PeeJay's Perpetual Organic Homebrewed Soil - Stealth Cabinet And Greenhouse Grow

Re: Stealthy 1st time indoor/outdoor hybrid grow. Mama Mia and White Panther in soil.

Neem oil works on almost everything look into it :thumb:

Re: Stealthy 1st time indoor/outdoor hybrid grow. Mama Mia and White Panther in soil.

From what I've read so far, the Azatrol is chemically related to neem. In a controlled trial done by the University of Wisconsin (FUCKEM' BUCKY!) the azatrol (azadirachitin) was slightly more effective than neem oil. From what I can tell they are similar enough that using both would not be worth it.

I'm just getting as much info as I can in case it turns out there are more hidden eggs yet to hatch. It's very difficult to get into all that tender growth around the fim site. It really is like a fluffy little pompom in there - lots and lots of tiny little tops.

On Saturday when I was seeing the butterflies and thinking how cool it was they were checking out the plant they were definitely gravitating towards the FIM pom.

i was gonna suggest neem oil as its never let me down,makes the plants look awesome! i love watching bugs become retarded as they are affected ,saw a gnat flying upside down in a circle and then into the bare 400 and poff grease speck, neem messes with them so they forget to do what they are supposed to just hilarious really,and biters hate the taste, the other thing i use is diatomaceous earth slices them to ribbions and they dehydrate, thats about it besides the sns stuff all works pretty good all 100% organic they are a sponsor too, love your stealth setup very slick gotta love the topled!:thumb::goodjob:

Well pj, I'm in a battle with cabbage moth larvae as we speak. I pick the little f'ers off as I find em. I am down to around fifteen outdoor plants......with around 15 being harvested already. The eggs musta been laid in the first two weeks of august. I used some worry free as an experiment...and it kept em off the single plant I tried it on. The worry free became unavailable, and they sold one of my protoges some neem oil at the grow store....I think the worms liked it. Stay the fuc- away from grow stores as much as possible...with the low prices we get buying on the net, they will sell you anything! They are desperate to stay in business......and I don't trust em. I have a mentor who has been growing outdoors for 45 years......continuously...he said he knows of no effective treatment. He picks em off, which is a task with hundreds of large plants. I have been picking em off every day since I found them. My advice is pick em off and hope for the best. My grow will be sprayed next year every 3 days for the first two weeks of august with worry free concentrate from wally mart, every three days! Good luck with the cabbage moth larvae!.......morning and evening is their favorite time of day! You're not gonna control these with pussy foot methods............it will take some aggressive poison....and with pounds of buds hangin from trees....I'll just pick em off and take my chances.......I have NEVER heard of anyone who got any measure of control other than manual picking............beware of parroting....repeating information that has been researched....with no practical experience!

diatomaceous earth slices them to ribbions and they dehydrate

Just looked 'em over. The chomping continues but not tons. I think I'll shake a little diatomaceous earth over the plants through a fine mesh like an old tee shirt. I've used it for ant control before. The only small downside to the stuff is it makes a heck of a mess. I'll experiment with "screens" and find something that will just let a little through and lay the thinnest possible dusting of the CaCO3 over the leaves. Thanks for the suggestion BID :thumb:

Bacillus thuringiensis can be used for caterpillar control.

Thanks KJC. I've read about the Bt. Both Jay and the guy at the grow shop have warned me off the Bt so I'm going to hold off on it for now. If things get worse - then maybe I'll try it.

Well pj, I'm in a battle with cabbage moth larvae as we speak. I pick the little f'ers off as I find em. I am down to around fifteen outdoor plants......with around 15 being harvested already. The eggs musta been laid in the first two weeks of august. I used some worry free as an experiment...and it kept em off the single plant I tried it on. The worry free became unavailable, and they sold one of my protoges some neem oil at the grow store....I think the worms liked it. Stay the fuc- away from grow stores as much as possible...with the low prices we get buying on the net, they will sell you anything! They are desperate to stay in business......and I don't trust em. I have a mentor who has been growing outdoors for 45 years......continuously...he said he knows of no effective treatment. He picks em off, which is a task with hundreds of large plants. I have been picking em off every day since I found them. My advice is pick em off and hope for the best. My grow will be sprayed next year every 3 days for the first two weeks of august with worry free concentrate from wally mart, every three days! Good luck with the cabbage moth larvae!.......morning and evening is their favorite time of day! You're not gonna control these with pussy foot methods............it will take some aggressive poison....and with pounds of buds hangin from trees....I'll just pick em off and take my chances.......I have NEVER heard of anyone who got any measure of control other than manual picking............beware of parroting....repeating information that has been researched....with no practical experience!

I'll keep searching for them. Maybe they fattened up enough overnight that I can spot them. Advice I've read is to look for a freshly chewed spot and follow the damage towards the stem from underneath. Tough to do in the FIM area!

From lurking in your journal for a couple of months I'm under the impression that we live in a similar area. With the much wetter than normal conditions we've had there is a bumper crop of weeds this year. I'm sure this has created a great environment for an explosion of cabbage worm butterflies. When I look over the balcony rail all I see is a three foot deep emerald sea of sunflowers and ragweed in the neighbor's back yard.

Having 15 large plants affected sounds rough. Hope the crew can pull it in ok! Thanks for your input!

I haven't been living here very long. Spent the last seven years of so a few hours north and 2500 feet higher than here. The butterflies look familiar to me. Haven't had any problem with them in my veg gardens over the years, though.

I was able to slowly lower the temperature down to 54 degrees in the cab overnight by running the swamp cooler and directing the vents towards air intake. I've been down to 60 before - something I do because I like to "harden" the plant. I'm slowly bringing the temp back up. I'm sure the critters don't like the cold and the plants don't seem to mind - probably ain't great for the growth rate but it brings the sap up...

I read that chickens love to comb plants for cabbage worms - they find them quite tasty. Anyone know where I can rent a chicken?

I read that chickens love to comb plants for cabbage worms - they find them quite tasty. Anyone know where I can rent a chicken?
I've got two roosters and one has to go! LOL Problem with chickens is they'll probably eat your plants too! They eat just about anything, great garbage disposals around my place. :biglaugh:

And to add to the moth problems of late, I found two this morning in my own grow room. Small, but there all the same. GRRRR

Hope the moths don't cause you problems Ms. Canna.

So, I was thinking how to get some diatomatious earth on my plants without covering them in a mess of the stuff. I just wanted a little on the underside of the leaves. Then I had a coupe de foudre! I had one of those tubes of graphite powder. I used it yesterday to lube the zippers on the ghetto greenhouse.

Anyway, I cut the bottom of the tube, dumped the graphite down the drain, used a q-tip to swap out as much graphite as possible, and filled the tube with diatomatious earth. After taping the bottom of the tube back together with some duct tape, I gave the tube a little squeeze. Katy bar the door! I got me an applicator! It distributes a very gentle puff of powdery goodness! Using the tube I was able to put just the lightest dusting of the razor blades of death on the UNDERSIDE of the leaves.

I was so excited that it worked that I had to share right away. No muss, no fuss!

I also found one of the little green buggers while I was doing this and gleefully squashed him dead. Thanks to everyone, again, for your input. It's so nice to have a varied source of advice when confronting a problem. You folks are great.

Did I mention the sun is really strong here? 10:00 A.M and the temp inside the ghetto greenhouse was 87 and rising. RH at a measly 25%... Rigged a fan blowing cool air from inside the house into the greenhouse, dumped a bunch of water on the outdoor carpet that is the floor of the deck and misted the walls of the greenhouse with water. After half an hour I'm down to 83 and RH is 31%.

I have another fan that I'm going to suspend from the top of the green house and use to drive hot air from the top of the tent out into the great outdoors. By running the swamp cooler I can blow cool air out of the house and into the greenhouse. The greenhouse also came with a clip on sunshade I can put over the top - but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

We'll see how conditions hold out during the day... Currently it's 61 degrees on the shady side of the house. Forecasted high is 79 with 0%chance of rain.

This project sure does keep me busy. :ganjamon:

79 degrees and 36% now and I haven't had to kick in the swamper. This is going to work. As we march toward the holiday season and the days get cooler I can close both doors and will have a nice light warm daytime environment. In the meantime I can keep it cool. When the weather is bad they can hang out in the stealth cab or veg box.

Both the veg box and flower cab are tested and work well. There is adequate ventilation, a big scrubber for when things get stinky, and plenty of lighting. I have a soil mix I'm happy with, a solid feeding regimen in place, a selection of genetics in the form of seeds in the freezer, and plants that have been doing great except for some munchers. I hope I have them licked.

I owe a ton of gratitude to the members of this forum. You folks have helped me make countless decisions as I put my small personal grow into action. I've been able to study both the triumphs and tribulations of so many people and it's been invaluable.

I've been thinking, though, that stealth is a key word in the title of my thread. My whole grow is built around stealth. How stealthy is it posting on the Internet? For that reason, I think I'll leave this thread active for a day or two longer in case anyone wants to browse it and see what I've done. Then I think I'll ask to get it moved to abandoned journals where it'll be mired in abundant obscurity and slip into the shadows.

:Namaste::peace::thanks::thanks::goodluck::adore::rocker::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Thanks Jay and Canna

I'll be around for a day or two more in case anyone has questions about my setup or anything - least I can do since I've gotten so much from the community.

I think I just got excited because it took a few months to do all the research and get set up. I never talked to anyone about what I was doing. I guess I just needed to show what I'd done. Stealth and Internet posting don't quite match up, though...

Just got back from Wet Fart where they have the garden clearance sale going on - shutting down the garden center for the winter. Got a 3 gallon Russian sage for four bucks and planted it in a ten gallon fabric pot. It should overwinter fine in the green house so long as I watch out for a major cold snap that freezes the roots. I got a rosemary that should be fine, too, in a five gallon. I also got three colors of hearty mums transferred into 1 gallons. The neighbor gave me some oregano and basil that she was going to toss - transplanted those into bigger pots. And last but not least, I planted bush beans, onions, a couple of different lettuces, and kohlrabi in a starter tray. Now the ghetto greenhouse will not look odd and out of place if someone sees it while the plants are stored in the stealth cabs.

Right now it's 76 degrees and 42% RH in the ghetto house with the two fans running and the swamp cooler on low. If I zip both doors closed and shut off the fans it starts getting warm in a hurry. I'm stoked this is going to work so well. That Russian stage is very stinky even though it looks half dead. Between the sage, oregano, rosemary, I should get some decent stink cover.

We will be getting frost anytime, so I'm bringing in my oregano, basil and rosemary in tomorrow night and putting them in an extra grow spot I have set up downstairs. This will be the first winter that I don't have to buy that wilted mucky junk from the produce section in the stores. Gonna love my fresh winter herbs. :kiss: My sage did not fare well this year, so rather than fight it...I'll toss it. I have more important plants to nurse. LOL

Hooray for you Canna! One of the things I LOVE about the ghetto greenhouse is that I can use it to play with all kinds of fun plants.

I've been feeling a little flaky today because I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the realization that what I'm doing is LEGAL...

I live in an MMJ state and I have a script. But hell, I've been using MMJ for decades, and I've always had to keep it on the down low. Apart from one jaywalking incident when I foolishly submitted to a search back when I was a minor ( I got busted for having a roach ) I've always avoided confrontation with LEA.

I've been mulling it over all day - so long as I don't violate my plant count, I'm ok. Then I realize that I've said in my journal that I want to do a twelve plant SOG on my next grow.... Whoops! I would really like to try that. I have a little mad scientist in my genes.... Why would I ruin a good thing I got going on by violating my count?

Heck, my count isn't great, but what do I really need? I can tell you straight out that I can get by on an ounce every 60 days... If I have more I'll get reckless and start doing things like rolling a big splif and tossing half in the trash. I don't feel the need to smoke more than I already do. I have zero interest in sharing or making any kind of profit. I just want to have strains that do me good and avoid the hassles of procuring it.

As an old fart, I'm well connected with long time loadies. Even when I could get the herb from a dispensary or collective I found that I could do better on the black market most of the time...

My son became a MMJ patient in Cali. He took the train out to visit last summer. I told him to hit the dispensaries and bring me the good shit. The weed I had blew away what he purchased on the dispensary market! It didn't come from a dispensary. It came from someone who had been growing cannabis for thirty years on the down low... About six months ago my now retired friend moved to Colorado. I wasn't exactly left "high and dry.", but where was the stuff I wanted and did me good?

In order to grow my own - something that I've been yearning to do for years - I had to file an application for a "producers license." I got that! My count is three plants in veg and three in bloom... Soon I'll be able to point the car North and visit some of my favorite places to relax. While I'm there I can buy 1/4 ounce at a time and (hopefully) shop 'till I drop... So long as I cross the state line with under my limit in the trunk I'm golden...

I'd much rather grow my own, though. I love gardening. This setting up my legal grow on a budget has been a blast! I don't want the neighbors knowing what I'm up to. I don't really want anyone to know... Close friends who I've known for decades? Well, they'd probably clap and cheer!:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom