The Frankenbeans Experiment

mrbubbles87

Cheesy title I know lol. Here's the huge/story that explains it. Please keep in mind that this is an ongoing experiment and many of these theories are untested personal beliefs. I'm not trying to promote bad breeding but I do wish to address a common problem many growers run into.

I am a relatively new grower. I have recently completed my first Autoflower harvest and I have a few ongoing plants as well.

During my autoflower grow I experienced a few issues that I think are very common for beginners. Basically taking care of my plants too well by overwatering, over feeding, temperature changes, light changes, extreme LST, and ph imbalances.

Pretty much all the mistakes you can make. Shockingly I was still able to salvage a manageable crop. Out of my 6 plants I had almost 6 ounces of pretty good bud which was my goal for a first grow.

Of course it's not the top shelf bud I was hoping for but compared to the majority of the buds in my local area it's pretty good.

I did have one plant that was close to top shelf. It was my critical jack. Only got about 12 grams dry but she is really good.

A lot of people who have tried my first crop thought it was excellent but I have been smoking my entire life. I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur. Even though I live in a place that has a terrible selection of buds I refuse to lower my standards because I have tried every grade of bud possible and I know how to grade my pot lol. I would grade 5 of my 6 plants 7/10 locally and 2/10 nationally. I would grade my CJ 9/10 locally and 3/10 nationally.

Why do I rate my bud so low? I have very high expectations. I want absolute top shelf meds. As someone who also grows vegetables/fruits I do realize there is a big learning curve to get to the store quality and above. I'm just trying to get there as soon as I can.

The main reason for my low scores is also the reason for this journal. As I'm sure many first time growers know the most dreaded word in growing is HERMIE!

Despite my best efforts of buying professional equipment, researching for hundreds of hours, watching my babies for hours a day and ordering feminized seeds from several quality breeders I ended up with seeded buds.

How this happened I can't honestly be sure. It's been a huge debate on my journal and has even caused some heated arguments on other forums.

I have researched this quite a bit but unfortunately all I can do is speculate.

My belief is that these plants were stressed into hemaprhodistm vs naturally/genetically. There is a huge difference between the two. A naturally occurring hermie is very bad, but a stressed hermie is a failure of the grower vs the plant.

Many growers will argue there is no difference. They argue that regardless of how a plant hermies it will produce seeds that will be hermies also. Some growers say they have tested and confirmed it. Other growers say they have confirmed being able to grow hermie seeds with 100% female ratios.

Here is my theory and why.

My theory is that a hermie seed created due to stress will produce mostly females with a slightly higher risk of hermie vs the original. I believe the seed will only hermie if it experiences the same stresses as the original and by eliminating those stresses (ie. learning to grow better). I will be able to produce nearly all female plants from these seeds.

The reason I've come to this theory is based on my research into creating feminized seeds. Most feminized seeds are created by stress inducing a plant into a hermie. Sometimes chemically, electrically, or environmentally. Then taking the pollen from the hermie and pollinating the same strain but on a different plant that wasn't stressed. The reason I believe they don't allow the stressed plant to self pollinate itself and use those seeds is because they would have a slightly higher chance of hermaphroditism. Also there is a theory on whether plants pass on stress to offspring or not.

My goal with this journal/experiment is to test the seeds that resulted from my hermies and see what I get.

Now the tough part is I'm not sure what I have. Meaning I had 6 plants with 4 strains in a tent together. All of the strains minus the CJ (pulled her before the seeds matured) were heavily seeded. I'm not sure if one plant hermied and cross pollinated the others (this would result in accidental homemade feminized seeds based on my theory) or if they all pollinated themselves. Needless to say I could have some interesting crosses. Examples including:

Blue Cheese x Mazar
Berry Ryder x Blue Cheese
Blue Cheese x Berry Ryder

A lot of people have asked me why I want to grow out these seeds vs buying more. Let me try to explain why.

I spent roughly $100 on 15 seeds before and ended up with hermies anyways. I had to risk sending seeds illegally and my first shipment was seized. Now I have over 100 seeds of 3 different world class strains. Even if I have a 50 females, 25 hermies, and 25 males I'm still saving hundred of dollars in seeds, getting some more practice before wasting more money, and I don't have to risk ordering seeds again.

Don't worry I'm not the type to put all my eggs in one basket so I'll be growing other strains as well. I have several mother plants that will eventually supply me with all the clones I need.

So after that HUGE explanation onto my Frankenbeans experiment! Lol

Last night I planted 4 Mazar's, 4 Blue Cheese, and 4 Berry Ryder. I have them under 24 hr t12 lights in my veg tent. I'll grow them in there for approximately 4 weeks and then move them to my flower tent on a 12/12. I realize this lowers yield but I have bigger plants and the savings in electrical is definitely worth it.

I should note that I made one rookie mistake from the beginning that may impact the success of my experiment. Usually autos should be planted in their permanent container but I planted these in small nursery seedling pots. I could cut the bottom off or just transplant them. I didn't have the room and didn't want to risk the space/soil when I don't even know if the beans will sprout yet lol.

Typically from what I've read the risk of transplanting with autos is not turning them hermie but stunting their growth. This means my mistake should only cost me overall yield which isn't a big concern for this project.

As I conclude the introduction of this journal I was to reiterate that these are personal theories I am testing. I am not condoning the use or breeding of hermie plants. I am simply trying to confirm whether someone can successfully use seeds they accidentally created.

I will be updating this later with pics. Other than that it will move pretty slowly these first few weeks while I wait for them to sprout and show sex. Please feel free to check out my other journal in my signature if you want the full story on how these seeds came to be.

Thanks for reading everyone and happy growing! :D

Thanks for the sub guys!

Here's a few pics:

null_zpsf79f3c3a.jpg

null_zps6f815171.jpg

Sorry the delay in updating this. Things have been getting pretty hectic. Mainly I've been waiting for the beans to sprout. So far I've had 2 of the 12 seeds sprout. I think this is either due to the seeds needing to set longer before planting or more likely I neglected them. The soil their in has been drying out quickly and I've been slow to water it. Oh well I'll see what happens in the next few days and replant if I need to. That's one great thing about this experiment is I have PLENTY of seeds for once :D

Here's a pic. Sorry it's tough to get in there and take a pic but at least you can see the tops of the 2 sprouts so far.

null_zpsf618cf18.jpg

Frankenbeans update:

Hey guys,

Haven't been doing much with this experiment right now. Just have a lot of other plants and other stuff going on.

I did only end up with 2 sprouts out of my first 12 seeds. I'm putting this down to grower error as they were severely neglected.

For now I'm just going to grow these two sprouts. Don't worry I still plan on doing a full multiple plant experiment in the future. I will document these two plants in this thread.

My two sprouts were one blue cheese and one Berry Ryder unless they've been crossed with something in which case they could be pretty interesting. As you can see by the pics they are very small for their age but they both look healthy so I'm happy. At this point yield isn't a concern just sex and bud quality are what I'm looking to test with these two.

null_zpsa8b9e01c.jpg

null_zps072fbeff.jpg

null_zpse178a4a3.jpg

null_zps57595e3f.jpg

Hey guys, Sorry I haven't updated this much. Have a lot of stuff going on right now. These two plants are now in my flowering tent. They are stunted due to me transplanting them but they both are healthy and female so far. I've decided to track them on my regular journal for now. If they turn out good I'll come back on here and do a SOG style with 1gal pots to document the success of these seeds. So I'm putting this thread on hold for now but feel free to follow these plants in my journal and keep an eye out for the SOG experiment on here in a month or so.

5B3D0818-5F49-4001-97D3-97A5E90CAC33_zpskufhrdsj1.jpg

subscribed. Seeds usually require a period of cold where they go dormant to germinate the next spring, I keep my seeds in the refrigerator. I have tried the General hydroponics Rapid Rooter mat and have had much better germination rates with them. I place the seeds in a cup of pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until a tap root is visible. I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use then place the seeds tap root down in the individual Rapid Rooter squares and place them underneath a light, I do not use a dome on them. I hand water the Rapid Rooter square with a syringe just keeping them moist until they have roots and then transplant to 5" pots with a soiless mixture of peat moss, perlite and vermiculite.

GENERAL HYDROPONICS: Rapid Rooter

https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics Rapid rooter mat

GH Rapid Rooter Mat 98

Rapid Rooter Mat - Access Hydroponic

subscribed. Seeds usually require a period of cold where they go dormant to germinate the next spring, I keep my seeds in the refrigerator. I have tried the General hydroponics Rapid Rooter mat and have had much better germination rates with them. I place the seeds in a cup of pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until a tap root is visible. I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use then place the seeds tap root down in the individual Rapid Rooter squares and place them underneath a light, I do not use a dome on them. I hand water the Rapid Rooter square with a syringe just keeping them moist until they have roots and then transplant to 5" pots with a soiless mixture of peat moss, perlite and vermiculite. GENERAL HYDROPONICS: Rapid Rooter https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics Rapid rooter mat GH Rapid Rooter Mat 98 Rapid Rooter Mat - Access Hydroponic

Thanks for the info! This is the only time I haven't had 100% germination so I'm sure it's the seeds. Probably needed to sit awhile before I planted but hey I got 2 little ones to test out for now. I've got hundreds of these seeds to try lol

Congrats on your harvest of A Orange. Did you take any pics?

:popcorn:

Congrats on your harvest of A Orange. Did you take any pics? :popcorn:

I did under my journal. Should be in my signature :)

This is the journal I found of yours plus you don't have a sig. The Sig is what's at the bottom of each of your post.

Click "User CP" > Settings > Scroll down to "Edit Signature"

It'll make it a lot easier for people to follow your grows.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

This is the journal I found of yours plus you don't have a sig. The Sig is what's at the bottom of each of your post. Click "User CP" > Settings > Scroll down to "Edit Signature" It'll make it a lot easier for people to follow your grows. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hmmm weird I had it in my signature before. Let me check it out.

Should have it fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out. I did have it in there before so not sure what happened.

I would like to change the title of my journal. How would I do that?

Happy New Year

Type the name that you would like your journal name changed to in quotations.

Thanks! I actually need to change jt on my journal. Would I do the same it just post the new title and report it?

Back
Top Bottom