Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

Update - progress plant by plant

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The fine weather continues - what a great growing streak we're having with the weather!

I initially thought I may have left kicking off this grow a tad late, but they have surprised me with their growth which I am quite pleased about.

Mulanje Sherbert

She is showing pistils but not yet at the 'pom pom' stage, altho can't be far off.

Frozen Black Cherry

She is the most advanced, not only in flowering but in growth too. Already giving off a lovely scent today when I tried to push some foliage aside to take separate individual pics of her neighbours.

Super Lemon Haze

A slower start from the SLH. I think the training and perhaps a richer soil may have held her back, but growing in the trough necessitates a one for all rather than an all for one approach.

Mulanje Sherbert male for making crosses

This one is just for his pollen, which once harvested I will give him the chop and get him out of the way.

Thanks for swinging by, I hope your own gardens are doing great!
:ganjamon:

They really are loving the warmth of summer down there, and stretching to their hearts' content!
A slower start from the SLH. I think the training and perhaps a richer soil may have held her back
Or that it's a Haze cross. :)
This one is just for his pollen, which once harvested I will give him the chop and get him out of the way.
Damn it can't be long now.... :nomo:

Great growing, Stunger :thumb: Those girls look like they still have some more stretch in them.

Love the photos! Males can look so pretty. There is a lot of pollen in that there plant. :peace:

They really are loving the warmth of summer down there, and stretching to their hearts' content!
Or that it's a Haze cross. :)
Damn it can't be long now.... :nomo:
Thanks Shed! I haven't knowingly experienced Haze before, either smoking or growing it, so I am very much looking forward to this SLH.
Great growing, Stunger :thumb: Those girls look like they still have some more stretch in them.

Love the photos! Males can look so pretty. There is a lot of pollen in that there plant. :peace:
Cheers Stinker! More stretch you reckon? Wow, I had already underestimated their stretch because they were so small for so long, hopefully that means more bud!

Yes, the male plant is going gangbusters with pollen sacks, and anything he makes will be more than I need, and I will be rapt if I can makes crosses with the SLH & FBC.

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The fine weather continues - what a great growing streak we're having with the weather!

I initially thought I may have left kicking off this grow a tad late, but they have surprised me with their growth which I am quite pleased about.

Mulanje Sherbert

She is showing pistils but not yet at the 'pom pom' stage, altho can't be far off.

Frozen Black Cherry

She is the most advanced, not only in flowering but in growth too. Already giving off a lovely scent today when I tried to push some foliage aside to take separate individual pics of her neighbours.

Super Lemon Haze

A slower start from the SLH. I think the training and perhaps a richer soil may have held her back, but growing in the trough necessitates a one for all rather than an all for one approach.

Looking REALLY GOOD 👍

Super Lemon Haze

Plants look great @Stunger !

I wonder if you could segregate the 3 sections of the trough with partitions of some sort, burlap maybe, just to keep the soils somewhat separate which would allow you to have a section of less potent soil for the SLH if youb decide to grow it again. 🤔

@Azimuth Burlap works I tried it although it will be gone after while ✌️
I was thinking just something to hold the three soil sections separate while getting built. They'd stay as individual sections by themselves after establishing, though I don’t know if he plans to rebuild the soil each year or not.

Looking REALLY GOOD 👍
Thanks SOG!
Plants look great @Stunger !

I wonder if you could segregate the 3 sections of the trough with partitions of some sort, burlap maybe, just to keep the soils somewhat separate which would allow you to have a section of less potent soil for the SLH if youb decide to grow it again. 🤔
Cheers Azi! Yes I would think that some sort of partition would be possible, more so if I did it at the time of filling the trough, as I have a fairly thick aeration layer of pumice and scoria rock half way down that I would like to maintain.

But in saying that, I don't really want to be messing around with individual soil requirements for each partition. The plants can be as fussy as they like but that's what they're getting. Also, I had read that the Super Lemon Haze doesn't like topping and training for which the Fluxing may have been quite severe on her. However in spite of her reputed dislikes she now appears fairly healthy and I will be interested in watching how she fills out from this point, because unless growing cannabis becomes legal in NZ there is no way I can have a plant growing 2+ meters on the balcony, well not more than once. :straightface:
@Azimuth Burlap works I tried it although it will be gone after while ✌️
Yes there is that, where over time it would break down.
I was thinking just something to hold the three soil sections separate while getting built. They'd stay as individual sections by themselves after establishing, though I don’t know if he plans to rebuild the soil each year or not.
My plan is to re-amend the trough soil in my outdoor off season and continue to re-use the soil in the same manner I did when I grew in pots.
They're loving trough life! So nice and green all around!
Thanks Otter!

Mulanje Sherbert

Frozen Black Cherry

Super Lemon Haze

That FBC is looking quite tasty. Steady as she goes for the others. Plenty of time to make a song and dance with this fantastic summer. Happy Gardening 🧑‍🌾👏

They're doing great, Stunger-👍
Nice that the weather's on your side, too..
You don't want much wind blowing when that male decides it's "time"..🙂
I know- he's on the other side of the house- but I still don't trust that pollen..

That FBC is looking quite tasty. Steady as she goes for the others. Plenty of time to make a song and dance with this fantastic summer. Happy Gardening 🧑‍🌾👏
Thanks Zeb! Yeah the FBC is ripping into flowering, had her on my hands today and the smell was delightful, couldn't stop myself wanting to inhale them!
They're doing great, Stunger-👍
Nice that the weather's on your side, too..
You don't want much wind blowing when that male decides it's "time"..🙂
I know- he's on the other side of the house- but I still don't trust that pollen..
Cheers Carcass! I plan on pollen bombing my girls with his pollen anyway (selective stems of course) so I am not that bothered that he's lurking around the other side of the house. Last time I made seeds, I didn't even bother with watering the plants and bagging the stems etc, I just choose a still day and carefully dabbed the chosen stems with an earbud and left it at that, it seemed to work great with no apparent unwanted extras. As that was nice and easy, I'll be looking to do that again.
I missed it. A brother has a grow show on, and Ive taken to page 9.

Not to be insensitive, but I feel like arriving right now is probably the best time, all the magic happens from here out.

Good show mate. Maybe these even fit on the balcony this year??!
Thanks Deeve, you're right, from this point with flowering coming on it just feels exciting, especially when outdoor growing I only get to this point once a year. Just have to keep it together and get to the end!

Update - trough pics of the girls and 1 of the male

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It's coming up to such an exciting stage as long as I can minimise any screwups.

From last week to this week, I can see that the Mulanje Sherbert and the Super Lemon Haze have stretched further. I had been incorrectly thinking that their stretch was about finished, but no, I may have to tighten their restraints further.

@stinker made a comment recently that the girls looked like they had more stretch to come and he was quite right, that's the difference of a 'part timer' like me who only grows once a year and someone who grows most the year. I think that I had previously concluded that the stretch was generally finished once the plants reached their 'pom poms', and then in the absence from growing I forgot, it's a trait of mine. 😬

On the 'pom pom' basis I think the Frozen Black Cherry's stretch has finished now, she is the most advanced of the three and has been displaying 'pom poms' for a week and I don't think she has grown taller stems since then.

Both the Mulanje Sherbert and the Super Lemon Haze haven't yet got to full 'pom pom' level and both of them have stretched quite a bit since last week.

I have to remember for next time, that it is not until the 'pom pom' stage when stretching stops. However, if anyone has a better observational point to decide on that then please let me know.

Trough girls - above

Trough girls - profile

You can see that the left and right most plants have got more height since last week.

Mulanje Sherbert male

Maybe just another 2-3 weeks for him to drop some pollen. I will take a closer look in the weekend.

For a 'part time' once a year grower it's exciting from this point! Such a buzz to see them developing buds and being able to smell their unique aromas while hoping such smells indicate something special.

Anyway, thanks for dropping in, have a good one!

Back
Top Bottom