Alexk007

I have a lady who is struggling and more/less has been for a good week or so, I've done research and have gone as far as google would let me, so now.. I ask you lovely folk!! My miss has been quite lime green in all the tops directly new growth it seems.. There are lots of ugly fading leaves something you would consider dang near camo. I've had folk from Instagram tell me to start normal IPM methods, because it could be due too bugs. I've checked with my jewelers loop and haven't seen any. Leading the next possible cause to be an obvious deficiency, I don't have the strongest knowledge on many deficiencies except for the common ones and my first guess would be nitrogen but it's all new growth??? HELP! :)
Info: 5 Gallon AcInfinity Fabric Pot - Feed, water, water, feed - I PH my water separately for each of the 3 ladies I have,, one being autoflower currently flowering beautifully,,, the other two show no signs like said pictured plant, all around PH of 6.3 - 6.5 - In Fox Farms Happy Frog Soil - unknown strain/s

Light green on new growth is normal. Tips not burned or curving, so not too much nutes, I used to alternate feed/water/feed/water when I first started and now once I'm feeding it's almost every time. Starting my mix with lighter strength and adjust as needed as they can be totally different in wants from plant to plant.

I have a lady who is struggling and more/less has been for a good week or so, I've done research and have gone as far as google would let me, so now.. I ask you lovely folk!! My miss has been quite lime green in all the tops directly new growth it seems.. There are lots of ugly fading leaves something you would consider dang near camo. I've had folk from Instagram tell me to start normal IPM methods, because it could be due too bugs. I've checked with my jewelers loop and haven't seen any. Leading the next possible cause to be an obvious deficiency, I don't have the strongest knowledge on many deficiencies except for the common ones and my first guess would be nitrogen but it's all new growth??? HELP! :)
Info: 5 Gallon AcInfinity Fabric Pot - Feed, water, water, feed - I PH my water separately for each of the 3 ladies I have,, one being autoflower currently flowering beautifully,,, the other two show no signs like said pictured plant, all around PH of 6.3 - 6.5 - In Fox Farms Happy Frog Soil - unknown strain/s

Hello, Alex 👋🏻
I was going to say the same about the new growth being lime green as Dwight mentioned. As long as they are green and still growing, they are good.
How much are you feeding/watering, are you watering till run off?
They look good overall 👍🏻
Maybe a bit hungry to me.

Light green on new growth is normal. Tips not burned or curving, so not too much nutes, I used to alternate feed/water/feed/water when I first started and now once I'm feeding it's almost every time. Starting my mix with lighter strength and adjust as needed as they can be totally different in wants from plant to plant.
I go very light on nutrients due to burning in the beginning, I need to get to the point where I truly realize that I will get results unless they die, the deeper the science the less accurate my results will be without lab equipment.

I feed them the "Cliché" fox farms trio (grow big, big bloom, tiger bloom)

Another 420 staff member messaged me saying she thinks it looks like an iron deficiency, she said coming from a root issue or PH/nutrient issues obviously.

I water/feed them until I notice the weight difference, still getting better at that, I've noticed this particular ladies runoff is a tad nasty brown color, it doesn't stink. This is my very 1st grow and everything is such a rollercoaster, I think I'm leaning towards autoflower runs in the future, yet they're very much less forgiving.

I started the essential oil IPM method last night @ lights off for preventive measures, Ill get some pics of the torn leaf spots to give the evidence to the "bug theory" possibly you guys could diagnose that reasoning, my thought is the good circulation I have just tears some weaker spots on the leaves and causing some to misgrow.

I got a little more information by reading this last, and now know that you are using the Fox Farm nutrient line. What alarms me though is that you seem to be saying that you are adjusting the dosages of the nutrients yourself, rather than following the online published feeding chart, that adjusts those dosages for you depending on the week of the grow. PH is very important in a Fox Farm grow, and you need to be adjusting your input fluids very carefully to 6.3 pH with each application... and so far it sounds like you are not doing that. The fox farm chart says to feed twice a week, and usually if you f/w/f/w this is about how often you do it... it sounds like you are feeding much more often. Lastly, it does not sound like you are waiting for the plants to dry out all the way to the bottom before watering, it sounds like instead you are watering by a schedule.

I got a little more information by reading this last, and now know that you are using the Fox Farm nutrient line. What alarms me though is that you seem to be saying that you are adjusting the dosages of the nutrients yourself, rather than following the online published feeding chart, that adjusts those dosages for you depending on the week of the grow. PH is very important in a Fox Farm grow, and you need to be adjusting your input fluids very carefully to 6.3 pH with each application... and so far it sounds like you are not doing that. The fox farm chart says to feed twice a week, and usually if you f/w/f/w this is about how often you do it... it sounds like you are feeding much more often. Lastly, it does not sound like you are waiting for the plants to dry out all the way to the bottom before watering, it sounds like instead you are watering by a schedule.
It says right up there what I ph my feedings too. I don't make up amounts I use half of the recommended doses as every person using these nutrients do, every article online and gardener I've chatted with suggests half dose for autoflower and .75 for photos. I water by the weight of my pots, as most gardeners do. I have a scale next to the tent I've weighed them with at their driest times and after flush to see the highest and lowest end. I don't water on any schedule, I let the plants tell me what they need as most do.

It says right up there what I ph my feedings too. I don't make up amounts I use half of the recommended doses as every person using these nutrients do, every article online and gardener I've chatted with suggests half dose for autoflower and .75 for photos. I water by the weight of my pots, as most gardeners do. I have a scale next to the tent I've weighed them with at their driest times and after flush to see the highest and lowest end. I don't water on any schedule, I let the plants tell me what they need as most do.
Sorry that I missed your initial post here telling how you carefully pH adjust of each plant's watering separately, because that point was missed in our PM discussion. So that no longer is an issue for me, and thank you for patiently explaining it to me that pH cant be the problem.

It also sounds like you have the watering down, so I will quit asking you about that. We have now eliminated 2 common problem areas.

What remains is how you are feeding them, not just in the frequency, but in your decision to follow the online gurus in believing that there is a better way to feed autos and regulars than what Fox Farm Nutrients recommends. There is not a better way. A plant is a plant is a plant, and there are actually no special rules that apply to Autos. You, in your newness to this hobby/profession, are just like so many before you, believing something that the actual pros call "bro-science." Most of these old wive's tales and rumors are started on online forums and YouTube channels. I am not trying to be rude to you and I know you are trying, but instead of all of this am trying to tell you something that you may not have considered, in response of course, to your inquiry on this forum as to what is the matter with your plants. We are trying to help, but can only do so in response to the clues you give us and I am known for digging for the information that I need in order to help you.

Your investigations so far have not come across me or my writings apparently, because I have talked many times on this very subject. I understand that so far in your studies, you have come to believe that Autos need less nutes than Photo plants. I ask you to prove it. Find me ONE feeding chart from a nute manufacturer that has a special feeding rate published for using their product on Auto plants. If this was such a thing that Every article out there says it is so, you would think that just one nute manufacturer would agree and publish a special Auto Feeding Chart? Run this equation through your logic... I am feeding lightly = I will have deficiencies

"Occam's Razor : the most likely solution is the simplest one."

Have you looked at the soil feeding chart for Fox Farm Nutrients? I am somewhat of an expert on this system as I ran it exclusively during my early growing career, many years ago. I suggest completely following what you find on that feeding chart, including the 3x the volume of the container flushes, periodically in the grow. The feeding suggestions start very lightly at week one of the grow and steadily build up as the plants can handle it. I suggest feeding twice a week as the system calls for, and as I explained to you in our private discussion on how to properly use soil, you will find a much stronger response to your expensive nutes by following a f/w/f/w schedule.

thank you for explaining and also apologizing, I will start following the chart accordingly and I'm going to flush her tomorrow, my only concern with flushing is, I used to be very bad @ watering and throughout that time in my research I'd hear about flushing, but it never made sense that if I can over water how doesn't flushing cause them to get the symptoms of over watering?

"A plant is a plant is a plant, and there are actually no special rules that apply to Autos. You, in your newness to this hobby/profession, are just like so many before you, believing something that the actual pros call "bro-science." Most of these old wive's tales and rumors are started on online forums and YouTube channels. I am not trying to be rude to you and I know you are trying, but instead of all of this am trying to tell you something that you may not have considered, in response of course, to your inquiry on this forum as to what is the matter with your plants. We are trying to help, but can only do so in response to the clues you give us and I am known for digging for the information that I need in order to help you."

I'm not experienced so you have to understand I never learned the hard way, I watch videos, read articles and books more obviously on the technology side, so once again understand I've never found such a great resource as this platform here so me seeing the "Bro science" and me seeing that it works, I'm most likely going to do what I see works best. I dont think its fair for you to be so harsh in demanding i prove where this information was found because as i said, i am new, this is my first grow so its even a surprise i have the couple beautiful girls and flowers I do. watch the top ten relavent videos after searching "feeding your cannabis plants", guaranteed 7/10 say to stay away from the recommended doses on the provided charts. You also can't deny that the folk who do this still get great results, it may not be the best lab grown pot ever but seeing results makes you go "maybe he is doing something right". but I really appreciate you doing the digging and giving me better solid information. it was irritating me in the beginning because yes per say my issue is newbie related but I do understand most of the basic science behind this beautiful crop. It definitely makes sense that if you short nutrients after introduction, yea it gonna be lacking, I'm just going with the flow this first season isn't about getting beautiful results, it's strictly trials for the next batch where i can look back on stuff like this so it won't ever be a future issue

My grandpa who used to garden lots always tells me "it's a weed!! they're stronger than you think!!!" and I need to realize that.

my only concern with flushing is, I used to be very bad @ watering and throughout that time in my research I'd hear about flushing, but it never made sense that if I can over water how doesn't flushing cause them to get the symptoms of over watering?
Soil is designed with a specific water retention rate. It can only hold so much water, and then the rest falls out as runoff. Think of a pot of soil as a sponge. It can only be filled to a certain point.

You can not overwater in one session because of this. Even when flushing, using 3x the container size in fresh water, only the same amount stays in the soil as if you had simply watered to runoff. As far as the plant knows, a flushing is simply a good watering.

The only way to overwater this weed is by watering too often. If you don't let the soil dry out all the way to the bottom between waterings, allowing the lowest roots to suck in some oxygen at the end of each cycle, you are an overwaterer and your plants will suffer as a result.

I dont think its fair for you to be so harsh in demanding i prove where this information was found because as i said, i am new, this is my first grow so its even a surprise i have the couple beautiful girls and flowers I do.
I asked you to check around... do some more research, and I challenged you to find me even one nute manufacturer that gives a special feeding chart for Autos. I did not ask you to prove where you found your .75 or .5 recommendations. This is the only way you are going to believe me, by doing your own research.. Autos do NOT need a special diet.... they are simply a plant like any other plant. The things you have read to the contrary, are incorrect and you should shy away from any source trying to feed you that bad information. Unfortunately, there is a LOT of incorrect information online.

It is not hard to appear to be a plant expert online. Simply give instructions to feed lightly and not challenge your plants. As a result those plants will usually just loaf along, not getting huge, but not having any major problems either. The online guru looks like a genius and the reader will be happy with his/her small but otherwise healthy plants. This works so often that the folks putting out this bad advice stay in business.

I grow huge and healthy plants. Check out my grow journals to see for yourself. I advocate fertilizing the crap out of these plants and tell my readers to garden like a Boss. Because of your readings so far, you are a somewhat timid gardener compared to me and how I treat my plants, and I am trying to show you that there is a better way and give you the truth so that you don't make all the common newbie mistakes.

Follow the directions that Fox Farm gave you, not some yahoo on the internet. Trust someone who puts her entire reputation on the line every time she publicly gives advice like I am giving you. Remember that I am being fact checked by anyone who reads these words by my peers here on this forum. There is real information out here online, you just have to look for it. Find an advice giver with a huge following, like mine. My reputation is hard earned and I have been around doing this for a long time. You can trust the things I am telling you.

From my current grow:
bloom room under the cultiuana.JPG

Hey @Alexk007 , and welcome to the forum!

Nice looking plants!

Regarding this...

1667808011506.png

There are lots of ugly fading leaves something you would consider dang near camo. I've had folk from Instagram tell me to start normal IPM methods, because it could be due too bugs. I've checked with my jewelers loop and haven't seen any. Leading the next possible cause to be an obvious deficiency, I don't have the strongest knowledge on many deficiencies except for the common ones and my first guess would be nitrogen but it's all new growth??? HELP!

You've got some chlorosis there, meaning splotches of light green on the leaves. It's kind of hard to see if it's interveinal chlorosis or not, which means splotches between the veins of the leaf.

Here's something I wrote about chlorosis in another thread:

Interveinal chlorosis is seen in early stage deficiency of: N, Mg, Fe, Zn, Mn. Which of these you've got, I don't know... just looking at some info online, and my Rosenthal book, Marijuana Grower's Handbook, 2010.

Apparently, Mn deficiency is rare, and is associated with Fe & Zn deficiency. I'm guessing you've got N and Mg covered, so I would throw out a guess that it's Fe... Rosenthal recommends checking pH, and feed of Fe, Zn, Mn... because the deficiencies are often found together.

I do see a darkened/reddish petiole there on that leaf, which could be a sign of Mg deficiency.

I see you do have some darkened/reddish petioles as well:
1667809289065.png

Regarding lime green new leaves... could be sulfur deficiency.

Your plants look pretty good and these are probably minor issues, and could resolve by themselves.

happy growing! 🪴

Hey @Alexk007 , and welcome to the forum!

Nice looking plants!

Regarding this...

1667808011506.png

You've got some chlorosis there, meaning splotches of light green on the leaves. It's kind of hard to see if it's interveinal chlorosis or not, which means splotches between the veins of the leaf.

Here's something I wrote about chlorosis in another thread:

I see you do have some darkened/reddish petioles as well:
1667809289065.png

Regarding lime green new leaves... could be sulfur deficiency.

Your plants look pretty good and these are probably minor issues, and could resolve by themselves.

happy growing! 🪴
Thank you for the information, i am going to start feeding as suggested and I am not disregarding the chlorosis part but if i am watering with air pumped tap water for 72 hours wouldn't that eliminate that? I've never seen such odd patterns until I rethought of tmv... and it looks pretty similar but you guys have the most credible information compared to me and google images. I'm going to take some pics at lights off tonight to update you lovely helpful people.

edit - It is non interveinal, it is very random and affects odd areas which really lead me to this forum because after days of trying to find anything similar online i couldn't. thank you to everyone who has complimented this grow it really makes me feel like i'm doing something right!

Thank you for the information, i am going to start feeding as suggested and I am not disregarding the chlorosis part but if i am watering with air pumped tap water for 72 hours wouldn't that eliminate that?
Sorry, maybe I didn't read enough of this thread. Are you talking about using a more pure water source when watering with your ferts? I use rainwater, which we have lots of here in Hawaii.

I've never seen such odd patterns until I rethought of tmv... and it looks pretty similar but you guys have the most credible information compared to me and google images. I'm going to take some pics at lights off tonight to update you lovely helpful people.
I have a CBD pheno that has shown lots of interveinal chlorosis, but I decided it wasn't from a virus. The clones of the pheno now seem to be responding to my addition of nutes, and the chlorosis is much less.

edit - It is non interveinal, it is very random and affects odd areas which really lead me to this forum because after days of trying to find anything similar online i couldn't. thank you to everyone who has complimented this grow it really makes me feel like i'm doing something right!
My guess it's likely not a virus, and likely a nutrient deficiency – one or more nutrients.

My knowledge base isn't large enough (as yet) to help with your plant problem, lots on here that do though. But one thing for sure is you are doing something right the moment you opened 420 and started to read You will find information on here about any way you can think to grow.:lot-o-toke:

Thank you for the information, i am going to start feeding as suggested and I am not disregarding the chlorosis part but if i am watering with air pumped tap water for 72 hours wouldn't that eliminate that? I've never seen such odd patterns until I rethought of tmv... and it looks pretty similar but you guys have the most credible information compared to me and google images. I'm going to take some pics at lights off tonight to update you lovely helpful people.

Sorry, maybe I didn't read enough of this thread. Are you talking about using a more pure water source when watering with your ferts? I use rainwater, which we have lots of here in Hawaii.

I have a CBD pheno that has shown lots of interveinal chlorosis, but I decided it wasn't from a virus. The clones of the pheno now seem to be responding to my addition of nutes, and the chlorosis is much less.

My guess it's likely not a virus, and likely a nutrient deficiency – one or more nutrients.
I have an aerator that can dechlorinate water in 24 hours by speeding up the evaporation rate, i do have a rain barrel but i guess I'm going more on the synthetic side of things, i feel like without a super live soil rain water could introduce some variables i wouldn't want to deal with.

are you running all autos, or autos and photos together ?

things look good but you're gonna have 2 different sets of needs. you have some leaf variegation which is genetic and no concern, and you have some spots which could be predatory i am concerned about. i'd get a closer look at those, and watch to see if it spreads.

are you running all autos, or autos and photos together ?

things look good but you're gonna have 2 different sets of needs. you have some leaf variegation which is genetic and no concern, and you have some spots which could be predatory i am concerned about. i'd get a closer look at those, and watch to see if it spreads.
this all started by chance so i never knew what i had. won't be long before the single auto is gone which will leave me with more space for the flower blow up of the photos. by predatory do you mean bugs? during the most recent defoliation i took some samples of the spots you may be talking about and put them under my microscope, spent two hours going over the weird patterns and what look like crunch marks. nothing was to be found.

you have some leaf variegation which is genetic and no concern
It is tempting to say it's just variegation. Maybe it is; however, notice there's some twisting of the leaf, and also the leaf margins aren't 100% healthy on the affected leaves.

1667861907816.png

It appears that some deficiencies can appear as random, mottled chlorosis, somewhat mimicking TMV (mosaic virus). I think maybe chlorosis from iron (Fe) deficiency can have this look (which is related to Zn and Mn deficiency), and possibly also Mg.

Contrast to this variegation (photo from @Sueet):

1667862142997.png

I wrote in another thread:
...the distinction between virus and variegation is that the virus symptoms are adverse – i.e. they have a negative effect on the plant. Variegation is completely benign.

Slight nutrient deficiency can also be relatively benign.

The leaf margins of the OP's affected leaves show some slight problems – I don't think these problems would be seen in genetic variegation. I'm thinking the problems are not significant enough to point to a virus. So, I'm sticking to the idea this is one or more deficiencies.

@Alexk007, can you show us a close-up of a couple of the affected leaves?

Back
Top Bottom