Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

Re: Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & M

Living out in the boonies does have a few disadvantages, eh?
Hey, did someone say boonies! Lol
420-magazine-mobile91481176.jpg

Bumbles Desert Oasis - The Mystery Seeds - Volume 1

Peaceful blazing

Re: Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & M

Yeah, the boonies have the downsides Beav....but the plus sides are so many that it makes it all worthwhile.
When I left for work yesterday morning I peeked out back and there was an Eagle resting on a dead tree across the pond. I love to see them here.

Love that pic Bumble. Especially.....the glowing eyes of the dogs. It really gives it a spooky effect, so perfect for this time of year. :laugh: A movie comes to mind every time I look at it...but the name will not come to me.
I've enjoyed your thread, looking at the pics with all of the challenges you face where you are, and I appreciate the DIY and using what's available to you.

Hope everyone is doing well.

:circle-of-love:

Hey Canna :)

Just wanted to pick your brain a little :)

Basically I've a fem photo that's in a tiny pot under 24/0 light and is starting to flower! I'm thinking if I can intentionally H her I could use her pollen for seeds. Have you ever known of a photo plant flowering on its own? Also am I correct that as it would be a forced H that the resulting seeds would be fem?
Soz never done breeding and I've forgotten all the info I'd stored up in the past lol, if I'm not doing it currently it gets scrapped off in my memory banks :)

Hey Canna :)

Just wanted to pick your brain a little :)

Basically I've a fem photo that's in a tiny pot under 24/0 light and is starting to flower! I'm thinking if I can intentionally H her I could use her pollen for seeds. Have you ever known of a photo plant flowering on its own? Also am I correct that as it would be a forced H that the resulting seeds would be fem?
Soz never done breeding and I've forgotten all the info I'd stored up in the past lol, if I'm not doing it currently it gets scrapped off in my memory banks :)

Hi LA, and congrats on the Member of the Month nomination again! You got my vote for sure. ;-)

I have not experienced a photo plant flowering on it's own. Maybe someone else here has. You are sure the seed was a photo and not Auto right??

Yes, if you H it and you get seeds they will be fem seeds. There is much debate as to whether those seeds would likely have some hermie traits to them. Personally I don't believe this to be true, but there are those who do.

How are you planning to H it? Light stress?

I'm heading off to work for a long day, so I'll check back tomorrow.

Have fun!

Cheers Canna :)

This plant in question is about 4 month old in veg under 24 hr lighting. I've posted up some pics on my Remo test thread. She's deff a photo plant for sure! I'm thinking her root restrictions are the cause and I'm hoping the H will come from the same souce. She's been a hardy little sod and has taken some proper abuse, yet I'm thinking just leave her be and the constraints root wise should throw her into H :)

Yes, if you H it and you get seeds they will be fem seeds. There is much debate as to whether those seeds would likely have some hermie traits to them. Personally I don't believe this to be true, but there are those who do.

How are you planning to H it? Light stress?

Forcing a plant to hermie doesn't cause genetic change that can be passed on to offspring. It's only plants that hermie on their own that pass on hermie trait. (because the mother plant already has genetic hermie trait.)

good luck on project LA.

Forcing a plant to hermie doesn't cause genetic change that can be passed on to offspring. It's only plants that hermie on their own that pass on hermie trait. (because the mother plant already has genetic hermie trait.)

good luck on project LA.

Cheers this is what I thought. I'm considering (if she does H) to hitting a branch of all the strains I've got going and then I'd have loads of interesting HSO crosses for sure! :)

Just as the spot is right in the same room as my main tent I may be worried on spoiling my DeathStar! I really don't want that after a year growing her lol

I really thought I had a Full House hand when I chose that cove area to plant those two seedlings. But...Mother Nature had a Straight Flush up her sleeve as usual.

I went down to yank the two girls, and only found one to bring back. Apparently in the last week or so this has become a deer run, or some other large critter, to drink from the pond. There is a trail, and it was directly over the top of the smaller plant. It was broken off and smashed into the ground. Totally unusable in any way.

So here's what I salvaged from one. I believe this was a custard cream clone:

cove_girl.jpg

At least it's something, and it didn't cost anything being a clone. :)

Even the sunlight was free - quite an advantage for the boonies in states where gardening is considered criminal behavior.

good luck on project LA.

20 years ago scientists would agree with that theory.

More recent theories about epigentics - where the EXPERIENCES of parents seem to impact the children - maybe in the motochodrial RNA, maybe in the 'inactive' areas of the DNA - question the simplicity of the DNA inheritance model developed by Crick and Watson (and Rosalind Franklin.) There just plain seems to be more inheritance and faster evolution than can be explained by the 'DNA explains everything' model.

Since the scientists can't agree (yet) this is a place where the answer lies is the observations of gardeners. I suggest you take notes :)

20 years ago scientists would agree with that theory.

More recent theories about epigentics - where the EXPERIENCES of parents seem to impact the children - maybe in the motochodrial RNA, maybe in the 'inactive' areas of the DNA - question the simplicity of the DNA inheritance model developed by Crick and Watson (and Rosalind Franklin.) There just plain seems to be more inheritance and faster evolution than can be explained by the 'DNA explains everything' model.

Since the scientists can't agree (yet) this is a place where the answer lies is the observations of gardeners. I suggest you take notes :)

Thanks for adding that.

It's true that genetic expression is much more complicated that the gene sequence alone. Genes get switched on and off by environmental factors, but still questionable whether these switches can be passed through to germ cells or whether the switch would remain 'on' if offspring are grown under different conditions than what caused parent to switch on in first place. It seems more likely to me that gardeners that experience such 'inheritance' are likely continuing some condition in environment that keeps switching on the trait. Most of what I've read on epigenetics applies to cell division within tissue (such as with cancer) and not with generation of germ cells. I fully admit I still have a lot to learn about it, and I apologize for oversimplifying my original response.

I will change my statement to include possibility of passing on trait through non-genetic information contained in seed, but I still consider it highly unlikely if offspring are grown in proper environment. :Namaste:

Thanks for adding that.

It's true that genetic expression is much more complicated that the gene sequence alone. Genes get switched on and off by environmental factors, but still questionable whether these switches can be passed through to germ cells or whether the switch would remain 'on' if offspring are grown under different conditions than what caused parent to switch on in first place. It seems more likely to me that gardeners that experience such 'inheritance' are likely continuing some condition in environment that keeps switching on the trait. Most of what I've read on epigenetics applies to cell division within tissue (such as with cancer) and not with generation of germ cells. I fully admit I still have a lot to learn about it, and I apologize for oversimplifying my original response.

I will change my statement to include possibility of passing on trait through non-genetic information contained in seed, but I still consider it highly unlikely if offspring are grown in proper environment. :Namaste:

Points well made. Most of my scientific understanding is both popular and 30-40 years old. I wasn't trying to school you, just expressing that I believe there is uncertainty,. I agree with you that forcing a plant to self pollinate isn't likely to result in dangerously inferior offspring, especially if you don't cross and back cross a few generations down the road.

If a plant can hermi, naturally it will pass this on, weather being deliberate stress or a natural expression.. I'd argue it's more natural and pure to have that trait than not (not that it's something to want or use)... It's really only through our selection and breeding are you able to find and breed with pure females...

Nice information and input on the Hermie convo guys. Thank you. :)

I have done the test on the electric use in the grow for 3 400W Mars Hydro set on 12/12 schedule. The 12/12 is from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
I'm going to look into my electric company info and see when the peak and off peak hours are.

If I see that it would conserve major energy to adjust those light schedules to be on at night, then I'm going to do that. This would help heat wise too, the plants would stay warm during the coldest times of the night and the rising heat from that room will heat the floor of the dining room adding a bit of heat to the house too. That area is cold because of a bay window that stays cold, and the furnace thermostat is very near there. I'm trying to seal up around that thing.... UGH

So, at the current 12/12 schedule using the Kill-a-whatzzit to measure, I figure the cost to be about 30.00 per month for those three lights.

As soon as I harvest 3 or 4 of the plants down there (very soon), I'll be able to eliminate at least two of those.

I'll be there soon Bumble. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Update on the electric consumption.

Our power company does not have Peak and Off Peak rates. It's the same rate no matter when you are using your power. It does change during the summer months after the first 600kwh hours of usage every month, it goes higher. But after September, it just stays a basic rate per kwh.
So, no sense changing lighting schedules around right away.

I just found a blog online that had many uses for Cannabis as a healing power. I could not list the blog address (against the site rules), so I posted a lot of what I found to my blog here. (click on the blog entries under my avatar to view)

But I wanted to post this here, it's another useful thing for those plant root balls that most people toss out:

Please keep in mind this is a TOPICAL recipe. Not for ingesting.

Cannabis Root Topical Oil By: Wild Bill
Did you know that every part of the cannabis plant is useful? Here's a recipe from my old pal Dizledot that tells us how to extract a topical oil from the roots. It's just the thing for arthritis or muscle pain. And you Puritans will be glad to know that it doesn't get you intoxicated, just relieves pain.
Thanks Diz!

Don't Throw Those Root Balls Out!

Did you know that hemp or marijuana root is used to relieve muscular and bone aches, reduce swelling, ease pain, rejuvenates circulation, promotes cellular growth, and encourages deep tissue healing.

I try to use every bit of the plant, waste nothing is my motto! There are old recipes out there dating back years and years documenting the use of roots and stems.

If you are like me and looking for a homeopathic use for the roots start with a topical liniment solution using rubbing alcohol, dried and finely ground roots......

Ingredients:

1 root ball thoroughly cleaned and dried. Wash and re wash with water until all soil is removed from fresh roots. Make sure you have dried or dehydrated it to the point where the roots are no longer soft and pliable.

1 bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

Method:
Grind root ball to a fine powder, open a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), pour approximately 1/3 of contents into a separate container for storage.

Using a funnel with an opening appropriate to container, pour in ground material, shake well, then store in a dark place, shaking every few days, for 1-2 months.

Strain out material before using, with a cheesecloth or coffee filter, apply liberally to affected area for pain relief, as needed.

Just thought I would toss 1/2 penny into the ring on hermie etc. I have heard that the original genetics can only be gotten from a clone of the original. OK, now this clone is grown and clones from it taken yadda, yadda. So how long before that last clone has significant genetic changes just from environmental mutagens. So in reality, there is no original strain anymore. So am I missing something here? Just saying. Dan

Back
Top Bottom