Bassman's Master Kush - Blue Planet Nutes - Grow Stealth LED Grow #3

Crazy fans there Bass. I like the photos with both LED and HPS for light, orange-purple is cool. I have seen some buds that grow on leaves, but it is pretty rare. Breed the mutants.

Ok, here's the news on the lighting that I didn't want to go into before.

As you read this, please don't jump to conclusions. Everything has been a quiet process.

As some of you know from last grow, I had a bank of led's take a shit on me. Donnie at Grow Stealth LED (a site sponsor here) sent me a replacement ballast promptly. Unfortunately, in the end, that didnt fix it. We don't know how long I ran that flower with one bank out for sure. I rarely ever looked up at the light itself.

When the grow was over, I sent my light back to Grow Stealth LED. Upon receiving my tracking number Donnie shipped out a new replacement LED. This is the one we see in my tent now. About 5 weeks ago, I got a kill-a-watt meter on sale from rottenoldegg. When it arrived I plugged the new 600w Pro-Bloom LED into the meter. It was supposed to be drawing 550 watts. On the meter it came in at 410 watts.

I knew this was a problem. Donnie and I had spoken previously and I recalled he mentioned he changed manufacturers in China. I kinda figured this was where the problem was.

In the end, Donnie tested some units locally and saw an issue. As a result of said testing, and some correspondence from here at 420 mag, Grow Stealth LED changed their website to reflect 520 watts actual draw which was what was supposed to reflect the new manufacturer and the new ballasts.

He told me he would get new ballasts sent over from China. Obviously it took a while on the slow boats from China. This is also why I went out and bought a 400w hps setup.

The ballasts arrived late yesterday at my doorstep.

This morning I replaced all 10 ballasts in my unit. Nice and clean with the wiring, everything went together fine.

The moment of truth. I plugged in the unit on my work desk with the kill-a-watt meter. Total draw 685 watts!

Holy shit! WAY more than expected!

This is kinda cool and at the same time has me a little worried. Mostly the worry is about heat and the led diodes. That being said, I told Donnie at Grow Stealth LED my results and he was surprised. He feels like they will be fine, he said not to worry, the unit is still under warranty. And I'm going to try to rig up some heat tests inside the unit near the massive heat sink.

I installed the unit back into the tent and raised it to about 17". It's still covering 1/2 the tent and the hps is over the other 1/2. There is some overlap, but not a ton because the led is higher than the hps and the reflector shrouds the led angle a fair bit.

When speaking to Donnie today, he figures the China manufacturer probably installed lower watt ballasts, hosing him for profit. He said he reamed their asses as a result of my findings and now thinks they must have sent even higher wattage units.

Grow Stealth has some new products coming out in the next couple months. I've been told I'll probably be seeing something to test in a future grow.

I want to make something very clear about this:

I did not bring this up on the forums earlier for a reason. I wanted to give Grow Stealth LED an opportunity to find the problem and correct the issue without any drama from the outside. While it took some time to do, I feel like GS made every effort to deal with it properly. What I didn't want to see happen was excessive drama from the forums before GS was able to deal with the issue.

Hopefully, it's all going to be fine now with this higher wattage and my grow is going to be even better than hoped. If I don't blow a circuit breaker that is! I think I'm getting near the limit for that room. But if I do blow one, I'll have to run the chiller and fan off a circuit in another room. Not a big deal.

Thanks SB,

I can't really say it's side by side. In fact it really shouldn't be compared. The LED was putting out low during early flower, then we added the hps, but both lights are in the same tent. They are practically butt up against each other. However, the LED is also higher above than the 400w hps. To further complicate it, because of the reflector hood, it actually shrouds the led reaching into the middle some because the led is higher into the side of the hood. As well, the hps does stretch over the middle more into the led side and is not shrouded in any way.

See my point?

Both "sides" are doing well. In fact the LED 1/2 of the tent does appear to have more trichs while the HPS looks like it could possibly yield more. But it's way too early to say. Especially with the led now putting out 685 watts now.

It should be fun in any case!

Nice write up on the situation Bass. Very clear and informative about the issue, and the process to get it taken care of.

I agree there really is no side by side comparison of how the two lights perform in your current grow. That is a big up in wattage for the led, that should help some. It's interesting to me how the LEDs's are evolving, they do have their positives.

At this point with your grower talent, I think you could throw a bank of T-5's in there and be successful!

I think your mums will like it.

The HPS is helping my grow out I think. Been only two weeks but they are doing great. heat is up, but not terribly high.

I am pretty damn sure quality and quantity this grow is going to be my best yet. But I also attribute much of that to individual buckets with better recirc. Coupled with more total light with both lights in there as well.

I think your mums will like it.

The HPS is helping my grow out I think. Been only two weeks but they are doing great. heat is up, but not terribly high.

I am pretty damn sure quality and quantity this grow is going to be my best yet. But I also attribute much of that to individual buckets with better recirc. Coupled with more total light with both lights in there as well.

Yeah well the mums don't like the heat that thing is putting out! With the LED no internal fan was needed but with this light it's 80 degrees in there and thats at night!! Think I will switch that puppy over to GLR lighting until I can afford a fan and carbon filter

Yeah well the mums don't like the heat that thing is putting out! With the LED no internal fan was needed but with this light it's 80 degrees in there and thats at night!! Think I will switch that puppy over to GLR lighting until I can afford a fan and carbon filter

It really is suprising how HOT those damn floros get. 10 degrees in my tent...

I'm using a 4 foot 4 bulb HO T5 setup in my closet to veg 4 Kosher Kush for the next grow. Heat is minimal. But I suppose you need 8 bulbs for more mothers, and obviously more heat will be generated.

Mini Update, no pics.

Took my morning look in on the girls when I got home from work today. They look great of course. No real issues, a bit warm though. I temp reading on the side of the led where there are slots and near the heatsink says 105-109. On top of the led but not over the fan exhausts of the led, 91-92f. Place the probe over the exhausts fans of the led and it's 82-84 or so.

Temp at the top of the 5 gal buckets, bottom of plants is 77-81. Depending on my household AC cycle it seems.

So I think overall, the heat is in the upper range but not bad. Since I am also supplementing C02 a bit with the TnB naturals C02 enhancer, I think it's fine.

The big news is the buds! They are looking great no doubt. Lots & lots of frosty trichomes all over. But today for the first time I gave a gentle squeeze to one of the larger buds under the hps. HOLY MOSES! DENSE as hell! I gave a couple others a light squeeze and same thing. I reached in to only one of the buds under the LED and it's dense too, not quite as much, but still good.

I am really impressed though with how tight these buds are. Now it's hard to say for sure since I have 3-4 different things going on from this grow, so I can't say why the density is there with any reliability.

Is it the individual buckets medium and recirc being so much cleaner than before?

Is it the BPN Bloom Booster?

Is it the HPS addition to the LED?

Is it the co2 enhancement?

Is it the strain?

No clue, but I aint changing a thing for now!

If they grow as I suspect they will, and maintain the density, 2 lbs may be within reach. I would be surprised though. There is one monster strong big fat girl and the other three are just good. The others just are not as fat. But they are every bit as juicy.

Pics in a couple days I guess.

Back
Top Bottom