TeSmp's 5 Gallon DWC + 2L DWC-H's + 2L Hempy + 2L Soil

re: TeSmp's 5 Gallon DWC + 2L DWC-H's + 2L Hempy + 2L Soil

So im late ! Read thru glad u killed off the bugs ! Hope there is still room left ? lol
Best of luck to u on ur grow will be watchin and hoping for phat and dense Buds! :thumb:

So the hydro stuff is looking great today! The WWs are Definately slow on growth compared to the purple Kush. They're just getting bushy and the purple Kush grew at least 3 maybe 3 inches over night. I'm liking the hempy the least by far. I just don't know how to water it. I think i put my hempy hole to high, about 2-2.25". By the time I get run off out of that hole it weighs like a thousand pounds, the vermiculite absorbs so much. I haven't watered it in 3-4 days and its still moist. Unless I get some pointers on that I'll probably transplant it into a DWC-H. I also looked at 420fieds journal I believe when I transplanted into the hempy. He placed the roots down near the hempy hole and back filled so I placed the little cube down near the hempy hole and back filled. That's only going to allow the roots to grow up? Oh ya and I can't see a single bug still today!

@Stoned, yeah the mixed spectrum could be pretty cool to use. I was just saying that normal HPS bulbs are just one spectrum so I think he should be fine if he just wants to leave it with just 2700k bulbs. I would probably personally throw in a few 6500k's, I don't know enough to say it would be beneficial though.

@donpaul, as stoned said above maybe it would be good to throw a few in there but I'm not really sure.

Caught up!!
WOOO!

This journal is awesome!
Good reading on DE as well!

need to set myself up with some just to make sure I don't run into any problems in the future!
Precautions for the win!

:thanks:

Yeah the DE seems to be the shit man, it's made of almost all silica so it's really safe for the plants. People even grow in it as a medium. I don't see a single bug today, didn't since I did the treatment yesterday (sprinkle it on the soil). I agree 100% just go grab a bag from napa 7 bucks for 25 pounds and sprinkle it on all your mixes, even better into your mix. Glad to have you, any suggestions on my hempy trouble in the comment above?

So im late ! Read thru glad u killed off the bugs ! Hope there is still room left ? lol
Best of luck to u on ur grow will be watchin and hoping for phat and dense Buds! :thumb:

Your not late Knuckles, just getting started! My other journal is about a week from the finish though :) There's still plenty of room here I'm glad to have you as well!

So the hydro stuff is looking great today! The WWs are Definately slow on growth compared to the purple Kush. They're just getting bushy and the purple Kush grew at least 3 maybe 3 inches over night. I'm liking the hempy the least by far. I just don't know how to water it. I think i put my hempy hole to high, about 2-2.25". By the time I get run off out of that hole it weighs like a thousand pounds, the vermiculite absorbs so much. I haven't watered it in 3-4 days and its still moist. Unless I get some pointers on that I'll probably transplant it into a DWC-H. I also looked at 420fieds journal I believe when I transplanted into the hempy. He placed the roots down near the hempy hole and back filled so I placed the little cube down near the hempy hole and back filled. That's only going to allow the roots to grow up? Oh ya and I can't see a single bug still today!

One of the benefits of hempy is to decrease the watering frequency, hence the "reservoir" at the bottom. Just give it time and wait for the roots to fill the container. With such a small container as a 2L most people have the opposite problem with it being rootbound and needing water 1-2x a day so it is not necessarily a bad thing, but the roots do need a dry break to prevent root rot and intake oxygen. Just poke another hole 1.75" up if you feel it is getting drowned and having slow root growth. Next time you should possibly try a 75/25 coco/perlite or 50/50 coco/perlite? The vermiculite does retain quite a bit of moisture, replacing it with coco could possibly be a better mixture. Twelve12 was trying different mediums in his 2L's if i can remember right. He tried different mixtures of hydroton,perlite, & coco I believe.

I planted my three seedlings at the bottom as well because they were stretchy in peat pellets and were transplanted into small containers. I think it may be a little slower growth, but pimples will form on the stem and new roots will emerge, just as a clone would.

Funny you should say you're going to dump the 2L, as I just did the opposite and dumped my RDWC for the 2L lol

placed the cube near the hempy hole? don't you have the 2L top on top? I think the hempy hole is supposed to be in line with the cap.

Donpaul- mixed spectrum is definitely better. At least throw one 6500 in there since you have extras...

One of the benefits of hempy is to decrease the watering frequency, hence the "reservoir" at the bottom. Just give it time and wait for the roots to fill the container. With such a small container as a 2L most people have the opposite problem with it being rootbound and needing water 1-2x a day so it is not necessarily a bad thing, but the roots do need a dry break to prevent root rot and intake oxygen. Just poke another hole 1.75" up if you feel it is getting drowned and having slow root growth. Next time you should possibly try a 75/25 coco/perlite or 50/50 coco/perlite? The vermiculite does retain quite a bit of moisture, replacing it with coco could possibly be a better mixture. Twelve12 was trying different mediums in his 2L's if i can remember right. He tried different mixtures of hydroton,perlite, & coco I believe.

I planted my three seedlings at the bottom as well because they were stretchy in peat pellets and were transplanted into small containers. I think it may be a little slower growth, but pimples will form on the stem and new roots will emerge, just as a clone would.

Ok thanks for relieving me a little :) The only reason I was thrown off a bit is because the water in the res at the bottom is all gone the next day but the medium is just filled with moisture. I only used 25% vermiculite but it's really fine. Do you mean poke a hole a little lower down? I only have it like 2 maybe 3" from the bottom of the 2L bottle. I think it should be like half that high, unless I'm doing it completely wrong. I'm really liking the performance on the DWC-H, very little maintenance and it's a no brainier when to add water to the res. I also bought 1" air stones so that should even make them better I'm hoping.

Funny you should say you're going to dump the 2L, as I just did the opposite and dumped my RDWC for the 2L lol

placed the cube near the hempy hole? don't you have the 2L top on top? I think the hempy hole is supposed to be in line with the cap.

Donpaul- mixed spectrum is definitely better. At least throw one 6500 in there since you have extras...

Ohh no, I'm talking about switching my straight hempy 2L, not DWC-H. My DWC-H 2L's have the hole up near the cap. The hempy 2L is just all perlite/vermiculite from top to bottom and has a hole near the bottom of the container.

Yeah I would try poking another hole 1 3/4" up from the bottom. I know people who use 5 gallon hempy's and they drill the hole 2" up so I would think you would want the 2L the same or possibly less.

The DWC-H is very cool. I think the air stone will help a lot. It is essentially like your DWC bucket but with an overflow hole correct?

I was thinking of making a larger one for outdoor use but I realized it is pretty much the same as my 5G DWC. If I made a hempy hole and didn't use an air stone I would think the water would go stagnant before it is all used up in that large of a bucket.

I kind of would like to try a 3.5 gallon bucket with a 10" netpot lid and a mix of 75/25 coco/hydroton with a hempy hole (overflow hole) an inch or so below the netpot and an air stone. It would be a hybrid, 3.5 gallon bucket with top half mostly Coco, and aerated water on the bottom half like a DWC. Sounds like an experiment for my next grow

Twelve12 was trying different mediums in his 2L's if i can remember right. He tried different mixtures of hydroton,perlite, & coco I believe.

Only had two different variations of grow medium; hydroton (on top and on bottom) with coco, and 100% coco. :Namaste:

Yeah the DE seems to be the shit man, it's made of almost all silica so it's really safe for the plants. People even grow in it as a medium. I don't see a single bug today, didn't since I did the treatment yesterday (sprinkle it on the soil). I agree 100% just go grab a bag from napa 7 bucks for 25 pounds and sprinkle it on all your mixes, even better into your mix. Glad to have you, any suggestions on my hempy trouble in the comment above?

Gonna have to go look into that stuff... :)
sounds like it would work good. :)

Gonna have to go look into that stuff... :)
sounds like it would work good. :)

Yeah it seems to be working great! Haven't seen one of them since I did it!

Yeah I would try poking another hole 1 3/4" up from the bottom. I know people who use 5 gallon hempy's and they drill the hole 2" up so I would think you would want the 2L the same or possibly less.

The DWC-H is very cool. I think the air stone will help a lot. It is essentially like your DWC bucket but with an overflow hole correct?

I was thinking of making a larger one for outdoor use but I realized it is pretty much the same as my 5G DWC. If I made a hempy hole and didn't use an air stone I would think the water would go stagnant before it is all used up in that large of a bucket.

I kind of would like to try a 3.5 gallon bucket with a 10" netpot lid and a mix of 75/25 coco/hydroton with a hempy hole (overflow hole) an inch or so below the netpot and an air stone. It would be a hybrid, 3.5 gallon bucket with top half mostly Coco, and aerated water on the bottom half like a DWC. Sounds like an experiment for my next grow

K will do, I already watered it today before I saw your comment but I will next time! Can't wait to get the air stones in there. The Purple Kush is just taking off like crazy. Experiments are awesome! I was thinking about taking my chilli plants and placing them in DWC-H's and placing them in it and throwing them outside.

Mini Update

Alright everyone here's a mini update. I started off the day flushing the 2 big WW's for there second time. I think maybe one more flush Wednesday and chop Friday-Sunday (other journal). I then checked the pH of all the reservoirs and they were all at 5.8 haven't changed since I changed the reservoirs out Wednesday. The ppm has went up because I keep topping with nute water but that's fine because I'll be upping the ppm next Wednesday anyways (it's at 930 ppm). The roots are all coming in well especially on the 5 gallon DWC, however, the plant on the 5 gallon is growing the least. It is getting it's new tops though. The FIM is still growing well and your just able to see all the tops coming in, they're an inch-inch and a half. The DWC-H purple kush is taking off, it's grown 4" in the last 2 days alone. Giesel looks and smells freaking ridiculous! :) Other plants are at day 10.

DWC-H White Widow:

IMG_10708.jpg

DWC-H Purple Kush (stretcher):

IMG_107110.jpg

5 gallon DWC - White Widow:

IMG_10736.jpg

IMG_107210.jpg

Giesel day 32

IMG_10746.jpg

K will do, I already watered it today before I saw your comment but I will next time! Can't wait to get the air stones in there. The Purple Kush is just taking off like crazy. Experiments are awesome! I was thinking about taking my chilli plants and placing them in DWC-H's and placing them in it and throwing them outside.

Experiments are awesome. I have a 5 gallon DWC and large rubbermaid tub that I haven't even got to try out yet. The rubbermaid tub has six 4" netpots with neoprene collars, I originally built an aero setup with PVC and a submersible pump kind of like a cloner. Except I would put it on top of another rubbermaid that acts as a reservoir so the roots don't sit in the water. I never bought the second rubbermaid tub so I need to get that done or I was considering throwing air stones in it for a large DWC.

I'm hoping I get to test both of them out soon, I might use the 5G DWC for a tomato but I couldn't decide for the rubbermaid tub, I think tomatoes would get too crowded! I was thinking lettuce or chilis but I don't really like chilis!

Your DWC's roots are looking good. That Giesel looks like it's gonna be some great smoke. Already getting crystally and looks like it is gonna be dense! :bravo:

Re: Mini Update

Alright everyone here's a mini update. I started off the day flushing the 2 big WW's for there second time. I think maybe one more flush Wednesday and chop Friday-Sunday (other journal). I then checked the pH of all the reservoirs and they were all at 5.8 haven't changed since I changed the reservoirs out Wednesday. The ppm has went up because I keep topping with nute water but that's fine because I'll be upping the ppm next Wednesday anyways (it's at 930 ppm). The roots are all coming in well especially on the 5 gallon DWC, however, the plant on the 5 gallon is growing the least. It is getting it's new tops though. The FIM is still growing well and your just able to see all the tops coming in, they're an inch-inch and a half. The DWC-H purple kush is taking off, it's grown 4" in the last 2 days alone. Giesel looks and smells freaking ridiculous! :) Other plants are at day 10.

DWC-H White Widow:

IMG_10708.jpg

DWC-H Purple Kush (stretcher):

IMG_107110.jpg

5 gallon DWC - White Widow:

IMG_10736.jpg

IMG_107210.jpg

Giesel day 32

IMG_10746.jpg

Bumping over :)

Experiments are awesome. I have a 5 gallon DWC and large rubbermaid tub that I haven't even got to try out yet. The rubbermaid tub has six 4" netpots with neoprene collars, I originally built an aero setup with PVC and a submersible pump kind of like a cloner. Except I would put it on top of another rubbermaid that acts as a reservoir so the roots don't sit in the water. I never bought the second rubbermaid tub so I need to get that done or I was considering throwing air stones in it for a large DWC.

I'm hoping I get to test both of them out soon, I might use the 5G DWC for a tomato but I couldn't decide for the rubbermaid tub, I think tomatoes would get too crowded! I was thinking lettuce or chilis but I don't really like chilis!

Your DWC's roots are looking good. That Giesel looks like it's gonna be some great smoke. Already getting crystally and looks like it is gonna be dense! :bravo:

I agree, I'm thinking that Giesel wil be pretty fat, it's only just getting to the stage where it puts on a bunch of weight :) Very crystally for 32 days when you see it in person. I love hot stuff so I'm definitely into chilli's! I'm pretty interested in the rubber maids as well but I don't think I'll be doing any of those until I have a lot more room.

Back
Top Bottom