Colorful Sunset Sherbet Clones DWC

Don't worry if they don't turn purple post a couple nice shots. Beautiful buds are beautiful buds, I don't mind what color they are.
Bill
Thanks man, I'll see what we can manage under some normal light :high-five:

If you insulate that AC ducting (between the AC and the tent you will get two or three or four more degrees of cooling out of it. I know cuz I've used this setup three times now. Otherwise it's gonna drip anyway.
Thanks @Jon I assume your talking about condensation inside the AC duct to the tent? Didn't even think of that possibility. I'm so glad you said something before i open the tent to find that duct dripping right on a 6week old flower. :thanks:

Following
Welcome @BassBuds Thanks for joining along :passitleft: I'll have to come check out your journal this evening after the family goes to bed. I'm a sucker for anything DWC and RDWC :D

The smell issue we were having with the odor getting right through the filter has finally been solved :slide: spent the last hour hanging an ActiveAir 6x24 inline filter for the fan to push through before leaving the house. We now have 2 filters on one exhaust line. Both rated at 500cfm, both 6x24, one a traditional can and the other an inline. Who says terpenes dont develop in hydro grows:headbanger:
26509B8D-B15D-40F5-B3C8-B6A0CAB26B20.jpeg

Also got the dehumidifier sat on it’s stand and plumbed into the drain :cool:
B68AA6BD-89D7-406E-99F2-6886CC8E41E0.jpeg

Getting ready to finish the night off topping off the res. Have a good night all! :bongrip:

Thanks man, I'll see what we can manage under some normal light :high-five:

Thanks @Jon I assume your talking about condensation inside the AC duct to the tent? Didn't even think of that possibility. I'm so glad you said something before i open the tent to find that duct dripping right on a 6week old flower. :thanks:

Welcome @BassBuds Thanks for joining along :passitleft: I'll have to come check out your journal this evening after the family goes to bed. I'm a sucker for anything DWC and RDWC :D
Yup. Both of mine are way well insulated but the hose inside the tent occasionally drip. But it's only like 8 inches of uninsulated, and since the rest of it is, it doesn't hardly drip. Mostly you want that extra cool you're losing out of the hose between the AC and the tent on the outside. That's what I would insulate. That's where you'll find four more degrees or so. The other thing I did was to wrap a blanket or tshirt around the hose inside the tent. What I found on my first grow is that wherever the AC goes into the tent, whichever plant is right there and gets hit first with the AC gets colder than all the rest and it slows down the growth. I had six plants my first grow, and the AC came in and hit one pot of the six before going anywhere else in the tent. That plant was visibly smaller, the buds were too, and the yield from that plant was weaker than the others. I figured it was cuz the AC made the roots of that one plant colder than they liked. Didn't know for sure, but this time I wrap something around it on the inside to combat that. I even sometimes (depending on outdoor weather) cover the end of the intake hose with a t shirt on the inside of the tent. The cold goes through, but it blocks the movement of the air just enough to cut the AC back a little. I get frustrated cuz the AC is High Fan, Low Fan, High AC, Low AC. There's a knob that supposedly goes cooler to warmer, but all it does it turn off the compresser when you turn it down too low and you're left with fan only. So the tshirt trick was just one of my ways of trying to achieve finer control over the AC and the environment.

The smell issue we were having with the odor getting right through the filter has finally been solved :slide: spent the last hour hanging an ActiveAir 6x24 inline filter for the fan to push through before leaving the house. We now have 2 filters on one exhaust line. Both rated at 500cfm, both 6x24, one a traditional can and the other an inline. Who says terpenes dont develop in hydro grows:headbanger:
26509B8D-B15D-40F5-B3C8-B6A0CAB26B20.jpeg

Also got the dehumidifier sat on it’s stand and plumbed into the drain :cool:
B68AA6BD-89D7-406E-99F2-6886CC8E41E0.jpeg

Getting ready to finish the night off topping off the res. Have a good night all! :bongrip:
Nice dehumidifier. That sure looks like it'll do the job. Damn. Sure wish I could dehumidify the whole space rather than just inside the tent. My life would be much easier. Lol. Nice work Michael. If that smell gets through two filters you have to send me clones. Lmao!

The clones stank before they even rooted.
I'm crying for you.

Girls are looking good. I can't even really tell there is bleaching from the pics.

Yup. Both of mine are way well insulated but the hose inside the tent occasionally drip. But it's only like 8 inches of uninsulated, and since the rest of it is, it doesn't hardly drip. Mostly you want that extra cool you're losing out of the hose between the AC and the tent on the outside. That's what I would insulate. That's where you'll find four more degrees or so. The other thing I did was to wrap a blanket or tshirt around the hose inside the tent. What I found on my first grow is that wherever the AC goes into the tent, whichever plant is right there and gets hit first with the AC gets colder than all the rest and it slows down the growth. I had six plants my first grow, and the AC came in and hit one pot of the six before going anywhere else in the tent. That plant was visibly smaller, the buds were too, and the yield from that plant was weaker than the others. I figured it was cuz the AC made the roots of that one plant colder than they liked. Didn't know for sure, but this time I wrap something around it on the inside to combat that. I even sometimes (depending on outdoor weather) cover the end of the intake hose with a t shirt on the inside of the tent. The cold goes through, but it blocks the movement of the air just enough to cut the AC back a little. I get frustrated cuz the AC is High Fan, Low Fan, High AC, Low AC. There's a knob that supposedly goes cooler to warmer, but all it does it turn off the compresser when you turn it down too low and you're left with fan only. So the tshirt trick was just one of my ways of trying to achieve finer control over the AC and the environment.
Thanks for the tips @Jon Luckily all of our buckets are insulated on the top and the chiller is working at keeping the bucket temps down at 64* already. Probably going to kick it down to 63* with next weeks water change. Pulled the pipe into the sleeve on the tent to that its just barely protruding into the tent. Hopefully that will keep any drips out of the tent. The outer duct only runs about 2' to the AC so it should be easy to insulate with something. :thanks:

Nice dehumidifier. That sure looks like it'll do the job. Damn. Sure wish I could dehumidify the whole space rather than just inside the tent. My life would be much easier. Lol. Nice work Michael. If that smell gets through two filters you have to send me clones. Lmao!
I'm really having mixed feelings regarding the use of this thing lol. It creates heat, not a ton, but it does build up after a few hours of use. I tested it in a bedroom for a few hours with all the ducts closed and a window cracked to let in some moisture. It got pretty toasty in there. Ideally I'd like to only run it during the "night" cycle since the light dries out the air pretty well while its running and should make the heat more manageable. So far so good. Not even a hint of smell getting out now. If you want any clones, lord knows we've got enough undergrowth to take plenty.

I'm crying for you.

Girls are looking good. I can't even really tell there is bleaching from the pics.
Hahaha thanks man. The light does a real good job at hiding its own handy work from the camera. Being trapped in the tent and so close to the light its nearly impossible to get good pictures of the bunch. Come harvest, I'll break out the good camera and get some real detailed shots of the damage.

Thanks for the tips @Jon Luckily all of our buckets are insulated on the top and the chiller is working at keeping the bucket temps down at 64* already. Probably going to kick it down to 63* with next weeks water change. Pulled the pipe into the sleeve on the tent to that its just barely protruding into the tent. Hopefully that will keep any drips out of the tent. The outer duct only runs about 2' to the AC so it should be easy to insulate with something. :thanks:

I'm really having mixed feelings regarding the use of this thing lol. It creates heat, not a ton, but it does build up after a few hours of use. I tested it in a bedroom for a few hours with all the ducts closed and a window cracked to let in some moisture. It got pretty toasty in there. Ideally I'd like to only run it during the "night" cycle since the light dries out the air pretty well while its running and should make the heat more manageable. So far so good. Not even a hint of smell getting out now. If you want any clones, lord knows we've got enough undergrowth to take plenty.

Hahaha thanks man. The light does a real good job at hiding its own handy work from the camera. Being trapped in the tent and so close to the light its nearly impossible to get good pictures of the bunch. Come harvest, I'll break out the good camera and get some real detailed shots of the damage.
Ha! I was kidding about the clones Michael but thanks! I don't know if you feel like messing with it further, but here's one more thing I found using the AC as you are and as I do. I had much better results using the plastic insulated flexible ducting rather than the metal stuff you are using. I tried them both. The metal loses more cool by far. I got the stuff from Home Depot that is complete and already done. It's the plastic duct on the inside, surrounded by a layer of fiberglass insulation, surrounded by a cover of mylar. And it comes already cut in a line down the duct. So all you do is pull out a length that's longer than what you need, cut back the insulation/mylar at both ends to expose just a few inches of plastic duct so that you can tape it as necessary, then wrap tape around the whole insulated duct to keep it in place solidly. It perfectly insulates the duct, it's cheap and easy, and I even have found that I can use the mylar to repair the holes in the floor liner of my tent. So that would help if you really need more cold, and the other thing that would help ALOT is the way you have the pipe attached to the AC unit. Yes, it's taped in place and it appears that you made a good duct tape seal. But your pipe is round, just as it came. Compared to the shape of where the air comes out on the AC into the duct, which is not round. So you're getting as much cold as the shape of your duct over the shape of the outlet hole for the AC is allowing you to get. I did that at first then I realized that I could easily manipulate the shape of the wire that forms the round of the plastic ducting. Just by bending it around a pair of needlenose pliers I was able to turn the round end of the duct into a rectangle two inches tall and 10 inches wide. This is almost exactly the shape of the opening where the AC comes out. Then you do a real good tape job around that and what happens is you are then getting ALL the AC the unit is putting out instead of whatever percentage of it you're getting now. You see what I mean? Anyway, just sharing how I did it after trying it several different ways if it helps.

Insulated duct is lots better than uninsulated. Heat loss and condensation (as previously mentioned) are the two main reasons to use insulated. It's the same as if you were running ducting for your house.
The light does a real good job at hiding its own handy work from the camera.
HPS is not good lighting for photography I agree, but just looking at the physical characteristics of the plants they look healthy. Doesn't look like any red hairs on them yet from what I can tell.

Ha! I was kidding about the clones Michael but thanks! I don't know if you feel like messing with it further, but here's one more thing I found using the AC as you are and as I do. I had much better results using the plastic insulated flexible ducting rather than the metal stuff you are using. I tried them both. The metal loses more cool by far. I got the stuff from Home Depot that is complete and already done. It's the plastic duct on the inside, surrounded by a layer of fiberglass insulation, surrounded by a cover of mylar. And it comes already cut in a line down the duct. So all you do is pull out a length that's longer than what you need, cut back the insulation/mylar at both ends to expose just a few inches of plastic duct so that you can tape it as necessary, then wrap tape around the whole insulated duct to keep it in place solidly. It perfectly insulates the duct, it's cheap and easy, and I even have found that I can use the mylar to repair the holes in the floor liner of my tent. So that would help if you really need more cold, and the other thing that would help ALOT is the way you have the pipe attached to the AC unit. Yes, it's taped in place and it appears that you made a good duct tape seal. But your pipe is round, just as it came. Compared to the shape of where the air comes out on the AC into the duct, which is not round. So you're getting as much cold as the shape of your duct over the shape of the outlet hole for the AC is allowing you to get. I did that at first then I realized that I could easily manipulate the shape of the wire that forms the round of the plastic ducting. Just by bending it around a pair of needlenose pliers I was able to turn the round end of the duct into a rectangle two inches tall and 10 inches wide. This is almost exactly the shape of the opening where the AC comes out. Then you do a real good tape job around that and what happens is you are then getting ALL the AC the unit is putting out instead of whatever percentage of it you're getting now. You see what I mean? Anyway, just sharing how I did it after trying it several different ways if it helps.
Thanks again for the tips @Jon :thanks: I was half way kidding about the clones. If you really wanted some, we can make it happen :high-five:. The misses has been wanting to take a trip to the gulf and I'd love to do some fly fishing in the everglades. Do they make that stuff in 4"? I only taped it to half of the inlet since i didn't want to rob the AC cooling the closet itself. With the chiller running (which produces heat)and now a dehumidifier to work into the rotation, we cant divert too much of the AC into the tent. Not to mention, we have so much negative pressure in here that it is actually sucking the AC through that duct rather than being blown in by the unit itself. If i had one of those thick wall gorrilla tents, id be less worried about it lol.

Insulated duct is lots better than uninsulated. Heat loss and condensation (as previously mentioned) are the two main reasons to use insulated. It's the same as if you were running ducting for your house.

HPS is not good lighting for photography I agree, but just looking at the physical characteristics of the plants they look healthy. Doesn't look like any red hairs on them yet from what I can tell.
I completely agree on the insulated ducting. It'll get sealed up this weekend for sure.

Thank you for the kind words man :thanks:Gonna try and get some natural light photos this weekend with the good camera. The very tops of a few buds have turned as white as a sheet of paper. But otherwise the brunt of the bleaching is just on some fan leaves. There are a few red hairs from damage here and there. Two of the closest buds to the light have just about lost all their hairs on top from the bleaching.

I like to call em our little Friar Buds :laugh:

Thanks again for the tips @Jon :thanks: I was half way kidding about the clones. If you really wanted some, we can make it happen :high-five:. The misses has been wanting to take a trip to the gulf and I'd love to do some fly fishing in the everglades. Do they make that stuff in 4"? I only taped it to half of the inlet since i didn't want to rob the AC cooling the closet itself. With the chiller running (which produces heat)and now a dehumidifier to work into the rotation, we cant divert too much of the AC into the tent. Not to mention, we have so much negative pressure in here that it is actually sucking the AC through that duct rather than being blown in by the unit itself. If i had one of those thick wall gorrilla tents, id be less worried about it lol.

I completely agree on the insulated ducting. It'll get sealed up this weekend for sure.

Thank you for the kind words man :thanks:Gonna try and get some natural light photos this weekend with the good camera. The very tops of a few buds have turned as white as a sheet of paper. But otherwise the brunt of the bleaching is just on some fan leaves. There are a few red hairs from damage here and there. Two of the closest buds to the light have just about lost all their hairs on top from the bleaching.

I like to call em our little Friar Buds :laugh:
I understand about the splitting the AC between the tent and the environment. I did the same thing regarding the new AC in the auto tent. Gotcha. You got this under control. And yeah, the pressure thing took me by surprise. Since all I have on the new AC is a wide open 10" port and the unit pushed up against the tent so the opening is lined up with the port - that's it for my seal other than a towel tucked around and a box to hold it in place, lol, I didn't even consider that I might have to up the exhaust fan speed. But sure enough, now I can't run it below level 6 or I get positive pressure. Lol. Ah, tweaking.....so fun in the beginning, such a pain later when you just wanna watch the plants grow with no issues. Ha.

I understand about the splitting the AC between the tent and the environment. I did the same thing regarding the new AC in the auto tent. Gotcha. You got this under control. And yeah, the pressure thing took me by surprise. Since all I have on the new AC is a wide open 10" port and the unit pushed up against the tent so the opening is lined up with the port - that's it for my seal other than a towel tucked around and a box to hold it in place, lol, I didn't even consider that I might have to up the exhaust fan speed. But sure enough, now I can't run it below level 6 or I get positive pressure. Lol. Ah, tweaking.....so fun in the beginning, such a pain later when you just wanna watch the plants grow with no issues. Ha.
The misses has been wanting to take a trip to the gulf and I'd love to do some fly fishing in the everglades.

You guys should come down and take a weekend in early/mid June. I have a big place with an entire guest room suite you could stay in for free. The only price would be you get to help me final trim my harvest for jarring. And of course you would be obligated to try all seven strains I'll have ready at that point. Then there would be the whole trading harvest samples thing we would likely do. I even have a small man made pond right in my backyard where I fish daily and catch everything from large blue tilapia to peacock bass to largemouth bass! I just snagged my first largemouth out of there, see the pic! He broke the water and cleared the surface TWICE! (see picture). And the Everglades or any other number of fabulous places to fish are too numerous to count, and all relatively close to me. Let me know when I hit a downside to this plan....

:welcome:

Oh the joys of tinkering lol. I found our new exhaust threshold the other day coming home to the entire house smelling like the garden. The added positive pressure from ac pushed all the stink right out of the tent lol.

You guys should come down and take a weekend in early/mid June. I have a big place with an entire guest room suite you could stay in for free. The only price would be you get to help me final trim my harvest for jarring. And of course you would be obligated to try all seven strains I'll have ready at that point. Then there would be the whole trading harvest samples thing we would likely do. I even have a small man made pond right in my backyard where I fish daily and catch everything from large blue tilapia to peacock bass to largemouth bass! I just snagged my first largemouth out of there, see the pic! He broke the water and cleared the surface TWICE! (see picture). And the Everglades or any other number of fabulous places to fish are too numerous to count, and all relatively close to me. Let me know when I hit a downside to this plan....

:welcome:
Haha i’ll run it up the flag pole and see what she says. Sounds like a fair deal to me :thanks:
Forgot the pic:
Nice catch :headbanger: Bass fishing is probably my favorite pass-time and it really doesn't get much better than Florida. Dont think we’ve taken a single trip in state without bring at least 2 rods with us.

Oh the joys of tinkering lol. I found our new exhaust threshold the other day coming home to the entire house smelling like the garden. The added positive pressure from ac pushed all the stink right out of the tent lol.

Haha i’ll run it up the flag pole and see what she says. Sounds like a fair deal to me :thanks:

Nice catch :headbanger: Bass fishing is probably my favorite pass-time and it really doesn't get much better than Florida. Dont think we’ve taken a single trip in state without bring at least 2 rods with us.
COOL. You can even tell the wife if you want that if she required it to make an informed decision (should this ever become reality) I'd be willing to send a few pics of the living space for her. You, I assume, are like me and would be happy in a sleeping bag on the floor if it's free (lol), but I wouldn't do that to someone's wife. Ha. Yeah there's a bunch of great bass and snook spots that are right in Bonita Springs even and even a few within a few blocks of the best bait and tackle store in the area! It works out real well. They even have a bunch of handicapped accessible spots. Snook fight real hard. Harder than bass.

And thanks, cuz you just made something click for me. Inside my auto tent stinks. In a great, dank way. And this is just the beginning. But I hadn't smelled the slightest odor in the garage whatsoever. I was psyched. But the last couple days there have been a few times when I opened the garage and smelled the smell that is just like the smell in the tent, and that's a very specific odor. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be coming from the tent, I just thought the smell of weed was on my clothes or whatever, and I do smoke weed in that garage. But it's definitely the smell from my tent. And now I know why - when I added the new AC, I also, like you, increased the pressure and had to turn the exhaust up to 8 to get negative pressure. That is doing the same thing yours is doing. That's gotta be it. So cool, mystery solved!

:thumb:

COOL. You can even tell the wife if you want that if she required it to make an informed decision (should this ever become reality) I'd be willing to send a few pics of the living space for her. You, I assume, are like me and would be happy in a sleeping bag on the floor if it's free (lol), but I wouldn't do that to someone's wife. Ha. Yeah there's a bunch of great bass and snook spots that are right in Bonita Springs even and even a few within a few blocks of the best bait and tackle store in the area! It works out real well. They even have a bunch of handicapped accessible spots. Snook fight real hard. Harder than bass.

And thanks, cuz you just made something click for me. Inside my auto tent stinks. In a great, dank way. And this is just the beginning. But I hadn't smelled the slightest odor in the garage whatsoever. I was psyched. But the last couple days there have been a few times when I opened the garage and smelled the smell that is just like the smell in the tent, and that's a very specific odor. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be coming from the tent, I just thought the smell of weed was on my clothes or whatever, and I do smoke weed in that garage. But it's definitely the smell from my tent. And now I know why - when I added the new AC, I also, like you, increased the pressure and had to turn the exhaust up to 8 to get negative pressure. That is doing the same thing yours is doing. That's gotta be it. So cool, mystery solved!

:thumb:
You'd be surprised the creepy, sketchy, bug infested places we've hiked and camped over the years. She's a real keeper :D But she DOES prefer a bed these days lol. Private message me a little closer to then (you understand the memory thing lol) and I'll check with the boss and see what's on the docket. Glad I could help turn the light on for that issue :passitleft:

Big Photo dump. Not much to report, same numbers as the last update. Everything is humming along nicely. Got some light on and light off photos for comparisons sake. This will really show the "damage" :lot-o-toke:

I'm gonna split this into 2 posts because they're pretty big photos.

Light on

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

DSC_0811.JPG

Didnt take a normal light photo of this one. Just wanted to post the only visible supercropped branch. Normal light photos coming in a few minutes. :bongrip: break

Onto the normal light photos. Going to do my best to match the order so that you can compare if you'd like. The one with the most bleaching is the only one with some slight crisp to her leaves. Buuds still look good though :yummy: Enough blabbering, onto the fun part

DSC_0821.JPG

DSC_0813.JPG

DSC_0820.JPG

DSC_0819.JPG

DSC_0822.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

All the yellow on the leaves is bleaching. Obviously not full on white bleaching, but the color is clearly bled out. Looks pretty cool if you ask me :ganjamon:

I’m starting to have second thoughts on the yellowing leaves. Obviously the few that have turned white are bleached. But the clearly yellow leaves may be on their way to purple right now. If you look at the third picture in my last post #277, the leaf tip closest to the camera appears to be turning purple :yahoo: originally i thought it was just the final stages of burn, but after some sleep its clearly a magenta/purple starting. so damn excited :headbanger::bongrip:

On a side note, it’s been raining like crazy since last night. Usually the RH in the canopy would be in the 75-80% range with the light off on a day like today. Now that the dehumidifier is plumbed and running, the canopy is sitting at 64% RH and 63*f. It’s been a TON of work but i think we’ve tamed this crazy weather down here :blunt:

I’m starting to have second thoughts on the yellowing leaves. Obviously the few that have turned white are bleached. But the clearly yellow leaves may be on their way to purple right now. If you look at the third picture in my last post #277, the leaf tip closest to the camera appears to be turning purple :yahoo: originally i thought it was just the final stages of burn, but after some sleep its clearly a magenta/purple starting. so damn excited :headbanger::bongrip:

On a side note, it’s been raining like crazy since last night. Usually the RH in the canopy would be in the 75-80% range with the light off on a day like today. Now that the dehumidifier is plumbed and running, the canopy is sitting at 64% RH and 63*f. It’s been a TON of work but i think we’ve tamed this crazy weather down here :blunt:
Congratulations on taming the weather. She's a beast in our parts. Then I hear all these guys in Canada who have the opposite weather problems and damn, everyone is at the mercy of Mother Nature. Lol. Can't speak to the yellowing leaves, the white tops of some of the buds is clearly a bit of bleaching. You could tie those branches down an inch or two from underneath if you felt like giving that a try if you can't raise your light. Getting seriously frosty in there. The buds look great!

Congratulations on taming the weather. She's a beast in our parts. Then I hear all these guys in Canada who have the opposite weather problems and damn, everyone is at the mercy of Mother Nature. Lol. Can't speak to the yellowing leaves, the white tops of some of the buds is clearly a bit of bleaching. You could tie those branches down an inch or two from underneath if you felt like giving that a try if you can't raise your light. Getting seriously frosty in there. The buds look great!
Thanks man, its been tough sealing out the outside. I’d much prefer being too cold and dry than the opposite. We dont want to risk breaking any branches so we’re just gonna let em ride at their height. Once they swell a little more they’ll start drooping under their weight backing themselves away from the light on their own :thumb:
Those buds are starting to stress a little... red hairs creeping in. Hope it's limited to the top bud only. :goodluck:
At almost the beginning of 7 weeks this was right around the time we saw red hairs last round. I’m starting to think its a strain specific thing. We’re not sweating it one bit but thank you! :thanks::bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom