Colombian Andes Greenhouse SIP CBD Auto Grow

CBDMed

Hola from the Colombian Andes!
I have autism, and also a closed head (brain) injury.
CBD helps my autism, and THC helps my brain injury (and my attitude, haha).
This is my second thread on 420. I am basically still new. I have a lot to learn.
I appreciate all of the advice and help so far!
Thanks @Azimuth , @Emilya Green , @bluter , @Bill284 , @StoneOtter , @InTheShed , @Phytoplankton , @SmokingWings , @Sueet , @cbdhemp808 , @Mycelium Farmer , and many others!

Mission: Get Stoned
The purpose of the grow is straight up to stuff jars and Malawi ferment bags with 1:1 CBD.
Time is hard to come by here, so I needed a stupid-simple system.
@Krissi Carbone suggested the SIP to @Buds Buddy , and Buds had great success with it, so now I want to try!

Colombian Andes Rooftop Greenhouse

I am in the Colombian Andes, and we are in a small town similar to Pasto, Nariño, Colombia.
The daily high is like 70F +/-4 in summer, and maybe 65F +/-4 in the winter. But it is mountain weather, so it is all over the road.
(I could maybe grow inside here, but we lose power like every other day, so that won't work.)
We are looking for the right property for a sustainable organic farm project.
We want to save all of our money for investing in the property, so right now the plan is for an economical temporary greenhouse on the roof.
The only drawback is that there is strong night security lighting, so that photoperiods probably won't flower.
As mentioned earlier, we lose power too much to grow indoors, so that leaves autos.

The greenhouse plan is basically for a big hoop-tunnel where you can take the doors off of each end (for ventilation in the day), and then seal it back up at night (because it gets cold here).
I read on another thread that if the temps drop below 68F, the plant basically stops growing. Is that true?
There's only a few degrees difference in between summer and winter.
1665981673313.png

To answer a common question, the reason we are choosing a cold climate is because we want lots of rain, because rain in the Andes is decreasing.
However, we don't want WARM rain, because if you can grow coca outdoors, then you have guerrillas, and hence a security concern. So it will be a greenhouse grow.
I bought six big black trash cans to moderate heat. We will see.

The workmen are supposed to buy parts tomorrow, and then come out the next day.
In the meantime I realized I can get started growing in our covered patio area.
It gets some filtered sunlight, so the babies should be ok for a few days.
Hopefully the greenhouse will be built before the seeds are up, but if not, I can string lights temporarily in the patio.

Soil and SIP:
For soil I am using a just-slightly-modified Subcool's Supersoil.
It has some extra worm castings (like 10-15%), and then also 50% rice hulls (to massively boost aeration, because I finally realized that I did not have nearly enough!).
(50% is kind of a rough adjustment, but it was really muddy before, so I hope this opens it up!)
I had juust barely enough time to fill SIPs today if I pushed a little, so I forgot the DynoMyco... :rolleyes:
Anyway, the SIP pots are pre-soaking now, so there is no undoing it... 😬

These are the commercial SIP buckets that Buds is using.
We drilled four overflow / air holes in each bucket at the 4" mark, in case it might make some kind of difference
Once I wisened up, I realized I could put a cup over the fill-tube, and then I could use both hands.
bluecuptop.jpg

I tried to press down on the fill tube a little as I filled the buckets, as it seems like the black stand seals better against the wall of the bucket (which keeps a little bit of the junk out of the reservoir).
Then I packed the soil on the outside of the black stand.

packit.jpg

The tube cover makes it much easier to fill the buckets!
Just be careful when you pull the cap (so that nothing goes down the fill tube).

cupcover.jpg

And here's 20 buckets topside.
It took 2-3/4 big trash cans of the supersoil.

20sips.jpg

I got the buckets inside juust as we lost light.
I moved them downstairs to the covered patio.
The soil was already moist, but I thought to add water to the reservoir while I am soaking seeds, so get the moisture gradient going.
Tomorrow I will scoop out about a Solo cup's worth of the aerated supersoil, and then backfill with already-damp regular soil.
Then I will plant the seeds, and make sure that the moisture content is similar.
(Prob'ly it would have been better to put the regular soil first, before wetting, but we were pressed for time. [Next time, hopefully!])

sip20in.jpg

So tomorrow I will check water levels, add fill-tube floaties, put a cup worth of moist regular soil, and plant.

Seeds:
The seeds are all from sponsors.
First there are five (5) Delicious Candy (aka Delicious Cheese 1:1) by Delicious Seeds.
Second are nine (9) Auto Blue Ace CBD, also by Delicious Seeds.
Third are two (2) Purple Kush 1:1 by a vendor-non-grata whom staff informs me is "no longer to be mentioned"! (Got it!)
Fourth are four (4) Pyramid Seeds Northern Lights CBD.
They are soaking now.

cups4.jpg

Tomorrow morning I hope to plant.
Then I hope we will have the greenhouse up so we can move the buckets in before they need hardening off.
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Hola from the Colombian Andes!
I have autism, and also a closed head (brain) injury.
CBD helps my autism, and THC helps my brain injury (and my attitude, haha).
This is my second thread on 420. I am basically still new. I have a lot to learn.
I appreciate all of the advice and help so far!
Thanks @Azimuth , @Emilya Green , @bluter , @Bill284 , @StoneOtter , @InTheShed , @Phytoplankton , @SmokingWings , @Sueet , @cbdhemp808 , @Mycelium Farmer , and many others!

Mission: Get Stoned
The purpose of the grow is straight up to stuff jars and Malawi ferment bags with 1:1 CBD.
Time is hard to come by here, so I needed a stupid-simple system.
@Krissi Carbone suggested the SIP to @Buds Buddy , and Buds had great success with it, so now I want to try!

Colombian Andes Rooftop Greenhouse
I am in the Colombian Andes, and we are in a small town similar to Pasto, Nariño, Colombia.
The daily high is like 70F +/-4 in summer, and maybe 65F +/-4 in the winter. But it is mountain weather, so it is all over the road.
(I could maybe grow inside here, but we lose power like every other day, so that won't work.)
We are looking for the right property for a sustainable organic farm project.
We want to save all of our money for investing in the property, so right now the plan is for an economical temporary greenhouse on the roof.
The only drawback is that there is strong night security lighting, so that photoperiods probably won't flower.
As mentioned earlier, we lose power too much to grow indoors, so that leaves autos.

The greenhouse plan is basically for a big hoop-tunnel where you can take the doors off of each end (for ventilation in the day), and then seal it back up at night (because it gets cold here).
I read on another thread that if the temps drop below 68F, the plant basically stops growing. Is that true?
There's only a few degrees difference in between summer and winter.
1665981673313.png

To answer a common question, the reason we are choosing a cold climate is because we want lots of rain, because rain in the Andes is decreasing.
However, we don't want WARM rain, because if you can grow coca outdoors, then you have guerrillas, and hence a security concern. So it will be a greenhouse grow.
I bought six big black trash cans to moderate heat. We will see.

The workmen are supposed to buy parts tomorrow, and then come out the next day.
In the meantime I realized I can get started growing in our covered patio area.
It gets some filtered sunlight, so the babies should be ok for a few days.
Hopefully the greenhouse will be built before the seeds are up, but if not, I can string lights temporarily in the patio.

Soil and SIP:
For soil I am using a just-slightly-modified Subcool's Supersoil.
It has some extra worm castings (like 10-15%), and then also 50% rice hulls (to massively boost aeration, because I finally realized that I did not have nearly enough!).
(50% is kind of a rough adjustment, but it was really muddy before, so I hope this opens it up!)
I had juust barely enough time to fill SIPs today if I pushed a little, so I forgot the DynoMyco... :rolleyes:
Anyway, the SIP pots are pre-soaking now, so there is no undoing it... 😬

These are the commercial SIP buckets that Buds is using.
We drilled four overflow / air holes in each bucket at the 4" mark, in case it might make some kind of difference
Once I wisened up, I realized I could put a cup over the fill-tube, and then I could use both hands.
bluecuptop.jpg

I tried to press down on the fill tube a little as I filled the buckets, as it seems like the black stand seals better against the wall of the bucket (which keeps a little bit of the junk out of the reservoir).
Then I packed the soil on the outside of the black stand.

packit.jpg

The tube cover makes it much easier to fill the buckets!
Just be careful when you pull the cap (so that nothing goes down the fill tube).

cupcover.jpg

And here's 20 buckets topside.
It took 2-3/4 big trash cans of the supersoil.

20sips.jpg

I got the buckets inside juust as we lost light.
I moved them downstairs to the covered patio.
The soil was already moist, but I thought to add water to the reservoir while I am soaking seeds, so get the moisture gradient going.
Tomorrow I will scoop out about a Solo cup's worth of the aerated supersoil, and then backfill with already-damp regular soil.
Then I will plant the seeds, and make sure that the moisture content is similar.
(Prob'ly it would have been better to put the regular soil first, before wetting, but we were pressed for time. [Next time, hopefully!])

sip20in.jpg

So tomorrow I will check water levels, add fill-tube floaties, put a cup worth of moist regular soil, and plant.

Seeds:
The seeds are all from sponsors.
First there are five (5) Delicious Candy (aka Delicious Cheese 1:1) by Delicious Seeds.
Second are nine (9) Auto Blue Ace CBD, also by Delicious Seeds.
Third are two (2) Purple Kush 1:1 by a vendor-non-grata whom staff informs me is "no longer to be mentioned"! (Got it!)
Fourth are four (4) Pyramid Seeds Northern Lights CBD.
They are soaking now.

cups4.jpg

Tomorrow morning I hope to plant.
Then I hope we will have the greenhouse up so we can move the buckets in before they need hardening off.
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.
Thanks for the tag! Excitrd to see another self feed grow and what a beautiful place to do one! I'll try to follow along or jump in whenever I can! Super stoked for you my Columbian friend!

Thanks for the tag! Excitrd to see another self feed grow and what a beautiful place to do one! I'll try to follow along or jump in whenever I can! Super stoked for you my Columbian friend!
Thanks, Krissi! And thanks for giving Buds the heads up! I am praying for great things!
I hope you have good grows!

Temps that low really slow things down a lot! Any lower and uptake of nutrients like magnesium get shut down.
Oooohhhhh.......... :oops:
That's not good!
I should heat the room, then?
Maybe hang lights and let them go 24/7 for now?
Normally I would do 18/6 or something for autos, but if heat is an issue...
The room is presently 60F in the day (14 C), except for warm days.
So I should seal up the vent hole in the roof, and hang lights?
Best luck with this nice BIG auto SIP grow!
Thanks, Stone!
And thanks for the tip!
Are there any other ways of heating SIPs?
Would putting them on a heating pad do anything good?
I assume it would warm the reservoir, and then the reservoir would rise up through the soil?

Maybe both hang lights, and put heat pads? (I have quite a few...)

Alrighty, I got the seeds planted (somewhere between 12 and 18 hours, depending).
Everything was floating except one seed (which sank).
I was a little concerned about the Northern Light CBD Auto seeds, because they seemed yellow (and one seemed tiny).
I have other auto seeds, so if anything does not come up, I can replace it.

I dug out about a Solo cup's worth in each one, and then backfilled with a different organic canna soil from Bogota (and the quality seems decent.
I put a small amount of @DYNOMYCO into the base of the hole, and stirred it, and then I also put some more DynoMoyco into the soil I used to backfill (so at least they will get a good start).

DM.jpg

Then I made a small mound of the backfill soil, and then made a small divot in it (to hold the seed).
Then I put the seed in the divot, and cover it with maybe 1/2" of fine organic canna soil (trying to remove any big perlite chunks, etc., so the seed can come up unobstructed).
So then I used a sprayer bottle with Orca liquid mycos and SuperThrive to wet the soil.
The new soil really does not like water at first! So I made 20 small lakes (you'd think it was Wisconsin, haha).

nl.jpg

I will make sure that they all get three or four good lakes' worth, so that the soil gets good and moist at the first.
RIght now I need to focus on lights, and heat mats!

👍 I’m in for the ride
Hey Joe!
I am glad you are here, amigo!
Please feel free to offer any helpful or constructive advice. That is always welcome! Thanks!

Hey Joe!
I am glad you are here, amigo!
Please feel free to offer any helpful or constructive advice. That is always welcome! Thanks!
I’m happy to sit and watch, grow your grow bro 🤟 fellow aspie here too 👊

@Hashhound , do you remember that you told me you pre-loaded your soil with that inexpensive bud and bloom booster fertilizer you showed me on the Big River?
May I please ask, what ratio of fertilizer to soil did you use?
Thanks!

👊
Do you have favorite CBD strains?
I’ve heard good things about some but it’s not something I really look for when buying/growing bud.

I like THC heavy plants/bud but wouldn’t say no to a more CBD based joint if it was being passed round 😂

I hope you pulled out the Dynomyco bag before you filled in the pot. :)
Hahahahahaha!!
Lol!! :laugh:
Thanks for the good laugh!
20 down and 9,980 to go!
Hahahaha!
Candida is mine but it's no longer available. I've heard good things about Ace CBD #1 though.
Ahhh, ya! You like all CBD.
I am historically an indica-dominant guy, but am having some very nice Sativa experiences here lately, so I am going to look for more CBD sativas. (Not sure if they have any of those in autos....)
Historically I have gravitated towards 1:1 indicas, but I guess when I think about it, my favorite is Harlequin, which is a 2:1 CBD sativa, so I may need to re-experiment (re-investigate).
The RSO and the other concentrate oils I can get are local sativas, and I am having some very good experiences! :hookah:
Plus Harlequin is one of my favorite strains, so, "the LED lamp is coming on" (so to speak), and I am looking forward to shopping for some CBD sativas!
(Do they make CBD auto sativas??)

Oh, and speaking of LED lamps coming on....
The patio area would work great if it was warmer (like the last place), becauase it has some natural light (which I could easily augment).
However, it was designed to be breezy, for drying laundry inside, so if I seal it, then we have a humidity problem (which we don't want).

The next best alternative (and actually, maybe better) was to move the pots inside the house, to the guest room.
We are not expecting any guests, so I did that.
I got them all crowded and arranged onto the 14 heat mats I have here.
(I also ordered 7 more.)
Only, there is no lighting yet.

ppp20.jpg

Tomorrow the workmen come to start on the greenhouse, but I will ask them if they can please make some light supports first (so I can hang lights in case any seeds pop before they get the greenhouse built--as things tend to drag out in Latin America...oy va voi...hahaha!).
Any extra heat will be nice inside the house.
And that way the laundry area can stay open and breezy, for laundry.
At the moment, the heat mats are probably still very busy heating up the slab...

Back
Top Bottom