Icemud's 2018 Journal: Pine Tar Kush Pheno Hunt & More

Nice run down of the seed project bud! Nice info collected and shared. What has you questioning your Black Cherry Soda?

Well I never was actually sure it was black cherry soda... about 4 or 5 years ago I ordered clones from a vendor I found online and I I had ordered 2 purple urkles along with some cookies clones and others. I grew them all out and realized that the plant that was supposed to be purple urkle was not right, (the Black Cherry Soda). I tried calling back the clone supplier and in those days it was still everyone operating under the "prop 215" medical laws, so most of the time the suppliers wouldn't talk on the phone, let alone answer questions about things. I never was able to get a hold of them to ask what it was, so I went to their website and looked at their strain list. There was nothing on the list other than black cherry soda and grape ape that would have had a purple/grape flavor to it, everything else was either kushes or sativa dom strains. Therefore after googling black cherry soda and looking at a bunch of different photos I assumed that I had black cherry soda as it looked similar to other photos at the time I saw.... as of the last year or 2, black cherry soda really started to hit the mainstream and I have seen a ton of photos of what now people are calling black cherry soda, and it has much fatter leaves and the buds and inner leave turn maroon/purple mid flowering, my do not and mine has much thinner leaves.

I've always questioned what it is that I have, and the plant is so dank (one of my absolute favorites) that I have kept it going all these years. One of these days and hopefully once DNA testing comes down in price I will send it over to Phylos bioscience to have them match up the DNA and hopefully know for sure what I have. All I know is its something special, which is why my very 1st fem seed project was with the black cherry soda, and it actually worked very well. I have a bunch of Black Cherry Soda BX (fem) seeds that I haven't released to anyone yet, but one of these days I would like to pop a few just to see how similar they are to the one I have in plant form.

Anyhow when I was taking the notes above, I included the (might be grape ape) as years down the road if I ever forget the details of the plants, I will have the notes, and hopefully 420 Mag to refer back to. :)

Deep Chunk Seed Project update:

Well now that I have cleared a tent open, its time to clean it and move over my deep chunks to prep for the next flowering period.

Today I cleaned out the tent extremely good. I took my sprayer and put about 1floz of bleech to about 1 gallon of water and hosed down the entire tent trying to hit ever surface and crevice other than the ceiling. I wanted to make sure that any pollen that was loose from the Xmas Bud grow got wet which would deactivate it. I then wiped down all the surfaces with a wet towel and let the tent dry. I also took the bottom "tray" out and washed it, sprayed it with lysol and let it dry as well. I'm hoping I did a good enough job where I wont get any cross pollenation or contamination from my previous project. I'm pretty sure I will be alright :)

I also purchased a drip system (cheap one off ammazon) and a pump but unfortunately didn't pay attention to the hose ID and OD and pump fittings, so after a few trips to the hardware store I think I figured it out :) I didn't set it up yet in the tent, but will over the next few days so I can have a dry run (or well a wet one) before my actual vacation. I only need it to work once, so hopefully it will do fine, but I will see over the next day or so.

I will be also taking clones of all of my other strains and as soon as I get 1 rooted clone of each other strain then the deep chunk pollen project will begin, and again I will be hitting all of my strains with deep chunk, the only difference is all the plants now will be in new soil and not recycled soil, except my trainwreck (which still is in old soil).

After moving all the deep chunks to the new tent I took some photos, and then I topped the crap out of them, so hopefully they will bush out more, it will force more root growth, and hopefully will slow down their need for water for a few weeks until my clones are all rooted.

Other than that not much else to share besides some photos. The deep chunk are very interesting as they all have completely different leave structures, with some being super fat, and some being really skinny.

Here are the deep chunks before the topping

Here are the deep chunks after topping

Here are the rest of my strains that await cloning and topping.

Well I never was actually sure it was black cherry soda... about 4 or 5 years ago I ordered clones from a vendor I found online and I I had ordered 2 purple urkles along with some cookies clones and others. I grew them all out and realized that the plant that was supposed to be purple urkle was not right, (the Black Cherry Soda). I tried calling back the clone supplier and in those days it was still everyone operating under the "prop 215" medical laws, so most of the time the suppliers wouldn't talk on the phone, let alone answer questions about things. I never was able to get a hold of them to ask what it was, so I went to their website and looked at their strain list. There was nothing on the list other than black cherry soda and grape ape that would have had a purple/grape flavor to it, everything else was either kushes or sativa dom strains. Therefore after googling black cherry soda and looking at a bunch of different photos I assumed that I had black cherry soda as it looked similar to other photos at the time I saw.... as of the last year or 2, black cherry soda really started to hit the mainstream and I have seen a ton of photos of what now people are calling black cherry soda, and it has much fatter leaves and the buds and inner leave turn maroon/purple mid flowering, my do not and mine has much thinner leaves.

I've always questioned what it is that I have, and the plant is so dank (one of my absolute favorites) that I have kept it going all these years. One of these days and hopefully once DNA testing comes down in price I will send it over to Phylos bioscience to have them match up the DNA and hopefully know for sure what I have. All I know is its something special, which is why my very 1st fem seed project was with the black cherry soda, and it actually worked very well. I have a bunch of Black Cherry Soda BX (fem) seeds that I haven't released to anyone yet, but one of these days I would like to pop a few just to see how similar they are to the one I have in plant form.

Anyhow when I was taking the notes above, I included the (might be grape ape) as years down the road if I ever forget the details of the plants, I will have the notes, and hopefully 420 Mag to refer back to. :)
I see where the confusion comes from. That is one of teh reasons taking in clones can be frustrating. People will say just about anything to get clones sold. You are happy with whatever it is that you have but it would be nice to know for sure. Annunaki Genetics has had BCS in their stable for quite a while and may be a good person to talk to and ask questions about yours to see what they think. They sell BCS cuts but only to those in their state (I think Washington and if not then Oregon). They seem to love it. The Purple Urkle is known to have skinnier leaves and it takes forever to veg. If your veg time is painfully slow with her she really may be Urkle.

Fantastic work on the PTKx project, Brother! :high-five::welldone::bravo:

Now, you're gonna need a 20'x40' climate controlled greenhouse to grow out all those seeds! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Monkey Balls turns out! :popcorn:

I see where the confusion comes from. That is one of teh reasons taking in clones can be frustrating. People will say just about anything to get clones sold. You are happy with whatever it is that you have but it would be nice to know for sure. Annunaki Genetics has had BCS in their stable for quite a while and may be a good person to talk to and ask questions about yours to see what they think. They sell BCS cuts but only to those in their state (I think Washington and if not then Oregon). They seem to love it. The Purple Urkle is known to have skinnier leaves and it takes forever to veg. If your veg time is painfully slow with her she really may be Urkle.

I had a buddy who is is close with Ms Jill (formally of TGA) take a look at some photos of my BCS. TGA used BCS quite a bit on some of their past creations. Ms Jill supposedly said they look right from the photos, but again so many strains look similar its hard to tell. One of these days I will get some money together and send the stems in to Phylos for some tests.

Yea the veg on the BCS is actually quite good. Its actually a perfect plant. It is extremely dank, loves just about any nutrient strengths, vegges quick, clones root quickly, loves to be topped, heavy yields and amazing smell. Not much I don't like about it at all, other than not having a male of it to make regular seeds :)

Winner winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!

So I decided which seeds to pop tonight and which will be part of my next seed project.

Since I didn't have a male for black cherry soda, and haven't bred anything with my GDP yet, I wanted something either purple or grape for my next run.

After much back and forth, I decided Sour Grapes is going to be the next seed run I do...

Sour Grapes from Hazeman is (according to seedfiner.(eu)):
Hazeman Seeds Sour Grapes is an homage to legendary breeder Jojorizo (Jojo) using Jojo's Sour Grapes F1 pheno #1 crossed with Hazeman's Sour Grapes male.

Jojo's Sour Grapes is a complex cross between breeder JojoRizo’s Purple Elephant and breeder Elite Seeds’ Chemdawg Sour Diesel, Grape Stomper has quite the pedigree.

Therefore with Grape Stomper/Sour Grapes having Purple Elephant in its genetics, Purple elephant stems from Purple Urkel which is one of my favorite purples. Also Grape Stomper/sour grapes is known for a wine grape smell and lots of trichomes, I think it would be a perfect paring for my GDP, black Cherry Soda and even my Mendo Grape Kush :)

Therefore the seeds will go into water tonight and I will set it on my stove (gas range) so the warmth from the pilot lights will keep the water warm, and by tomorrow when I get off work, I hopefully will have some seeds cracked and ready for fresh soil :) I figure now is a good time to pop them, as by the time I get back from vacation, they should be decently vegged, and near the same size as the clones that I took last night and are rooting.

Excited!!!!

I had a buddy who is is close with Ms Jill (formally of TGA) take a look at some photos of my BCS. TGA used BCS quite a bit on some of their past creations. Ms Jill supposedly said they look right from the photos, but again so many strains look similar its hard to tell. One of these days I will get some money together and send the stems in to Phylos for some tests.

Yea the veg on the BCS is actually quite good. Its actually a perfect plant. It is extremely dank, loves just about any nutrient strengths, vegges quick, clones root quickly, loves to be topped, heavy yields and amazing smell. Not much I don't like about it at all, other than not having a male of it to make regular seeds :)
That is cool that you have a buddy that is friends with Ms Jill. There has been all sorts of drama surrounding TGA lately and they have lost 2 breeders other than Ms Jill in the last year. They have used BCS in the past and it seems like the only way to get it for the most part. I do not know how Grape Ape vegges but as stated the Purple Urkle is sloooowwwwwww. An old member here always states that she moves at the speed of urkle. A decent amount of her crosses move slow too. Your BCS seems like a solid all around purple. It would be great to see what phylos says.

It sounds like your Grape Stomper seed project is going to be very nice. You can probably then find a very nice BCS leaning male out of your seed stock to back cross to.

Quick UPdate... popped 8 of the Grape Stomper seeds by putting them in some R/O water and putting the glass on my (range) stove. As of 24 hours after putting them in water, 6 of the 8 have cracked and are now in soil :) Just waiting on the last 2 to crack :) if they aren't cracked by the time I get home today, I will use a knife and lightly shave along the crease where the seed opens and this should help urge them along. I've done the same in the past and usually within a few hours of shaving the seed case, they pop :)

Anyhow, tried to hook up my drip system yesterday in the deep chunk tent, and the 2nd pump I bought still isn't powerful enough to push water through the long line, so I may head to the hardware store today to pick up some fittings and use the 2nd pump too. Luckilly I left myself enough time before vacation to figure it out.

Congrats on the last seed project and the upcoming one sounds great too! How about gravity for your automated watering....?

:passitleft:

I thought about that. I actually am going to use both pumps I think that I bought, since I have 2 now. I need to take a trip to the hardware store this weekend. I will cut the drip line in 1/3rds, 1/3 will be fed with the smaller pump and the other 2/3 I will use the larger pump, by splitting the input hose into 2x inputs I will connect it to both ends.. Not probably ideal but it will work :)

Hey all,

Happy weekend!!!

Just a quick update...

Deep Chunks
So in my deep chunk tent, I finally got all of my drippers to drip, by adding the 2nd pump and putting one pump on each end of the hose. I also figured out how I can somewhat adjust the nozzels to increase/decrease the volume of drip which helped even out the flow of water and spread it to all pots. I am going to do a dry run of it on tuesday evening to make sure it works ok as well as make sure I have my timer set correctly. I have it set to 7 minutes which seemed to empty about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket, so it should be good to go. I only need to wet the soil for a few days until I get back and can do a full watering, so I think this should work just fine for my needs :)

The Sour Grapes grow:
So on december 11th, which was Tuesday, I put 8 Sour Grapes seeds, from Hazeman, into a double shotglass full of R/O water and set the shotglass on my gas range stove where the pilot light is. Within the first 14 hours, 6 of the seeds popped and were placed into soil, about 3 hours later the 7th seed popped and was placed into soil as well. The 8th seed I took in my fingers and was using my knife to scrape and score the seed casing and the seed popped out of my fingers, landed on my kitchen floor and bounced somewhere into the unknown.... so I lost seed 8. Oh well.. Hopefully 7 will produce at least 1 male :)

So as of december 16th, today, 6 of the 7 pots now have nice seedlings popping out of the soil :) super excited :) I've had really good germination rates with Hazemans gear so far, and over 80% germ rate estimated on all 3 strains so far I have popped from seed from him... Awesome!

Well not much else to report on today, so how about some pics :)

Very nice journal! Congratulations on the seed harvest! I have had the same problem with the bad pollen from STS reversals. I will try it again one day. I have heard of people having success, so I don't know what we are doing wrong...

I noticed that you labled your PTK seeds BX but wouldn't the seeds you made be F1's or 2's?

Merry X-mas everyone,

Hey Everyone!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

So I am back from vacation and I have to say... I had a wonderful Christmas vacation seeing my family and spending a little time back in Chicago and then to the south east coast to spend the rest of the holidays :) Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Well, My drip system, set on a timer worked almost perfectly and I couldn't be more pleased that I came home to happy and non wilty plants (except for 2 of the deep chunks which must have not got enough drips and were wilty). I am really happy that everything worked out, and now I have a system that I can use in the future if I ever take another week long trip or longer, I know the plants will be safe which is a great feeling :)

On the Deep Chunk project, I have been waiting for all of my "keeper" strain clones to root and upon opening the clone dome which has been going for 2 weeks. All of the clones have rooted, and are now in soil, with the exception of private reserve OG which I still have in the dome :) either way, I will be starting my deep chunk project as of tonight by flipping it into 12/12 and so we will see how everything goes :) I am hoping for at least 1 male and I have at least 3 confirmed females in the batch so really got my fingers crossed that things will go as planned :)

I really like how these Deep Chunks are rather unworked, and quite a variety in leaf types, plant height, bushieness, and even terp profiles on a stem rub so really excited to see how they flower and hopefully will have plenty of seeds in about 2 months to toy with in the future :)

Well not much else to report on in regards to the deep chunks, so here are some photos :)

Attachments

• Deep_Chunk_Icemud_Hazeman_monkeyballs_seeds_cannabis (1).jpg
    Deep_Chunk_Icemud_Hazeman_monkeyballs_seeds_cannabis (1).jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Deep_Chunk_Icemud_Hazeman_monkeyballs_seeds_cannabis (2).jpg
    Deep_Chunk_Icemud_Hazeman_monkeyballs_seeds_cannabis (2).jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Deep_Chunk_Icemud_Hazeman_monkeyballs_seeds_cannabis (3).jpg
    Deep_Chunk_Icemud_Hazeman_monkeyballs_seeds_cannabis (3).jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom