Graytail's 3rd: 4x4, HiBrix, Latest LED Tech, Lots Of Light!

Incredible GT, Took me long enough to find this but Subbed :high-five:

Heheh, saw your likes and wondered if you hadn't seen my journal yet. Welcome to the party! :party:

*puff puff pass* :bongrip:

And I just realized that MrTeddy would probably be a lot more interested in my wife's Greek ancestry that you, DrZiggy.

:lot-o-toke::loopy:

:Namaste:

im intrested too :laughtwo:

it's really cool that your wife is of Greek origin Gray, Greek women are hot dude bravo :high-five:

im intrested too :laughtwo:

it's really cool that your wife is of Greek origin Gray, Greek women are hot dude bravo :high-five:

:laughtwo: Thank you! She's always been that way, heheh.

Hey Gray...Waz goin on brotha! That winning Destroyer of yours....do ya have any pics of her with her fans still on? Wanna get an idea of what Desfrans are gonna look like. I remember reading way back that you said you pinched off most of them. Something like that....it was quite a while ago. Have a great night eh....Duggs.

I found a pic 4 weeks into 12/12 for ya. It's from page 15 of my second journal if you want a closer look. :Namaste:

DSCN6521.JPG

And as long as I'm posting pics, here are the babies ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Orange Hill Special

DSCN7426.JPG

Tikal

DSCN74271.JPG

Desfran

DSCN74281.JPG

Panama just came up today ...

DSCN74292.JPG

And this is Buddha Blue Blood at 6 weeks old ...

DSCN7431.JPG

The leaves on that Blue Blood are stunning Greytail!

the way you train your plants is impressive brother, first time i saw it was in your destroyer and now that i go through your journals i see that you got a unique way of training their skeleton into the same shape every time!

you should do a guide about it and educate us

:laughtwo: Thank you! She's always been that way, heheh.

I found a pic 4 weeks into 12/12 for ya. It's from page 15 of my second journal if you want a closer look. :Namaste:

DSCN6521.JPG

And as long as I'm posting pics, here are the babies ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Orange Hill Special

DSCN7426.JPG

Tikal

DSCN74271.JPG

Desfran

DSCN74281.JPG

Panama just came up today ...

DSCN74292.JPG

And this is Buddha Blue Blood at 6 weeks old ...

DSCN7431.JPG

Thanks Gray....looks just like I thought it would. You lst'd her and or topped her ?Do ya know what caused the leaves to start to fade like that? Cheers Gray!

the way you train your plants is impressive brother, first time i saw it was in your destroyer and now that i go through your journals i see that you got a unique way of training their skeleton into the same shape every time!

you should do a guide about it and educate us

Thanks Gray....looks just like I thought it would. You lst'd her and or topped her ?Do ya know what caused the leaves to start to fade like that? Cheers Gray!

I usually just LST my vegging girls. At some point when they're in vigorous veg mode and have enough branching to work with, I'll bend the top over and fix it in place. This would be a few nodes past the alternate stage. It really depends on the branching pattern of the strain. Then I'll keep bending the highest tops away and down, letting the lower ones get some of the growth hormone so they can catch up. This opens the middle and slows the fast tops. I usually get 12-15 tops and I keep adjusting them daily so they stay equal. It's "gentle" LST, although it really messed with the apical hormones, so it reduces stretch going into bloom. At first I wondered why mine don't stretch worth a crap. :cheesygrinsmiley: When it goes well, I get 3+ oz from a two foot plant, and I can fit 6-7 of them in my 4x4. :slide:

The key to my technique is the constant bending of the highest tops. Usually, I just bend the top couple inches down and away in a short arc like a shepherd's hook, but I don't tie them down. The top will recover quickly - in an hour or so - but the apical hormones get redistributed so that the lower branches grow faster. The lower nodes of that branch will also grow faster. Another method is to bend the entire branch away from the plant at the base which will lower it, too. Eventually they're equal and grow at an equal rate until bloom.

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Here's a post from my first journal, too ...

As a general rule, I like to watch a complex system and look for the inflection points that will make it more efficient. That philosophy crosses a lot of genres, from process engineering to caring for plants to teaching. So I don't like the idea of heavy defol and mainlining, etc. Instead, I try to simply guide a plant in the direction I want it to go, looking for its own natural tendencies and assisting or resisting them.

I usually end up using LST. Multiple topping seems to inhibit the plants I grow, and simple topping doesn't get me the large canopy I want. So when the youngster is about a foot tall it's been growing alternate nodes for a few cycles, and I look for a place and direction I can bend the top to bring it lower than a group of side branches. Since I've done it so often now, I'll do some small cleanup like clipping off the side branch under the bend as well as that fan. I'll push any tall lower branches into the center of the plant which brings them higher. Sometimes I'll twist the bent top as it grows so each pair of side stems stay on the sides instead of top and bottom - that gets a lot of tops. I'll usually fix that bent top in place and then bend and fiddle with the other side branches several times a day as they grow from the higher allocation of growth hormone they're getting. It's foolproof - the tip that's even slightly above the others will grow fastest. Every time one branch grows taller, I'll bend the top 3 inches or so outward and down into a curl. They recover in a matter of hours, and I do it again and again until they stay there. This will often allow a secondary side branch to reach the same height as its tip, so I get mulitple equal branches from one main one. I like to grow them to about 14 inches over 60 days, and I'll usually end up with 10-15 equal apicals when I flip it. Since the growth hormones are so evenly distributed, I'll usually get less than a double in stretch.

It's low stress, but the natural growth pattern is still seriously diverted, so growth does noticeably slow. But that also makes a nice full canopy with a mature root system, and good yields for such small plants.

Here's a pic that shows my technique fairly well.

DSCN55141.JPG

GT, you ever try the technique, im not sure the name..clipping the top of a bud to help bulk it up during late bloom? A member here,:scratchinghead: does it and swears by it..

Backbuilding. :cheesygrinsmiley: Nope, never done it myself. I may try it sometime on a particularly fluffy pheno. The growers I've seen try it, have liked it.

Backbuilding. :cheesygrinsmiley: Nope, never done it myself. I may try it sometime on a particularly fluffy pheno. The growers I've seen try it, have liked it.

I tried it on my initial grow. You could notice a definite change in structure, meaning the buds squared off a bit, but I don't think it makes much difference in yield. My understanding is that it was used to make the buds prettier for marketing purposes. I'll probably stop doing it. My buds are pretty to me because I grew them. :laughtwo:

I get that early fade a lot, probably because of my small 6 gallon pot size. I also tend to underfeed. But this soil was out of balance and got worse as the grow continued. It was part of what contributed to the amazing blueberry aroma and the magenta coloration. So I kept it going as well as I could with GE feeds and it managed to finish pretty well. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'll be watching for it with this new soil. Topdressing EWC earlier than normal also helps, so I'll probably do that with the new batch at the same time I flip 'em. I usually do it a couple weeks later.

Ya Gray....earlier up there you described perfectly how I,also train my plants....the very same as you. Just keep tieing down the leaders so the rest can catch up,so to speak.....works great eh. It's all I do now....no topping ,I feel as you, that it's just too much stress and takes them a while to heal and start growing again. What you also said about giving the ewc a bit sooner helps as well ....just gives it more time to take effect. I also give the Recharge earlier than instructions too. What I've been doing is give the recharge then sprinkle or spread out the ewc right over the recharge then slowly water in! Seems to really prevent any late flowering issues.Usually give them both a week or two before flip.Keep in mind though that I veg mine considerably longer as well....just to get the size i'm after.Cheers pal.:high-five:

I usually just LST my vegging girls. At some point when they're in vigorous veg mode and have enough branching to work with, I'll bend the top over and fix it in place. This would be a few nodes past the alternate stage. It really depends on the branching pattern of the strain. Then I'll keep bending the highest tops away and down, letting the lower ones get some of the growth hormone so they can catch up. This opens the middle and slows the fast tops. I usually get 12-15 tops and I keep adjusting them daily so they stay equal. It's "gentle" LST, although it really messed with the apical hormones, so it reduces stretch going into bloom. At first I wondered why mine don't stretch worth a crap. :cheesygrinsmiley: When it goes well, I get 3+ oz from a two foot plant, and I can fit 6-7 of them in my 4x4. :slide:

The key to my technique is the constant bending of the highest tops. Usually, I just bend the top couple inches down and away in a short arc like a shepherd's hook, but I don't tie them down. The top will recover quickly - in an hour or so - but the apical hormones get redistributed so that the lower branches grow faster. The lower nodes of that branch will also grow faster. Another method is to bend the entire branch away from the plant at the base which will lower it, too. Eventually they're equal and grow at an equal rate until bloom.

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Here's a post from my first journal, too ...

As a general rule, I like to watch a complex system and look for the inflection points that will make it more efficient. That philosophy crosses a lot of genres, from process engineering to caring for plants to teaching. So I don't like the idea of heavy defol and mainlining, etc. Instead, I try to simply guide a plant in the direction I want it to go, looking for its own natural tendencies and assisting or resisting them.

I usually end up using LST. Multiple topping seems to inhibit the plants I grow, and simple topping doesn't get me the large canopy I want. So when the youngster is about a foot tall it's been growing alternate nodes for a few cycles, and I look for a place and direction I can bend the top to bring it lower than a group of side branches. Since I've done it so often now, I'll do some small cleanup like clipping off the side branch under the bend as well as that fan. I'll push any tall lower branches into the center of the plant which brings them higher. Sometimes I'll twist the bent top as it grows so each pair of side stems stay on the sides instead of top and bottom - that gets a lot of tops. I'll usually fix that bent top in place and then bend and fiddle with the other side branches several times a day as they grow from the higher allocation of growth hormone they're getting. It's foolproof - the tip that's even slightly above the others will grow fastest. Every time one branch grows taller, I'll bend the top 3 inches or so outward and down into a curl. They recover in a matter of hours, and I do it again and again until they stay there. This will often allow a secondary side branch to reach the same height as its tip, so I get mulitple equal branches from one main one. I like to grow them to about 14 inches over 60 days, and I'll usually end up with 10-15 equal apicals when I flip it. Since the growth hormones are so evenly distributed, I'll usually get less than a double in stretch.

It's low stress, but the natural growth pattern is still seriously diverted, so growth does noticeably slow. But that also makes a nice full canopy with a mature root system, and good yields for such small plants.

Here's a pic that shows my technique fairly well.

DSCN55141.JPG

This is like a mini seminar Greytail. I like the way you explain it, but I'm going to need some more time to think it through. I have so much to learn before this grow is finished. :laughtwo: I'm sure glad I have so many talented people to learn from. Whew!

Back
Top Bottom