I might try it :)

Amazing hey.

Maybe you can guide me a bit if I start playing around. I'll see though.

In the meanwhile I have my Parmesan plant which looks worse for wear and I don't know when to harvest. The trichomes could go longer I think, but the sugar leaves look like they are dying now. I need help deciding this one please!

Once again, I'm sorry to have missed most of your grow. It sounds like it was a good one considering your GJOTM nomination so I'm doubly sad to have missed it.

I don't think you should worry about the leaves. At this point in the plant's life, it's all about the bud (in my opinion).

Once again, I'm sorry to have missed most of your grow. It sounds like it was a good one considering your GJOTM nomination so I'm doubly sad to have missed it.

I don't think you should worry about the leaves. At this point in the plant's life, it's all about the bud (in my opinion).
Hi HG and thank you. I'm worried the bud is going to be damaged by this creeping leaf death. I am wondering if I have to harvest to save the flowers.

I might try it :)

Amazing hey.

Maybe you can guide me a bit if I start playing around. I'll see though.

In the meanwhile I have my Parmesan plant which looks worse for wear and I don't know when to harvest. The trichomes could go longer I think, but the sugar leaves look like they are dying now. I need help deciding this one please!

As posted in my journal:
I can't really tell.
The closest I've come to your situation is when I had the contaminated soil last winter. I harvested before the buds could be in danger.
It comes down to whether you feel you're in the harvest window, and how much benefit you think you'll get from letting them continue.
What does your gut tell you?

As posted in my journal:
I can't really tell.
The closest I've come to your situation is when I had the contaminated soil last winter. I harvested before the buds could be in danger.
It comes down to whether you feel you're in the harvest window, and how much benefit you think you'll get from letting them continue.
What does your gut tell you?
Thank you Mel. I think I'm going to harvest actually. I am fully in the window and I don't like that leaf death creep. I know I'll get high off it now so why risk going longer in this condition. Also, the fragrance has changed and it's not putting out strong scents anymore. I think it's time.

Parmesan done and dusted! Three hours of Ricky Gervais and two pairs of gloves later, I finally got to have some scissor hash and it's so nice and yummy. This was my biggest harvest from the tabletop so far, and the buds are nice and solid. I'm really pleased and want to thank @ViparSpectra for the most excellent and economical XS 1500 Pro.

Parmesan Rootopsy

These roots are more what I expected with the Gelato auto 1. There is a layer of what I consider to be water roots at the bottom, and the rest of the bag was full of feeder roots, right to the very top of the soil. These are the most developed root balls I have had with my tabletop grows.

Here is what the tabletop grow looks like now.

Nice run, congrats Carmen. SSgrower
Thank you SSg. These @ViparSpectra XS 1500 Pros have served me well and I look forward to learning them even better in this next grow. It is so convenient to be able to have two at different levels and intensities. I have the one at 11 inches from the flowers at 100 %, and the other at 11 inches from the seedlings at 25 %, going according to the book now! :)

Congrats on the take down. I also think she was ready when I saw her up close. Nice fat buds. Winning
There was a big change from when you saw the plant to the following day. I think I got there with the cutters just in time :high-five:

My auto's are under a KS2500 and they grow very well so, 2 1500 is plenty enough power. SS
I'm very impressed.

Hiya - cool harvest, great journal, fun times!

Roots - I’m sorry I’ve lost track of which was problem SWICK and which was all cool 🥲

But re: the roots - how would you define the zones I marked? Purple, - the red (right side and left) and below the green.

Just for fun!

IMG_6134.jpeg

Hiya - cool harvest, great journal, fun times!

Roots - I’m sorry ai’ve lost trackmof which was problem SWICK and which was all cool 🥲

But re: the roots - how would you define the zones I marked? Purple, below the red (right side and left) and below the green.

Just for fun!

IMG_6134.jpeg
Thank you Nick :) This harvest is a nice one. My challenge was to find space to dry all the bud. There are too many for me to hang in the closet. A nice problem to have. I have spread them out in box things to dry.

The zones: Below red is where the problem lies in my view. Green is where the "water roots" are matted, and that would have prevented the feeder roots in the soil from developing and also prevented them from getting water from underneath, in my opinion.

Everything above red was feeder roots. I dug in with my hands and broke up the root ball. It was solid feeder roots with that mat at the bottom. I think this root formation is consistent with the issues Gee and I experienced and then the change over to top watering.

What are your impressions as a fellow sub-irrigator?

Congratulations on harvesting your Parmesan Carmen! Seldom do I see such beautiful colors on buds! Well done!
Thank you so much Otter :) and thank you for being here for the grow!

What are your impressions as a fellow sub-irrigator?
That thems fighting talk to a guy never harvested (yet) a sub irrigated plant but I do “SI” a lot in seedling and veg. Oh and I have a SIP grow ai guess…
one. My challenge was to find space to dry all the bud
As you say - what my Dad calls a “High Quality Problem” 😂

My thoughts on the zones are really dependent on the history. Was this the one you changed to top watering? If not my comments are irrelevant.

That thems fighting talk to a guy never harvested (yet) a sub irrigated plant but I do “SI” a lot in seedling and veg. Oh and I have a SIP grow ai guess…

As you say - what my Dad calls a “High Quality Problem” 😂

My thoughts on the zones are really dependent on the history. Was this the one you changed to top watering? If not my comments are irrelevant.
I changed them both to top watering. They both went yellow and looked overwatered and underfed on the swick. Condition of both improved from top watering but neither fully recovered.

Purple Zone - no roots until top watering then some babies carried her through to harvest.

Red Zone - Looking again I think ai really mean all between Purple and Green Zones - bugger all at edges apart from a few from the Purple Zone above / rhe thick 3-4mm ones - hard as that sounds I suspect you got a big elevator style root bunch in the core of that which helped:

I’m thinking like this:

IMG_6136.jpeg

But - I keep thinking about this and allowing for you being in soil camera light and all the rest and fully expecting to be told I’m an idiot!

IMG_6137.jpeg

The top right yellow section had a problem. Not enough air. Too much liquid.

The big yellow circle are failed roots. Did they smell?

The yellow sections failed, they gave just basic support. You started top feeding and generated new root growth up top but below the brown roots were just life support. There s a barren zone where nothing happened too. There’s just drop down side roots plus my blue channel

Hey - I’m a newbie hack and you know this is all just my speculation - but those brown roots I know/you read from my recent SIP experiments are bad news.

I’m good at when SIPs go wrong recently! The one I saved was switched to top watering only - reckon her root ball will be very similar to this at harvest. Browned out bottom roots.

Dunno my 2c’s and love to hear tour thoughts! I’m a zero on the nute type stuff in your grow style but the root stuff had some recent experience. Maybe!

Purple Zone - no roots until top watering then some babies carried her through to harvest.

Red Zone - Looking again I think ai really mean all between Purple and Green Zones - bugger all at edges apart from a few from the Purple Zone above / rhe thick 3-4mm ones - hard as that sounds I suspect you got a big elevator style root bunch in the core of that which helped:

I’m thinking like this:

IMG_6136.jpeg

But - I keep thinking about this and allowing for you being in soil camera light and all the rest and fully expecting to be told I’m an idiot!

IMG_6137.jpeg

The top right yellow section had a problem. Not enough air. Too much liquid.

The big yellow circle are failed roots. Did they smell?
No, no smell and they were gripping the bag. I believe that is the mass of water roots formed on the swick and if I was feeding artificial nutes into the res that would be fine, but nothing was happening above that layer and the plant went hungry in its organic medium. So when I started top watering the feeder root system developed. Believe me it was dense throughout the pot. The water roots died back since they were no longer being fed by the swick. The tap and feeder roots took over I believe.
The yellow sections failed, they gave just basic support. You started top feeding and generated new root growth up top but below the brown roots were just life support. There s a barren zone where nothing happened too. There’s just drop down side roots plus my blue channel
I agree, except there was no barren zone. The feeder roots were thick and filled the bag completely.
Hey - I’m a newbie hack and you know this is all just my speculation - but those brown roots I know/you read from my recent SIP experiments are bad news.

I’m good at when SIPs go wrong recently! The one I saved was switched to top watering only - reckon her root ball will be very similar to this at harvest. Browned out bottom roots.

Dunno my 2c’s and love to hear tour thoughts! I’m a zero on the nute type stuff in your grow style but the root stuff had some recent experience. Maybe!
I still see the benefit to me of a swick in that it can give me a few days grace so that I can go away and leave the plants to water themselves. I might try one top watered - swick hybrid, and one regular grow when I run the @Canuk Seeds Northern Lights x Big Bud autos in a couple of months. I'm tempted.

And England have quite a match on their hands with Japan it appears. I can't see the match itself, but I am watching the score. How is it going? anyone watching?

Back
Top Bottom