Mr. 9-Milly Attempts Autos Again

Hi Preston I am here super late! Traffic on the 15 was horrendous :surf: :laugh:. I am all caught up though and thought Id chime in with some of the things I saw on my way to this post.

Autos are inferior to photos and only for weak growers....count me in! :)
Somebody had to start something....lol :yahoo:
Nice!
Feel free to share pics!
:thumb:
I'm starting to think 3-5 gal is the sweet spot for autos. I just hope to get a good solid group of bushes on this run.

Time will tell... if I notice a certain strain vegging longer than expected, I may up-pot it to a 5 before the flowering starts, but I'm not expecting that with this group.

I'm guessing we will see pistils around day 24-30 on all 6.

Now we wait... lol
:passitleft:
Yeah, I'm really starting to enjoy coco. I've grown a bunch of autos in soil and had some great harvests. Once I got a taste of that cocaine..... :hmmmm: I mean coco... I haven't looked back.

But..... I'm either watering or feeding every day. I don't mind it, but I know it's not for everyone. LoL

:passitleft:
I haven't checked in on my ladies since Saturday noon...a nice benefit of enough soil to hold the moisture/nutrients needed...:cool:
3 gallon pots have been widely recommended for autos, but the last 4 crops of autos I've grown in 3 gallon pots were severely root bound. I'm moving up to 5s next time (should have made the move up b/f now). My experience has been that root bound plants (cannabis and otherwise) = stunted plants and decreased harvests.
3's never worked for me either...they ran out of nutrient steam and most likely were root bound...I now only do them in 7g.
Yeah buddy. I've done all of my past autos in 7's & 5's. This is a complete new attempt for me.

If they start pushing the limits of the pot, I may bump them up later. But, just guessing from my previous grows, I dont think I'll need to work much about it.

We shall see...
:thumb:
survey says I’m using 5 gallon for my next auto grow.
I am of the opinion that autoflowers are tricky and heres why. New growers, as evidenced by a couple of participants in this thread actually, are often led to believe that autos are easier. I started with photos for one grow then thought I was missing something with not growing autos.

I became a autoflower grower exclusively for longer than I should have. I found that for coco, three gallon containers were perfect because you want the bag to get full of roots so that you can use those roots in flower to make bigger buds. If the bag gets root bound (technically fabric bags dont get root bound eh?) who cares if your in coco? For soil I like five gallon and really I havent had a rootbound auto in five gallons of soil..
But as Blew said, you can water less often the bigger the pot. Thats one reason I went back to photoperiod plants recently, also I just wanted bigger plants.

The reason I say I grew autos longer than I should have was because my environment was complete crap really. I grow in an un-insulated garage in SoCal. I am inland so I experience hotter summers and cooler winters than my coastal brethren. Looking at you @InTheShed :ciao:.
Experienced growers will tell you that, indoors, your environment is absolutely key to growing the best produce you can. I believe this is even more true for autoflowers. I also agree and have proven in journals here that transplanting autos, even after showing preflowers, is quite possible.
In my experience autos are susceptible to flowering when stressed. Stress can come in many forms but topping, upcanning, environmental problems, can all be triggers for the plant to flower before you'd like.

I began a quest to un fuck myself lol and the culmination of that quest can be seen in my response below to Hirino420.

I believe, now that I have my environment sorted, I could grow better autoflowers. My point is that growers should realize that if you can get your environment locked, you can grow amazing plants.
:slide:

Got idea of best temp and humidity?
Hey Hirino, check out the link in my signature about Vapor Pressure Deficit. The faster you learn how to manipulate the environment your plants are in, the better success you will have. All the nutrients in the world cant help a plant that is choking to death because it cant transpire.

But if you want a set and forget temp humidity for an entire grow? Keep it 80F lights on and 70F lights off peg the humidity at 50%RH the whole grow and youll kil it all things like light and watering practices being equal.
OK I gotta say my part about FFOF being too hot for seedlings. Of 8 plants recently, 6 have been started from tap directly in FFOF, the other two in MG's Organic Potting Soil. I'm a rogue, I know. But all 8 never had any issues whatsoever with hot soil. I'm not telling anyone it's OK, because I don't need a bunch of PM's saying you killed my plants, but it's OK!
That is all.

Yeah hey MrS I totally agree with you here man. Ive used alot of FFOF and I dont burn my seedlings. If you get burnt leaves, and I hate to go back to the environment thing, but it could be your environment. When RH is low it causes plants to drink more from the roots than normal to compensate for the crispy leaves its experiencing.
This can cause the plant to drink more than it should and get burnt.

Also someone at some point said they recommend higher humidity in veg to the tune of 65%RH or higher. Looking at a VPD chart it would seem this is a good idea but a word of caution:

If you run high humidity in a tent you will have to have a humidifier (which we all should have anyways right?) and that can wreak havoc on electrical parts. Be sure to have a fan blowing the fog coming from the humidifier so it doesnt drift up into your lights. Especially if have HPS, dont ask how I know this lol. The last thing is that high humidity can cause problems with your charcoal filter, it doesnt like to constantly suck in moist air and neither does your exhaust fan.

Anyways Im pumped to be here P9 as I absolutely love Super Lemon Haze. It was my first grow! Cheers!

Oof, sorry to hear that Joe. I hope you two can work through it. :Namaste:

Looked good on video, but that's what IG is for...no one posts the shite.
Yeah we’re talking I’m not a guy who holds grudges lucky. And I asked myself really is it worth divorcing ?

No it wasn’t it comes down to marriage is making sacrifices for the ones you love , it’s learning how to change to better yourself and the relationship. It was a fun night up to that tubing down those hills and I got some good videos too maybe I can upload and post to you tube and share on wall for all to see ?

Hi Preston I am here super late! Traffic on the 15 was horrendous :surf::laugh:. I am all caught up though and thought Id chime in with some of the things I saw on my way to this post.

Somebody had to start something....lol :yahoo:

I am of the opinion that autoflowers are tricky and heres why. New growers, as evidenced by a couple of participants in this thread actually, are often led to believe that autos are easier. I started with photos for one grow then thought I was missing something with not growing autos.

I became a autoflower grower exclusively for longer than I should have. I found that for coco, three gallon containers were perfect because you want the bag to get full of roots so that you can use those roots in flower to make bigger buds. If the bag gets root bound (technically fabric bags dont get root bound eh?) who cares if your in coco? For soil I like five gallon and really I havent had a rootbound auto in five gallons of soil..
But as Blew said, you can water less often the bigger the pot. Thats one reason I went back to photoperiod plants recently, also I just wanted bigger plants.

The reason I say I grew autos longer than I should have was because my environment was complete crap really. I grow in an un-insulated garage in SoCal. I am inland so I experience hotter summers and cooler winters than my coastal brethren. Looking at you @InTheShed :ciao:.
Experienced growers will tell you that, indoors, your environment is absolutely key to growing the best produce you can. I believe this is even more true for autoflowers. I also agree and have proven in journals here that transplanting autos, even after showing preflowers, is quite possible.
In my experience autos are susceptible to flowering when stressed. Stress can come in many forms but topping, upcanning, environmental problems, can all be triggers for the plant to flower before you'd like.

I began a quest to un fuck myself lol and the culmination of that quest can be seen in my response below to Hirino420.

I believe, now that I have my environment sorted, I could grow better autoflowers. My point is that growers should realize that if you can get your environment locked, you can grow amazing plants.

Hey Hirino, check out the link in my signature about Vapor Pressure Deficit. The faster you learn how to manipulate the environment your plants are in, the better success you will have. All the nutrients in the world cant help a plant that is choking to death because it cant transpire.

But if you want a set and forget temp humidity for an entire grow? Keep it 80F lights on and 70F lights off peg the humidity at 50%RH the whole grow and youll kil it all things like light and watering practices being equal.

Yeah hey MrS I totally agree with you here man. Ive used alot of FFOF and I dont burn my seedlings. If you get burnt leaves, and I hate to go back to the environment thing, but it could be your environment. When RH is low it causes plants to drink more from the roots than normal to compensate for the crispy leaves its experiencing.
This can cause the plant to drink more than it should and get burnt.

Also someone at some point said they recommend higher humidity in veg to the tune of 65%RH or higher. Looking at a VPD chart it would seem this is a good idea but a word of caution:

If you run high humidity in a tent you will have to have a humidifier (which we all should have anyways right?) and that can wreak havoc on electrical parts. Be sure to have a fan blowing the fog coming from the humidifier so it doesnt drift up into your lights. Especially if have HPS, dont ask how I know this lol. The last thing is that high humidity can cause problems with your charcoal filter, it doesnt like to constantly suck in moist air and neither does your exhaust fan.

Anyways Im pumped to be here P9 as I absolutely love Super Lemon Haze. It was my first grow! Cheers!
For me it’s just finding that 50% area with out using a humidifier in flower tent . Think I should have bought a 4 inch extractor consider my surrounding environment here in my house or room
Of which my tents /plants are in.

If I put a humidifier in my 4x4 x6.5 tent I need to exhaust out of tent outside directly in winter so it sucks whatever air odour in tent and throws outside . Humidifier useless then. I’ve tried it and maybe a few spikes in rh . I can’t get over 35% usually my 3x3x6 is not exhausted just booster fan on floor taking the cold low rh which is 26% in room and usually 70-68f and bring it into the tent my temps aeel
To be around 75-79f 79 being bit to high for my liking . Rh hangs aroud 40-50% so doable . But that four by four I’ve tried endless to dial it in come flower no go .

So I get and agree environment is key then light and then food .

Looking at you @InTheShed :ciao:.
:ciao:

My environment near the coast is less than ideal as well. Once you get out of the plant's comfort zone it doesn't matter if we're in the 90s and you're in triple digits. Plant's gonna hate either way. Same with the overnights, though your summer lows are probably lower than mine. Not to mention my nighttime 90+% RH almost 365 days a year.

Any one trying to grow outside has environmental challenges that are completely different from being able to control what's happening inside the tent. Unless you're in Hawaii. :)
My point is that growers should realize that if you can get your environment locked, you can grow amazing plants.
I would like to point out that even if your plants live in the VPD zone, you can have completely uncooperative autoflower plants and there's nothing you can do about it. That's why I don't grow many autos anymore. Always time to dial in an uncooperative photo!

Yeah we’re talking I’m not a guy who holds grudges lucky. And I asked myself really is it worth divorcing ?

No it wasn’t it comes down to marriage is making sacrifices for the ones you love , it’s learning how to change to better yourself and the relationship. It was a fun night up to that tubing down those hills and I got some good videos too maybe I can upload and post to you tube and share on wall for all to see ?
Im celebrating 20 years this ...shit when is my anniversary again?:laugh::ciao:... anyhow weve had some rough patches early on, Youre right though you cant be stubborn if you want a marriage to work. It takes some sacrifices for sure! Hope it all works out Joe :thumb:

For me it’s just finding that 50% area with out using a humidifier in flower tent . Think I should have bought a 4 inch extractor consider my surrounding environment here in my house or room
Of which my tents /plants are in.

If I put a humidifier in my 4x4 x6.5 tent I need to exhaust out of tent outside directly in winter so it sucks whatever air odour in tent and throws outside . Humidifier useless then. I’ve tried it and maybe a few spikes in rh . I can’t get over 35% usually my 3x3x6 is not exhausted just booster fan on floor taking the cold low rh which is 26% in room and usually 70-68f and bring it into the tent my temps aeel
To be around 75-79f 79 being bit to high for my liking . Rh hangs aroud 40-50% so doable . But that four by four I’ve tried endless to dial it in come flower no go .

So I get and agree environment is key then light and then food .
I totally understand and heres the solution: You need a controller, I recommend an 30-40 dollar inkbird and it will aid you in controlling your humidity. Forgive me if I cover something you already know. It has two outlets, one for when the lower limit is achieved and one for the upper limit. I suggest that you set the lower limit to be 45%RH so that your humidifier kicks on. The upper limit should be set to 50%RH or so.

What will happen here, if set up properly, is youll plug your humidifier into controller and your exhaust fan into the other outlet on the controller. When RH is low, the controller will turn on the humidifier until it reaches 50%RH and then turn off the humidifier. At the same time, your exhaust fan will turn on and evacuate the tents air taking your precious RH with it unfortunately. The preocess will repeat ad nausuem.

Now some folks will say "what about air exchange"? Ive done this for an entire grow nearly save for the first week or two of veg and the cycle repeated like clockwork. Humidifier on for a minute and a half, and it took 3.5 minutes for the exhaust fan to get the humidity back down to the lower limit.
I no longer have to do a "cycling of the tents atmosphere" like this anymore because I have a very powerful humidifier now and I have grow in a 4x8 but only use half of it for plants, the other half is dehumidifier, ac, heater, and humidifer.

Your times will differ based on several factors like ambient RH,exhaust fan speed, humidifier output, etc. but just set a stop watch on your phone and play around with it for a while. Relative Humidity cannot be overlooked as one of the most important factors for our plants, indoors.

:ciao:

My environment near the coast is less than ideal as well. Once you get out of the plant's comfort zone it doesn't matter if we're in the 90s and you're in triple digits. Plant's gonna hate either way. Same with the overnights, though your summer lows are probably lower than mine. Not to mention my nighttime 90+% RH almost 365 days a year.

Any one trying to grow outside has environmental challenges that are completely different from being able to control what's happening inside the tent. Unless you're in Hawaii. :)

I would like to point out that even if your plants live in the VPD zone, you can have completely uncooperative autoflower plants and there's nothing you can do about it. That's why I don't grow many autos anymore. Always time to dial in an uncooperative photo!

I imagine Hawaii has their share of humidity problems..you know..being surrounded by water and all :laugh::slide:.

I am probably better off humidity wise than you are, for sure. Youre right Shed, plants arent always going to be happy even in the most OCD controlled environment. Some plants, atleast Ive noticed, dont 'hook up' to the soil and get going real good for a while. Thats been my experience with my Durban. She wasnt happy in the soil in the beginning of the grow, but the living soil wasnt as alive as it needed to be.

I would be extremely excited about my outdoor environment if not for the triple digits in the dog days of summer. But hey, Im working on some ideas to keep em' cooled off! Id welcome anyones ideas if you have em' though they will be staying still. Likely in a raised bed

Shade cloth and Vegas-style misters :). For the plants and the fam!
Shade cloth yeah...misters might be a bit much haha!

Maybe Ill just stand out there with lemonade and a spray bottle when she gets hot haha!

Im celebrating 20 years this ...shit when is my anniversary again?:laugh::ciao:... anyhow weve had some rough patches early on, Youre right though you cant be stubborn if you want a marriage to work. It takes some sacrifices for sure! Hope it all works out Joe :thumb:
Thanks bud

Being a good human isn’t easy I agree

To us men !!
Who eat the shit sandwiches and find it better to forgive then to forget ✊:passitleft:

Amen :Namaste:

I totally understand and heres the solution: You need a controller, I recommend an 30-40 dollar inkbird and it will aid you in controlling your humidity. Forgive me if I cover something you already know. It has two outlets, one for when the lower limit is achieved and one for the upper limit. I suggest that you set the lower limit to be 45%RH so that your humidifier kicks on. The upper limit should be set to 50%RH or so.

What will happen here, if set up properly, is youll plug your humidifier into controller and your exhaust fan into the other outlet on the controller. When RH is low, the controller will turn on the humidifier until it reaches 50%RH and then turn off the humidifier. At the same time, your exhaust fan will turn on and evacuate the tents air taking your precious RH with it unfortunately. The preocess will repeat ad nausuem.

Now some folks will say "what about air exchange"? Ive done this for an entire grow nearly save for the first week or two of veg and the cycle repeated like clockwork. Humidifier on for a minute and a half, and it took 3.5 minutes for the exhaust fan to get the humidity back down to the lower limit.
I no longer have to do a "cycling of the tents atmosphere" like this anymore because I have a very powerful humidifier now and I have grow in a 4x8 but only use half of it for plants, the other half is dehumidifier, ac, heater, and humidifer.

Your times will differ based on several factors like ambient RH,exhaust fan speed, humidifier output, etc. but just set a stop watch on your phone and play around with it for a while. Relative Humidity cannot be overlooked as one of the most important factors for our plants, indoors.

I imagine Hawaii has their share of humidity problems..you know..being surrounded by water and all :laugh::slide:.

I am probably better off humidity wise than you are, for sure. Youre right Shed, plants arent always going to be happy even in the most OCD controlled environment. Some plants, atleast Ive noticed, dont 'hook up' to the soil and get going real good for a while. Thats been my experience with my Durban. She wasnt happy in the soil in the beginning of the grow, but the living soil wasnt as alive as it needed to be.

I would be extremely excited about my outdoor environment if not for the triple digits in the dog days of summer. But hey, Im working on some ideas to keep em' cooled off! Id welcome anyones ideas if you have em' though they will be staying still. Likely in a raised bed

Well gosh darn that’s is a lot of useful knowledge there at to take my broken brain and really read it slowly .

I will look into this device you speak of to help maintain humidity.

I wonder if i actually put a timer on my exhaust fan of it would act as build up and bang release ? Nice man I’m going to lay aroud tonight think I got a timer for it too will report back see if even that change me setting my exhaust on timer say every hr turn on for 15 mins ?

Think this would allow more rh to build ?

Since last grow for awhile here sadly ...

Don’t want to sink funds in currently .

Trust me if I could I buy everyone a set up with top of line shiz lol

Thank you very much for that info I’m going to look into it further more ✊

Whaddup everyone!
Busy ass week at work again... trying to squeeze in a little update.
:nomo:

So, it looks like this whole group of autos is off to a slower start. Meh... not concerned about it yet.
They're all about 18-20 days above soil now.

Every plant that was drooping is now perky and one of the ol perky ones is droopy now. LoL
Little sassy asses! Whatever... :eye-roll: I get it beeotches. The RH in the tent has been nuts lately.

All the domes have been off for a day now. They all seem fine. I turned the humidifier on when I got home from work. It should push me back into the 40-ish % range. I'm cool wit it.

Without further adieu...

They will get a dose of nutrients tomorrow.

Hope this week is being easy on y'all!
:snowboating:

Evening mr.P thought I'd share my latest auto with you..... :snowboating:

StitchedUpKush.....

Looking forward to trying these in coco bit down the road, hope ya doing well brother...

Evening to you mr.Shed.....

Evening mr.P thought I'd share my latest auto with you..... :snowboating:

StitchedUpKush.....

image.jpeg

Looking forward to trying these in coco bit down the road, hope ya doing well brother...

Evening to you mr.Shed.....
Looking good brother!

I was already stalking your journal today so I could get the first peek at your ladies. How's the smell? They just look like 2 little stink-pots. LoL
:welldone:

Whaddup everyone!
Busy ass week at work again... trying to squeeze in a little update.
:nomo:

So, it looks like this whole group of autos is off to a slower start. Meh... not concerned about it yet.
They're all about 18-20 days above soil now.

Every plant that was drooping is now perky and one of the ol perky ones is droopy now. LoL
Little sassy asses! Whatever... :eye-roll: I get it beeotches. The RH in the tent has been nuts lately.

All the domes have been off for a day now. They all seem fine. I turned the humidifier on when I got home from work. It should push me back into the 40-ish % range. I'm cool wit it.

Without further adieu...

They will get a dose of nutrients tomorrow.

Hope this week is being easy on y'all!
:snowboating:

Looks a good Preston! They are all on the move and I’m sure they will enjoy the feeding

I've heard Fox Ocean Forest can be hot for little ones. I'm not experienced in that, but I'm certain I've heard that before...
:hmmmm:
You know, half say it is NOT too hot and the other half says it IS too hot. I am just gonna run the seedlings in FFOF on my next run and I'll know how it works. For me anyway. I have also heard that seedlings take to it better than fresh clones. Maybe I'll take some clones before I flip my current girls to flower and try them in it too. I've decided that the only way to know for sure is to be brave and try it!

Snap I F-up!! down to earth fertilizer is 4-6-2 not 4-4-4 . For some reason I feel like it's not a good fertilizer has anyone ever used it or even heard/know of it ?
I know a lot of organic growers that use it to amend their soil. Some use it in compost tea as well. Based off that I'd say it's pretty decent stuff.
Edit* I know a lot of organic growers that use that brand. Not the tomatoes stuff, down to earth has a good sized product line.

Thanks bud

Being a good human isn’t easy I agree

To us men !!
Who eat the shit sandwiches and find it better to forgive then to forget ✊:passitleft:

Amen :Namaste:
Here’s to us man! :Rasta::passitleft:
Well gosh darn that’s is a lot of useful knowledge there at to take my broken brain and really read it slowly .

I will look into this device you speak of to help maintain humidity.

I wonder if i actually put a timer on my exhaust fan of it would act as build up and bang release ? Nice man I’m going to lay aroud tonight think I got a timer for it too will report back see if even that change me setting my exhaust on timer say every hr turn on for 15 mins ?

Think this would allow more rh to build ?

Since last grow for awhile here sadly ...

Don’t want to sink funds in currently .

Trust me if I could I buy everyone a set up with top of line shiz lol

Thank you very much for that info I’m going to look into it further more ✊

Yea please don’t spend any money if you don’t have too. A timer would be fine but it’s going to take some good ol’ R&D to find out the proper timing. I suggest a stopwatch and plenty of herb coupled with your most trusted hygrometer :high-five:
Let's hope for moister air and better growth ahead!
I’ve got rain here Shed, plenty of moisture for now haha!
You know, half say it is NOT too hot and the other half says it IS too hot. I am just gonna run the seedlings in FFOF on my next run and I'll know how it works. For me anyway. I have also heard that seedlings take to it better than fresh clones. Maybe I'll take some clones before I flip my current girls to flower and try them in it too. I've decided that the only way to know for sure is to be brave and try it!
This is growing though for sure. The answer lies somewhere between environmental factors and strain traits. Those that have had burned plants either had a picky eater strain or the plant was subjected to less than ideal environment conditions.
As you say, gotta just grab it by the horns and try it out for you and your unique grow setup.
Tell ya one thing, if I was in a more stable environment, autos are a good choice. You can easily setup a perpetual with only one tent and maybe a cardboard box for seedling starts. Plus, the short life cycle means you can get five harvests a year even without a perpetual setup.
Lots of flexibility there.
Sadly manipulating my environment, especially in the summer just costs too much for me so outside I go :thumb:
I’ll probably run an indoor crop in the fall to spring so maybe two harvests and then one in summer. That’s what I’m starting to envision.

your most trusted hygrometer
:high-five:

I'm not the only one! Haha! My little hygrometers are all over the fuckin' place. Generally within 2-3%, but I still use "ol' trusty" when I need an accurate read. Haha!

Back
Top Bottom