This is too easy.
It really is- if you can pour water out of a jug, you can grow in a SIP...
And you don't even have to do that very often with those large reservoirs!
Plants look exceptional, Maritimer!

Hiya Shed!

I am seriously considering a SIP container for my outside summer grow and this design looks very doable for me.
I'll use Fox Farms Trio nutes.

My brother wants to grow so I may build a pot for him using Grow Dots for the nutes. He'll need something very easy for his first grow. The SIP bucket will simplify watering, and the Grow Dots will simplify nutes. I'll give him some SNS-209 to add to the water to combat bugs and I'm thinking he will be golden.

Thoughts?
Sorry to take so long to get back here Grateful! I haven't seen a SIP done outside personally but I figure if @FelipeBlu can do hempy in his backyard then a SIP should be doable! I'd make sure the outside was white to keep the water from boiling in the res though, given your heat up there. :)

And @Carcass has done really well with Dots in his SIP with the addition of Purpinator as they get further into flower. Though I'd hold off on the SNS until the roots are mature and the plant can take it. Rosemary oil can be hard on young roots.

Sorry to take so long to get back here Grateful! I haven't seen a SIP done outside personally but I figure if @FelipeBlu can do hempy in his backyard then a SIP should be doable! I'd make sure the outside was white to keep the water from boiling in the res though, given your heat up there. :)

And @Carcass has done really well with Dots in his SIP with the addition of Purpinator as they get further into flower. Though I'd hold off on the SNS until the roots are mature and the plant can take it. Rosemary oil can be hard on young roots.
Good to know - thanks!

Hi everyone,

I finally have time and space to try SIP and I wanted to pass this see if it would work:

image.jpg

6gallon bucket inside containing a 2 gallons white bucket (water reservoir) and up top a 8 gallon bucket with the plant.

image.jpg

I can access the water reservoir by lifting the plant bucket.

Looking to try this for one of my autos.

Highya Emmie,

Love your setup. Is that a water filter (white canister-like) for chlorine? Strawberries look great. Happy Smokin'

Here's another plug for the good ole GroBucket insert. Emmy (FastBuds Green Crack Auto) was in a 5G bucket with a GroBucket SIP insert. I fed her @Remo Nutrients for most of flowering (all through the res, never top-watered) and then she went through an 11 day drought. She went 101 days in total and ended up yielding 230g (8.1 oz) from a 100w AeroLight on a 20/4 schedule in the @VIVOSUN Auto Oasis.

#Vivosun #LoveWhatYouGrow

Hi everyone,

I finally have time and space to try SIP and I wanted to pass this see if it would work:

image.jpg

6gallon bucket inside containing a 2 gallons white bucket (water reservoir) and up top a 8 gallon bucket with the plant.

image.jpg

I can access the water reservoir by lifting the plant bucket.

Looking to try this for one of my autos.
Hmmm. Not sure I follow your design. How are the soil and water connected? And describe your air gap.

Hmmm. Not sure I follow your design. How are the soil and water connected? And describe your air gap.

Reference to your opening statement;
A SIP is a grow pot structured with some sort of grow mix above, a water reservoir below, and and air chamber in between them. This air chamber and the constant availablilty of water and nutrients are what I believe lead to the incredible results these pots produce. Every plant I've grown in these has been healthier, happier and bigger than those in non-SIP containers. They are great for new growers since they take the guesswork out of watering which is one of the main challenges new growers face, but experienced growers also use them to great effect

I have a soil medium on top,
A water reservoir at bottom accesible to root coming from top, and there is air in between.
The pot containing the reservoir is empty (or full of air).

I fill the reservoir by lifting the pot with the plant (like you would on a DWC setup)

I bypass the mesh by making extra holes at the bottom of the pot with soil and the pvc pipe to fill the reservoir is bypassed by lifting and putting the water.
Ther is less than an inch between the pot with soil and the water res.

I cover the basic that you state on your opening post.

Thoughts??

image.jpg

I fed her @Remo Nutrients for most of flowering (all through the res, never top-watered) and then she went through an 11 day drought.
Awesome plant there @LKABudMan
After the drought did you still feed nutes or did you shift to plain water or flush at any time?

Awesome plant there @LKABudMan
After the drought did you still feed nutes or did you shift to plain water or flush at any time?
Thanks HH, she got plain water for 7 days before the drought and 10 days after.

Did it drought? as I've tried.. but no droop ever showed, even after three weeks of empty res... then I finally just harvested and digging up the pot everything was still so moist and fresh.
Oh she droughted all right. By the 5th or 6th day she was out of water and all of her fans shriveled up. I gave her small rescue drinks to make it to 11 days.

A water reservoir at bottom accesible to root coming from top, and there is air in between.

I fill the reservoir by lifting the pot with the plant (like you would on a DWC setup)

I bypass the mesh by making extra holes at the bottom of the pot with soil and the pvc pipe to fill the reservoir is bypassed by lifting and putting the water.

Thoughts??

image.jpg
Ok, but you'll need a connector piece of soil between the two to link them up. Some use something like a net pot hanging down between the bottom of the top pot and extending down through the air gap to the bottom of the reservoir, others like @ReservoirDog and @Emilya Green use a column of soil contained in a piece of 4" drainage piece set vertically.

This connector pot/column of soil will connect the soil above with the water below and sit directly in the water but will be surrounded by the air gap.

There is a video on page two of this thread in my design post that shows how to build that two bucket design.

Built they way you show, the roots will never grow through the air gap by themselves to access the water.

Did it drought? as I've tried.. but no droop ever showed, even after three weeks of empty res... then I finally just harvested and digging up the pot everything was still so moist and fresh.
Hmmm. Then you didn't get the drought response from the plant. If you can go 3 weeks with an empty reservoir in late flower, something isn't quite right.

Maybe it was the design of your bucket where you had the hydroton defining the reservoir, but whatever it is that's pretty unusual to go that long deep in flower without having to add water.

Hmmm. Then you didn't get the drought response from the plant. If you can go 3 weeks with an empty reservoir in late flower, something isn't quite right.

Maybe it was the design of your bucket where you had the hydroton defining the reservoir, but whatever it is that's pretty unusual to go that long deep in flower without having to add water.
I thought it was odd also.. as the hydroton felt wet.. I would have thought she'd suck every drop of moisture out of there. As she was indeed very thirsty drinking a lot when I started droughting but no droop showed up.. she did start to draw from the fan leaves, but I was mainly surprised how moist everything still was after such a long time.

I thought maybe the plant goes into some survival mode where she maximises water efficiency and regulates the pot.. as my res can't really evaporate as I did not drill the holes, only the water channel with the slits.. so there's always some trace humidity there, then she has the layer of hydroton with that web of roots, and a plant can also leech back out of the roots no?
And she still had a lot of unexplored soil, maybe she hit the bottom way early and mainly fed from there and those feelers in the soil are a later reaction happening during that period? as those looked pretty fresh and didn't grab onto anything really. I think she could survive a long time in there.

Oh she droughted all right. By the 5th or 6th day she was out of water and all of her fans shriveled up. I gave her small rescue drinks to make it to 11 days.
2.3g/WATT .... is an excellent result. Success like this requires a serious commitment to efficiency, and you my friend do not appear to be someone with commitment issues!

Congratulations @VIVOSUN this is a major accomplishment for you as well. Getting a truly global, AI-enabled enviro controller to market is a great achievement, but doing so in the consumer space is deeply impressive. Well done.

LKB, with this setup, and a gravity autofill on your SIP, you could probably complete a grow without unzipping your tent more than half-a-dozen times!

Thoughts??

image.jpg
Yo Danish! Long time... my apologies for that. Not a fun winter. Spring now though! I can't just this moment, but I'll take a closer look at this; and please don't hesitate to private mssg me on here if you want some help or feedback or whatever. Speak soon.

Back
Top Bottom