Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Up to this point I've never had to deal with mites ! ( not yet). Should I be treating as a preventive measure with neem or something ? Just moved two ladies into 15 gal DBHH pots and a few others in another tent veggn' in smaller pots. Thanks, Ole Rooster scratching his head this AM..... :peace:

If your environment is good and you keep you area clean you should have no worries. But keep an eyes out for any webbing and such. I don't believe you need to take any extra preventive yet as HB is a preventive in itself. I have no pest issues at all, it's great!!

Up to this point I've never had to deal with mites ! ( not yet). Should I be treating as a preventive measure with neem or something ? Just moved two ladies into 15 gal DBHH pots and a few others in another tent veggn' in smaller pots. Thanks, Ole Rooster scratching his head this AM..... :peace:

I have not had any issues with Mites for 3 or 4 grows but what I have started doing is
setting up a Lady Bug home around the middle of Veg. They are great hunters and just
spend all day working there way up and down the leafs looking for a meal :)

Anyway they can be purchased 1000 at a time from Orchard Supply or on line.
The best approach I have found is to use a cloning tray and lid. Add a wet sponge
for water (need to keep it moist) and some Raisins for Food, close the top air vents
with just a little room for the smart ones to find a way out. This set up will last through
Flower and you will still have some Lady Bugs present. They will multiply in there house and
as long as you keep there escape down to a minimum will last a very long time. the problem
most people just open the container and let them out, well in a few days they are all gone.

But again I have not had any problems and this has only been a precaution to help make
sure they don't come back

I have not had any issues with Mites for 3 or 4 grows but what I have started doing is
setting up a Lady Bug home around the middle of Veg. They are great hunters and just
spend all day working there way up and down the leafs looking for a meal :)

Anyway they can be purchased 1000 at a time from Orchard Supply or on line.
The best approach I have found is to use a cloning tray and lid. Add a wet sponge
for water (need to keep it moist) and some Raisins for Food, close the top air vents
with just a little room for the smart ones to find a way out. This set up will last through
Flower and you will still have some Lady Bugs present. They will multiply in there house and
as long as you keep there escape down to a minimum will last a very long time. the problem
most people just open the container and let them out, well in a few days they are all gone.

But again I have not had any problems and this has only been a precaution to help make
sure they don't come back

That's very cool!

My worst mite problem came a couple Cannabis Cups ago, when several award winning clones came home to the garden....and infected us with award winning mites.

It took 4 months of vigiliance, but the infestation was put down and controlled with no loss of yield or quality.....and nothing in the way of a miticide or chemical.

It was done with foliars and Leaf Wash only. I'll say it again.....miticides are everywhere and lots of folks are smoking them without knowing it and damage is being done to people's health and it's gonna bit a big friggn' deal soon.

Nothing is more important that finding a way to grow clean buds, chemical free.

Not all of us have a refractometer to play with, and even though I have one, I often run out of leaves to test!

I tried defoliating 2 plants last cycle, and while it worked as advertised for increasing yield and bud sites, the brix plumeted to 9.....the rest of the plants were 15-17. So, despite prevailing opinion, I have actual measurements via a scientifically sound method to prove that plants need their leaves. If you want to grow high brix, you've got to foliar feed. If you foliar feed, you're pretty much relying on foliage in order to do that.

So, when you run out of leaves, or you don't have a refractometer, how do you know how your brix levels are doing?

Thankfully, I've begun to notice some consistencies. High Brix territory is marked by the following:

1.)overall stellar plant health
2.)bright green stems
3.)bright green petioles.....even on strains that usually have purple petioles
4.)silly amounts of resin.

Hi Doc,

I was going over the beginning of this journal and I came across this post by you, and the defoliating part caught my eye. I have been testing different pruning to maximize bud sites, height control and yield, but I never once considered the impact on brix levels. I prune and train the plants to be bushes, still with plenty of leaves.

I noticed that your plants are typically tall and not pruned into bushes.

Can you expand on this?...I know this post from you is over 4 years old.

Hi Doc,

I was going over the beginning of this journal and I came across this post by you, and the defoliating part caught my eye. I have been testing different pruning to maximize bud sites, height control and yield, but I never once considered the impact on brix levels. I prune and train the plants to be bushes, still with plenty of leaves.

I noticed that your plants are typically tall and not pruned into bushes.

Can you expand on this?...I know this post from you is over 4 years old.

DL,..how's all brotha! My memory is failing me , but , i do remember this post very well! You are OK pruning for yield , i do the same . Doc is referring to Defoliating , which means just as it says,..getting rid of most leaves . When we prune like you and i...and many , many others , our Brix remains very normal, high. We are actually raising it , if anything because we are causing more and more leaves to grow and mature. Very cool post eh! We should hope that some of the people who defoliate their plants see it . It's not always about yield,..we have to put quality first ...always. Cheers DL , Doc and gang!

Have a great night everyone...:high-five:

That's very cool!

My worst mite problem came a couple Cannabis Cups ago, when several award winning clones came home to the garden....and infected us with award winning mites.

It took 4 months of vigiliance, but the infestation was put down and controlled with no loss of yield or quality.....and nothing in the way of a miticide or chemical.

It was done with foliars and Leaf Wash only. I'll say it again.....miticides are everywhere and lots of folks are smoking them without knowing it and damage is being done to people's health and it's gonna bit a big friggn' deal soon.

Nothing is more important that finding a way to grow clean buds, chemical free.

Between the Stealth Properties of High Brix Plants (Insects don’t recognize them as food)
and my roaming Army of Kraken (Lady Bugs) I don’t think they stand a chance of getting
a foot hold

lady9.jpg

DL,..how's all brotha! My memory is failing me , but , i do remember this post very well! You are OK pruning for yield , i do the same . Doc is referring to Defoliating , which means just as it says,..getting rid of most leaves . When we prune like you and i...and many , many others , our Brix remains very normal, high. We are actually raising it , if anything because we are causing more and more leaves to grow and mature. Very cool post eh! We should hope that some of the people who defoliate their plants see it . It's not always about yield,..we have to put quality first ...always. Cheers DL , Doc and gang!

Yep. At the time I wrote that, people were really getting into defoliation, where they take all fan leaves off the plant except the topmost fan leaf on each branch.

The rationale was that this produced more budsites. It did! But the quality went way down and I never tried it again. I still get 3-7 oz per plant.....which ain't bad at all. But they're tall, some are topped, and I like to let the leaves grow and do their thing.

It's almost as if the plants need the leaves for something.....Like they grow leaves for a reason. I know that sounds crazy to folks who like to defoliate, but I just can't help thinking that leaves are useful to the plant somehow.....

Grape ape will be in our garden this winter and I can't wait for those colors.

That tangie is that frosty with a few weeks left? Yummy!

I try to replace Ape all the time! Either the strain doesn't purple up like it should, or it doesn't smell and taste as good as Ape, or a combination of the two.

I still haven't found a good replacement. I gotta have one purple, frosty bag appeal strain....and so far this one is the best I've found.

Tangie has about 3, maybe 4 weeks. I am starting to take it a bit earlier than I usually do, as the terps get more complex and "sour" when I let it go longer. They are very obviously citrus now and will stay that way for 3 more weeks at least.

BTW, the new drenches have improved terps on several strains. Are you using them now? If so, what are your thoughts?

Between the Stealth Properties of High Brix Plants (Insects don't recognize them as food)
and my roaming Army of Kraken (Lady Bugs) I don't think they stand a chance of getting
a foot hold

lady9.jpg

Very awesome pic Gazoo! Love it brotha! Back in the day i tried LB's. but like you were sayin there,..i was one of those fools who just opened the container,...couple days they were all gone. Rats soup!...LMAO! Great post bud!:high-five:

Ah ha! That makes sense. I knew there was a back story. Thanks Duggs

Back
Top Bottom