Morning folks. Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom growers out there. I checked on this girl this morning and noticed the leaves drooping and some green stuff growing in the cup. Soil doesn’t feel or look super wet but I dumped out the reservoir just in case. I’m using promix hp and mega crop. 1g in a gallon of water. Any thoughts on what may be going on

IMG_0590.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

The "green stuff growing in the cup" is algae and grows on and around wet media exposed to light. Not super harmful but better if you don't have it.

The bigger issue is that the roots don't like light so you should try to cover your set-up with something. I use a cup-in-a-cup with the outer one being opaque, but your cut off soda bottle would make that challenging. Maybe make a sleeve out of a yellow maining envelope or something that you could slide that whole set up in and out of? Just don't make it super tight. Or too loose since the idea is to block the light.

The droop is from too wet, too early. It hasn't "caught" yet. These containers develop a different type of root than a wet/dry cycle container will, and that takes time to develop. You can either tough it out and continue doing what you're doing and it'll work it out on its own in 10-15 days, or give it less water for a bit while it converts it's roots which would be faster. If it's an auto I'd definitely go with the latter approach. If it's a photo then grower's choice.

Either way, plant color looks pretty good so you're off to a good start.

The "green stuff growing in the cup" is algae and grows in and around wet media exposed to light. Not super harmful but better if you don't have it.

The bigger issue is that the roots don't like light so you should try to cover your set-up with something. I use a cup-in-a-cup with the outer one being opaque, but your cut off soda bottle would make that challenging. Maybe make a sleeve out of a yellow maining envelope or something that you could slide that whole set up in and out of? Just don't make it super tight. Or too loose since the idea is to block the light.

The droop is from too wet, too early. It hasn't "caught" yet. These containers develop a different type of root than a wet/dry cycle container will, and that takes time to develop. You can either tough it out and continue doing what you're doing and it'll work it out on its own in 10-15 days, or give it less water for a bit while it converts it's roots which would be faster. If it's an auto I'd definitely go with the latter approach. If it's a photo then grower's choice.

Either way, plant color looks pretty good so you're off to a good start.
Thanks az. I’ll rig something today. Maybe add some tape or something around the reservoir to block the light.

She does look a bit puffy- maybe just keep about 1/4" of water in the rez till her roots adapt..
after she dries out for a day or so...

One more time:

I Got 'er done, @Azi!

I started with this last week...a (I think/apx.) 25 gallon plastic planter, and an aluminum dome from an old 80's lamp

1.jpg

I got the aluminum dome drilled full o' holes....
SIP 4.jpg

Note to self: Wear a glove next time, you dumbass!
I Probably should of de-burred those holes...they're a bit sharp...
Wear a glove dumbass...jpg

So here's what's in there:
I plugged the big hole on top with the top portion of a plastic Folgers Coffee jar and lid (the red part)
innards.jpg

The rez holds 3 gallons..
SIP 3.jpg

Now, to make it mobile.. since I'll only be moving this one around on bricks or concrete, I opted for a Harbor Freight furniture dolly...(hard plastic wheels)
If I were moving it on the lawn, I'd of built some of @BeezLuiz ' nice plant movers...but, on the concrete, this will do the trick...
SIP 1.jpg

And, we don't want it falling off of the dolly...
Done.jpg

And there ya go- just add dirt and water👍
Done 2.jpg

I picked up 2x 32L bags of locally sourced organic, buffered soil, with no added nutes, so, as soon as I figure out what I'm going to grow in there, I'll have a 4th plant going...
She'll get started on Grow Dots, then RxBlend, probably...

Thanks for looking.:peace:
and keep on Sippin! 💚

Highya SO,

Great job with the SIP build! And yes, you should deburr the drill holes! The tub looks pretty big! shuld make for a nice sized outdoor grow! Happy Smokin'

I will wear some gloves when I pack the soil into that one... 😬 🩹

Ha! You flatter me, Bode!💚

I sure should have...but it's all together now, so...

Funny- I poked a hole in my hand today with one of my new sticks- those buggers are sharp!
Kind of a stoner moment thing...:lot-o-toke:

Or, better yet, no cuts!🩹🩹🩹😬
Hah. Blood sweat and tears baby! A little piece of me with every plant.

My Dad used to say "If you haven't lost a little hide, you haven't done an honest days work"...

But, he also cut his finger off on a radial arm saw, so maybe not the best advice..?😁

Betcha he didn't do it again.
He did not!
I, however, cut my finger off at work a few years later- same finger, middle one, right hand...🤔
They sewed it back on, so it's all good now...jeez, that was like 45 years ago..

He did not!
I, however, cut my finger off at work a few years later- same finger, middle one, right hand...🤔
They sewed it back on, so it's all good now...jeez, that was like 45 years ago..
Like father like son. You both lived and learned, that shi hurt. You still got 9.5 good ones left

Back
Top Bottom