InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Thanks con! I'd say it's a good 40-45 years before I can harvest those kind of numbers from an auto. :)
i think you're the type that would take on a challnge like that & have it down packed in a few grows, me i'm still trying

I've just doused them in neem oil which I'll continue to use in veg. In flower it's 0.25% citric acid as I found the 1% was too harsh for the plants.
Thank you!
Also I am sorry I neglected to mention the autos. They are littler than you're used to but they can't be that small either. They are filling their pots. I hope those buds are frosty delicacies when they are cured.

Here's a Saturday update since I have news on the aspirin spray for PM: it doesn't work, at least not at the 64mg/L of distilled water I used.

Here are the Candida clones this morning, less than a week after I sprayed them top and bottom:

So scratch that as an answer!

While I'm here I figured I'd get some tent pics of the three autoflowers, starting with the traditional SaugaView®:

And the front view:

I flushed the older two yesterday (Queen G and Ruby Tuesday, far left and right) and fed them after they were done draining. We'll see if it makes any difference, and in the meantime here are a few closeups.

Queen G auto:

For @marcus611a, who thought the colas were big on this plant, here's a lighter for reference (not a floating one, I'm not as magical as @Skunksta!):

The Queen G auto 2:

And the Ruby Tuesday auto:

Lighter for reference:

Colas may appear larger than they actually are. :)

That's it from me today. I hope y'all are having a great weekend, and as the Captain likes to mention around this time in January:

:ciao:
Sorry, I’m behind on everyone’s journals. What do you think the prognosis is for the Candida sisters?
All of the plants in my current grow are bushy & I’m constantly defoliating. I think I have a handle on the humidity now (meaning Mother Nature is showing some mercy). The outdoor RH has been pretty consistent for the last several days so I’m not having to juggle my humidifier, my dehumidifier & my exhaust fan…

Here's a Saturday update since I have news on the aspirin spray for PM: it doesn't work, at least not at the 64mg/L of distilled water I used.

Here are the Candida clones this morning, less than a week after I sprayed them top and bottom:

So scratch that as an answer!

While I'm here I figured I'd get some tent pics of the three autoflowers, starting with the traditional SaugaView®:

And the front view:

I flushed the older two yesterday (Queen G and Ruby Tuesday, far left and right) and fed them after they were done draining. We'll see if it makes any difference, and in the meantime here are a few closeups.

Queen G auto:

For @marcus611a, who thought the colas were big on this plant, here's a lighter for reference (not a floating one, I'm not as magical as @Skunksta!):

The Queen G auto 2:

And the Ruby Tuesday auto:

Lighter for reference:

Colas may appear larger than they actually are. :)

That's it from me today. I hope y'all are having a great weekend, and as the Captain likes to mention around this time in January:

:ciao:
You almost had me Shedster, I have been following your auto grow with much interest. Thanks for showing that comparison cause now more than ever I’m convinced that autos are NOT for me! CL🍀. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thanks:

i think you're the type that would take on a challnge like that & have it down packed in a few grows, me i'm still trying
Some challenges I'm up for, but if they involve autos I'm taking a pass. As much as these are doing better than most of my earlier autos, I can't see working at getting better at them. I'm sticking with photos for my main grows.
Thank you!
Also I am sorry I neglected to mention the autos. They are littler than you're used to but they can't be that small either. They are filling their pots. I hope those buds are frosty delicacies when they are cured.
Thanks Carmen, they seem tiny to me! But I'm sure they'll be worth it when they're dried and cured. :thumb:
Sorry, I’m behind on everyone’s journals. What do you think the prognosis is for the Candida sisters?
All of the plants in my current grow are bushy & I’m constantly defoliating. I think I have a handle on the humidity now (meaning Mother Nature is showing some mercy). The outdoor RH has been pretty consistent for the last several days so I’m not having to juggle my humidifier, my dehumidifier & my exhaust fan…
No worries Rob! The Candida clones will be fine as long as I keep hitting them with neem in veg. I have a lot of outdoor plants that seem to be PM sources so it's not really a surprise that it makes its way in.

Here's what PM likes, so best you can do is not provide this:
Conditions Favoring Powdery Mildew:

• High relative humidity at night
  • Low relative humidity during the day
  • 70–80°F (22–27°C) temperatures
From here:

You almost had me Shedster, I have been following your auto grow with much interest. Thanks for showing that comparison cause now more than ever I’m convinced that autos are NOT for me! CL🍀.
Glad to help Captain! ;)

Some challenges I'm up for, but if they involve autos I'm taking a pass. As much as these are doing better than most of my earlier autos, I can't see working at getting better at them. I'm sticking with photos for my main grows.

Thanks Carmen, they seem tiny to me! But I'm sure they'll be worth it when they're dried and cured. :thumb:

No worries Rob! The Candida clones will be fine as long as I keep hitting them with neem in veg. I have a lot of outdoor plants that seem to be PM sources so it's not really a surprise that it makes its way in.

Here's what PM likes, so best you can do is not provide this:
Conditions Favoring Powdery Mildew:

• High relative humidity at night
  • Low relative humidity during the day
  • 70–80°F (22–27°C) temperatures
From here:

Glad to help Captain! ;)
Your theory about growing outdoors makes a lot of sense. But now that you grew indoors without any issues why do you think that they were Pygmy’s? CL🍀

Your theory about growing outdoors makes a lot of sense.
Thanks! Which theory was that?
But now that you grew indoors without any issues why do you think that they were Pygmy’s? CL🍀
I don't think these are pygmies (certainly not compared to most of my past autos), but I guess I won't know until I get harvest weights.

But they're smaller than my photos because I can't veg these as long as I want. Also, the sun makes for bigger plants.

Thanks! Which theory was that?

I don't think these are pygmies (certainly not compared to most of my past autos), but I guess I won't know until I get harvest weights.

But they're smaller than my photos because I can't veg these as long as I want. Also, the sun makes for bigger plants.
I appreciate you growing a couple of my ladies out, I know autos aren’t everyone’s favorite. Maybe you can put a Wizard outside this summer, they do get a bit more size.
Your Queen G’s are very similar in size to mine from the last 2 grows so that looks like it’s just her normal thing. She was bred for flavor and a particular high and I nailed it with those, she just lacks in size a bit for auto reasons. I don’t really breed for size and my average pull from an auto is probably 5 oz. (10 was the biggest) and the fast turnover still makes it worth my time. I pump out quite a bit of weight for only using about 800 watts total with all my tents/lights combined.
Autos make sense for me- power outages here and short summers makes them ideal. For everyone else in the world they probably seem like more trouble than they are worth. To each their own I suppose!
Thanks for making them look great, looking forward to your smoke report which is what really matters to me.

I appreciate you growing a couple of my ladies out, I know autos aren’t everyone’s favorite.
I appreciate the opportunity Justin!
Maybe you can put a Wizard outside this summer, they do get a bit more size.
If I can leave it out in 90%+ humidity at night I just might do that. :hmmmm:
Your Queen G’s are very similar in size to mine from the last 2 grows so that looks like it’s just her normal thing. She was bred for flavor and a particular high and I nailed it with those, she just lacks in size a bit for auto reasons. I don’t really breed for size and my average pull from an auto is probably 5 oz. (10 was the biggest) and the fast turnover still makes it worth my time. I pump out quite a bit of weight for only using about 800 watts total with all my tents/lights combined.
I wasn't expecting these to look like @Jon's when they were done so no worries on the size. :) I'm happy just to be growing something this winter and the timing of the autos should be perfect!
Autos make sense for me- power outages here and short summers makes them ideal. For everyone else in the world they probably seem like more trouble than they are worth. To each their own I suppose!
Lots of folks grow autos for all sorts of reasons, including yours. I happen to like more control over the growth and size than they can provide so photos just fit better for me.
Thanks for making them look great,
Great? Will you take "getting them to harvest"?
looking forward to your smoke report which is what really matters to me.
I'm afraid I might fail you there then, unless I can get some to our friend who does a better job than anyone at my house. I'm still trying to get her some of @ChefDGreen's Grandpa's Moonshine from last fall!

Nice trio of autos doing what autos do! :Rasta:

I know. I feel the size every time I grow one by comparison to my outdoor photos, but needs must sometimes. It's especially frustrating when looking at some of the bigger autos on the site. I get JG's explanation below though. Bred for flavour and high.
I appreciate you growing a couple of my ladies out, I know autos aren’t everyone’s favorite. Maybe you can put a Wizard outside this summer, they do get a bit more size.
Very similar reasons to why I choose to grow autos. I'm still trying to grapple with lighting and so far I leave lights on 24 hours a day because we have daily power outages of anywhere between 2 to 4.5 hours at a time, and up to 12 to 14 hours a day sometimes. My plants get what light they can but I worry I might be overdoing it on the days of less Loadshedding.

I know. I feel the size every time I grow one by comparison to my outdoor photos, but needs must sometimes. It's especially frustrating when looking at some of the bigger autos on the site. I get JG's explanation below though. Bred for flavour and high.

Very similar reasons to why I choose to grow autos. I'm still trying to grapple with lighting and so far I leave lights on 24 hours a day because we have daily power outages of anywhere between 2 to 4.5 hours at a time, and up to 12 to 14 hours a day sometimes. My plants get what light they can but I worry I might be overdoing it on the days of less Loadshedding.
Power outages can be frustrating- we just had one tonight (3 hours) and they are never convenient. @Carcass got me some LEDs that come on when the power goes out and today was the first time I used them all! Luckily the photo tent was already off.
Autos are pretty good with whatever light they can get. If you give them a full 24, they’ll take what they need and leave the rest. The only possible downside to a super erratic light schedule is you can’t always avoid herms. Just keep an eye out. I’ve done many things to shock and stress autos but that seems to be the one that brings out the seeds leaning herm.
I’ve learned to appreciate my little ones too (like the 1-2 oz girl I’m growing now) cause they seem to get the most frost, like they are trying harder than everyone else 😆

LEDs that come on when the power goes out and today was the first time I used them all! Luckily the photo tent was already off.
I've got some rechargeable LED light bulbs that come on when the power goes off. They are good for ambient light. Are you using something similar or something with a bit more oomph to light plants? I see you say the photo tent was already off at the time of the power outage. So fortunate.
I've been lucky with my autos I think. I have only seen one nanner on one plant out of the eleven I have grown on that tabletop. Temps and RH fluctuate like crazy, lights go on and off at random (the plants don't like it and they put out a very strong odor when the lights go off), I've had soil issues, over watering issues, breakages, topping and training, yet the autos soldier on and usually do pretty well. I'm getting better at it now.
I even grew two photos on that table top with a ShedTent (bin bags curtaining the plants at lights out), and no hermies there either, but that's just an aside.

Power outages can be frustrating- we just had one tonight (3 hours) and they are never convenient. @Carcass got me some LEDs that come on when the power goes out and today was the first time I used them all! Luckily the photo tent was already off.
Do you have to reset your timer after a power outage to get them back on your regular schedule? Mine is a mechanical timer rather than electronic so I'm wondering if those might work differently. :hmmmm:

Do you have to reset your timer after a power outage to get them back on your regular schedule? Mine is a mechanical timer rather than electronic so I'm wondering if those might work differently. :hmmmm:
I have mechanical as well so I just got up this morning and clicked everything back to correct time. Years ago I had an electronic timer and it was one of my most frustrating pieces of equipment 😂
I've got some rechargeable LED light bulbs that come on when the power goes off. They are good for ambient light. Are you using something similar or something with a bit more oomph to light plants?
No these were just the ambient rechargeable led light bulbs. They did what they were supposed to and stayed lit… good for about 3 hours. They would be ok for seedlings but I just needed them for the house.

Autos are pretty good with whatever light they can get. If you give them a full 24, they’ll take what they need and leave the rest. The only possible downside to a super erratic light schedule is you can’t always avoid herms. Just keep an eye out. I’ve done many things to shock and stress autos but that seems to be the one that brings out the seeds leaning herm.
I’ve learned to appreciate my little ones too (like the 1-2 oz girl I’m growing now) cause they seem to get the most frost, like they are trying harder than everyone else 😆

IMG_0896.jpeg

i keep meaning to see if I can rig up one of these. They’re a legal requirement in any public building in SE Asia mostly. Power goes out the battery that charges off the mains powers the two LEDs. The problem is getting it not to switch on if its lights out time. I guess yet another timer? One for sparky.

Do you have to reset your timer after a power outage to get them back on your regular schedule?
The ones that you wire in direct to the mains rather than plug in the socket generally have internal batteries I think. We’ve had plenty power cuts and they run the same.

In response to @Justin Goody's post Tuesday:

I replied:

I found the video (apologies for the Youtube sign-in requirement):

and at the 3:08 mark he describes how light affects the leaves if there is a potassium deficiency. I don't think I have one but he does recommend flushing the salts from the medium to enable better K uptake. It's probably too late for that on the Ruby Tuesday, but if it's warm this weekend I'll give it a go on it anyway as well as the Queen G.

Thanks to @MrSauga for bringing that video to my attention originally. :ciao:
Wow, hard to sleep when I'm being tagged all the time. :rolleyes:
Kidding of course. Glad I was able to help by not being here. Carry on.

My eye did catch this one issue about people complaining/noticing while smoking a joint/spliff/blunt etc. that bud will have it own little party with "fireworks".
'm still interested to know what make buds sparkle like a firework then?
Don't know has anyone answer to this, but the reason why buds "sparkle" is because they still have iron inside them. Maybe proper cure will solve this problem, or flush... but mainly if you reduce feeding iron at the end of the cycle, "firework" smoke will stop.

Sorry if somebody already answered to this ! Just a friendly reminder that if you want to have a good quality smoke, reduce or stop feeding metals to the plant and cure them buds properly. This iron stuff had a big problem here where I live back in the days. Everyone was thinking that people are spraying some chemicals on bud to make it more dense and heavier. But truth is that iron causes the sparkle. Anyway the topic is quite old here and I'm new so please be gentle:) And if this topic had already solved, let me shine for a moment, you fellow Slow Heads!

:peacetwo: -ROADKiLL POTHEAD-

Back
Top Bottom