SweetSue's Perpetual 3.0 - The Hempy/HB Hybrid Grow

The longer it takes the taproot to hit bottom the longer you'll have to veg an auto. I don't know how they work in hydro, but in soil you need to know that when the tap root hits bottom they bloom. Longer veg typically results in increased yields.

Any chance you or anyone else has done a sort of auto root height test? Like get a bunch of different sized/depth pots, use a bunch of the same genetics, and see around what pot height triggers flowering around what week. I've heard about that 'tap root hitting bottom triggers flowering' thing plenty of times before but never seen anyone mention specifics. I'm not asking you to do it but you do have a wealth of knowledge and may be able to point to someones journal that has tried it. It just seems like one of them 420 mad plant scientist things to test and document for fun and science.

Evening Sue :)

Well as you know we are legal to grow here but............lmao it can get a lil chilly.......and dark.......lol. You could summer grow up this way and then hop on down to the lower 48 to another legal state for the other 10 months of the year :rofl:

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:

Indoor growing can be done in any climate. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm not adverse to cold temps. One can layer for effective insulation.

Sue

Dinafem actually calls it Dinachem, its based on crossing different Chemdawg cuts.

Gotcha. :high-five: I remember you telling me, but I thought you misspoke the name. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The longer it takes the taproot to hit bottom the longer you'll have to veg an auto. I don't know how they work in hydro, but in soil you need to know that when the tap root hits bottom they bloom. Longer veg typically results in increased yields.

Can ya see the hampster wheel in my mind goin??!!!??:high-five: :volcano-smiley: by the way sue.....that long cured DDA looks yummmmmyyyy.

Any chance you or anyone else has done a sort of auto root height test? Like get a bunch of different sized/depth pots, use a bunch of the same genetics, and see around what pot height triggers flowering around what week. I've heard about that 'tap root hitting bottom triggers flowering' thing plenty of times before but never seen anyone mention specifics. I'm not asking you to do it but you do have a wealth of knowledge and may be able to point to someones journal that has tried it. It just seems like one of them 420 mad plant scientist things to test and document for fun and science.

I'd love to answer that question myself.
I have some outdoor auto growing lined up for spring. Perhaps we can form some opinions based on facts some day.
Testing such things can be a bit challenging. We're talking autos, so seeds... thus no direct comparisons. I'm planning a 1ft vs 2ft pot.

I'd love to answer that question myself.
I have some outdoor auto growing lined up for spring. Perhaps we can form some opinions based on facts some day.
Testing such things can be a bit challenging. We're talking autos, so seeds... thus no direct comparisons. I'm planning a 1ft vs 2ft pot.

To do a proper test you'd need more than 2 plants, but lacking any other information something is better than nothing. To do a proper experiment you (or whoever wants to do a proper test, so whenever I'm saying 'you' from here it's not specifically directed at you) would need to get atleast 20+ auto feminized seeds of the same genetics, so get say all Dark Devil Autos not a bunch of different varieties. Aim to get one of the more stabilized strains so there's less genetic variation. Sure there's differences in pheno/chemovar expression within a strain but it's far less so than between different strains. Because of the standard difference in genetic expression you'd need to grow atleast 3-4 plants per pot size, minimum (obviously more would be better). For a proper test you'd need to do all this in a controlled environment, so indoors, atleast until they start to flower (which is where this experiment ends). Once you've got a bunch of the same genetics you'd then need your different pot sizes to compare pot depth, root length, and flowering time. Best to stick with more commonly used sizes, say 1, 3, and 5 gallon pots, and maybe a few bigger pots. But even then those sizes can vary, like you could get a pot that's much wider and less deep but still holds the same volume. So you'd have to get as generic and universally available pots or get specific measurements, especially height of pot (or specifically height of medium in the pot). And try some other sizes, like a really tall thin pot or a wide but shallow pot. Measure roughly how many inches of soil/medium (I'll assume each type of medium would have different results) in each pot and try to make sure each seed is planted at roughly the same depth (and day) and take note of when they show pre-flowers. And that's just to test the whole 'tap root hitting bottom equals flower time' to see roughly how many inches of pot/medium is needed for however many weeks of veg before flowering kicks in. Stupid needy science.

To do a proper test you'd need more than 2 plants, but lacking any other information something is better than nothing. To do a proper experiment you (or whoever wants to do a proper test, so whenever I'm saying 'you' from here it's not specifically directed at you) would need to get atleast 20+ auto feminized seeds of the same genetics, so get say all Dark Devil Autos not a bunch of different varieties. Aim to get one of the more stabilized strains so there's less genetic variation. Sure there's differences in pheno/chemovar expression within a strain but it's far less so than between different strains. Because of the standard difference in genetic expression you'd need to grow atleast 3-4 plants per pot size, minimum (obviously more would be better). For a proper test you'd need to do all this in a controlled environment, so indoors, atleast until they start to flower (which is where this experiment ends). Once you've got a bunch of the same genetics you'd then need your different pot sizes to compare pot depth, root length, and flowering time. Best to stick with more commonly used sizes, say 1, 3, and 5 gallon pots, and maybe a few bigger pots. But even then those sizes can vary, like you could get a pot that's much wider and less deep but still holds the same volume. So you'd have to get as generic and universally available pots or get specific measurements, especially height of pot (or specifically height of medium in the pot). And try some other sizes, like a really tall thin pot or a wide but shallow pot. Measure roughly how many inches of soil/medium (I'll assume each type of medium would have different results) in each pot and try to make sure each seed is planted at roughly the same depth (and day) and take note of when they show pre-flowers. And that's just to test the whole 'tap root hitting bottom equals flower time' to see roughly how many inches of pot/medium is needed for however many weeks of veg before flowering kicks in. Stupid needy science.

Oh God, that made my heart go pitter-pat! :laughtwo: Somewhere out there are eager lab rats calculating how to pull this off. Lol! It certainly would be nice to see the evidence with our own eyes, wouldn't it? I wonder if they might have already worked this science out over at that sister community dedicated to autoflowering chemovars? I'd be surprised if they hadn't. To be honest, I never asked A-Train while he was here.

Good afternoon everyone :love:

Lunch with my senior buddies and back to the fun of indoor container gardening. :cheesygrinsmiley: Doc lit a lightbulb in my brain last night: in winter the soil plants have communities that sleep in cold weather, so the tents, where temps range up to 78-84, are the natural choice for them. My passive-hydro hempy pots will enjoy the cooler temperatures of the open spaces where temps don't rise above 73. I had a blood vessel burst in my nose one winter when I dared to raise indoor temps to 74, and even with a humidifier running I can't bring myself to risk that drama again.

The Dinachem is days from harvest. The sensible thing to do was switch them, and this morning I did just that. She was falling over so I tied her upright and cinched her in a little with chinelle strips

IMG_88306.JPG

IMG_88314.JPG

She's still actively blooming. It might be longer than I think. :laughtwo:

IMG_88325.JPG

IMG_88334.JPG

Trichomes are showing the flush to cloudy. No signs of amber yet. I suppose since it's primarily sleep meds amber trichomes are something I want to be developing, eh?

IMG_88376.JPG

IMG_88396.JPG

Just a couple more days to go. When she comes down I'll drop CBD CC 2.8 in behind her.

IMG_88356.JPG

CBD CC 3 gets the warmth of the cozy finish tents, under 200 watts of Timber COBs. :slide: This is actually my favorite space to finish a plant up in. They seem to positively respond to these lights in a way they don't under the others.

Maybe it's because I feel all warm and cozy when I peek in here. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart: In truth, it feels warmer and more inviting in this tent.

IMG_88432.JPG

IMG_88445.JPG

She got thinned out a bit. I'll let her stretch before I do that again.

IMG_88454.JPG

IMG_88463.JPG

IMG_88476.JPG

IMG_88496.JPG

Now she's ready for the stretch. I'll get in there again in about a week and thin out the lower reaches, once I can see what new growth won't be up to the energy levels required to continue without ending up as popcorn.

IMG_88486.JPG

Following an inspired impulse the cuttings were placed in their own glass, instead of being dropped into a casual group cup. These are two of the healthiest cuttings I've taken in a while.

IMG_88504.JPG

IMG_88517.JPG

I was so happy with this idea that I took the time to seperate out the groupings. This makes my life easier.

IMG_88574.JPG

I'll be rethink my schedule with an eye to keep the soil girls in the tents until April or May. This changes things up a little. It may be time to start saving some as cuttings or chopping the soil girls back until I can plan a tent for them. The next opening won't be until the Jamaican is done, more than a month out. I have too many plants in veg, ready for a flip, to make that work out right now. Let's see where this goes. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Well, I don't know about you, but that was fun! :laughtwo: Time to have a brownie, take a few hits of Carnival, and move into Callanetics. See you later. :ciao:

I'm more interested in starting a community thread dedicated to our favorite oil recipies, all in one place. Trying to organize this much information as it's still being fluidly defined is too big a challenge for this young lady. :laughtwo: I've been attempting to with my Study Hall thread for over a year, and it hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped. Lol!

I'm back to using the original recipe Nightmask, on top of the stove in a hot oil bath, stirring incessantly for hours. :battingeyelashes: I've tried with the Instant Pot, and although that method does produce the oil faster and with less physical energy investment it makes an inferior oil, IMO. It was euphorically effective, but it tasted so nasty I couldn't bear to ingest it without capsules. The pressure cooker method is good for those who can't deal with hours on your feet over a hot stove or be safe with hot oil processing on a stovetop. It's just not my preference. Taste matters to me just as much. It's a determinant, in my mind, of the quality of the healing oils.

Any of my threads I recommend you come to the current page and ask your question. Someone in the room will remember where what you're looking for is. :battingeyelashes:

That would be really awesome. A thread that contains all the different oil recipes at one touch. Its almost like you would need to do a recap thread separate (kind of what like Dark Scotia is doing with that Doc Kit grow) that people understand is just for referencing. Perhaps even link the original persons thread where anyone with questions could post it on the person's thread instead of flooding the recap thread and clouding it up. Just an idea.

I can tell you for me, its always a pain trying to remember where I read what and who was the person to post it. There have to be a lot of other growers and members out there that have minds similar to mine LOL. Looking forward to see what you decide to do with this Sue.

Garden is looking great Sue! Still not sure how you keep up with it all!

Gotta love the Chems!

LOL, I am curious of how many of your 25k posts are in regards to you liking Chems. I have to say I have read at least a couple hundred of them! My only question to you PW, is do you have a ChemDawg tattoo anywhere on you? LOL I hope I develop an affinity for a strain like you do with Chem!

Can ya see the hampster wheel in my mind goin??!!!??:high-five: :volcano-smiley: by the way sue.....that long cured DDA looks yummmmmyyyy.

Well we are getting ready to kick off a Jack Herer Auto group grow with about 10 growers on here. I believe one of the Canadians has created a pot specifically to test out that Tap root theory. He essentially converted a pot about the size of a 2 gallon pot and cut the bottom out and is stacking on essentially a 2 foot air pot below it. The grow might go a long way in testing that theory.

Van Stank said:
Perhaps even link the original persons thread where anyone with questions could post it on the person's thread instead of flooding the recap thread and clouding it up. Just an idea.

Now this is an interesting idea. I'm getting the thread on opioid withdrawal together and I want it accompanied by a couple sister threads, one to have members recount how they've successfully used cannabis in the withdrawal process and another for the conversations bound to arise from the testimony thread.

While that approach is appropriate for these community projects, I really like this idea of linking back to the member's journal. We're on kinda new ground here, starting threads where we want you to dump particular information, but move the conversations to another location so it stays a pure resource, building fluidly. Conversation is an important part of the process, but it can quickly clutter the valuable information we're trying to share.

Now this is an interesting idea. I'm getting the thread on opioid withdrawal together and I want it accompanied by a couple sister threads, one to have members recount how they've successfully used cannabis in the withdrawal process and another for the conversations bound to arise from the testimony thread.

While that approach is appropriate for these community projects, I really like this idea of linking back to the member's journal. We're on kinda new ground here, starting threads where we want you to dump particular information, but move the conversations to another location so it stays a pure resource, building fluidly. Conversation is an important part of the process, but it can quickly clutter the valuable information we're trying to share.

Exactly! Essentially the exact same thing Dark Scotia is doing for people that have questions using Docs Kit. No reason we can't have people do that for individual topics that we wan't the pertinent information to be easily and readily accessible. What I have been doing in the mean time is I use the Sticky note app on my computer and put the information location on the sticky, such as "SweetSue's whatever recipe is on page 29 of such and such thread". But then the issue I have is wading through 50 digital stickies to find what I am looking for.

It would be a great idea for oil recipes, soil recipes, DIY projects, or anything else. I know its the beginning stages but it would certainly make a lot of people's lives easier.

I agree with van stank. Pennywise does love the chems lol. I'm growing a clone of Sweetsue's dinachem and it is frosting up just like hers!!! My favorite Chem was HSO Chemdawg. Stinky gassy and as dank as can be!! Barney's Farm Liberty Haze is g13x Chem and is absolutely amazing also.

He loves them on a whole different levels that others do!! LOL

Hey Sue, just something to remember. Chemdog has this habit of throwing out new white pistils even in late flower. Always base readiness on trichomes when it comes to the Chem crosses.

This is a great idea Van. It'll be potentially tricky to moderate tho .. For example, that Darkscotia thread is not designed as a Q&A. It's intended to provide a step by step 'follow me' grow with Doc, to demonstrate to everyone exactly what he does. It has become a bit of a q&a tho. That's kind of fine, and Scotia is doing a good job of summaries every so often. Technically tho', Doc has a q&a thread that's for the primary purpose of a platform for 'people who have questions using Docs Kit'. So you can see how easily thee things get away from their parameters! It could work if folks were ok with consistent reminders of where to take discussions and questions. That can be a lot of work tho and Sue might have a ton on her plate already! I mean, I'm sure Sue knows what she can manage - we all would need to be diligent in supporting that kind of set up tho, that's all I'm sayin'. Early on in that Scotia apprentice thread, someone requested that it be kept 'cleaner' from ranging discussions and posts not relevant to the specific project, but that was rejected by others because they like the chitter chatter. Sometimes people will just do what they wants anyway. If anyone can keep it in line tho', Super SweetSue can!

This is a great idea Van. It’ll be potentially trick to moderate tho .. For example, that Darkscotia thread is intended to provide a step by step ‘follow me’ grow with Doc, to demonstrate to everyone exactly what he does. It has become a bit of a q&a tho. That’s kind of fine, and Scotia is doing a good job of summaries every so often. Technically tho’, Doc has a q&a thread that’s for the primary purpose of a platform for ‘people who have questions using Docs Kit’. So you can see how easily thee things get away from their parameters! It could work if folks were ok with consistent reminders of where to take discussions and questions. That can be a lot of work tho and Sue might have a ton on her plate already! I mean, I’m sure Sue knows what she can manage - we all would need to be diligent in supporting that kind of set up tho, that’s all I’m sayin’. Early on in that Scotia apprentice thread, someone requested that it be kept ‘cleaner’ from ranging discussions and posts not relevant to the specific project, but that was rejected by others because they like the chitter chatter. Sometimes people will just do what they wants anyway. If anyone can keep it in line tho’, Super SweetSue can!

Yes, but Dark Scotia has also created a separate thread where he recaps the step by step timeline. That is essentially what I am referring to. And the good thing is that if need be, we could always repost the original posts when people don't follow directions (which we know is going to happen despite our best efforts). And it might take us two or three attempts to find a way we like. But anything has to be better than scanning through some of those 100-300 page journals hoping to find what you are looking for.

Hey Sue, just something to remember. Chemdog has this habit of throwing out new white pistils even in late flower. Always base readiness on trichomes when it comes to the Chem crosses.

Thank you for this PW. :hug: I was in there looking at the way she's tossing out new pistils when it's obvious she's much closer to finish than that behavior suggests. Lol! I'm keeping a close eye on trichomes. I just haven't decided how long to let her go. I usually chop at the first sign of amber. I'm thinking with her go to about 20%.

Yes, but Dark Scotia has also created a separate thread where he recaps the step by step timeline. That is essentially what I am referring to. And the good thing is that if need be, we could always repost the original posts when people don't follow directions (which we know is going to happen despite our best efforts). And it might take us two or three attempts to find a way we like. But anything has to be better than scanning through some of those 100-300 page journals hoping to find what you are looking for.

I've been busy elsewhere and wasn't aware he started a companion thread. That actually might be the best way to go. Open the thread, let members talk all they want, but pull the recipes and add them into a resource thread. I have a good relationship with the moderators. Any pollution in the resource thread could be relocated. It's a matter of making it convienient for the mod staff to do it in a simple keystroke.

This, sir, is very true. I struggle with it as well.

:Namaste:

We all struggle with it Amy. There's so much information lost in pages and pages of journals. It's a chore to get it gathered and organized, but it can be fun to pull off too. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I was just passing through after a session of Callanetics. Damn! I feel incredibly powerful! :laughtwo: Hungry too, so let me get to the kitchen and rustle up a meal.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom