InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I'll try to cover everything here - The white disc at the top has a hole in it - the sun shines thru to a target at the back to tune it in. To heat up, tune it in dead on - to cool down, go off target. There is a thermometer that goes into the hot water can.
The unit has to be tuned in every hour or so.
Love this. :green_heart:

My sight is just a tall nail with a big head perpendicular to the base and I minimize the shadow to max it out. Yours appears a bit more refined. :thumb:

And speaking of growing in basements (@Timhomegrow @CaptainLucky), I present this:

I love my sub terrainian basement!! Seriously has great perks
1. Stays cool. During veg/flower the room is 73-74 making the tent 77-78 with lights on. Tent vents in room so it's a little warmer at lights in and a nice 7-8 degree F drop at lights off.
2. Drying: another room in the basemebt is the dry room. If the tent is still going the dry room is 68f and 55rh. If the tent is off during the dry it's 64-64f and 58rh. Pretty perfect
3. I don't hear the fan noises in the rest of the house :)
4. Visitors have no clue what's I the basement :)

About the only two drawbacks:
1. can get a bit humid during the 24-36hrs after watering....nothing a dehumidifier can't fix. It's jut the perspiration from the plants making it humid.
2. It can be a bit cold for seedlings and very early veg depending on time of year as the AC/heat can change conditions slightly.

@CaptainLucky I tried the garage, with a big dehumidifier, and it was a lost cause. Granted I'm in a warm humid part for my geography. Highly suggest basement instead :)

1. Stays cool. During veg/flower the room is 73-74 making the tent 77-78 with lights on. Tent vents in room so it's a little warmer at lights in and a nice 7-8 degree F drop at lights off.
2. Drying: another room in the basemebt is the dry room. If the tent is still going the dry room is 68f and 55rh. If the tent is off during the dry it's 64-64f and 58rh. Pretty perfect
3. I don't hear the fan noises in the rest of the house :)
4. Visitors have no clue what's I the basement :)

1. can get a bit humid during the 24-36hrs after watering....nothing a dehumidifier can't fix. It's jut the perspiration from the plants making it humid.
2. It can be a bit cold for seedlings and very early veg depending on time of year as the AC/heat can change conditions slightly.

@CaptainLucky I tried the garage, with a big dehumidifier, and it was a lost cause. Granted I'm in a warm humid part for my geography. Highly suggest basement instead :)
It’s really something I’m considering but I also have a walk-in closet I’m thinking about a diy setup I read in H.T.s

It’s really something I’m considering but I also have a walk-in closet I’m thinking about a diy setup I read in H.T.s
I agree, basement is perfect for temp and RH. Easily modified. Doing my first flower down there and tested the dry room not far. Should be good for it. Can always use a space heater when the temp drops.

Dang shed. Had a lot to read up on. Sorry not been around much been busy with my grow and sponsor crap. Got to post updates all the time. And in middle of harvest time. Every two weeks from here on out till all plants are gone

Monday update all! Today I'll just stick to the Candida clones and then tomorrow get some pics of the Trainwreck and Purple Urkle.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to keep the rootbound solo cup Candidas in case I thought of another experiment to run on them (since they didn't mind daily spraying with citric acid), and Saturday I thought of one: root pruning.

@StoneOtter did it in a pretty big plant in his last grow and I've done it on mother plants in 1 or 2 gallon pots, so why not a real solo cup comparison?

Here are the subjects before:

I'd say they were pretty evenly matched set for a fair test, yes?

Here are the roots to be pruned:

Here's what came off with the box saw:

And here is the pruned rootball:

I replanted it in new FFHF packed in tight along the edges and bottom:

Then I did a hard trim on both to keep them the same since I needed to do it on the root pruned one:

They will be treated identically and watered as they need it. We'll see how they do!

In other news, for a few weeks now they both have been doing the guttation thing, all over my desk at night:

Also, since I mentioned that I was curious to see if buried stems do indeed grow new roots after transplant, here is the new Candida mother:

Looks like new roots above the original ones that grew out of the bottom of the stem in perlite, so the answer is a qualified "yes!" I'll take more pics as things change.

And finally, for those over 18 years old (or the legal age in your jurisdiction), mating butterflies:

:thanks: for cruising by for a visit!

Quotes:
Hey Shed - I just turn it off optimum or tune it in. I have a simple "sight" on it to tell me where everything is aimed. You have to adjust every hour or so, which is no problem I am usually puttering around nearby. The black can has water in it as a buffer - then a small mason jar inside the can contains the oil and weed.
This was a prototype simply lined with tin foil but I have added a couple of pieces of mirror.
I'll try to cover everything here - The white disc at the top has a hole in it - the sun shines thru to a target at the back to tune it in. To heat up, tune it in dead on - to cool down, go off target. There is a thermometer that goes into the hot water can.
The unit has to be tuned in every hour or so.
Thanks greenjeans, it sounds like you really have it dialed in! Can you use it to boil water and make spaghetti bolognese when camping?
Thanks for your help it’s appreciated.
:thumb:
Love this.
My sight is just a tall nail with a big head perpendicular to the base and I minimize the shadow to max it out. Yours appears a bit more refined.
Old school works too. :)
3. I don't hear the fan noises in the rest of the house
4. Visitors have no clue what's I the basement

@CaptainLucky I tried the garage, with a big dehumidifier, and it was a lost cause. Granted I'm in a warm humid part for my geography. Highly suggest basement instead
Great basement review Tim! Hardly anyone in SoCal has a basement (earthquakes would be my guess), but with new construction techniques I've seen some new houses are getting dug down low. Having lived in apartments my whole life until we bought this house, it's the thing I really wish I could have.
A walk-in closet in the main living area is a much easier place to control the environment, but keep in mind it will need to be vented to somewhere. A lot of folks will vent to the attic where possible, but with a good filter you could vent back into the room if smell is an issue.
I agree, basement is perfect for temp and RH. Easily modified. Doing my first flower down there and tested the dry room not far. Should be good for it. Can always use a space heater when the temp drops.
Sounds like a plan!
Dang shed. Had a lot to read up on. Sorry not been around much been busy with my grow and sponsor crap. Got to post updates all the time. And in middle of harvest time. Every two weeks from here on out till all plants are gone
Busy with plants and posts ain't too bad, and harvesting every two weeks is a lot better than every two days. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Monday update all! Today I'll just stick to the Candida clones and then tomorrow get some pics of the Trainwreck and Purple Urkle.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to keep the rootbound solo cup Candidas in case I thought of another experiment to run on them (since they didn't mind daily spraying with citric acid), and Saturday I thought of one: root pruning.

@StoneOtter did it in a pretty big plant in his last grow and I've done it on mother plants in 1 or 2 gallon pots, so why not a real solo cup comparison?

Here are the subjects before:

I'd say they were pretty evenly matched set for a fair test, yes?

Here are the roots to be pruned:

Here's what came off with the box saw:

And here is the pruned rootball:

I replanted it in new FFHF packed in tight along the edges and bottom:

Then I did a hard trim on both to keep them the same since I needed to do it on the root pruned one:

They will be treated identically and watered as they need it. We'll see how they do!

In other news, for a few weeks now they both have been doing the guttation thing, all over my desk at night:

Also, since I mentioned that I was curious to see if buried stems do indeed grow new roots after transplant, here is the new Candida mother:

Looks like new roots above the original ones that grew out of the bottom of the stem in perlite, so the answer is a qualified "yes!" I'll take more pics as things change.

And finally, for those over 18 years old (or the legal age in your jurisdiction), mating butterflies:

:thanks: for cruising by for a visit!

Quotes:

Thanks greenjeans, it sounds like you really have it dialed in! Can you use it to boil water and make spaghetti bolognese when camping?

:thumb:

Old school works too. :)

Great basement review Tim! Hardly anyone in SoCal has a basement (earthquakes would be my guess), but with new construction techniques I've seen some new houses are getting dug down low. Having lived in apartments my whole life until we bought this house, it's the thing I really wish I could have.

A walk-in closet in the main living area is a much easier place to control the environment, but keep in mind it will need to be vented to somewhere. A lot of folks will vent to the attic where possible, but with a good filter you could vent back into the room if smell is an issue.

Sounds like a plan!

Busy with plants and posts ain't too bad, and harvesting every two weeks is a lot better than every two days. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Wha you used a saw that’s so cool! How did you manage to do a harvest every two days that would have been so stressful lol

Can you use it to boil water
I'm not sure if this one would boil water - but if I build one slightly bigger and with a few more angles so that the reflected light is more focused I know it would be possible. I've not tried to see how far I can push this one - sounds like a fun experiment next sunny day when I'm not cookin' cococanna!! :goof:

I'm not sure if this one would boil water - but if I build one slightly bigger and with a few more angles so that the reflected light is more focused I know it would be possible. I've not tried to see how far I can push this one - sounds like a fun experiment next sunny day when I'm not cookin' cococanna!!
Here's to sunny experiments ahead!
Still quite crazy lol but buds or medicine for daaaaays haha
Still have some in jars! I'm thinking of taking everything left from 2019 and making dry ice hash. :)

Very interesting about the root pruning, Shed- you take a big ol' bite with that saw- seems like it'd kill them, but I've seen you do it before with great results!
mating butterflies:
How sweet...:love:... they're working on the next generation of caterpillars...:oops:

Hey Shed melon patch kicking butt Saturday a week ago we got 3/4” rain . Field was dying then Monday I had to take mama for more surgery and that night we got another 2-3/4” rain . When mama and I got back Wednesday night I guess the rain that hit Dallas we actually got some . Grandkids had to go back to school so nothing got done with the flooded fields. Well it busted out growing again so I had to hire help and been so busy I’m beat ! They don’t taste as good as the July melons weak taste but there still buying them .
I had just sat down when a realtor I was bsing with sent me this house for sale .
View 21 photos of this 3 bed, 1 bath, 1631 sqft. single family home located at 420 Magazine St, Pulaski, VA 24301 on sale now for $95900. Isn’t that cool .
Girls are looking great a little yellow on the one ,but that’s never hurt anything and there straight out feeding off the sun .

Hey Shed melon patch kicking butt Saturday a week ago we got 3/4” rain . Field was dying then Monday I had to take mama for more surgery and that night we got another 2-3/4” rain . When mama and I got back Wednesday night I guess the rain that hit Dallas we actually got some . Grandkids had to go back to school so nothing got done with the flooded fields. Well it busted out growing again so I had to hire help and been so busy I’m beat ! They don’t taste as good as the July melons weak taste but there still buying them .
I had just sat down when a realtor I was bsing with sent me this house for sale .
View 21 photos of this 3 bed, 1 bath, 1631 sqft. single family home located at 420 Magazine St, Pulaski, VA 24301 on sale now for $95900. Isn’t that cool .
Girls are looking great a little yellow on the one ,but that’s never hurt anything and there straight out feeding off the sun .
Sounds like a dream my man as much as I couldn’t see the link

Sounds like a dream my man as much as I couldn’t see the link
Oh no I’d rather punch a clock then keep this up . Realtor didn’t give me the link just printed in a text . I bet it can be Google mapped. I had shown 420 Magazine to the realtor and she found the address.

Aw I'm sorry my friend that's shitty sounded like a dream come true!
Wouldn’t this sound better put a road down the middle and call it 420 Magazine Drive and the branch roads 420 Sponsors Drive , 420 Journal Drive and etc . Now that’s a dream then the work would all be over sell lot by lot .
Truth is I’d rather be here growing with everyone!

root pruning.
Hey. Nice job.
I liked the overgrown clones in the solos. Very cute.
My cannabis has done that a few times but it's mostly between close laying leaves. Micro climate thingy.
Never to the point of making a puddle tho....
Your plants are clearly incontinent.

Just like tomatoes. Bury them deep for an extensive root system.
mating butterflies:
Disgusting!
How sweet...:love:... they're working on the next generation of caterpillars...:oops:
Burn them with 🔥

I can't even go to Boo's place (sorry, Boo!).
I saw you talking about them and ran away.

Back
Top Bottom