Scarfinger68 - Aurora Indica - Soil - 600W Dimmable HPS - Indoor Closet Grow

on the yellowing, add one tablespoon to a gallon of water, of epson salts. pure mg. without which, they cant feed. i do this ounce each, in veg and bloom. just makes sure they are not low on it. and they do use it alot. many ferts dont include mg. i now am using dyna gro. which does cover all the elements, including mg.

i grew this potent strein. my pheno, was more afphi, and tended twards one central cola, surrounded by a crown of buds. it was great smoke. i dont have smoke that good anymore.....

Yep. I do believe this strain prefers one central cola. First grow I topped them and they didn't like it. This grow I just LST'd them. Well, and I have done more defoliation this grow than I normally do.

on the yellowing, add one tablespoon to a gallon of water, of epson salts. pure mg. without which, they cant feed. i do this ounce each, in veg and bloom. just makes sure they are not low on it. and they do use it alot. many ferts dont include mg. i now am using dyna gro. which does cover all the elements, including mg.

Yep. I hit them with the Epsom once when I first noticed the yellowing :) I do believe it helped. I do add 1/2 tsp. of Cal/Mag each feeding as well.

Thanks for the advice and thanks for stopping by :)

Any chance you can mount your exhaust as high as possible in the room? Hot air rises, so if you can exhaust that air first, you should have much cooler temps. Mine dropped 4* by moving the exhaust and filter to the ceiling.

Temps have been running pretty steady at 80 degrees above the light and 84 under the light at canopy level. I received my new filter and 6" fan. I have the weekend off so I will work on it then.

HPS:

Was running at 75%: Lux: 20 inches from canopy: 50K on center, 28K at edge, temps 84/86 °F OR Full power (600w): Lux: 90K at center and 40K to 45K at edges, Temps 91 to 93 °F

So the question is: 50K lux at 84/86 °F or 90K lux at 91/93 °F? (assuming I can't get the temps any better).

Update:
6/05 (F day 17) Splash of water PH 6.0
6/06 (F day 18) Full water PH 6.8 with some run off.

Pics
P10102644.JPG

P10102592.JPG

P10102622.JPG

P10102631.JPG

Looking good and healthy. So far the only issue is heat. I have a 6 inch fan that I will try and get hooked up tomorrow.

Very nice looking plants Scarfinger68 Im growing Aurora Indica myself with a setup similar to yours. Hopefuly my results are as good as yours

They look great, Scar!
I don't see any heat issues showing on the plants. The fan will always be a definate plus.
:thumb:

HPS:

Was running at 75%: Lux: 20 inches from canopy: 50K on center, 28K at edge, temps 84/86 °F OR Full power (600w): Lux: 90K at center and 40K to 45K at edges, Temps 91 to 93 °F

So the question is: 50K lux at 84/86 °F or 90K lux at 91/93 °F? (assuming I can't get the temps any better).

Decided to run it full power (600w) and watch for signs of heat stress.

Thanks for the comments

I have had the same heat issues when running the 600w light at 100% output, I usually stick to the 75% setting. I use the 100% for the last couple weeks anyway, but lately it has been mostly 75% as I have plants in different stages of flowering in the same closet.

Be careful there Scarfinger. The last thing you want to do is burn all that resin at the top of your plants ;)

I always wondered if the extra heat decreased potency because of ¨burning¨ of the trichomes, will keep that in mind for my own grows, rep+ Kriaze

Decided to run it full power (600w) and watch for signs of heat stress.

Thanks for the comments

I have had the same heat issues when running the 600w light at 100% output, I usually stick to the 75% setting. I use the 100% for the last couple weeks anyway, but lately it has been mostly 75% as I have plants in different stages of flowering in the same closet.

Be careful there Scarfinger. The last thing you want to do is burn all that resin at the top of your plants ;)

I always wondered if the extra heat decreased potency because of ¨burning¨ of the trichomes, will keep that in mind for my own grows, rep+ Kriaze

Maximum power! "She cannot take any more, captain. She's gonna blow!"

I'll see how that works for you, and then do the switch myself if everything goes well

So far so good. highest temp is 93 °F and looks like it is mainly running at 91 °F. Lux readings at center are 90K and at the edges are 45K. Those are good readings From what I have read about Lux readings for cannabis, 75K all around would be optimal.

Quick Guide - Lux Levels for Optimal Cannabis Growth

Life Stage Maximum Good Minimum
Vegetative 70,000 lux 40,000 lux 15,000 lux
Flowering 85,000 lux 65,000 lux 35,000 lux

< 15,000 lux - sparse or "stretchy" growth - plant isn't getting enough light
15,000 - 50,000 lux - good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth
45,000 - 70,000 lux - optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage
70,000 - 85,000 lux - a lot of light, some strains thrive at this light level, but some plants lose their top leaves early under this light intensity, especially plants that are not resistant to heat/light (like many indicas)
> 85,000 lux - at this light intensity, you've hit the plant's "saturation point" which means your plant can't use all the light

:peace:

Since the last update:
6/08 (F day 20) Droopy leaves: Full water with ½ tsp of Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom/per gallon. Looks like they need water about every 2 days.
6/10 (F day 22) Watered with 1.5 tsp/gal Big Bloom, 1 tsp/gal Grow Big, 1 tsp Tiger Bloom, 0.5 tsp Cal/Mag, 0.5 tsp Silicon Solution, 1 tsp Tomato Thrive
6/11 (F day 23) Watered with 1.5 tsp/gal Big Bloom, 0.5 tsp/gal Grow Big, 1 tsp Tiger Bloom, 0.5 tsp Cal/Mag, 1 tsp Tomato Thrive
6/13 (F day 25) Watered with 2 tsp/gal Big Bloom, 1 tsp/gal Grow Big, 1.5 tsp Tiger Bloom, 0.5 tsp Cal/Mag, 1 tsp Tomato Thrive
6/14 (F day 26) Plain water 6.8/7.0 PH with run off. Trimmed up the lower branches, ie lolly-popping but probably not as aggressive as some would do.

Turned the HPS down from full (600w) to 75% (~450w). The heat was getting up to 93°F and I think for the 1 gallon pots that 450 watts will be plenty of light, plus the temps are lower at approx. 88 at its hottest.

New filter in a temporary placement. I will put it up on the ceiling next week and place the fan in the attic so it pulls through the light instead of pushes.

Pictures: day 26 of flower
P10102673.JPG

P10102684.JPG

Flash
P10102694.JPG

no flash
P10102701.JPG

after slight lolly-popping
P10102731.JPG

P10102722.JPG

Buds forming nicely
P10102714.JPG

P10102744.JPG

:peacetwo:

Well Scarfinger it seems things are working both ways. I'm keeping my eye on you ;) lol. Things are looking great over there and it's good to see those ladies are offering up their fruits :) The sooner you get that carbon scrubber exhaust as high as you can the quicker those temps will be much more bearable. Nice update and looking forward to more. All the best :thumb:

heat rises. so. if you have your intake up at top of room, it will remove the warmest air. i did this. and cut about 8 degrees. also, the building is a torch down roof. black. a heat magnet. i got some of that roof coat, that is 87% reflective. i dropped ten degrees. run your ducting from the filter intake, up to the top of the ceiling. and see if that helps. hope this helps. i grew aurora. it was very dank indica. a bit harsh. but, potent.

heat rises. so. if you have your intake up at top of room, it will remove the warmest air. i did this. and cut about 8 degrees. also, the building is a torch down roof. black. a heat magnet. i got some of that roof coat, that is 87% reflective. i dropped ten degrees. run your ducting from the filter intake, up to the top of the ceiling. and see if that helps. hope this helps. i grew aurora. it was very dank indica. a bit harsh. but, potent.

Just to clarify but don't you mean exhaust instead of intake? :thumb:

I am pretty sure he means exhaust. Which I do plan on putting it up at the ceiling. I was just a little to lazy to do it yet. Will work on it Monday.

Quick update:

Changed out my 4" ducting inside the grow room to 6 inches. Which has improved the exhaust but I am still limited by a 4" exhaust hole in the roof. The rubber will hit the road around 45 to 50 days into flower when it gets stinky in there. Also changed the fan from pushing to pulling air. I like the pulling much better. Carbon particles had collecting inside the light with the pushing set up and air was being blown out the hinges. Pulling set up has cleared all the particles and seems much better overall.

Needing water ever 2 days. I have been mixing it up with only a half watering 2 days in a row every now and then.

6/16 (F day 28) Plain water 7.0
6/17 (F day 29) Watered with 1.5 tsp/gal Big Bloom, 1 tsp/gal Grow Big, 1.0 tsp/gal Tiger Bloom, 0.5 tsp/gal Cal/Mag, 1 tsp Tomato Thrive (6.8 PH) (just a splash each, approx. ½ gallon total)

Pics:
New exhaust and filter set up
P10102762.JPG

P10102772.JPG

P10102782.JPG

Day 29 of flower
P10102792.JPG

Buds are starting to have a musky smell in the room when I open the door.

:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom