Colombian Andes Greenhouse SIP CBD Auto Grow

Hola, como estas mi amigo? Mucho Gusto, Soy Capitan con suerte.
¡Hola Capitán Suerte (Lucky)!
Gracias al Padre, soy bendecido mucho más de lo que merezco.
Hay algunos baches menores en el camino, pero nada importante.
(Tres pasos hacia arriba y uno hacia atrás.)
¿Cómo estás?

In other news, it seems like a very good thing to put the nursery together, because I need to let my greenhouse worker go.
It is a big deal because it was a family referral (which is a "face" issue here), but everything he did falls apart.
I kept trying to tell him the greenhouse would not be strong like he was building it, but he wanted to argue.
It wasn't worth it to argue with him.
I was going to hire someone to come in behind him and reinforce it, but the (super light) wind blew it over.
1666485950968.png

1666485987299.png

1666486013786.png

Big sigh....
It is hard to explain, but my thought was that if I can find someone competent, we can reinforce the frame with rebar.
Other than that, if I build it myself I will make a totally different plan, to make two smaller ones (that will be much stronger, and won't get blown over by the wind).
In the meantime, I am thinking it is good that I work on the nursery!
Temperatures are a little cold here, but with some LED lamps in the nursery I should be able to raise temperatures to a comfortable range.

Never a dull moment!

???????
Um... not sure, I could be mistaken (happens all the time), but I thought you were the one who encouraged me to sprout in soil, so that the microbes get directly on the root ASAP??
Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I thought it was you.
I seem to have about the same success with towels and with direct sowing, and I thought you said direct sowing was better...
Sorry is that is mistaken... 😬
Yes, but I get them showing a bit of root before putting them in the soil. I just like knowing it cracked, that way if it doesn't come up in a couple of days I know to go looking since I must have some other issue.

So I float them in water until they crack and then plant them directly to the soil. Those that don't crack in 36-48 hours go to paper towels. But I do like to get them in soil asap after they crack and get them in contact with the microbes.

In other news, it seems like a very good thing to put the nursery together, because I need to let my greenhouse worker go.
It is a big deal because it was a family referral (which is a "face" issue here), but everything he did falls apart.
I kept trying to tell him the greenhouse would not be strong like he was building it, but he wanted to argue.
It wasn't worth it to argue with him.
I was going to hire someone to come in behind him and reinforce it, but the (super light) wind blew it over.
1666485950968.png

1666485987299.png

1666486013786.png

Big sigh....
It is hard to explain, but my thought was that if I can find someone competent, we can reinforce the frame with rebar.
Other than that, if I build it myself I will make a totally different plan, to make two smaller ones (that will be much stronger, and won't get blown over by the wind).
In the meantime, I am thinking it is good that I work on the nursery!
Temperatures are a little cold here, but with some LED lamps in the nursery I should be able to raise temperatures to a comfortable range.

Never a dull moment!
I’ve been trying to appender espanol for a few months but I’m nowhere close to being fluent yet. It’s pretty cool though because the words I do know I can kind of piece together to understand what someone is saying. Good luck with your greenhouse mi hermano. CL🍀

If I was doing that greenhouse I would add some sort of sheeting to the bottom 2'. That would add a lot of strength and create a way to firmly fasten to the floor, roof etc. and something that you could fasten your plastic to. You need the light from the top, not the sides. Just a suggestion. :hmmmm:

If I was doing that greenhouse I would add some sort of sheeting to the bottom 2'. That would add a lot of strength and create a way to firmly fasten to the floor, roof etc. and something that you could fasten your plastic to. You need the light from the top, not the sides. Just a suggestion. :hmmmm:
Exactly what I was thinking. I have a large custom-made greenhouse that's a hybrid design using side walls and a PVC hoop roof. For the OP's design, 2 ft high side walls would be sufficient, all the way around. These could be made out of 2x4s and inexpensive hard board or paneling, painted to protect from the weather.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have a large custom-made greenhouse that's a hybrid design using side walls and a PVC hoop roof. For the OP's design, 2 ft high side walls would be sufficient, all the way around. These could be made out of 2x4s and inexpensive hard board or paneling, painted to protect from the weather.
And the weight of all that wood should be sufficient to hold the thing down without resorting to fastening it directly through the roof.

Hola a todos.
Muchísimas gracias for all the good advice and help!
Please let me answer your other questions later.
If we needed to bring in someone for a few weeks to teach JADAM and KNF (ideally in Spanish, but we could translate if we had to), where would we start?
Gracias!

@Azimuth , @Mycelium Farmer

If we needed to bring in someone for a few weeks to teach JADAM and KNF (ideally in Spanish, but we could translate if we had to), where would we start?
Gracias!
I would start with the Jadam book which is likely available in Spanish.

Both Drake and Chris Trump have active utube channels and both offer on-line courses you can subscribe to.

True, never a dull moment. Brace that structure up somehow and it'll serve you.
Yeah, I would like to, but I have to find someone good to do the work. (There are many good and wonderful things about Latin America, but the building construction quality does not usually top the lists, if you know what I mean, hahaha.)

What's the size of the footprint of your greenhouse?
Hey CBD! (Sorry for any delay, this is the first break I've had all day!)
Well......
Right now it is 4m x 7m (about 12' x 28').
If someone will add a rebar endoskeleton, I think it can hold up.
Opening and closing the ends might prove interesing.

If it was me I would lay it out as two smaller grow tunnels like the one I just left, only in 3/4" PVC, rather than 1/2".
Sure, an 8' roof would be great for an all-summer grow (if I am here that long), but I can get by fine with two smaller hoop tunnels. (I only used about half of my old 10' x 20' greenhouse, so TWO tunnels should be lots.)
Plus there is like a 1+m brick wall (maybe 3-1/2' tall) shielding the bottom half of the tunnels, so a LOT less wind would hit them.
I would have to take pictures tomorrow. I have a big huge meeting tomorrow all day, so I will have to find someone to do the work.
Are you going for a heat-retaining greenhouse?
Yes. Good question.
Temps will drop to the low 50s or so (maybe high 40s sometimes in winter), and daytime temps can reach the low 70s, so I was thinking to take all or part of the ends off during the day, for ventilation.
Probably I could open it a little in the morning, pop back up and open it up more about 10AM, and then close it up in the afternoon. (Obviously I would have to play it by ear.)
If it colder here than I would like, but if you go warmer, then you can grow coca out in the open air...and then you get guerrillas, and kidnappings, etc.
There are historically no guerrillas or kidnappings here, so I will need to deal with greenhouses.

I find the weather very comfortable outside in the afternoon. I just have to keep the girls warm at night.
I bought like 6 big black plastic trash cans, for heat sinks.

Yeah, great suggestion, @greenjeans !
There is like a 3-4' high brick parapet wall that can be attached to all the way around.
There are also rebar concrete columns, and we can easily tie to the rebar.
If someone feels he can really shore the frame up with an endoskeleton, then we can run with it (and figure out the doors).
If it was me, I would build two big hoop tunnels like I had in the last place, just with 3/4" PVC.
And then it is already sitting behind a 3-4' tall brick parapet wall.
So, tie it to the brick wall, and the rebar, and she should not go anywhere!
But mostly I am 100% out of time, so I need to find someone who can help me!

In the meantime I am up to 11 little noses and necks, and another bulge, so it seems like the little girls may just have been cold?
We have to find a way to string lights in the nursery room soon!
Again I will need to find help. We have an all-day appointment tomorrow, and I've got to prep.
Thanks!

Thanks, CBD!
My only problem is that I have not seen plywood or OSB since I got here. 2x4's neither. (They use them in Chile, but not here, because they have killer termites. At least for the first floor, everything is concrete and brick here.)
But I get your idea, and I like it!
There is a 3-4' brick parapet wall I can tie to.
I just need to find a good builder here. (They exist, you just have to hunt.)

And the weight of all that wood should be sufficient to hold the thing down without resorting to fastening it directly through the roof.
Yeah, I don't see doing anything that weakens the integrity of a roof. That just doesn't make sense to me (but they do it here).
One can anchor to the parapet wall, or to the rebar, no problem (and it would take a LOT of wind to take the bricks from the parapet wall!).

Back
Top Bottom