Mel's ViparSpectra XS 2000 Sponsored Grow - Blueberry & Northern Lights

This will be the last you see of Zkittlez. She lost 3/4 of one of the last 2 mains, and another side bud.
It's chop now or loose it all. I'll also have to keep an eye on the buds as they dry to make sure they aren't also contaminated and just not showing it yet.
I also need to think about the Blueberry. She doesn't have any yet, but keeping the Zkittlez next to her any longer is just asking for trouble.
It also means I can move the pepper seedlings in there for now. They need some protection.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

Zkittlez
@Herbies Seeds

I’m glad that your blueberry is doing good and I was wondering 🤔can’t you use peroxide on your skittles to help keep it from spreading? CL🍀
Maybe, but it's chancy. I would have to really spray it to get it between the buds, and it might not get in there. The H2O2 also oxidizes into pure water which would likely make things worse. Forcing the moisture deeper into the buds, and raising humidity at the same time.
Those buds are still looking fantastic, no matter the issues along the way. Stacking up thick like IHOP pancakes.
You're a bold man Mel, i admire your steadfast stance. I chop Everything down at the first sign of mold or rot. Without spraying copious amounts of fungicide and chemicals, I've found it to be an insatiable and unstoppable monster. It ate almost 9 ounces of my outdoor bud in a few days last summer. I think @Bill284 got hit hard in his greenhouse too.
You would be right. Sometimes I wait, but with botrytis I chop the plant as soon as it's clear that it isn't just the occasional spot. This is my first experience with this white fuzzy stuff, and my first time getting mould indoors. She's getting the chop at lights out.
Terrible stuff, take it seriously.
Hope your having a nice weekend.
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎
She's getting chopped in the morning.
Sorry to hear about the mould, Mel. Was it humidity or lack of airflow that caused it?
Humidity. I'm not really used to having humidity as high as it's been this winter. I'm surprised it's getting over 40%.
Keeping it down required the fan to be on over lights out, but that drove temps way down.
I'll be evaluating what changes need to be made to keep growing in this tent. A fan with a hygrometer will be a priority.

And then there was one.
She's down and drying. I didn't use the bowl trimmer because I wanted to inspect the buds, and I found a little more mould. Just a couple of smaller buds that would have dried to about a gram each.
Her roots hadn't spread out as much in the 7 gallon pot as I would expect. There was a lot of untouched soil in there.
I'm not letting it anywhere near the composter.
We'll see how the Blueberry looks at harvest. I'll also be able to see how the humidity is in the tent this evening.
Just a few more weeks until I start the outdoor journal for this year.

Zkittlez
@Herbies Seeds

Maybe there's a connection between the dying leaves and the mold getting a foothold. Something that's different this time from previous indoor grows. :hmmmm:
Maybe. I'm thinking it also has something to do with her general health. She couldn't fight off the mould due to being weaker overall. Whatever the case, she still smells good.

That’s the thing about disease. If you compare it to human form, it’s seldom the disease that kills you. It’s an add on infection coz your immune system is so broken.

A nursery dude told me best defence against plant based disease and insects is plant health.

She just didn’t have the extra fight.

Well done on giving her your best el Beardo. I admire how hard you tried to save her through out her troubled grow. Xo

I haven't put the peppers in there yet. I might not. It's not really that long before they can go outdoors, and I'll be starting the outdoor plants in there in their final 5 gallon pots, so there will be a bit of a space issue.
It's weird seeing Blueberry in there alone, but do like it. She got fed tonight, and I'm starting to remove damaged leaves, as no new damage has shown up so far.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra
That pic will bug @InTheShed won't it?
Here you go!

Blueberry

That’s the thing about disease. If you compare it to human form, it’s seldom the disease that kills you. It’s an add on infection coz your immune system is so broken.

A nursery dude told me best defence against plant based disease and insects is plant health.

She just didn’t have the extra fight.

Well done on giving her your best el Beardo. I admire how hard you tried to save her through out her troubled grow. Xo
Thanks Tra.
I just wish I had managed to get her all the way to harvest.
Can't win them all, but you won't win any if you don't try.

Maybe. I'm thinking it also has something to do with her general health. She couldn't fight off the mould due to being weaker overall. Whatever the case, she still smells good.
I don't know where I saw this recently, that plants have a self-destruct gene that activates if they feel that their existence is a threat to the survival of the species. Once it is activated, the plant sends out signals to pathogens to attack and destroy it. A weaker or diseased plant might actively attract mould rather than being passively subjected to the pathogen. It does look as if your soil was contaminated prior to use.

I kept the fan on its lowest setting over lights out, but the temps only went down to 18⁰C, with the humidity down to the 60s. That's good enough for me, especially the day after watering. Warmer weather here is helping.
Still haven't cleaned up those crispy and damaged leaves yet. I'll get on that tomorrow.
I'm liking the bud development on Blueberry. They look like they'll swell nicely.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

I don't know where I saw this recently, that plants have a self-destruct gene that activates if they feel that their existence is a threat to the survival of the species. Once it is activated, the plant sends out signals to pathogens to attack and destroy it. A weaker or diseased plant might actively attract mould rather than being passively subjected to the pathogen. It does look as if your soil was contaminated prior to use.
Hmm. I've never heard of that.
I'll look into it.

I am so sorry you are having these issues and appreciate that you tried to save it in any way you could. Thankfully, Blueberry was unaffected and presented in very good condition. Keep pushing!:hug:

I think she's looking a little bit better without some of those damaged leaves.
When I took her out of the tent and really went through her foliage I realized I should have taken out a bunch of the undergrowth.
There are a bunch of tiny branches in there that never made it up to the canopy, including one that had a few dead leaves on it. Those dead leaves were being eaten by mould, but it hasn't gained a foothold on the living parts. It's been cleared out now, without any loss of buds or branches, but I'll be checking that area daily from here on out.
I would have cleared some of those tiny branches tonight, but I think the time to do so has passed. She looks like she'll go another 3 weeks or so, some of her buds have entirely brown stigmas which are starting to recede, and they're nicely frosty. We're just waiting for the stigmas on the main tops to turn, and for them to hit the final swell.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

I am so sorry you are having these issues and appreciate that you tried to save it in any way you could. Thankfully, Blueberry was unaffected and presented in very good condition. Keep pushing!:hug:
Thanks Val!
I'll keep going right to the end!

That doesn’t sound true to me at all.

I kept the fan on its lowest setting over lights out, but the temps only went down to 18⁰C, with the humidity down to the 60s. That's good enough for me, especially the day after watering. Warmer weather here is helping.
Still haven't cleaned up those crispy and damaged leaves yet. I'll get on that tomorrow.
I'm liking the bud development on Blueberry. They look like they'll swell nicely.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

And then there was one ☝️
I'll look into it.
It doesn’t sound at all right to me, so I’ll be interested in your findings.

Well done to spot and chop the Zkittlez while there was still clean bud to be saved! Folks don't understand why we spend as much time "staring" at our plants, but we'd miss all sorts of stuff we need to deal with if we didn't. 👀

I hope it stays clean through the dry and the Blueberry is good to go after the clean-out. Way to hang in there Mel!
That pic will bug @InTheShed won't it?
Here you go!
:laugh: I thought you were avoiding the hotspot in the middle!

She's pretty much the same as yesterday.
A few more brown stigmas, a little more frost.
I'm glad the storms today didn't knock out the power.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

That doesn’t sound true to me at all.
And then there was one ☝️

It doesn’t sound at all right to me, so I’ll be interested in your findings.
I'll report back here if I find anything.
Well done to spot and chop the Zkittlez while there was still clean bud to be saved! Folks don't understand why we spend as much time "staring" at our plants, but we'd miss all sorts of stuff we need to deal with if we didn't. 👀

I hope it stays clean through the dry and the Blueberry is good to go after the clean-out. Way to hang in there Mel!
Thanks Shed!
I got a bit more than I thought I would. There are two levels in that box, and so far no trace of mould. I'm going over them daily with the loupe, and so far they're clean and smell like grapefruit flavoured Jolly Ranchers.
I thought you were avoiding the hotspot in the middle!
I was! Not anymore though.
I feel like she's healthy enough to take it, and I'd like to get some light to the leaves just below the canopy. They're pretty much all still green.
I'm also trying to get her to finish as soon as she can.
I did raise the light a bit though.

Sorry this is late, had a busy day.
I have a bit of good news: Blueberry is getting purple bracts.
Just a hint so far, and the bracts haven't started to swell yet, but there's enough there to be sure.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

Have a great night everyone!

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

I'll look into it.
I always crush 500mgs. of aspirin in my water/ nutes. I was reading about that it helps fight diseases. Something in aspirin is like a substance in plants that it releases to protect itself. CL🍀

Sorry this is late, had a busy day.
I have a bit of good news: Blueberry is getting purple bracts.
Just a hint so far, and the bracts haven't started to swell yet, but there's enough there to be sure.

ViparSpectra XS2000
@ViparSpectra

Blueberry

Have a great night everyone!
That looks awesome! Great!:D

She looks so lonely!

Have you got a gnome or a Teddy you can put in there?
I have a GIR...
grapefruit jollyranchers :cheesygrinsmiley::yummy:
I'm definitely doing a redemption grow of this one.
I always crush 500mgs. of aspirin in my water/ nutes. I was reading about that it helps fight diseases. Something in aspirin is like a substance in plants that it releases to protect itself. CL🍀
You have to be careful with that, the salicylic acid can boost plant health, but it can also cause hermies at high doses.
That looks awesome! Great!:D
Thanks Val!

Back
Top Bottom