PeeJay's Neophyte Breeding Adventure

I just "Drag & Drop" into my personal Cannabis Picture Folder. I'm still Jacking co-members pics on a regular basis. It's relaxing to throw them on "slide show" and "shuffle" with my favorite music in the background while working in our indoor garden.

It never occurred to me about the kitchen years PeeJay, but it certainly paid off. I'd call you if I had a big harvest and lived nearby. I'm going to bookmark those pictures and use them for trimming inspiration. I grow for me, so it doesn't really matter, but that wont always be the case.

I just "Drag & Drop" into my personal Cannabis Picture Folder. I'm still Jacking co-members pics on a regular basis. It's relaxing to throw them on "slide show" and "shuffle" with my favorite music in the background while working in our indoor garden.

Thanks, Bar, can't wait to see if he says yes....

Well, my question did get answered....

Nice trim pics PeeJay, thank you! Most of mine right now don't need to look pretty because they are going to RSO, but very soon I'm going to trim up some purty nugs.

Daddy: "what do you want to do when you grow up?"

Youngun': "When I grow up I want to trim purty nugs just like Peejay."

You need a bigger hat dude.....

:laughtwo:

Thanks for the pics!

Shawnee, please help yourself to any pictures that you like. I do use a phone, a Samsung S5. It has a decent camera on it. Canna uses the same phone to take all her pictures as well.

Reg, I took the whole of last winter and spring off from growing (although I did help two other patients get set up to grow their own meds in that time) so most of those trimming pictures are more than a year old. When I harvest the Cheese in a couple of weeks it will be my first pull in almost a year. I'm not sure who came up with the turkey bags but I read it here somewhere. Maybe in one of Canna's seed making blog posts?. I'm not sure any old plastic bag would work. They sort of keep their shape and don't collapse and smother the plant plus the pollen doesn't really stick to the plastic. Those observations aside, you are right. It is crazy how little things read here and there on the forum stick and help people find ways to manage their own particular situation.

Here are a couple of better pictures of the turkey bags in action. Shake the bag and most of the pollen slides right into the corner.

20150826_080554.jpg

20150826_080503.jpg

And here is a pic of a little nug of Jilly Bean that was grown in PJ soil by someone else.

20150824_062237.jpg

Finished sorting out the indoor DarkStar this morning. It was a bit of a mess since it's starting to bulk up and was falling all over itself. I tied it up a bunch more and did some defol to open up lower bud sites. I climbed up on a milk crate and took a top-down picture as best I could. Big pile of beer cans. I think the DarkStar (on the right) is going to enjoy it's last two weeks in the space by itself. It still has to wait two weeks for that though...

20150826_102434.jpg

PJ, the grow looks utterly amazing! It's good to see the dark star filling out and putting out some resin! I like the technique you used to capture the pollen, I'll have to make a mental note for the future. Definitely looks much easier to do it that way instead of cutting the pollen sacs off one by one. Loving the breeding very informative! Thank you for sharing!!

Greenhouse Monsters Update

These two are about four weeks into flower and are at that age where the buds are swelling with a sense of increased sexual urgency. One nice thing about these two strains is neither one of them smells like pot that much. The DarkStar always smells like a gas station in a pine forest. The Sage n' Sour... It smells like toasted hazelnuts or praline. Maybe it smells like brown butter sage sauce? I should make something with brown butter and sage this week and see how the smell compares. The 6x24" filter is handling the odor fine so far. I don't think anyone is smelling it in the neighborhood.

Temperatures have cooled down. Highs are typically in the mid to high 80s lately. Thanks to the altitude the lows are 60-65. The days are shortening rapidly.

Here's a picture of as much of the DarkStar as I could fit into the frame. Space is tight in the greenhouse. Growth is dense, deep green and healthy.

20150831_165446.jpg

If things are pushed aside to take pictures of isolated colas they look like this.

20150831_165732.jpg

And this.

20150831_165834.jpg

There are lots and lots of these and they are getting frosty.

20150831_165926.jpg

20150831_165910.jpg

If I have a problem child in the current grow it is the Sage n' Sour. I'm still seeing some defects but I'm pretty sure I'm giving her all she needs. A flush may be in order. It was very difficult to get this plant to branch. I was successful with much perseverance but the resulting branches are thin. The plant is already falling all over itself and is in need of some major tying-up this week. I've already added a few strings but really need to get in there and do the job right.

As much Sage 'n Sour as I could fit in a frame.

20150831_170708.jpg

Despite the problems the colas are bulking up nicely. I dig the toasted hazelnut fragrence. It could be much worse!

20150831_170046.jpg

20150831_170110.jpg

20150831_170145.jpg

20150831_170023.jpg

20150831_170215.jpg

The weekly treat for these two will be 2 tsp/gallon of 2-3-1 fishy ferts. Each plant will take about 3 gallons

Lol... If that's your problem child I'll take her off your hands any day PJ.

I'd tell ya to come get her, Reg, but we'd need to take a box cutter to the disposable diaper greenhouse and cut a door to get her out. She's not a bad dog, really. It isn't hard to look past her bad habits.

No doubt! By the way, I'm just about ready for my new batch of one of your Custom Soil Mixes.

What I have on hand:

For the Base
The same LI Growers Mix Soil we used last time
Peat Moss
Perlite

Additives

Yum Yum
Bat Crap
Azomite
Bone Meal
Growology Step 1 for Mycos
Eggshells ready to bake & dustify

After transplanting into a few more 2lt soda pop pots our cooking bucket will be empty. I'll be using the 6gal one. Is there anything else you suggest I order this pay period before we get started?

Wow PeeJay. Just wow! :laughtwo:

"Brown butter and sage sauce" brought to mind such wonderful memories. We had a greenhouse along the south side of our home and I had planted sage along that entire southern side - 30' of sage growing and blooming and smelling so wonderfully sweet.

Thanks for that memory. :love:

Do you have a good collection of eggshells, Reg? Are they toasted and mixed up with old cannabis leaves like last time?

I think you are good to go. Considering your space limitations I'm wondering if maybe you should cook a batch with only half the required peat and perlite in it. Then you could extend the cooked portion with uncooked peat and perlite before planting. A cooked concentrate?

It would be nice if you could snag some worm castings. They should have those down at the garden center. Call them. If they don't have them see if they can order some. Instead of fishing with worms I want to send you fishing for worm castings. Hows the Yum-Yum supply?

I have about a dozen 1/2 eggshells saved up but I forgot all about saving the cannabis leaves. I should have enough by the time we get started. I'm good on the Yum Yum. "A cooked concentrate" Sounds like a plan.
I'll call the Urban Garden Center tomorrow. I had all but forgotten that you're the one who found that gem of a place for me.
If they don't have worm castings is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I order some?

I swear by Worm Power. A good choice for higher brix. You should be able to find local at this time of year though, and local is usually better, if only for the freshness.

Oh no.... Reg, that castings question is one that will whip worm-poo aficionados into a frenzy. I found a local source that I've been using. I have used three different bagged castings in the past; Wiggle Worm, Soil Mender, and Roots Big Worm. Of the three I thought that the Big Worm was the nicest product but was also the most spendy. Really any of them will do. Because they weigh a ton shipping will be cost-prohibitive unless you get them via Cramazon Prime - not sure if there are any options there. Given the recent hoopla over Cramazon's labor practices... Well.

First things first, call the Urban Garden Center or drop by. Ask them if they can order some for you if there are none in stock. They get deliveries all the time and you can probably dodge the shipping fee. If that is a no-go then move to plan B.

The BuildASoil site sells WormPower castings in various sizes mail order. They claim these are super-castings and charge a super-price for them. I looked there and they will send you a 4# box for $14.80 plus shipping. I plugged a 10016 zip code into the shipping calculator and got a shipping cost of $18.65. That works out to over $8.00 a pound for castings... SoilGirl was joking a while back that she was going to start a worm bin and feed them nothing but dollar bills. Hers would cost less than that, methinks. To put that into perspective, I recollect that the Roots Big Worm cost me about $35.00 for a cubic foot that weighed probably 25-30 pounds.

Check with the urban garden center first!

:thumb:

I swear by Worm Power. A good choice for higher brix. You should be able to find local at this time of year though, and local is usually better, if only for the freshness.

What other castings have you tried Sue?

Back
Top Bottom