Doesn't he do a top dress now and then?
Totally - no offence taken!

Mine might momentarily go south but I’m not feeling beholden to soil/organic so I’ll be switching to synths and top watering without hesitation!

(I just got a Top Gun/1980’s UK Band crossover in my head I can’t get rid of 😂 - basically Tom Cruise whipping out a big synthesiser in the cockpit of an F15 Tomcat 😆)

The people look like they’re having the most success all seem to occasionally top water. Makes sense to me - to get those to the edges roots up top in addition to the straight down hydro roots.
The problem was that calcium was not getting to the roots. Calcium is heavy and travels downwards through the soil and that requires top watering. That can't be achieved with sub-irrigation, although I supposed calcium can be administered via the res as Otter is doing. Isn't he also adding a lot of calcium to his organic soil in amendments? That takes superior knowledge, skill and practice. To me the best solution is to top water. The only reason to bottom water in my case, is to fill the res and go away for a few days.
Can't you extend the wicks? From the water right to like 3cm under the surface. This way it should wicks right up to the top layer of soil. Or is that whats already happening?
Top watering introduces oxygen to the soil as it percolates and I think this is valuable. I think it would work to have a wick to the surface of the pot. However, given that the calcium in the soil will percolate downwards I think combo watering might be a better solution.

I packed mine as layers with the volcano rocks and added a fk ton of dolomite lime too. The rocks I hope will get broken down by the myco slowly. Bat guano - I basically googled organic sources of calcium and ordered it all. because Gee and Keffka make such a compelling case for it being fuel. I was/am already a heavy user of acal-Mag in coco so knew it was important.

I see many growers "try" Butt-chugging" their grows but in coco, if you try bottom feeding in soil i'd think it wouldn't turn out well. I have experimented with different kinds of cal/mag supplements, my latest is Rooted Leaf Cal/mag Fuel by Agritech w/ Canna Coco parts 1-2 which are pre-loaded with cal'mag in it 2 bottles. Interesting study, I enjoy science. Cheers SSgrower

Parmesan done and dusted! Three hours of Ricky Gervais and two pairs of gloves later, I finally got to have some scissor hash and it's so nice and yummy. This was my biggest harvest from the tabletop so far, and the buds are nice and solid. I'm really pleased and want to thank @ViparSpectra for the most excellent and economical XS 1500 Pro.

Also thank you for your support, you've been doing a great job, and congrats on the awesome harvest! :cheer:
Thank you SSg. These @ViparSpectra XS 1500 Pros have served me well and I look forward to learning them even better in this next grow. It is so convenient to be able to have two at different levels and intensities. I have the one at 11 inches from the flowers at 100 %, and the other at 11 inches from the seedlings at 25 %, going according to the book now! :)
We're pleased to see our products can make it convenient for you. Hope it's convenient for more people. lol :yahoo:
My auto's are under a KS2500 and they grow very well so, 2 1500 is plenty enough power. SS
Of course, KS2500 and 1500 also were great products at the time. 💪

Doesn't he do a top dress now and then?
Na ah. My SIP's soil have never seen the light of day even.
The problem was that calcium was not getting to the roots. Calcium is heavy and travels downwards through the soil and that requires top watering. That can't be achieved with sub-irrigation, although I supposed calcium can be administered via the res as Otter is doing. Isn't he also adding a lot of calcium to his organic soil in amendments? That takes superior knowledge, skill and practice. To me the best solution is to top water. The only reason to bottom water in my case, is to fill the res and go away for a few days.
4 to 5 ml of 0-0-2 cal/mag down the pipe into the rez every day. The mad grower gets 8 ml.

Na ah. My SIP's soil have never seen the light of day even.

4 to 5 ml of 0-0-2 cal/mag down the pipe into the rez every day. The mad grower gets 8 ml.
Wow, ok! Looking forward to seeing those roots. Do you have any ideas what is making it such a successful grow? What makes your SIP different?

I feel if I had left the plant without water any longer it would have damaged the flowers. The sugar leaves are crisp. I will try again with the second Gelato plant and do it properly this time.
First thing you think is these plants are gonna die. Then you let them go another day and your first thought is omg I've killed my plant it will never recover I must water now if I want to save my harvest. Fact is, these plants are super durable. I've learned to look at those super wilted leaves and think only---->
....man, trimming will be so much easier without all these damn leaves cause my fingers are going to be so covered in resin after the drought. It takes time to build the confidence in your plant and in yourself to make the decision to keep going. I don't fault you for wanting to save her in the least, but remember us tough girls don't need saving, we save ourselves and find a way to survive AND flourish!

Buuuuut most of all, Happy Belated Birthday and happy glorious harvests!!!! So super to see your hard work and dedication come to fruition and how cool to be harvesting one on your Bday!!! Hope it was sensational my lady friend!!!!
Congrats on the GJOTM nomination!
:high-five:
Yes! So well deserved Carmen!! Woo-hoo!!!!!

First thing you think is these plants are gonna die. Then you let them go another day and your first thought is omg I've killed my plant it will never recover I must water now if I want to save my harvest. Fact is, these plants are super durable. I've learned to look at those super wilted leaves and think only---->
....man, trimming will be so much easier without all these damn leaves cause my fingers are going to be so covered in resin after the drought. It takes time to build the confidence in your plant and in yourself to make the decision to keep going. I don't fault you for wanting to save her in the least, but remember us tough girls don't need saving, we save ourselves and find a way to survive AND flourish!

Buuuuut most of all, Happy Belated Birthday and happy glorious harvests!!!! So super to see your hard work and dedication come to fruition and how cool to be harvesting one on your Bday!!! Hope it was sensational my lady friend!!!!

Yes! So well deserved Carmen!! Woo-hoo!!!!!
Thank you very much for the birthday wishes Krissi :circle-of-love: .
I think I will be more confident with the drought the third time and with a healthy plant. This second Gelato auto is a pretty, healthy plant. She got the second snip today, for bud building. She will be a good plant to drought.
I'll get some pics in of the G 2 plant and post shortly.

Here is my final plant of this grow, my extra plant, the Gelato auto 2 from @Herbies Seeds.

Judging by the first Gelato plant, this one will have approximately another three weeks of flower, enough time to back build some lekker buds and do a proper drought.

Happy Belated Birthday, Carmen.

I'm sorry your SWICK didn't work out as well as you had hoped. I find the whole SWICK/SIP conversation very confusing, personally. And, SIPs seem like a lot of work in that you have to give them water often.

I don't need a huge plant with extra work.

Happy Belated Birthday, Carmen.
Thank you HG!
I'm sorry your SWICK didn't work out as well as you had hoped. I find the whole SWICK/SIP conversation very confusing, personally. And, SIPs seem like a lot of work in that you have to give them water often.
Yes it does sound like more work to me too unless you have an automated irrigation system.
I don't need a huge plant with extra work.
No, it doesn't suit my set up either.

Here's a link and video in link
Just remove brackets off link
(https)://www.yourindoorherbs.com/use-water-beads-for-plants/
Interesting. Hydrogels in diapers can be used in soil too. I have experimented with it in vegetable containers. I don't know enough about it to offer any useful comment but I haven't seen the water beads anywhere. Idk, a bit gimmicky maybe? I wouldn't be tempted to try them. I'll keep an open mind if you want to try them @Joe Brewster :)

Back
Top Bottom