New ViparSpectra Lights Powering Self Watered SIP Run

Highya SO,

That looks like a lot of work to get her like that. Looks like she'll have a lot of short colas! All top bud!! Will be fun to watch her finish!!
Rain day here, today. I have pistils, and no males!! How unusual. I wonder if they'll be a week late maturing. They're about a week late showing pistils, from last year. Guess we'll see! Happy Smokin'

So symmetrical! I'm confused about keeping the lower node so flat below the upper one though. Won't that mean the plant always sees those branches as inferior to the ones on the top node?

I would think you would want the lower one at the same height as the upper and then kept flat. :hmmmm:
Yes, that's what I'm doing. The top node gets flattened and the bottom is growing up to meet it. I must have not described it well or wrong. Sorry about that!
Highya SO,

That looks like a lot of work to get her like that. Looks like she'll have a lot of short colas! All top bud!! Will be fun to watch her finish!!
Rain day here, today. I have pistils, and no males!! How unusual. I wonder if they'll be a week late maturing. They're about a week late showing pistils, from last year. Guess we'll see! Happy Smokin'
It's a mystery today Bode! These full bore sativa's can be funky growers! I'm surprised at how miniature this plant seems. Lots of branching and nodes that way but all small so far. Maybe the SIP has to make second gear? She never did appear to do the stall they all seem to have on pot up tp SIP.

So symmetrical! I'm confused about keeping the lower node so flat below the upper one though. Won't that mean the plant always sees those branches as inferior to the ones on the top node?

I would think you would want the lower one at the same height as the upper and then kept flat. :hmmmm:
Maybe I have my thoughts different here. I'm considering the tips of the lower node branches when they reach the tips of the top branches to be in sync hormone wise. What do you think? So it's the tips and not the branch that I'm considering.

Maybe I have my thoughts different here. I'm considering the tips of the lower node branches when they reach the tips of the top branches to be in sync hormone wise. What do you think? So it's the tips and not the branch that I'm considering.
My question too.

The goal with quadding is to have all of the buds at the same level. What I do with mine is flatten out the top two branches and let the lower two grow up until they reach the level of the top ones, then everything stays on the same plane.

In your picture it looks like you have an upper and a lower plane which is what I think Shed was getting at.

The goal with quadding is to have all of the buds at the same level. What I do with mine is flatten out the top two branches and let the lower two grow up until they reach the level of the top ones, then everything stays on the same plane.

In your picture it looks like you have an upper and a lower plane which is what I think Shed was getting at.
So with your first sentence I can say that's what's happening. The buds (tips now) will be at the same level even though the two nodes are at different heights. Your second sentence is exactly what's going on. We're talking the same game here I'm thinking. I'm waiting for the lower plane to catch up to the upper, that I keep down flat. Then I'll do my best to maintain a level canopy at that single common plane.
My question too.
I think we're all agreeing on the same thing. Maybe not Shed? I see in the pic the top node does look like it's going up more than it is. I'm making all the top branch nodes as flat as I can. It takes a day or two to grow enough to bring down flat so there's some that look pretty tall for being flat.
That looks like a lot of work to get her like that.
When it's play it doesn't feel like work ay.

She's cooking with gas Lerugged! I made a change yesterday and took off the bottom node leaving her a Quad. I think she'll be less a mess and more manageable this way. She's moving right along! I wonder how much longer to veg to fill the tent?
Before
After
Absolutely gorgeous Quad. Perfect. And the other four plants are growing so fast it’s incredible. That Sky Muffin keeps standing out to me every time I see it for some reason. She’s purty. Amazing work SO…

So with your first sentence I can say that's what's happening. The buds (tips now) will be at the same level even though the two nodes are at different heights. Your second sentence is exactly what's going on. We're talking the same game here I'm thinking. I'm waiting for the lower plane to catch up to the upper, that I keep down flat. Then I'll do my best to maintain a level canopy at that single common plane.

I think we're all agreeing on the same thing. Maybe not Shed? I see in the pic the top node does look like it's going up more than it is. I'm making all the top branch nodes as flat as I can. It takes a day or two to grow enough to bring down flat so there's some that look pretty tall for being flat.

When it's play it doesn't feel like work ay.
As long as they all end up in the same plane before flower you’re good, no? How you get there is one thing but being there when you flip is the goal, isn’t it?

As long as they all end up in the same plane before flower you’re good, no? How you get there is one thing but being there when you flip is the goal, isn’t it?
Btw @StoneOtter, if it were me, since the Quad is SO symmetrical, I would literally leave it exactly like it is, allow no further new growth except on these going up, and you’ll have a multi-cola, symmetrical BEAST, with long stems on every cola and the right number of colas for max growth on each. Not too many to dilute their size like a scrog does. Not so few that you’re overly dependent on what’s there. Awesome air flow between each cola. And you’d get side branching which you would decide what to do with in each case. Imho you’re set up perfectly for this. It would end up around a 12-20 giant cola indoor beauty. Just me…lol!

Thanks Aiz, that's exactly what I meant.
IMG_0217.jpg

This is my take: with the bottom layer lower than the upper one, the upper branches will always grow faster than the lower ones and the lowers will have a difficult time catching up. If you let the lower node be the same level as the upper the plant will consider them equal in terms of hormone distribution.

Absolutely gorgeous Quad. Perfect. And the other four plants are growing so fast it’s incredible. That Sky Muffin keeps standing out to me every time I see it for some reason. She’s purty. Amazing work SO…
Oh Man Sky Muffin has the genetics behind her to be something super nice! She and Northern Stank are my interests now knowing their background! Funny they both are moving the fastest. They want to get lst already tomorrow! They'll be running the show with timing lst and flip I think.
Thanks Aiz, that's exactly what I meant.
IMG_0217.jpg

This is my take: with the bottom layer lower than the upper one, the upper branches will always grow faster than the lower ones and the lowers will have a difficult time catching up. If you let the lower node be the same level as the upper the plant will consider them equal in terms of hormone distribution.
I see. You may be right. Let's see if my thought of letting the bottom catch the top is also a good way. The top is being held down with Carhooks waiting for the lowers to catch up. Though the top is unruly looking, its branches are being held down. Bottoms are reaching for them. I think tips are where the hormonal science lives, not necessarily the branch itself. Maybe @Light Addict come and will have an opinion. I think he invented working with hormones this/or a correct way!

I'm feeling that once the bottom gets to the top, they will be in sync and will be a good hormonally balanced canopy as long as I can keep it. I understand feelings, I may be wrong. I don't think I am at this time. This isn't necessarily the best way to grow but we're here in my 5ish foot tall tent with this mad sativa about to go up!

:thanks: This is thought provoking!

I'm confused about keeping the lower node so flat below the upper one though.

The top is being held down with Carhooks waiting for the lowers to catch up.
You can just turn the hook over, and use it to lift the bottom branches up- you'd still use a regular hook at the end of the branch to keep the tips close to the same height as the upper tips.

That's one reason I prefer to keep my seedlings as short as possible, so, in the beginning, there's only about an inch difference between the height of the lower tips and the upper tips, which can be easily adjusted with the branch angle.

Another way to put it is- at this stage, the branch angle can determine the height of the tips, so you adjust that angle to where the lower tips end up apx. the same height as the uppers.

I hope I explained that ok... 😬

I'm all in to watch you rock this plant! As long as you hold each individual branch off the top node flat then I can see where you're going. :)
That's the plan from day one man!
Because we've been talking about this one I took a look at her. She was born on June 26th far as i can see. Todays Aug 5. That makes her 40 days. That top rack of branches has 16 or 18 colas. The bottom rack has one set that is up to height and as many as the top maybe so I have to angle those off and get the others moving by letting the end tips go up if I remember right. Once the end of the lower branch goes up, the branchlets will follow is what I think I read. That's why I'd like Light Addict to notice this. I'm remembering from his journal and you know...my memory. I'll give him a visit when I'm not so high tomorrow and talk about this. If I don't get to talk with him I think I'll be getting the bottom tips going up soon and see how she goes. That'll take a week. Then time for the whole plant to rise up a couple of inches. Another week or two. I think it's time to move. This is a 16 week flowering lady right @Lerugged ?

You can just turn the hook over, and use it to lift the bottom branches up- you'd still use a regular hook at the end of the branch to keep the tips close to the same height as the upper tips.

That's one reason I prefer to keep my seedlings as short as possible, so, in the beginning, there's only about an inch difference between the height of the lower tips and the upper tips, which can be easily adjusted with the branch angle.

Another way to put it is- at this stage, the branch angle can determine the height of the tips, so you adjust that angle to where the lower tips end up apx. the same height as the uppers.

I hope I explained that ok... 😬
So are you saying on the lower node I can/maybe should at some time, just bring the ends up to the top nodes height now? That makes sense. The antiCarhooking is a great idea!

I was just about to grow the lower tips up. Moving them would be faster. I'll consider if that helps, I may need some time. Nice thinking!

Yep!
Btw @StoneOtter, if it were me, since the Quad is SO symmetrical, I would literally leave it exactly like it is, allow no further new growth except on these going up, and you’ll have a multi-cola, symmetrical BEAST, with long stems on every cola and the right number of colas for max growth on each. Not too many to dilute their size like a scrog does. Not so few that you’re overly dependent on what’s there. Awesome air flow between each cola. And you’d get side branching which you would decide what to do with in each case. Imho you’re set up perfectly for this. It would end up around a 12-20 giant cola indoor beauty. Just me…lol!
I like the way you think Jon! That happens to be exactly how I hope to see this pan out!

So are you saying on the lower node I can/maybe should at some time, just bring the ends up to the top nodes height now? That makes sense.
Exactly! And the sooner the better, imo...do it while those lowers are still a bit flexible, makes it easier..
It makes for a nice, flat canopy when she starts stretching...although, there's no guarantee she'll stretch evenly.. 🌝

A lot of the main branches on this one were lifted up- not the best example, because she didn't stretch at all, but those buds are all still the same height they were before she really started flowering- she started out flat, and stayed that way.
She may have stretched a little, but it was all horizontal..🤔

w2-3.jpg

Exactly! And the sooner the better, imo...do it while those lowers are still a bit flexible, makes it easier..
It makes for a nice, flat canopy when she starts stretching...although, there's no guarantee she'll stretch evenly.. 🌝

A lot of the main branches on this one were lifted up- not the best example, because she didn't stretch at all, but those buds are all still the same height they were before she really started flowering- she started out flat, and stayed that way.
She may have stretched a little, but it was all horizontal..🤔

w2-3.jpg
Ok Carcass. I'll see about the adjustments tomorrow! WOOHOO!

Back
Top Bottom