Mexicokate Gifted Seeds Soil 1st Grow!

Mexicokate

420 Member
First attempt ever at growing!!

Have indulged in copious amounts of cannabis over the years, and have been very ignorant to the art form of the grow.

Now, as finances are getting tight, I have been researching and talking to as many people as I can to ensure a successful yield from my first grow.

Was given 2 seeds by a friend that she had gotten from a seed bank, off my tits at the time so have no idea what strain... have popped those bad boys and planted in soil... and to my delight so far 1 has sprouted from the soil!!

I am based in Southland in NZ, pretty much the end of the world, so far we havent had a summer so opting for an indoor grow, just small set up in a closet/tent (80x80x200).

Set up is due to arrive in 3 weeks as well as some other seeds from Canada...

Interested to know any tricks, what type of light cycle to use, and what to look out for.

First :welcome: to the forum!

At this stage 18 hrs of light per day is used most often. It's usually written as 18/6 referring to the 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness per day. After six to twelve weeks this should be cut to 12/12 to induce flowering if they are photoperiod seeds. If they are autoflowering seeds, flowering will have started, and you leave them under 18/6.

You'll find lots of good information for soil growing in Emilya's just completed award-winning journal. A lot of new growers kill their first plants by over watering, so her paper, 'The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant' is considered a must read for soil growers. I'll let @Emilya know know you arrived, so she can stop by and hay hi.

First :welcome: to the forum!

At this stage 18 hrs of light per day is used most often. It's usually written as 18/6 referring to the 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness per day. After six to twelve weeks this should be cut to 12/12 to induce flowering if they are photoperiod seeds. If they are autoflowering seeds, flowering will have started, and you leave them under 18/6.

You'll find lots of good information for soil growing in Emilya's just completed award-winning journal. A lot of new growers kill their first plants by over watering, so her paper, 'The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant' is considered a must read for soil growers. I'll let @Emilya know know you arrived, so she can stop by and hay hi.
Thanks @Old Salt!!

Will be reading that article to kill time at work tomorrow :)

Hi @Mexicokate ! Welcome to the group!
Hope you get some good hints from my article! If you would like some company on your new grow, start up a grow journal so we can all follow along, and so you can leave notes for your future self as you learn this new thing. Besides that, we just like to see pretty pictures and pics from NZ would be extra special! Good luck and I hope your seed turns out to be a girl!

oh duh... this IS a grow journal! lol Good job Kate! I need coffee.... lol
@Emilya at this stage should I be letting her dry out and then watering her the way you described in your article? Or is there a different way to tend to the sweet teeny babies?

This morning was a cracker in southland so the seedling has been out getting some quality vitamin d.

I let it do its thing til mid afternoon when the soil started to look quite dry so gave it a bit of water.

Growth looked productive today, I need my lights to arrive asap!!

Think I may have fudged the other seedling being impatient...

Tips for watering and bucket size and soil type??

Is the first day the seedling sprouted day 1 of vegetation?

Chur friends

This morning was a cracker in southland so the seedling has been out getting some quality vitamin d.

I let it do its thing til mid afternoon when the soil started to look quite dry so gave it a bit of water.

Growth looked productive today, I need my lights to arrive asap!!

Think I may have fudged the other seedling being impatient...

Tips for watering and bucket size and soil type??

Is the first day the seedling sprouted day 1 of vegetation?

Chur friends

It varies between growers. This is what I'm giving the timing as "Days Since Germination / Day of stage," in my current journal. I'm using 21 days after the plant pokes its coat above ground as day one of vegetation.

I’ll pull up a seat next to the cool kids.

great job. Excited for your journey

you’ve got great and helpful people following to lean on.

:popcorn:

Welcome Kate, don't let the seedling dry out. The first few days or more I give them a teaspoon or so twice a day down the stem. After that, circles around the perimeter of the leaves coaxing the roots to the sides and following Emilyas watering guidelines. It's tricky for the first week maybe in my opinion but they really grow strong that way.

First attempt ever at growing!!

Have indulged in copious amounts of cannabis over the years, and have been very ignorant to the art form of the grow.

Now, as finances are getting tight, I have been researching and talking to as many people as I can to ensure a successful yield from my first grow.

Was given 2 seeds by a friend that she had gotten from a seed bank, off my tits at the time so have no idea what strain... have popped those bad boys and planted in soil... and to my delight so far 1 has sprouted from the soil!!

I am based in Southland in NZ, pretty much the end of the world, so far we havent had a summer so opting for an indoor grow, just small set up in a closet/tent (80x80x200).

Set up is due to arrive in 3 weeks as well as some other seeds from Canada...

Interested to know any tricks, what type of light cycle to use, and what to look out for.
Howdy
From the great white north
Love your country esp the south island
Good luck on your grow :yummy:

I count the beginning of veg as that day when the seedling stops floating around in the soil and has established itself as stable in that soil. During this seedling stage I water with a mister a couple of times a day, making sure not to swim the plant. Once this all settles down and the plant is stable, I water properly for the first time, and then from that moment on, work on establishing and maintaining a wet/dry cycle

Another primo day here.

Can see a bit of new growth starting to come through.

When should I repot this beautiful baby girl? (Defs not for a while I know)

In terms of soil, there is a lot of information out there, which is a little above me at the mo. If I just rock up to the gardening store and get an organic mix will that be sufficient?
I am planning on feeding her some extras when shes a but bigger too.

Back
Top Bottom