Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Hi all. Got room in this room for a newbie? Never smoked rosin though I did try shatter once that had been purchased from a dealer. I'm assuming they are not exactly the same???

Need CBD and thc to counter the pain from a severely compromised back AND fibromyalgia combined.

Have thought about using rosin instead of green but I dont know much about it, actually. So I came here hoping to learn.

I've been looking at presses here online and they dont seem terribly expensive so I though that, come the fall, that I might buy one. I'll need some advice in that department when the time comes...

So hope you dont mind my dropping in here unannounced!

All my best,
~Magnus

Happy Friday GT and friends! Here's tonight's night cap, BlackBerry kush, pink kush CBD and white widow rosin. I hope everyone has a fantastic evening. Thanks again for the tips on collecting the hard to get rosin. I'm gathering purple goo slowly but surely.
20200516_003706.jpg

:passitleft:
I'd hit it!

Hi all. Got room in this room for a newbie? Never smoked rosin though I did try shatter once that had been purchased from a dealer. I'm assuming they are not exactly the same???

Need CBD and thc to counter the pain from a severely compromised back AND fibromyalgia combined.

Have thought about using rosin instead of green but I dont know much about it, actually. So I came here hoping to learn.

I've been looking at presses here online and they dont seem terribly expensive so I though that, come the fall, that I might buy one. I'll need some advice in that department when the time comes...

So hope you dont mind my dropping in here unannounced!

All my best,
~Magnus

:welcome: to the thread!

Rosin can be smoked, ingested, used topically, or in a suppository. Fresh off the press, the cannabinoids are in the same state as flower, so you'll need to decarb it if you don't smoke it to convert the acidic forms to the non-acidic forms (ie: THCa -> THC) if those are what you want. You can further process the rosin with a press to extract the THCa to get diamonds and sauce. It's simply a concentrate that can open a whole new world for you.

I can't smoke flower or rosin without trying to cough up a lung. I press the flower that I grow, decarb the rosin, mix it with coconut oil and liquid lecithin, before putting it into capsules. The advantage is that I can use cannabis for my back without coughing up a lung. The disadvantage is that it takes 90 minutes to 2-1/2 hrs before it starts working, A nice side affect is that the smoking rules society has put in place don't apply to rosin capsules. They can be taken discretely anywhere, anytime.

The amount you can press at a time is dependent upon the press you get. I have the Dabpress dp-hr10t35 with 3" x 5" plates, and a 10 ton hydraulic ram. It can handle two 7gm bottle or chottle tech pucks at a time, so 1/2oz flower per stroke. I can easily press a pound of flower a day. It takes me another day to decarb, mix it, and put it into capsules.

However you want to use the rosin you'll need a clamp, pre-press mold, filter bags, dab tools, and silicone coated parchment to extract the rosin with your press. With 3" plates, I recommend a 30mm round pre-press mold. The pre-press molds get sticky and hard to use after a while, so you'll need to clean them with isopopyl alcohol after every eight to sixteen pucks.

Ask here before you buy a press. Some of those available are crap, and the folks here will be glad to help you avoid them. Occasionally someone here will want to sell their press when they upgrade to a larger one, so you may be able to get a deal on a gently used press.

I don’t know what that is? Irwin
You clearly are more experienced than me , I max out at 4 gram pucks .. I recover more yield with my wee 10 ton dab press when I do smaller pucks than I do making a big mess with larger pucks .
I’m special
Haha
Namaste!

Ok so i got alil 6ton dabpress an a few times ive done it now the bags seem to jus suck up the oil thts pressed out the side. But thats when they are filled up so would i maybe have a better chance if i used smaller amounts then you think?

It’s a binding agent. I believe it helps with evenly distributing the THC molecules throughout the entire mixture. That’s a guess. I do notice I get high a little quicker with lecithin added. Maybe that’s psychological...I’m a freaking placebo! :laugh:

I believe its an emulsifier to help the thc bond better or quicker in our bodies lol. Thats about as sciencey as i get hahahaha. So i could be wrong but im pretty sure its an emulsifier tho lol.

:welcome: to the thread!

Rosin can be smoked, ingested, used topically, or in a suppository. Fresh off the press, the cannabinoids are in the same state as flower, so you'll need to decarb it if you don't smoke it to convert the acidic forms to the non-acidic forms (ie: THCa -> THC) if those are what you want. You can further process the rosin with a press to extract the THCa to get diamonds and sauce. It's simply a concentrate that can open a whole new world for you.

I can't smoke flower or rosin without trying to cough up a lung. I press the flower that I grow, decarb the rosin, mix it with coconut oil and liquid lecithin, before putting it into capsules. The advantage is that I can use cannabis for my back without coughing up a lung. The disadvantage is that it takes 90 minutes to 2-1/2 hrs before it starts working, A nice side affect is that the smoking rules society has put in place don't apply to rosin capsules. They can be taken discretely anywhere, anytime.

The amount you can press at a time is dependent upon the press you get. I have the Dabpress dp-hr10t35 with 3" x 5" plates, and a 10 ton hydraulic ram. It can handle two 7gm bottle or chottle tech pucks at a time, so 1/2oz flower per stroke. I can easily press a pound of flower a day. It takes me another day to decarb, mix it, and put it into capsules.

However you want to use the rosin you'll need a clamp, pre-press mold, filter bags, dab tools, and silicone coated parchment to extract the rosin with your press. With 3" plates, I recommend a 30mm round pre-press mold. The pre-press molds get sticky and hard to use after a while, so you'll need to clean them with isopopyl alcohol after every eight to sixteen pucks.

Ask here before you buy a press. Some of those available are crap, and the folks here will be glad to help you avoid them. Occasionally someone here will want to sell their press when they upgrade to a larger one, so you may be able to get a deal on a gently used press.
Wow!!!

Thank you for so much information. Now you have really piqued my curiosity.

This is all great advice and it gets at some of my basic questions.

Thanks again.

~Magnus

Ok so i got alil 6ton dabpress an a few times ive done it now the bags seem to jus suck up the oil thts pressed out the side. But thats when they are filled up so would i maybe have a better chance if i used smaller amounts then you think?

I can’t use bags to save my life !!! Naturally some impurities and fats get in my resin but it’s the toll ..
with a really tight c clamp pre pressed puck I don’t get any debris .. so it works , for me :)

I can’t use bags to save my life !!! Naturally some impurities and fats get in my resin but it’s the toll ..
with a really tight c clamp pre pressed puck I don’t get any debris .. so it works , for me :)

I tried it bare bones with 14gm, 40mm pucks. It made a mess, as the flower was squished out from between the plates. The yield was therefore lower as well. It can be an option for smaller pucks, but it's not something I've tried.

My press has to be set up, used, cleaned and put away every time I want to use it. That is why I do such large runs, and want to finish as soon as possible.

The timing I have is:
~ 3 min to measure 7gm material, form a puck, and insert the puck in a filter bag
1 lb makes 64 pucks, taking just over three hours. You also need about 1/2hr to clean the mold as you go.
~ 6 min per press cycle, and collecting the rosin from a previous press cycle
1 lb / 64 pucks require 32 press cycles, or just over three hours

I make all the pucks first, and hold them in the filter bags with a 1" plastic clamp from the dollar store.

I use an app to time my press routine:
30 seconds preheat, with the plates just deforming the pucks
1 min 30 seconds low pressure stage. This is 2500lb on the gauge
2 min or more high pressure stage. This is 5000lb on the gauge

Note that the pressure will drop and need to be reset during the low and high pressure stages. These pressures are for two, seven gram, 30mm diameter chottle or bottle tech pucks per press cycle. For a single puck, I use half the pressure. Following this routine gives me consistent results for the full pound of flower.

full

Oops! A couple capsules cracked while I was filling them. I didn't want to waste them... so... here I am five hours later, floating back to earth. :cheesygrinsmiley:

100mg Sapphire Scout rosin per capsule. I'll put them aside for when I need a heavy hitter.

Welcome back @Old Salt. I hear space is nice this time of year. I'm mixed up some oil with my pucks, might have to make the trip :dude-knocking:

I let it cool and I plant to reheat it for a bit and filter. Then to the moon!

20200516_084418.jpg

Houston, we have a problem...

full

Front Panel: Opening Too Large

This is the physical problem. The InkBird controller is much smaller than the LKTC-B1-T. I'll solve this with a faceplate clamped with screws to the front panel for testing. I may or may not make a new bottom piece for the case at a later date.

Another problem lies with the temperature control. I'm almost certain that I'll also have it with the Inkbird. The problem is with temperature overshoots. The mass of the heater is much greater than the mass of the beaker and its contents. The heater gets much hotter than the beaker, and this is transferred to the rosin when the heater is turned off. The smaller the volume of the beaker, and what's in it, the worse the problem gets. My small 50ml beaker had an overshoot of 30°C with 11ml rosin and oil in it. The set temperature was 50°C.

To get around this problem, I'll use an oil bath of 300-500ml for the beakers. The added volume should stabilize the temperatures. Note that the volumes I work with will be from about 10ml for 30 capsules to 160 ml for 400 capsules. This magnetic stirrer / hot plate is designed for use up to 1000ml. We'll see how that works out.

The second problem is the reason I'm not investing the time to redesign, and rebuild the case yet. I just want to test everything before I go that far.

“Some fuqing corona killer right here son!” This is why I love my Grandpa Glue. Enjoy and stay safe please.

See now this is the stuff i wana get to making!! This looks killer gramps congrats as always u make the killer lookn rosin i cant wait till i get there lol. So far ive only been able 2 get stuff super clear/amber like tht once an i havnt been able 2 get it like tht since. An of course i forgot to write down temps an time. But ill post a pic pf the good stuff i made like a week r two ago an then ill show the stuff i got since then. The first pic will be from some highbrix Bubba Island Kush i had harvested and let sit to dry out for like 12 days so it was crispy dry forsure but not cured yet and the rosin i pressed was fantanstic omg one hit from this stuff an i can already feel my eyes wantn to close lol. But yea ill show the goods first. The the second stuff was from the black cherry punch i did at 220°f for 2minutes 30seconds after it was heated up to the 220 mark both plates that is idk if tht makes the difference but i did both tht temp.

Ok so this is my good good rosin i did with the Bubba Island Kush but i forgot to write dwn temps an time dammit lol. But omg its sooooo tastey. It has a slight earthy taste at first but then upon exhale omg it jus bursts of this super fruity sour fruit kinda taste i cant quite put my finger on it but its a sourish fruit of sum sort an omg its jus amazing lol.

Then here is the Black Cherry Punch that i did at 220°f for 2 ana half minutes. I waited till it was heated up an did it it didnt even start to ooze out till like A min 45 then i noticed it coming dwn really slow at 2 min 15 sec an then jus let her go another 15 sec an stopped n popped her out but it was very very dark so i wasnt sure if i burnt it or what. The effects are amazing tho it really puts u dwn a peg or two lmao. But its got a very earthy planty taste to it i wonder if that is jus the strain or is it cuz i burnt it or what idk lol. But yea here she is the Black Cherry Punch.

This is an actual picture of it being made in the middle of the process. See how dark she is? Is it maybe cuz of the strain being so dark i never checked the triches on her maybe she had a bunch of darker ones where the purple spiraled in them idk lol. But this is it now im off the finish up catching up in every1 else journals lmao. As if i could actually get caught up in all of them lol.

I find every strain is different. Every grower is different. Press may not be the same, etc. I get consistent results from my glue and she’s very photogenic, so that’s why I use her often. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I love that you guys smash stuff too!

@Old Salt you’re already way beyond my skill level, but I love watching you do magic.

I find every strain is different. Every grower is different. Press may not be the same, etc. I get consistent results from my glue and she’s very photogenic, so that’s why I use her often. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I love that you guys smash stuff too!

@Old Salt you’re already way beyond my skill level, but I love watching you do magic.

Yea i totally understand where ur coming from. Cause ive noticed every time i press a different strain it ends up looking different. Ive now decided to start documenting the temps and the time/how long i go for each press along with the strain i use. Once i find a really good one like urs and that glue she is a great one 2 use. Once i find a gud1 like that maybe then ill stick to that one in particular an hopefully i can dial it in so to say an get her lookn great like urs awesome job every1 an gud luck pressing ur pucks. So im off to try this mix up i have of kief and lil bud chunks and jus alil trim but its all from my highbrix buds. It's a mix of Black Cherry Punch and Tangarine Dream and Bluedream Haze so this press should be something to smoke lol. I cant wait to try her out. Ive been having this sit in a ziploc bag so hopefully its ruined but man can i see the triches. Wen i smoked the buds from each of these they got me high as can be so im very excited to see how they do with a gud press an mixxxed altogether like this. Eitherway it will be gud fun to press it lol. I'll post some pics along the way and wen it's done to show what i end up with wish me luck every1.

Back
Top Bottom