First Grow - Advice Welcome!

BioEng

Hi! Well i'm very new here, and doing my first grow for my dad with parkinson's, so it's very important that these guys grow well and healthy.

So, details on the setup:

2x2x4,6 Grow Tent
250W MH with DIY cooltube (with a 6 inch exhaust fan)
4 inch fan with variable speed to control temps
Growing in 7 liter soil pots, using a 1:1 mix of All Mix and Light Mix by Biobizz
Nutrients are an indoor try pack for BioBizz (haven't used any yet)
Temps are rather high, between 77-86 (Summer where i live right now)
RH kept between 40-45 (scared of mold and others, i prefer to keep it on the low side)
And the strains are all autoflowers: Tutankhamon and amnesia by PyramidSeeds, and a couple of Skunk #1.

These are day 15 from seed (germination was around a week or so)

IMG_20150124_161955.jpg
IMG_20150126_194228.jpg
IMG_20150126_194231.jpg
IMG_20150126_194236.jpg

As you can see, one of them started with some issues (some pp told me it was probably overwatering), so i tried to correct that by only watering the small area around it.

These are day 16 from seed

IMG_44607.jpg
IMG_44596.jpg
IMG_44623.jpg
IMG_44616.jpg

So the sick one is growing better now, but still looks odd.

These are day 18 from seed

IMG_44666.jpg
IMG_44655.jpg
IMG_44633.jpg
IMG_44645.jpg

That's it so far.

I'm still unsure when i should start giving them nutes, and if i should give them a light break (right now i'm on 24/0).

That's it for now, i'll try updating every few days.

Welcome to 420 my friend.
OK I ran autos for years and can help some I hope :) Get them on 18/6 light schedule asap! this is part of the reason for maybe a touch of slow growth! The other reason is definite over watering. get another pot and fill with dry soil, pic it up and then you have a yard stick to judge against for when your pots are drying out!
With MJ and especially autos you need to remember less is more! :)
They are young and the soil will have plenty in it still so no nutes in my book, just keep an eye on leaf colour. If going light green give em a feed :)
Anyway they look healthy so well done so far!

Welcome to 420 my friend.
OK I ran autos for years and can help some I hope :) Get them on 18/6 light schedule asap! this is part of the reason for maybe a touch of slow growth! The other reason is definite over watering. get another pot and fill with dry soil, pic it up and then you have a yard stick to judge against for when your pots are drying out!
With MJ and especially autos you need to remember less is more! :)
They are young and the soil will have plenty in it still so no nutes in my book, just keep an eye on leaf colour. If going light green give em a feed :)
Anyway they look healthy so well done so far!

Thanks! I will keep all of that in mind.

I was looking at the pictures, and then my plants, and i'm noticing a bit of heat stress on the leaves (a tiny bit of curling on the outside). Do you guys see it too? This worries me a bit because of summer, and no a/c option, there's not much i can do for that. I was reading that some products with sea weed extracts (like the alg-a-mic) help out with this kind of stress. Any thoughts on this?

They look fineto me lol, these are hardy plants that take a lot of abuse and grow ever onwards. at this point id just leave all your vents wide open as you wont have any smell etc, even leave the door open at lights on!
One reason your getting this is the level you potted up at, you have created a little well for heat to gather. next time get your soil level up some! Id increase your airflow with adding a oscillating fan on them!

They look fineto me lol, these are hardy plants that take a lot of abuse and grow ever onwards. at this point id just leave all your vents wide open as you wont have any smell etc, even leave the door open at lights on!
One reason your getting this is the level you potted up at, you have created a little well for heat to gather. next time get your soil level up some! Id increase your airflow with adding a oscillating fan on them!

You're right with the soil thing. I will try to fill the bottom of the pot with more soil, before the roots expand too far.

Also, what do you think of the spots that my sick plant has? It the second pictures from the bottom.

Subscribed. Welcome to 420 Magazine!

Here is the BioBizz nutrient feed schedule

biobizz_grow_chart1.jpg

Here are some New Member start links for you to familiarize yourself with that may help you

New Member Start Links

Frequently Asked Questions

Website Help & Feedback

Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

420 Guidelines FAQ's

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

The Basics Of Plant Lighting

Finished Plants 100% LED Grown

420 Product Reviews

How To Add Links To Signatures

420 Magazine ® FAQ

How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

What Reflective Materials Can I Use For My Grow Room?

Guide To Identifying Your Pests

How can I transplant my plant into a bigger pot?

Nutes - What To Use & How To Use Them - Tutorial

Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Here are links to my current Grow Journal and Reviews

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

KingJohnC's Twilight Groups LED 432W Spider COB Seed Cabinet Grow Journal & Review

KingJohnC's Green Sun LED Lights Znet4 Aeroponic Indoor Grow Journal & Review

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Lumenator 2x Black Widow Grow Journal & Review

Review of the Arizer Extreme Q Vaporizer Provided by Vaporizers.net

Marijuana Smoker's Guidebook: The Easy Way to Identify and Enjoy Marijuana Strains

You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flower.
You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

For vegetative growth I would use a 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness lighting schedule. I read a study where lighting schedule versus root length was tested and plants grown under a 16/8 lighting schedule grew the longest roots, 18/6 was not tested. I was made aware of a study where lighting schedule versus growth was tested and plants given at least 5.5 hours of darkness grew the most.

Here are some chart that may help you

You may be able to lower your light. Place your hand underneath the light bulb to the point you can not feel any heat and move the light above your canopy to that height, raise the light as your plants grow.

Here are some lumen versus distance charts, they do not take heat into account

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

Thanks for that summary on problem detecting!

Here is my update, these are 21 days from seed. As you can see, i had a little accident with the sick one and it lost one of it's two early leaves (it got cut off, don't ask)
21Dias-2.jpg
21Dias-1.jpg

21Dias-4.jpg
21Dias-3.jpg

I watered them yesterday, with their first bio-grow those (0,5 ml per liter to start). They seem to be doing ok.

Thanks again for the feedback!

What are the temperature and humidity levels?

RH is set to 45, so it's usually between 40 and 50.
Temps are between 77-85. I try to place the thermostat at canopy level but not in direct light.

See any issues on the plants that might have to do with this?

I would use a cool mist humidifier to raise the humidity in your grow area or where the intake air area is. Your plants are showing some leaf edge curl damage indicating that your plants have a evaporation problem most evident on your auto flower Skunk Indica. You can raise the humidity in your building by boiling off large pots of water.

I do have a mist maker that turns on when the humidity hits 40. I decided to keep it between 40-50 because of a lot of indications around the forum. Do you think it should be higher?

I do have a mist maker that turns on when the humidity hits 40. I decided to keep it between 40-50 because of a lot of indications around the forum. Do you think it should be higher?

Those numbers are for flower. You basically want to humidify veg and dehumidify flower. At least in most cases.

Okay, i just set to to 55 then, let's hope it fixes that stress problem.

Thanks!

You really want to be on the higher range when they are young and then you slowly drop it down. 80 may be an acceptable range, i wouldn't suggest it for a new comer as you want to just stay in the safe zone for your first grow and the experiment after you got the basics.

i'm scared to get it too high. Even though i'm growing in a tent, it's in sort of a corner of my house, under a roof but open and close to chickens, dirt and a garden, so i don't want to attract mold and possibly bugs. is that reasonable?

Yes but that rh needs to be higher. Just be a clean freak. Businessman is spot on for you I'd shoot for 65%-70% I was just stating what I veg at. But I've been using my setup for some time and everyone's is different

Back
Top Bottom