The transplant is done.
There is no obvious disease on Dolores' roots, but some are a little discoloured and they're less vigorous than I would have expected given how fast they made it to the bottom of the pots. They weren't slimy, and didn't smell like root rot. They did smell like some strange kind of fruit. I'm still not sure what's going on there, but hopefully it won't spread any more. It moved over a set of leaves in less than 24 hours, so we should be able to tell fairly soon.
The upside is Delilah was just about ready for the transplant judging by her roots.
Sorry about the quality of the pics. I was kind of rushed.

Dolores

Delilah

Anyway, have a great night everyone.

ya they don’t look horrible,, can’t really tell in the picture but are those small holes in the dirt??? Bugs maybe??👾🐛🦟 That last one is a fungus nat
I didn't see any bugs, but I wasn't really looking for them.
This is the first indoor grow that has had fungus gnats, but just a few.
I'm thinking of putting some horticultural sand on the surface of the pots, but I'll have to go get some.

you could run an h202 flush to help kill the gnats. don't pour through, put it in a larger container and do a flood and drain. let it sit in the h202 bath for 1/2 hour or so. 2ml/L at 30%.

Day 20
I gave them some BTI to kill the fungus gnat larvae. You can see a bit of the residue at the base of Dolores' stem.
The first pic is from lights on again. You can see a few minutes later Delilah is perking up again.
On the plus side Dolores has started to drink a little again.

Do si dos #33 - Delilah
@Barney's Farm @Herbies Seeds

Do si dos - Dolores
@Weed Seeds Express

Check at your local farm/garden centre and see if you can get some beneficial nematodes ,,They’ll kill any larvae,, I know its just one plant and your putting in the work to save it, But they are a good thing to have in your tool box ,, yeah nematodes :cheer::cheer::cheer:
Just an after thought,,you use synthetics and that would probably Just kill the nematodes,, I’ll have to do more reading on this,, I’m all about organic myself
Thanks for the suggestion. We use the nematodes on our lawn to kill the Japanese garden beetles, but I don't think they sell them this time of year.
I used Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis. It should work regardless of nutes.
you could run an h202 flush to help kill the gnats. don't pour through, put it in a larger container and do a flood and drain. let it sit in the h202 bath for 1/2 hour or so. 2ml/L at 30%.
I'll try that if the BTI doesn't work. Thanks.

Have a great night everyone.

In case you haven't used BTI before, here is @Carcass' method using mosquito dunks:

"I just throw 1/4 of a dunk in the 5 gallon bucket every 3 weeks or so to keep the gnats away...
If I have an active gnat infestation, I'll use half a dunk in the bucket for a little more killing power, then
I go back to 1/4 of a dunk to keep the growspace gnat-free...
A quarter of a dunk is equal to 1 tbsp. of the bits, if you decide to do it this way.

The reason I do it this way is that it takes 24 hours for the bacteria from the dunks to populate the water, and I don't want to have to fill a gallon jug 24 hours in advance of when I water the plant, so I just treat 5 gallons at a time, and the water is always ready to use."

My two cents that no one asked for lol.

I deep cleaned my area and sprayed it with insect spray, and also really allowed my pots to super dry out. I was lucky this coincided with hot, low humidity kind of days, then I Safered them, and they have disappeared…. For now lol.

I don’t think they do much except annoy. They are like a mossie that can’t bite.

It's not the flyers that are the problem, rather it's their larvae in the soil:

"Adult fungus gnats don’t damage plants or bite people; their presence is primarily considered a nuisance. Larvae, however, when present in large numbers, can damage roots and stunt plant growth, particularly in seedlings and young plants. Significant root damage and even plant death have been observed in interior plantscapes and in houseplants..."
Source

Neem Oil brother! Ugh I hate gnats had them my first couple of grows until I got that stuff I use. Worked like a charm. I literally hate gnats. I loathe them. Haven't seen any. Didn't have any all summer and I was inundated at a couple points last year before using it

16682008728527709130510024716674.jpg

I
Day 21
I'm sick.
They're alive.

Do si dos #33 - Delilah
@Herbies Seeds @Barney's Farm

Do si dos - Dolores
@Weed Seeds Express

In case you haven't used BTI before, here is @Carcass' method using mosquito dunks:

"I just throw 1/4 of a dunk in the 5 gallon bucket every 3 weeks or so to keep the gnats away...
If I have an active gnat infestation, I'll use half a dunk in the bucket for a little more killing power, then
I go back to 1/4 of a dunk to keep the growspace gnat-free...
A quarter of a dunk is equal to 1 tbsp. of the bits, if you decide to do it this way.

The reason I do it this way is that it takes 24 hours for the bacteria from the dunks to populate the water, and I don't want to have to fill a gallon jug 24 hours in advance of when I water the plant, so I just treat 5 gallons at a time, and the water is always ready to use."
I'm using a granular product that you top dress and then water in.
I'll remember this if I get mosquito dunks though.
My two cents that no one asked for lol.

I deep cleaned my area and sprayed it with insect spray, and also really allowed my pots to super dry out. I was lucky this coincided with hot, low humidity kind of days, then I Safered them, and they have disappeared…. For now lol.

I don’t think they do much except annoy. They are like a mossie that can’t bite.
Comments are always welcome Tra.
Yeah, they're pretty annoying. It's really just the larvae I worry about, because...
It's not the flyers that are the problem, rather it's their larvae in the soil:

"Adult fungus gnats don’t damage plants or bite people; their presence is primarily considered a nuisance. Larvae, however, when present in large numbers, can damage roots and stunt plant growth, particularly in seedlings and young plants. Significant root damage and even plant death have been observed in interior plantscapes and in houseplants..."
Source
...of this.
Hey Trala- We Don’t need to ask,, Your 2 cents is always welcome,, sometimes information is priceless $$$
Absolutely agree.
Neem Oil brother! Ugh I hate gnats had them my first couple of grows until I got that stuff I use. Worked like a charm. I literally hate gnats. I loathe them. Haven't seen any. Didn't have any all summer and I was inundated at a couple points last year before using it

16682008728527709130510024716674.jpg
Funnily enough this is the first indoor grow that they've appeared in. I think they came in with the strawberry plant.
I'll consider a neem drench if the BTI doesn't work. I don't have a heavy infestation yet, so I think it'll do the trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Have a great night everyone!

Day 22
Delilah was complaining about the light being too strong, so I moved her down off the wood. She also seems to need a bit more calmag in her feeds.
Dolores' newest growth seems a bit better, but her existing leaves are still turning grey. The grey is spreading more slowly now though, so I think the BTI is working.
I also don't see any more adult gnats, so maybe that problem is on it's way out the door.

Do si dos #33 - Delilah
@Barney's Farm @Herbies Seeds

Do si dos - Dolores
@Weed Seeds Express

I have two seeds in peat pucks now. If I manage to get Delilah and Dolores turned around I'll flip them all at the same time, keeping the two new ones in one gallon fabric pots. If I get Delilah turned around, then I might do some strategic pruning to slow her down a bit so they can catch up.
If I don't manage to get either Delilah or Dolores back to a healthy state we'll move forward with those two seeds. One of them is another Do si dos from WSE as I definitely want to grow that strain this winter.

Feel better soon. :)
Thanks Shed!
Oh no!

It’s not the dreaded man flu is it?
Nope. I just found out it's probably covid.
The people who I could have caught it from both tested positive today.
By the way, there's research that shows that higher estrogen not only makes it less likely that women will catch colds or the flu, but that it lessens the severity of the symptoms. The man flu is real!
Fell better Mel!!
Thanks Krissi!

If you have any CBD flowers, make oil out of them without decarbing and take capsules of those. I hope this is as bad as it gets for you.
It's not that bad, I had a fever and a headache yesterday, along with a sore throat and a slight cough. Now it's just the throat and cough.
I've been vaccinated, but I was a bit lazy getting a booster.
Dear Lord, God Speed my metric using friend
Thanks Krissi, it's not severe. I'm sure I'll be fine in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom