Seraphim's Strawberry Diesel - Mineralized Supersoil - LED - Indoor Grow

Seraphim

Hello 420Mag Friends!

:welcome:

Welcome to my third 420Mag grow journal.

What strain is it?..................Holy Smoke Seeds STRAWBERRY DIESEL
Indica, Sativa or Hybrid?........50% Sativa / 50% Indica. (NYC Diesel x Strawberry Cough)
Veg or Flower stage?.............Flowering as of last night
Indoor or outdoor?................Indoor
Soil or Hydro?......................Mineralized SUPERSOIL!
What is in your mix?
........................................Black Gold Base
........................................Bat Guano
........................................Bone Meal
........................................Blood Meal
........................................Epsom Salt
........................................Powdered Humic Acid
........................................Kelp Powder
........................................Alfalfa meal
........................................Azomite
........................................Dolomite lime
........................................Mycorrhizal Fungi-Endo Fungi(134sp per gram)
........................................Worm castings
........................................Extra Perlite

Additional Component: 6-5-3:
........................................Calcium Carbonate - 6 parts
........................................Soft Rock Phosphate – 5 parts
........................................Gypsum – 3 parts

Moistened with distilled water and composted or “cooked” for well over 90+ days.

*6-5-3 applied at 1-Tbls per Gallon of Supersoil.
(10 gal of supersoil = 10 Tablespoons)

What size pot?....................3Gal VEG => 10 Gal Smart-Pot for Flower
Size of light?.......................Advanced LED Diamond Series XML-350 LED
Is it air cooled?...................Yes. Unit comes with 4 internal fans
Size of room/cab.................Veg = 22” X 36” X 65” Bloom = 32”X 32” X 65” tent
Temp of Room/cab?.............75F
RH of Room/cab?.................30% to 40%
PH of media or res?..............6.2
Any Pests?.........................None
Watering Schedule?.............As necessary

From seed to today: During Strawberry Diesel’s veg state the soil was composed of Fox Farm Ocean Forest amended with about 8 cups of Earth Worm Castings with a dash of dolomite lime in there for good measure. Plenty of perlite ensured good drainage and she veged a good 7 weeks or so in a 3 gallon container with that soil. On 12/7/2014 I transplanted her into her new home in a 10 Gal smart-pot filled with mineralized supersoil. She remained in veg there until last night when I fliped her. I wanted to allow her to get a little older and larger before flipping her to make sure I grow a large enough plant that will be able to take advantage of most of the 10 gallons of supersoil in that container.

A first: This is my first Supersoil grow.

Adding the 6-5-3 to it makes it Mineralized Supersoil. And maybe it is because I am a big dork, but I love the way that sounds. Mineralized Supersoil! Holy cow! This is going to be good! Hehe.

A couple of new toys…

Got the DS-XML-350 LED from Advanced LED and I ditched the 2’x4’ tent for a smaller one.

Tent: The new bloom tent is only 32”X32”X65” That is all I need to flower a nice 4-5 Oz plant which is all I need for my head. The 2X4x6.5’ Tent was too big. I will save it for when I have more room or maybe give it away when I find someone who wants to learn to grow. This new smaller tent is much easier to manage. Note that with the topping and all of the LST I do, height is never an issue.

Lamp: Now, you may or may not know, but I absolutely LOOOOVE my MARS-II 400W Lamps. However, I caved in to the curiosity of “If the MARS-II 400 does this good, I wonder what one of these $1K lamps could do!” (I really hope I don’t end up disappointed!)

Soil: I started preparing for this grow with TGA Subcool’s supersoil some time ago and only after the soil preparation started and a plant was already underway when I discovered Doc Bud’s High Brix method. So, High Brix will be the next grow while this one will go through with supersoil as planned. However, while reading Doc Bud’s threads I found this little gem. It’s called 6-5-3 and it mineralizes the soil.

What is 6-5-3? (Credit to Doc Bud for his bit of information)

6-5-3 refers to this:

• 6 parts high calcium limestone (90% or better Calcium carbonate.....NOT CC equivalent!!)
• 5 parts Soft Rock Phosphate
• 3 parts Gypsum

Adding this to any regular potting soil will "mineralize" it and generally improve things quite a bit.

So I added it to the supersoil and allowed it all to compost in there a good long time under ideal temps. I believe the resulting mineralized supersoil should be good! So far she looks amazing; super-green in color and without a single issue to speak of since day one. Mind you in all that time and no nutes ever! Just plain distilled water.

Clones: Since I kicked myself in the ass last time for not cloning Tangilope, this time I learned my lesson. I took a few cuttings of this one on 12/5/2014 and placed them in the OxyClone. I wanted to make sure I had some good, rooted clones of her before flipping her to flower. All of them rooted very well in 14 days and were placed in solo cups of soil and all five of them are looking great!

Training: This grow has been going on for nearly two months now in veg and I have topped and done some serious training on Strawberry Diesel as you will see shortly. She was taken a step further with her training than Tangilope (my last grow before this one).

Bloom: Flowering stared last night and as of now I will start my flowering with a long dark night (36hrs of complete darkness) to start her flowering off on the right foot. I will also give her another long dark night somewhere along the way 3 or 4 weeks into flower (when the buds set) along with the 11on/13off lighting schedule for bloom. I believe these things helped my last grow mature much faster.

Nutes: All of the nutrients that the plant will need are already present in the mineralized super-soil. All that needs to be added is distilled or RO water the entire time. No need to PH the water as the soil does it for you! I tested it and somehow the run off was in range when I watered with pure distilled water without PH adjustment. Of course, with the well-cooked supersoil, there should be little chance of nute burn to be concerned with and large, fantastic tasting nugs at the end of the rainbow. Just knowing all the good things that are in the soil makes me feel really good I can’t explain why. My mind must equate all those good things with amazing buds.

Strawberry Diesel is now sold out at the seed bank where I procured her. I know this strain was hot here in Colorado or maybe still is, not sure. But something tells me I should hold on to a mother just in case.

I will be putting some pictures up in a bit.

Anyway.. Welcome aboard and feel free to tag along.

Pictures......

Here she is in the veg tent with all of her 'children'

IMG_31894.JPG

IMG_31904.JPG

IMG_31914.JPG

IMG_31923.JPG

Here she is after moving out of the veg tent and into her new and final home in the new, smaller bloom tent.

IMG_31944.JPG

IMG_31975.JPG

IMG_31984.JPG

IMG_32006.JPG

Here are the cuttings on the day they were moved from the OxyCloner to the soil cups

IMG_31866.JPG

IMG_31858.JPG

IMG_31875.JPG

IMG_31885.JPG

By the way, the soil in those solo cups is High-Brix soil ..... you know what that means right?!?!? Yup! There will be another separate journal starting very soon for those.

Additional pictures of her on training day:

IMG_301213.JPG

IMG_30166.JPG

IMG_30158.JPG

IMG_30148.JPG

IMG_30138.JPG

Welcome aboard man!

Nice! Did you ditch the Mars II? Subbed and looking forward to a good show.

No way!!! I love my MARS!!! will keep them forever! Just wanted to try this one to see how a $1k lamp does.

To bad PAR meters are so expensive using one to compare lights would be most invaluable to check for a even spread of the off center PAR numbers.

Which 400w Mars do you have the the square one or rectangle ? the square one uses 4 panels and would be good for a square room , the rectangle for a rectangular room.

Hello LEDBud. Thanks for stopping by.

A PAR meter would be nice but we have plants which are better than a PAR meter IMHO because this is about the plants after all. The plant will have to be my PAR meter. hehe.

I have 3 MARS-II lamps. All three are square Mars-II 400 watt version, the smallest Mars-II they have. Two of them are full spectrum and the third one is Veg spectrum only. I absolutely LOOOOVE them all. The Veg Mars is what I use for veg all the time now. I used the full spectrum MARS-II400W and got 4.5Oz dry from a Blue Widow plant, 3.7 from Bubba-Cheese and 4oz even from Tangilope. Big, dense buds. And that was pretty much one lamp to one plant each time.

The black square lights , Nice set up. I will be using two 144x 3w LED 400w panels (232w) for flower and one 300w (180w) for veg. I also bought a 4th 165w (90w) LED for fill where ever its needed at the time , grow or flower. All of them Mars old style or type.

I agree with you , the proof will be in the pudding !

Welcome aboard Sir LA!! Glad to have you around these parts and thank you! The training I did on her was very much inspired by your FLUX technique although I don't think have the patience to do a true FLUX.

LEDBud, you should be good to go. I have not tried the ones you got but others here have with good results. These MARS LEDs produce just fine as long as the plant's other needs are well taken care of.

Happy Lazy Stoney Sunday everyone!

:420:

Thank you SweetLeef and welcome aboard!

Hiya Seraphim. Brilliant and really really nice journal sir. Well done and thank you for sharing this with us. Excellent quality pictures and very well presented with tons of awesome information already. I've got my season ticket for this adventure! Happy winter solstice Seraphim and all! Cheers

:high-five: :hookah:

Welcome my friend!! :welcome: And happy winter solstice to you as well!

Lurking along - everything looks Top Notch as usual my friend! :peace:

Thank you and great to hear from you & have you by my friend!! Hope all is well.

A quick update with pictures.

Strawberry Diesel looked quite perky this morning when the tent was first opened after the first long-dark-36hr-night. She seems a little taller too.

She is in need of a good trim but I will wait until it the buds set before doing that.

IMG_32105.JPG

IMG_32116.JPG

IMG_32127.JPG

IMG_32137.JPG

IMG_32146.JPG

IMG_32156.JPG

Cheers and thanks for stopping by!

:Namaste:

Hiya Seraphim. Beautiful pictures and update. Not that I've seen a lot of reveg results but yours is bar none the best and healthiest I've ever seen. Well done sir and thank you for sharing this endeavor. She is absolutely gorgeous. Love her looks and how you are growing her much to ponder and learn here. Best to you Seraphim!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom