Bassmans Kosher Kush - RDWC - 1K - 4 Plant Grow

Hey Bass!
You're doing a great job with what you've got.
Hopefully that new ballast is in your sights soon, and those buds take off!
Congrats on the butter machine too bro!
I just got mine last week.
Mcloadie and I are really interested in finding out how to make tinctures with it.
As the instructions are pretty thin.
And I know you have loads of experience making them for your ma.
If you don't post up exactly how you do it in your journal? Can you you message me with how to make a good tincture with the machine for my dad?

and thanks for the reps,
here's some back at cha.
:thumb:

howdy Bass!

sorry to hear about all that guff with the sponsor and ballast etc.. great to see you trooping on with the 400- making do with what you have to push through for your mother.. fkn inspiration man :thumb:

i love your journals, very informative and heaps of detail- great for aspiring growers like me to check out and follow well proven methods of growing with tips on training etc- great stuff and thank you! :cheesygrinsmiley: very sorry that you have been forced to make do with your 400W thou! its happened to me in the past a couple of times and i always make sure i have atleast a spare- but like you say- sometimes situations just dont allow for that! i hope you get the most you can from them /|\ especially when using it for others care.

subbed and reps 100% :goodjob: :peace:

Hey Bass!
You're doing a great job with what you've got.
Hopefully that new ballast is in your sights soon, and those buds take off!
Congrats on the butter machine too bro!
I just got mine last week.
Mcloadie and I are really interested in finding out how to make tinctures with it.
As the instructions are pretty thin.
And I know you have loads of experience making them for your ma.
If you don't post up exactly how you do it in your journal? Can you you message me with how to make a good tincture with the machine for my dad?

and thanks for the reps,
here's some back at cha.
:thumb:

i dont mean to intrude here Bassman but Vick.. was just wandering if you had made tinctures before using other methods??
in my alchemical days i used to make the "primum ens" (=original matter)tinctures every year, particularly the "primum ens of melissa".. eventually it dawned on me to try this method using cannabis, which i did and made a primum ens of indica and sativa... very simply put one takes a quantity of potassium carbonate or carbonate of potash(i made my own using organic grape leaves) and expose this to springtime evening air(left on plates over night), this produced what is known as "oil of tartar". the herb was then placed to macerate in this 'oil' for atleast a full day or upto as long as you desire.. after a certain amount of time i simply poured over an equal amount of pure alcohol(i distilled my own from red wine which would normally take over a year to make the required amount!), you can purchase pure neutral grape liquor i believe, and let sit, shaking every so often as they separate out.. it would turn a dark reddish colour and after a period i would simply siphon the alcohol based tincture off the top(brilliant green!) and repeat until the alcohol would draw less and less tincture out of the oil. this i would then reduce down until i got a concentrated, sweet tasting.. slightly earthy tones, tincture...
my method was quite involved as primarily an alchemical tincture(1 of 7 "ens") collecting herbs under certain astrological signs and cutting them at a certain hour on a certain moon, making my own distillation-sometimes triple distilled, making my own pot carb etc blah blah but the method can be made so much simpler by macerating cannabis in potassium carbonate for a few days, pour over alcohol pure enough to stay separated(vodka is usually preferred) and extract tincture using a turkey baster of syringe barrel- done.. one can further reduce the tincture down but not necessary.
just a link here for an idea and a little history of the ens tinctures, the actual preparation is about half way down the page on the 2nd link, i think the hartmann link should be direct on the ens melissa page:
Paracelsus And The Substance Of His Teachings(fascinating work on paracelsus by franz hartmann!)
Mark Stavish - Practical Plant Alchemy -- Part Two

but simply put(ever so SLIGHTLY over-simplified), tinctures can be made by filling a glass vessel/jar or container with fresh herbs.. and covering with alcohol(or vinegar/glycerin). shake lightly to remove air and seal.. the alcohol/glycerin will extract the goodness.. after leaving in a cool dark space for a week to a month(shaking a couple of times per day) you then strain it through muslin cloth or coffee filters etc into a receptacle and then to finish decant into a tincture bottle or jar. i used to LOVE making tinctures with glycerin as it was so cheap and easy to get but vodka works absolutely fine!

i would be fascinated to read of your guys method using the butter maker~

sorry again for intruding here with this Bass!

Not really an update. Maybe tomorrow.

Questions for everyone. I'm trying to decide on which 1k ballast to get. I had a decent work week and can afford it now. I'm thinking Lumatek, Quantum, and a small thought towards Baddass (Advanced Nutrients unit).

Called the local hydro store, their decent guys and give me great service. If anything breaks on me it's an auto exchange on the spot. They said they are no longer carrying the Quantums in stock. *I think there was a patent issue there and they were copies of someone's unit. They tried the Baddass and they said they got no good reviews from it so they don't have it anymore. And the Lumatek is what as served them well. They always have them in stock and will auto replace if broken. 3 yrs replacement, + 2 yrs pro-rated. Obviously it's also the most expensive at $345 out the door. I can buy online cheaper, but shipping time and warranty become the issue and I hate to wait another week.

We're at day 40 in flower now and I really need to get more light on these girls.

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning hard on Lumatek and at the hydro store locally.

@Alkhemist, Is tincture for consumption or application? I thought tincture was like a topical application for like people with skin cancer and what not.

Since I'm treating mom with Alzheimer's I'm giving her a drink like Bhang. Only issue is it tastes like shit and sometimes she won't drink it even when I mix just 1oz in a glass of milk. I don't tell her it's in there but she tastes it and doesnt drink it up.

I also give away a quart to a friend for her husband when I make a batch as well. She has the same issue with the taste and "choking it down". But they love the effect.

So far I've used 1/2 & 1/2 milk, adding some more milk, and added Vanilla extract, pancake syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon. Anything to try to make it palatable. I make it very strong so only 1 oz or 2 is needed. But taste is the issue.

yea, responded to your pm thanks. Also have heard of Harlequin and it's in my mind to try out.

Edit: I do love the results of the bhang drink when I get her to drink it. She's so much more aware and alive it's amazing.

Not really an update. Maybe tomorrow.

Questions for everyone. I'm trying to decide on which 1k ballast to get. I had a decent work week and can afford it now. I'm thinking Lumatek, Quantum, and a small thought towards Baddass (Advanced Nutrients unit).

Called the local hydro store, their decent guys and give me great service. If anything breaks on me it's an auto exchange on the spot. They said they are no longer carrying the Quantums in stock. *I think there was a patent issue there and they were copies of someone's unit. They tried the Baddass and they said they got no good reviews from it so they don't have it anymore. And the Lumatek is what as served them well. They always have them in stock and will auto replace if broken. 3 yrs replacement, + 2 yrs pro-rated. Obviously it's also the most expensive at $345 out the door. I can buy online cheaper, but shipping time and warranty become the issue and I hate to wait another week.

We're at day 40 in flower now and I really need to get more light on these girls.

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning hard on Lumatek and at the hydro store locally.

Whew found you Subbed. Great looking grow! I always try to shop local.

Hope your hanging that new light while I'm typing this.:smokin:

Almost. Just got home with the ballast a few mins ago. $345 lighter. Waiting on light to cool a bit more. Then I'll replace. Wont be used till tomorrow as lights off just started.

Edit: Raised hood 4-6" and did a startup test. All good. Back to proper wattage tomorrow!

Update

Day 43 in 12/12 (actual 10 on/14 off)

Well we're back to 1k watts! It's so obvious how much 3 weeks+ at 400w hurt this grow, but being back on 1k watts is a relief.

Right at lights on this morning I defoliated. Basically taking all fan leaves that have a stem I can grab. Came out to a 1 gal freezer bag full. That goes into the freezer and gets made into Bhang later for mom.

RH at lights on was 36% kinda low but since these girls didnt bush out real well and low wattage I dont expect a lot of transpiring.

Room temp 74f at lights on. Will get to 81 normally at midday.

PH is sitting at 5.79 on fresh calibration.

PPM is 1070 or 2.14 e.c. on .500 meter

I guess I'll do a res change Monday. In the meantime I'll add back BPN nutrients at crazy bloom schedule.

Most people know that leaves have an amount of transparency. Some folks take that to mean their effectively clear and the light just blasts right through them. I however disagree.

Take a good look at the fan leaves in flower at the top or most light exposed part of the canopy. Notice how many crystals are obviously on those leaves. Now take a look at the fan leaves just 3-4" below those and notice hardly any crystals. This is a major reason we defoliate in flower. Those fan leaves block light even with some transparency. Light = flower, bud, trichomes.

My next grow, Holy Grail Kush is in veg. They're ready to go to flower, but I haven't cleaned up that room for the old 4x4 tent or made the RDWC 3 bucket system I want. I took 3 clones from them this last week. I also have 5 Kosher Kush clones about ready for transplant to dwc and 5 gal buckets but can't move them till the Holy Grail Kush go into flower tent. I was hoping to be setting up 1 month rotations but I am a way off on my timing. The 5 clones now waiting will put me way off so they may get a very short veg period to set the rotation right. We'll see.

Here's today's pics before defoliating right as lights were coming on today:
G7-D43F-12-12_003.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_004.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_005.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_006.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_008.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_009.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_010.JPG

Here's after defoliation today. Can still pull some and do some more bending. Tomorrow.
G7-D43F-12-12_011.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_012.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_013.JPG
G7-D43F-12-12_014.JPG

Update:

Day 50 in 12/12. Time to harvest: 14-20 days.

Long overdue update.

PH: 6.0
PPM 1100 or 2.2 e.c. on .500 meter
Air temps 74 lights off, 81-84 lights on.
Water temp: Consistent 67f

Girls are doing very good and really starting to uptake water/nutrient. The buds are not big, (attributable to the 400w hps for 3-4 weeks) but they are solid and growing. It's really obvious how much they like the 1000 watts. They're getting really frosty and should swell nicely.

I've been lazy as hell. I've been meaning to lower the pvc frame around the grow and lay some more string and bend them all laterally more. But really every time I look at it I put it off. This would allow me to lower the light though and get deeper penetration.

I've got one plant that is a total "runt of the litter" skinny bitch. She'll be lucky to yield 2oz imho. I can't believe how skinny she is.

Yesterday I got a new fan for the 4x4 tent that I still need to put up. Presently I have 3 Holy Grail Kush that are too big in veg and need to go into flower. Actually one of these is a runt too. But I also have a Kosher Kush mother that could be flipped and the runt HGK could be scrapped. I REALLY need to get these into flower. But I still need to build a 3 plant rdwc (I have the materials) and I forgot to buy a new timer for the light. I'll have to start on 400w HPS on the flip to flower but maybe after rent & bills week I can pick up a 1k.

I still need to buy an exhaust fan, filter, timer for the 4x4 tent but in reality with just a timer I could start the flip.

I have 8 clones that are very ready to transplant. 5 are Kosher Kush from this grow. Three are Holy Grail Kush from my girls in veg now. At issue is I only have a 4 bulb, 230 watt 4 foot T5 that I normally veg in closet with and that only covers 4 plants. One option is to put them all in my master closet which has lots of space if I git off my ass and clean it and drop my 685w LED over all 8 in 5 gal buckets.

In either case, I'll have myself in a bit of a spot in terms of timing. They wont be ready to go into flower the way I like them in 3 weeks when this grow is done and the 5x5 tent is ready for 4 plants. If I start 4 of them a little earlier than normal and plan it at week 4 of flower of the girls that are in veg now, then I'll have 5-6 weeks to go on the next 3-4 and they'll likely be too big unless I really manage them well with training. In reality I should but I know I'll procrastinate.

Here's pics of the Kosher kush from this morning at day 50. Flowering period is between 63-70 days on average.
G7-D50-1212_001.JPG
G7-D50-1212_002.JPG
G7-D50-1212_003.JPG
G7-D50-1212_004.JPG
G7-D50-1212_005.JPG
G7-D50-1212_006.JPG
G7-D50-1212_007.JPG
G7-D50-1212_008.JPG
G7-D50-1212_009.JPG

Here's my KK & HGK clones waiting on me to get off my ass:
HGK_KK_clones_001.JPG

Wow I got here the same day you updated :)

Looks nice in there. Grats on the new 1k!

I hear ya on the procrastination. RL has been so crazy, I haven't had time to spend several hours tieing everything down, so all my ladies have been getting is some bending. :winkyface:

Might get a pic update today. been pretty busy and lazy to boot. It's near harvest time!

Back
Top Bottom