Weffalo's West Coast O.G. First Time Grow: Indoor, Soil, SIP, Auto

So I'm probably gonna switch to using finalpart next time I do a mix in a day or two, my theory is that too much potassium is causing a mag defiency? Not sure if it holds any weight but looking at the plants that were healthy it's easier to see that the yellow tinge is starting from the tips/veins?

It's a good a guess as any so I reduced the amount of bloom nutes in the mix so there's less potassium just for this mix... I should flush the plants but there isn't a good way to do from upstairs in my carpeted bedroom so I'll have to figure out a plan for next time and hopefully they can finish still.

Buds are now developing orange hairs, the damaged plant seems to have the most developed buds and the healthiest plant seems to have very spaced out buds probably due to me giving too much nitrogen in flower. Ah well, lessons learned.

Day 21 of flower:
wwog1.jpg

wwog2.jpg
wwog3.jpg

wwog4.jpg
wwog5.jpg
wwog6.jpg
wwog7.jpg
wwog8.jpg
wwog9.jpg

Still no real idea what this problem is, I'm guessing it's probably a combination of defiencies and why it's maybe not as easy to identify but I don't know. I went with reducing potassium for the last few feeds and increasing calmag but it's very hard to tell any difference yet and I fear it's probably kinda hopeless anyway at this point, just praying they finish still.

I'm gonna start FinalPart (0-6-5) ripening agent in the next feed later tonight and just praying they finish and the bud is smokeable :)

Day 23 of flower (Day 60):
wcog_overview.jpg
wcog_worstplant.jpg
wcog_2ndplant.jpg
wcog_bestplant1.jpg
wcog_bestplant-leaf.jpg
wcog_bud1.jpg
wcog_bud2.jpg
wcog_bud3.jpg

The bud is looking good. Both Mel and Carcass have had recent grows with yellowing leaves. Do you follow their journals? I think there is a chance you may have thrown too much at it, in your efforts to contain it. The bud does look good at this stage.

The bud is looking good. Both Mel and Carcass have had recent grows with yellowing leaves. Do you follow their journals? I think there is a chance you may have thrown too much at it, in your efforts to contain it. The bud does look good at this stage.
I don't yet Carmen, it's tough with so many awesome people to follow and keep up with. I'm sure I'll add their journals to my list when I get chance lol :)

Yeah your definitely right, I misdiagnosed the issue as nitrogen, threw more nitrogen at it, then no nitrogen at all because it was getting worse, then less potassium so the magnesium is definitely taken and that's where I'm at now. In future I'll be much more careful to proper diagnose the issue before trying to remedy but sometimes you just have to give it your best guess lol.

It's technically only got 1 and a half weeks "left"if the schedule is to be kept, I'll do ripening feed and start checking trich in a week or so... fingers crossed!

Good morning my friend, hope you are well.
Couple questions.
You are using sip correct.
Soil above res?
What ph do you have in the reservoir?
Soil is 6.3 but a Hydro reservoir should be about 5.8 ph.
Might have a bearing on what's happening?

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

I don't yet Carmen, it's tough with so many awesome people to follow and keep up with. I'm sure I'll add their journals to my list when I get chance lol :)

Yeah your definitely right, I misdiagnosed the issue as nitrogen, threw more nitrogen at it, then no nitrogen at all because it was getting worse, then less potassium so the magnesium is definitely taken and that's where I'm at now. In future I'll be much more careful to proper diagnose the issue before trying to remedy but sometimes you just have to give it your best guess lol.

It's technically only got 1 and a half weeks "left"
you have a month easy.
Don't be fooled by a seed company estimation. :Namaste:
if the schedule is to be kept, I'll do ripening feed and start checking trich in a week or so... fingers crossed!

Good morning my friend, hope you are well.
Couple questions.
You are using sip correct.
Soil above res?
What ph do you have in the reservoir?
Soil is 6.3 but a Hydro reservoir should be about 5.8 ph.
Might have a bearing on what's happening?

Hey Bill :)

Hope your doing well mate, thanks for checking in. All good here!

Yeah using a SIP, with soil above the res, I'm PHing my nutes to 6.2 before refilling (Nutrient line says 5.5-6.5 but 5.8-6.2 is preferable)

I did read Magnese defiencies are caused mainly from pH issues and it does *kinda* look like it has that? But I don't know, it does look like more than one defiency.

This leaf here is on my best plant (least yellowing) and shows the progression pretty well:
wwog3-jpg.2630633

wcog_bestplant-leaf-jpg.2631529

Literally a day or so apart :D

you have a month easy.
Don't be fooled by a seed company estimation. :Namaste:

Oh do you think Bill? I'm just going from the fact it's a 10 week auto but I've read it can take longer, 4 weeks would mean I should wait for a few weeks before addening ripening nutes (0-6-5)?

I was worried about adding these ASAP so the buds can fatten up but I don't wanna go early and maybe even kill them before they are ready lol

Oh do you think Bill? I'm just going from the fact it's a 10 week auto but I've read it can take longer, 4 weeks would mean I should wait for a few weeks before addening ripening nutes (0-6-5)?

I was worried about adding these ASAP so the buds can fatten up but I don't wanna go early and maybe even kill them before they are ready lol
The buds are still forming.
Those white pistils will turn red and crinkle in when she is close to finishing.
Your pistils look fairly new.
That tells me a month.
We have to get her eating though.
Did you read the question on ph?

The buds are still forming.
Those white pistils will turn red and crinkle in when she is close to finishing.
Your pistils look fairly new.
That tells me a month.
We have to get her eating though.
Did you read the question on ph?

Yeah sorry Bill I double replied, read the one above my last one :D

Ok that's good info, definitely need to try and fix the issue then lol. I was hoping to try and push it through the final weeks as everything seems to be getting worse but a month means they defo can't afford to be losing this many leaves I think.

Hey Bill :)

Hope your doing well mate, thanks for checking in. All good here!

Yeah using a SIP, with soil above the res, I'm PHing my nutes to 6.2 before refilling (Nutrient line says 5.5-6.5 but 5.8-6.2 is preferable)

I did read Magnese defiencies are caused mainly from pH issues and it does *kinda* look like it has that? But I don't know, it does look like more than one defiency.

This leaf here is on my best plant (least yellowing) and shows the progression pretty well:
wwog3-jpg.2630633

wcog_bestplant-leaf-jpg.2631529

Literally a day or so apart :D
I've quoted the reply regarding pH above @Bill284

To summarise, I've been phing the feeds to 6.2, res isn't measured but what goes in is :)

I've quoted the reply regarding pH above @Bill284

To summarise, I've been phing the feeds to 6.2, res isn't measured but what goes in is :)
Roots in a reservoir eat best at about 5.8 ph.
Your missing the lower elements at a higher ph.
@Azimuth :ciao: hope your having a great day my friend.
Do you have a definitive ph to use in the reservoir in a SIP with soil?
We have a girl in need of attention here.
:thanks::thanks:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow

Thanks for the tag, Bill.

I know nothing about pH. Well, not literally nothing, but close enough to count as such.

I think @Buds Buddy might be able to help answer that question.

Thanks Bill that might be an idea, I'll wait for @Buds Buddy to weigh in but might be an idea to test feeding at 5.8 and see if things improve.

On another note I just found a bagseed in some packaged Jungle Boys Oreoz, so I'll be growing that out at some point and fingers crossed it's a she :D

I was having seedling problems and when I put them in my seedling Mars “hydro” machine I took @Bill284 advice and put them in pure 5.8% water. Best seeds I ever grew (also the only one’s that lived 😅)

Me and my mate talking today about Ph a lot. In Coco Coir and Coco Peat (him/me) we’re starting 7.1 out the well. We’re putting in 6.2 with nutes, getting out 5.8 in run off.

The SIP system is sort of upside down so I wonder if inputting closer to 5.8 would work better for you? Did ai misremember or these ones are actually some coco so not pure soil? You didn’t realise to start?

Also Cal mag up. 0.75 per L he prefers 0.5. I ran 1.0. That’s our cure all.

His new biz partner doesn’t want to use any 😅 For me Cal Mag is my best friend. Its first in the bottle for a reason 🤣

I was having seedling problems and when I put them in my seedling Mars “hydro” machine I took @Bill284 advice and put them in pure 5.8% water. Best seeds I ever grew (also the only one’s that lived 😅)

Me and my mate talking today about Ph a lot. In Coco Coir and Coco Peat (him/me) we’re starting 7.1 out the well. We’re putting in 6.2 with nutes, getting out 5.8 in run off.

The SIP system is sort of upside down so I wonder if inputting closer to 5.8 would work better for you? Did ai misremember or these ones are actually some coco so not pure soil? You didn’t realise to start?

Also Cal mag up. 0.75 per L he prefers 0.5. I ran 1.0. That’s our cure all.

His new biz partner doesn’t want to use any 😅 For me Cal Mag is my best friend. Its first in the bottle for a reason 🤣
Cheers mate :)

I'm feeding CalMag at 1ml/L at the moment mate, never stopped with that as I've got real soft water so there's no chance there's enough otherwise. I even upped this as one point but didn't see any change.

They started in coco but that will have degraded now, the SIP is fully soil/perlite mix with myco and frass :)

If it's magnesium defiency then I read that can be caused by excess potassium (which is obviously the case with bloom nutes) so I reduced the amount of bloom nutes on this last feed. Don't know whether there's much point contiuning that as obviously it's hard to see any positive change and I'm not certain that was the issue to begin with xD

Still no real idea what this problem is, I'm guessing it's probably a combination of defiencies and why it's maybe not as easy to identify but I don't know. I went with reducing potassium for the last few feeds and increasing calmag but it's very hard to tell any difference yet and I fear it's probably kinda hopeless anyway at this point, just praying they finish still.

I'm gonna start FinalPart (0-6-5) ripening agent in the next feed later tonight and just praying they finish and the bud is smokeable :)

Day 23 of flower (Day 60):
wcog_overview.jpg
wcog_worstplant.jpg
wcog_2ndplant.jpg
wcog_bestplant1.jpg
wcog_bestplant-leaf.jpg
wcog_bud1.jpg
wcog_bud2.jpg
wcog_bud3.jpg
What does your cool temp go to Weff?

@Bill284 I'm freaking a little about your ph comment. Do you suppose in my LOS that I'm using in the SIP I'm going to have to p freaking h my water? A lot really.

Is @Emilya Green ph'ing in her organic soil grows in SIP? I don't think so. ?

Oi Bill, I need @Azimuth and @Emilya Green for the science but I have to tell you what I believe I've read about that. These plants in SIP drink from the res and eat from the soil. They will be few roots in the rez in the end. Maybe that's the way I see it but I don't recall a need to ph for SIP in soil.
Not meant to be a ph or not to ph thing in general. Just the SIP in soil opinion

I don't worry about pH in my organic grows because I know my microbes and my nutrients don't depend on ph to be active. If I were using synthetic nutes I would count on low to high drift because of the buffering built into the soil. I would think that just as there is a moisture gradient in the soil there would also be a pH gradient with the higher pH being seen in the drier upper regions of the container. I think I would start at 5.8 in the reservoir and feel comfortable that the roots will adjust to the various pH zones that are found as you go higher up in the container. As long as you're in a good soil with some buffering I don't think this would be a problem as long as you are consistent so that the roots can adapt to what they find.

Back
Top Bottom