HashGirl's First Indoor Grow: Dark Devil Autos In Hempy, 2020

Sure, I can try that.

In the meantime, do I fertigate today as Felipe has suggested I do every day or should I back off on fertigating as Mr. Krip suggests?

The well water can also have calcium, lime and other stuff. Have you checked PPM's?

That being said, I've been keeping quiet and watching silently but, for a plant that young, I'd really be letting the hempy dry out in between feedings until the plant develops some good roots. The tips you've been getting on fertilizing every day, plugging the drain hole, etc. would be much better if the plant had a good root system and, IMHO, the plant has been showing signs of over-watering. Yes, I know you "can't" over water a hempy, but the daily watering is keeping that small root zone constantly saturated. If you let those young plants experience dry cycles between feedings, they'll develop roots much quicker. :Namaste:

Thank you, Mr. Krip.

So, is it your suggestion that I go back to watering every other day or every 3 days?

Sure, I can try that.

In the meantime, do I fertigate today as Felipe has suggested I do every day or should I back off on fertigating as Mr. Krip suggests?
I went to look at your and Felonious' indoor journal. You were in a buffered medium. Since Hempy has no buffers the pH has to be in the right zone.
You may not notice a fluctuation as much in soil.
In your first post you were having a bit of trouble pHing your nutrient solution. You used both pH up and down. Have you gotten the hang of it a little better? Ideally you would only want to use one of these products at a time.
It can take a bit of patience.

How does the plant look today?

Thank you, Mr. Krip.

So, is it your suggestion that I go back to watering every other day or every 3 days?
Yes, my suggestion is to let the hempy dry out before adding more nutes. You'll be able to tell when it's dry because it will feel like picking up a bucket of feathers. That perlite is very light once the water is gone. It will probably take a day or two in between waterings, right now. If you find it's drying out every day, you'll want to up-pot to a larger container. Autos are pretty "fickle" so you want them in their final container pretty early on, if you're growing any autos.

i wouldn't fertigate anymore than every second or third day. in a 5L with that size of a plant you aren't gaining anything by doing it more often.

at this time it's more about refreshing the res and keeping res ph in check. the roots have not hit the res yet. you'll know when they do. right now they are in the upper part of the bucket, they need at least a 48 hr break between feedings.

edit: also in a bucket that size water at the edges and make the roots hunt outward.

by the time you hit mid veg they should be sucking the bucket about dry by every second or third day. @Mr. Krip's right about them getting light as feathers. in flower we have had to feed daily to keep up in a 2L, not always something usual in hempy, but can happen. i can't see that in a 5L unless you extend veg.

i actually feed by formula in hempy. x amount per feed depending on my bucket size.

2L - 750 ml / feed
5L - 1L / feed

every 2nd to third day dependent on plant stage.

i don't exactly recommend doing it that way, but it can smooth out a few curves in the beginning.
had to develop something for a family member to follow. i literally hand him a recipe depending on stage and how the plants look.

i too am curious what's going on with the water. i'm on ro, the great equalizer in any hydro app.

Good morning HG! :meditate:

Lots of opinions. It’s so great that you can benefit from all of this experience!

I agree that the plants look like a typical over-watered plant - the leaves pointing at the roots is what I looked for before I started doing hempy. Since then, the only time I saw that was when I didn’t notice that the hole was plugged (again, ensure that there is good flow from the hole - a pee not a trickle).

Personally, I think that your little girls are about to take off. The top growth is telling me that the plants are discovering the reservoir. At this point, backing off to every 3 days, or when you feel the pots are getting very light, will encourage the roots to spread out and fill the pot.
:hippy:

By the way, you’ll notice that I said “discovering the reservoir”, not “hitting the reservoir“. After several hempy grows, I now know that the plant treats the hempy bucket as if it were a mini soil profile, with a water table. In this case, with the perlite, it’s like a coarse-grained, porous sand, but with a much greater ability to hold/wick moisture. As the roots grow downward, they can sense the increasing moisture, and therefore “discover” that the water table is near.

In a hempy bucket, the roots don’t hit the bottom of the bucket (and induce flowering in
Autos :rolleyes: ). There isn’t much oxygen in the reservoir, and they would suffocate. I have never seen roots grow into the reservoir, unless the bucket is completely drying out and requires fertigating more than once a day, as during flowering, or if left too long in too small a pot. Typically, the bottom of the root system is even with the hole, and there’s just perlite below that.

Also, when you harvest, take a look at the root system. You’ll see that the tap root, the one that initially came out of the seed, doesn’t actually shoot straight down to the reservoir. A short distance below the surface, it typically branches out, and there are many thick roots from there.

Your little plants are starting to figure all this out, and are getting excited. Soon..

Hi HashGirl. I’m not going to add to all the advice about fertigating a hempy pot... but I will say that your RH sounded a bit low to me, at 48%.

Best to try to get it above 55% for veg if you can and the temp of 74ºF is fine and warmer is ok too. I’d say 78ºF is a sweet spot. Personally I aim for 78-80º and 60%RH during veg. If I keep things close to that ball park, everything goes particularly well.

A someone back ther mentioned, it matters where you put your temp/humidity sensor. Ideally you want it in the plants’ canopy zone so you get the best idea of conditions right there

How is retirement going in other areas? I imaging it might feel a bit weird at times... or maybe it just feels awesome all the time! Are you playing your drums much?

Hi HashGirl. I’m not going to add to all the advice about fertigating a hempy pot... but I will say that your RH sounded a bit low to me, at 48%.

Best to try to get it above 55% for veg if you can and the temp of 74ºF is fine and warmer is ok too. I’d say 78ºF is a sweet spot. Personally I aim for 78-80º and 60%RH during veg. If I keep things close to that ball park, everything goes particularly well.

RH is humidity, right? So, how do I increase it? Just put a bucket of water in there with them (which is fine this grow when there are only 2 plants in the tent)?

A someone back there mentioned, it matters where you put your temp/humidity sensor. Ideally you want it in the plants’ canopy zone so you get the best idea of conditions right there.

Our sensor is hanging from the light into the canopy area but not touching the plants.

How is retirement going in other areas? I imaging it might feel a bit weird at times... or maybe it just feels awesome all the time! Are you playing your drums much?

It is kind of weird being retired during a pandemic. Being an introvert IRL is good because my natural inclination is to hang out at home in normal times so being told to stay home is like when my babysitter when I was 10 (?) sent me to my room where all my books were as punishment. :laughtwo:

But, even I'm getting bored so Felonious has been out looking for disinfectant wipes for me to keep in my purse and masks to wear even though I'm the one that needs protection not the people around me. I think people think wearing the mask will protect themselves, which isn't true at all. At least not with the kind of masks available for non-medical people. I know the mask won't protect me but when I do go out, I feel like people think I should be wearing one since they are.

I want to go shopping if I want to without fear of getting the dreaded disease and when movie theatres open back up, I want to go see a movie. I like movies in the theatre. I like getting popcorn, seeing the Coming Soons and enjoying the movie in a dark and quiet room in a comfortable seat. Watching a movie at home just isn't as enjoyable in my opinion.

AND, I would like to be able to visit my sisters and their families and play Scrabble with my dad and just do normal things with family so I need to have the proper supplies in order to be able to do that.

But, the nice weather is here and when the pool is ready to be used (this weekend, probably), I will probably want to spend more time at home again.

In the meantime, since May 1st (start of retirement for those who don't know), I've:
  • started learning how to grow cannabis
  • gotten high 21 times
  • had 25 naps
  • read 10 books
  • walked/hiked 35 kilometres
  • lost 1/2 a pound
I LOVE BEING RETIRED. I love never having to do anything. I don't have to get up with an alarm clock. I can sleep as long as I want. I can nap every day if I want to and as you can see above, I take full advantage of that. :laughtwo: I don't have to do any work all day if I don't want to. I can stay in bed all day and just read if that's all I want to do (and I did do that last Monday), I can sit outside and read all day. I can go bird watching with Felonious. I do need to find good binoculars though. Even being retired, there's lots to do. Oh, and I was thinking about maybe trying knitting again so that I can watch all the movies I've recorded. I've watched 4 that I recorded over the past week but my hands feel like they need to be doing something while I'm sitting there.

And, I know this has nothing to do with growing but I blame Amy. She asked, after all and you know how I tend to ramble when I'm high. I didn't call my personal journal a Stoner's Random Thoughts for no reason, you know. :laughtwo:

Anyhow, to bring it back round to the subject at hand, I had a peek at the babies before posting this and I think at least DDA1 is looking a little perkier so I think not fertigating today was a good thing. I will fertigate again on Friday.

Thanks, everyone.

:passitleft:

sent me to my room where all my books were as punishment. :laughtwo:
:thumb:
  • Got high 21 times
  • had 25 naps
  • read 10 books
  • walked/hiked 35 kilometres
  • lost 1/2 a pound
Sounds fantastic! Just what I was hoping - apart from the slightly stir crazy side of course :D

For raising relative humdiity there are a few options - yes a bowl of water in there can help, especially if you blow the oscillating fan across it (if you don’t have an oscillating fan on the plants yet, you should have!).

Do you have any budget for it or are you after strictly no cost options?

I use these little sonic misters - personal humidifiers they’re called. Not the diffusers like folks use for essential oils, these are larger and produce more mist.

I’m currently upgrading to ones that don’t mist, but the misting ones have worked superbly for me. I use ones made by Homedics, but they don’t seem to make them anymore. I’ll scout what I have collected while researching them again and see what I found.

The sonic mister sounds great! In the meantime, the bowl of water tek can be improved by hanging a towel, with a couple of inches in the water. The water will wick up the towel and evaporate. And the fan speed can be set lower. You will be surprised at how soon the bowl needs to be refilled.

I’ve looked back and I think you’re going to see a big change any time now. It looks like your roots are about to take off. It can be so stressful to wait on the roots. :hug:

This was DDA 6 and 7, from a post back in 2017, I believe. The little ones are at Day 17 or 18, and my intent was to let them run wild this time through. DDA6 was unmolested and thriving. I used her as my benchmark.

IMG_508610.JPG

DDA7 was a little droopy, so of course got topped, and it turned out to be a little too aggressively. She bounced back.

IMG_508810.JPG

IMG_5089.PNG

IMG_5090.PNG

When I get back home I’ll look up what yields were. I know these were soul, and you’re growing in perlite. I wanted you to see that they can start out looking compromised and pick up as soon as they have enough fine roots to support the expansion of plant material.

My advice would be to leave her sit about 3-4 days before drenching again. You can’t overwater a hempy, but you can encourage some root development by letting them go dry every now and then. Just don’t do that too often.

With cannabis growing, as in many things cannabis, less is more. :hug:

Listen up, folks! All this stuff about temp and humidity has been helpful. However, it turns out it's not needed as I was reading the wrong side of the temperature and humidity gauge. We have 3 in the house. One for my tent. One for Felonious' tent and one for the house in general. They have 2 gauges; one is for inside the house and one is for outside and I assumed that inside was inside the tent and outside was the rest of the house but apparently, it's the opposite and therefore, I believe my numbers are actually good right now.

So, the numbers are:

Temperature: 74F
Humidity (RH): 56%

:snowboating: It's all good.

For raising relative humdiity there are a few options - yes a bowl of water in there can help, especially if you blow the oscillating fan across it (if you don’t have an oscillating fan on the plants yet, you should have!).

Do you have any budget for it or are you after strictly no cost options?

I use these little sonic misters - personal humidifiers they’re called. Not the diffusers like folks use for essential oils, these are larger and produce more mist.

I’m currently upgrading to ones that don’t mist, but the misting ones have worked superbly for me. I use ones made by Homedics, but they don’t seem to make them anymore. I’ll scout what I have collected while researching them again and see what I found.

RH is humidity, right? So, how do I increase it? Just put a bucket of water in there with them (which is fine this grow when there are only 2 plants in the tent)?

Our sensor is hanging from the light into the canopy area but not touching the plants.

Anyhow, to bring it back round to the subject at hand, I had a peek at the babies before posting this and I think at least DDA1 is looking a little perkier so I think not fertigating today was a good thing. I will fertigate again on Friday.

When do I increase the nutes? I'm still feeding them at the seedling stage. Surely, they're beyond seedlings now???

I haven't fertigated since Tuesday and am planning on doing it tomorrow morning and would like the question answered before then, please and thank you.

And, I have no photos. The DDA1s looked perky yesterday but the DDA2 looks better today and the DDA1 looks droopy. I didn't lift the pots like that good grower I should be because I had just unzipped the top of the tent and taken a peek. I didn't unzip it all the way because I was tired and quite late. Lights go out at 11 a.m. and I didn't even get done breakfast until 11. I was tired because I walked 6 kilometres this morning in two separate walks. The first one and longest one with Felonious and the second one with my almost 90-year-old dad and both times was up the same really long, steep hill. I can't walk up it without stopping at least once to stop. It takes me about 3 minutes to walk up it. Felonious can go up it without stopping but he doesn't have as many knee issues as I do so it was too much for my knee and I had to pop some painkillers when I got home and rub pain cream on it (my left is always the issue [well 99.9% of the time, ;)].

So, I was tired and sore and after I cooked my dinner (Shake 'n Bake chicken thighs with caramelized onions and mushrooms and peas:battingeyelashes:), I took my book to bed with my heating pad and read for a couple of hours and slept for an hour and then got up and finished my book and then I took a bunch of Raspberry Cough capsules and now, I'm super high and how long did it take YOU to figure that out?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom