holding this one up as it just folded once I started trimming it. This plant by far had the heaviest colas on it and the largest of them all is featured below. The light and air was ideal for this one.

image17235.jpeg
image17234.jpeg
image17233.jpeg
image17232.jpeg
image17231.jpeg

If my math is correct that is 1474g total just after trimmed and cut, but still with lots of stems. Either way the waiting game begins. My humidity is pretty stable at 53% in my tent. I have a fan blowing air around but not directly at the hanging bud. I haven't used the dehumidifier yet. I did flip all the buds on the racks over to prevent wet spots. So far I think everything is drying perfectly.

Congrats on the harvest! Beautiful looking colas and plants!

If my math is correct I think I might have guessed pretty close to how much you harvested... We will see once they dry. I can't wait!
:volcano-smiley:

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Awesome man. Some nice looking buds there brother. Looks like 280 - 300g. A great pull!

What a great grow and awesome journal. Enjoy your harvest. :thumb:

Thanks man! I should have a couple review updates and then a final weigh in and it's all over. What an adventure really! Glad so many like you followed along the way, it made things a lot of fun.

I just read through this grow Journal the last couple of days and I have to say, great Job man! I ordered Aurora Indica from Nirvana about a week ago and am going to start my grow in the next couple of months. I really can't wait and this has made me feel like I chose some great beans! Can't wait to see the final harvest pics and weight! Again awesome job bro.

Oh wow it has been an honor to follow your grow. Can't wait for the smoke report on all 5 plant. X) Off the top of your head what are a couple things you think you'd change for your next grow?

Things I think I would do differently on my next grow

4 plants per tent or add another light : I think the lights I had would have been much better with 4 plants instead of 5. I think I could have pulled the same yield from 4 as I am going to with 5 honestly. The air flow would have been better and could have made the plants stronger as well. I only had one fan for a while in the beginning and there was a couple plants that didn't get as good of air flow as I would have wanted.

Waiting longer to transplant : My plants didn't seem to really see any negative effects when I transplanted but the soil wasn't being held in very well and I could have waited a week or two longer. There were lots of opinions on when to transplant and I got worried about the plants being root bound. Turns out I wasn't even close.

Gnats : These suckers were just a pain and I hope they didn't effect things too much. I didn't have a huge problem with them and they never got out of control but I should have tried to take care of them early on so it was not a never ending battle. Luckily I got them just in time but they were so annoying. The moment you see any pests, research and squash them!

Don't listen to "plant flower times" : How long a plant will take to fully flower is a little bit like expiration dates on the food you buy at grocery stores. If they can make you think that something is finished than you have to buy more of it! 95% of the time that food is still good but we've been taught its bad and to throw it away forcing you to buy it more often. I work in grocery, I've watched these dates come in with shorter times on them yet it is magically the same product in the same packaging. 10 full weeks is a good gauge to bank on. If you've done training maybe even 11! Most seed companies will say 7-9 weeks. If you listen to that and chop down 2-3 weeks early every time your yields will be effected. I thought I would pull them down at 8-9 weeks and stopped giving them nutrients too early. Who knows what I could have gotten with a couple more feedings. Essentially I started flushing way too early because I just kept thinking they had to be close to done at 8-9 weeks.

Flush if you see a heavy deficiency in a plant :
I still think a good chunk of why my scraggly plant was so scraggly was because it had more of a sativa kick in it. It was taller, not as dense, leaves were thinner and it didn't seem to like being pushed around like the other ones. I did have the most yellow and spots on this one and even though it trimmed up nicely, I should have flushed it early on and let it get healthy. I think it would have helped a lot honestly. I didn't think of it until it was too late. I tried diagnosing it and adding different nutrients or cal-mag to help but nothing seemed correct it.

Try keeping the lights closer : I wanted to keep them higher to cover a little more area but I realized I probably didn't get the penetration I could have gotten. I was worried about light burn and I didn't want to test the plants by keeping the lights too close. I'm not sure they were ever closer than 24".

Structure of the plants : I probably topped too early. I will be cloning next grow so I will want to wait until 6-7 nodes and then chop down to the 3-4 and use that for clone. This will make the bottom of the plant much stronger as well. I really want to make the plants stand on their own without a net. You can do this by getting the structure right and even though mine worked, that net that I used for support was essential.

Run lights in vegetative stage 20 on and 4 off : My plants reacted very well to 24/7 light but a few hours of rest and maybe a little stretch wouldn't hurt. I was worried about vertical height and I shouldn't have been. I did everything I could to keep these short and I had a lot of room left. 4 hours of lights off is just a little stretch. It'll also allow me to run auto's in my (new) veg tent so win-win.

Summary : I feel like I did a good job being patient but I got anxious at times as it was new and so much fun! I'm such a science junky and I am looking forward to tinkering here and there for the next one. I will however have the peace of mind to veg longer or not be any sort of timeline at all. I have enough experience to know what to look for at certain stages and even though it's only one grow, I needed to see it instead of read it or see pictures. I am really confident that my next grow will be even more successful with some of these changes.

Drying Update

Plant 1 only had 2 branches that qualified to be hung up on the hangers, the rest was on the drying rack. The bud dries faster on the rack and my friend was getting married. I manicured that yesterday before the wedding and gave him some as a nice wedding gift. Also a lot of my college friends were together and these were the people that got me into smoking so it was fun to show it to them. It is dry but not cured and even without it being cured it was a great smoke. I will do a full smoke report in a few days but I got big compliments. From these guys it says a lot, my friends are terrible liars and have smoked forever and I could tell they genuinely loved it. They also knew it wasn't cured yet so they could see even more potential. Plant 1 was the one I didn't measure the "wet weight" but it ended up being 40 grams.

Plant 2 had a few more branches hanging on a hanger but still only one hanger and the rest of the rack. It was pretty much ready today and manicuring these things takes about 4 hours and these are the smallest plants! So 2 hours a piece to do an initial trim and then manicuring probably takes anywhere between 6-10 hours a plant. You have to allocate your time wisely and I won't have time tomorrow so I had to do it today. The bud was definitely denser than the 1st plant and I probably got the same amount of trim as the first one This plant was almost twice the size so though that's good news. The dry weight of this plant was 53g. 53(dry)/245(wet)=22%. If this follows suit I will be very happy.

The other 3 plants will need a couple more days to dry I think. Most of these plants are on hangers and not on the rack so they are taking a little longer. That is good news for me. I like the way I used both a net and hanging method combo. I have a jar for premium nugs and one for the regular nugs for each plant so I can manicure at different times. If I need to I can finish the stuff on the rack and just pull the stuff hanging when its ready.

Smoke update and equipment update coming in the next few days. I intend to have this journal wrapped up by the end of next weekend. New one starting here very shortly so be on the lookout. I already know I can do a way better journal. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom