PeeJay's Perpetual Organic Homebrewed Soil - Stealth Cabinet And Greenhouse Grow

Thanks guys. :) I am actually doing some research on what temperature will actually kill mold. If it could be killed by cooking, maybe edibles are safe in the case of getting botrytis an molds.....maybe. So far all I can come up with is that temperatures over 100 degrees will kill certain types, and freezing temps only put it into dormancy. But just cuz you read it on the internet...doesn't make it so. LOL
Excellent thread here PeeJay and all, I've learned a ton of info. I just hope I can retain it when I need it.
:rofl:

Gosh Canna, I don't really know... Intuitively, burning the cannabis would destroy mold spores more effectively than the lower temperatures found in cooking. On the other hand, ingested cannabis is subjected to gastric juices with a pH of 1-2 before moving into the intestines where the good stuff is absorbed. That VERY acidic environment is going to destroy encysted fungal spores, too.

It is interesting that small single cell organisms (bacteria) in the intestines will likely consume most of the spores that pass through the stomach intact and decide to grow in the more pH neutral environment of the intestines ~6. There are far more of these tiny single cell organisms in a healthy persons intestines than the total number cells in the human body! Then, there are the natural defensive mechanisms in the body (which are compromised in folks with weakened immune systems) such as macrophages, neutrophils, etc.

A person with a weakened immune system also has fewer gut flora (the healthy bacterial population living in our intestines ) than a healthy person. This is because one of the ways the medicos address compromised immune function is with antibiotics that kill not only harmful bacteria but the good bacteria too. That's why a doctor will frequently recommend eating yogurt or other foods rich in probiotics (good bacteria) when they prescribe an antibiotic.

A definitive answer to your question is elusive because the interrelationships are complex. Please don't take what I've written as hard fact. My response is like what I would write as an answer to an essay question as in an exam. I would probably get a decent grade with the answer.

One more thought... An immune compromised individual should never stick their nose into a jar of buds and inhale deeply! Not because there are more mold spores on cannabis than anything else, but because breathing clean hepa-filtered air is key and a jar of buds does not provide clean hepa-filtered air!

Good points on all of them Peejay! I'm no instructor...I can't grade you, but I would give it a great thumbs up! :thumb:
Yes, patients with nill to zero immune systems would absolutely need to be in a clean air environment as you noted. THAT is not easy to do in a home vs. hospital setting especially with a patient who is resistant to following the guidelines set forth by those trying to save his life. Mold spores become airborne when disturbed if they are dry enough. That would be my worry before burning it. ;-)
I'll let you have your thread back now. LOL
Have a great day!

:rofl: Canna, you got me interested which is kind of a shame because there are other things I need to get done for work that are no less interesting than your question. My last post about inhaling the aroma from a bag or jar of buds by an immuno-compromised individual got me thinking about fungal pneumonia which frequently has fatal results for immuno-compromised individuals.

I'm not rolling on the floor laughing because it is a light-hearted subject, only because I'm so easily distracted! This wiki is well referenced. If you check out the references it will lead you to a wealth of information! Fungal_pneumonia

We are alike in the easily distracted department for sure. I've been trying to get pics together all morning, cannabutter made, plants repotted, house cleaned.....well you know. LOL
I'll check out that Fungal pneumonia link. One of my patients wound up with pneumonia twice because he refused to follow the guidelines and direct Doctors' orders. The bone marrow transplant procedure had to be delayed, which came as close as you can get to costing him his life.
Thanks for the link, now get to work! :tokin:

Oooooohhhh Canna. Psychologists will tell you that multi-tasking is ineffective when you want to get from point A to point B efficiently, and they are right. The other side of the coin is that the problems caused by multi-tasking also lead to perspicaciousness (a word you added to my vocabulary to describe what I intuitively understood.)

Everyone wants a "magic bullet" answer. The miasma of influential factors makes response difficult in any given situation. The way you have evolved growing the cannabis with your inquisitive mind may not get you from point A to point B quickly, but you are working on greater understanding much faster than those who think the alphabet only has two letters.

very interesting conversation you 2 are having
Happy Shatterday to you Pj :thumb:

A happy shatterday to you Chronic. I'm thrilled to see your streak towards MOTM status. What impresses me most is not your willingness to help in the forums, but the way you go out of your way to help folks physically who need assistance. You are gold!

A happy shatterday to you Chronic. I'm thrilled to see your streak towards MOTM status. What impresses me most is not your willingness to help in the forums, but the way you go out of your way to help folks physically who need assistance. You are gold!

Thanks Pj I really don't mind helping people out when they need it, make new friends, just seems like the right thing to do. I only can hope when I get older and need help someone is there too Thanks again Pj :circle-of-love:

I never heard of a process used for removing mold.........very small creature. There are some steps you can take........if you have an enclosed room; like filtering the air........ionic filters do work, but you've got to get a pretty good one, the cheap ones break down quickly. These steps are suggesting creating a cleaner environment to start with. If one could get a room certified as a hypoallergenic environment, there should be patients that would prefer products produced under these conditions. Indoor weed is way cleaner than outdoor weed......and sneezes, ect. are not uncommon for me........and I know it's the weed.

Yes, there will be myriad things outdoors which I have to prepare for and certainly everything mentioned in this thread is what I will have to watch. I'll see how it goes outdoors. If this grow causes me too much angst and aggravation, I will build a room and grow in my house. On a side note, the next house we buy will probably be our last. I will absolutely have a top of the line, whole house filtration system put in. We have such horrible pollen levels here that you don't need an allergy to be effected. My parrot, a Macaw, has chronic sinus problems. A whole house filter would really help her. The things we do for our little furries, or feathery friends.

Yes, there will be myriad things outdoors which I have to prepare for and certainly everything mentioned in this thread is what I will have to watch. I'll see how it goes outdoors. If this grow causes me too much angst and aggravation, I will build a room and grow in my house. On a side note, the next house we buy will probably be our last. I will absolutely have a top of the line, whole house filtration system put in. We have such horrible pollen levels here that you don't need an allergy to be effected. My parrot, a Macaw, has chronic sinus problems. A whole house filter would really help her. The things we do for our little furries, or feathery friends.

Outdoors is very pleasant and much easier than indoors....very worthwhile!

And that's what a lot of members that don't really pay attention to the non-growing posts of threads don't get. Cronic physically goes out to other members residents & helps them with things they may have trouble with on their own.
I know plenty of members are not here for the chit-chat & I don't blame you. A good argument would be there are sites for that; _Acebook etc... But for me those sites are full of immaturity and negativity.
I've found a cyber home on 420 with some members that I truly consider friends. There's nothing wrong with seeing this site as a growing tool and nothing more but I believe it's evolving into much more than that. We have the moderators to keep it close to cannabis related while we josh around and even when we do go somewhere else it stems from a cannabis related conversation.

Wow, I've been smoking all weekend. Excuse my rambling. Now that's cannabis related.

Re: Stealthy 1st time indoor/outdoor hybrid grow. Mama Mia and White Panther in soil.

Thanks for the props, my mile high friend. I was really pleased. A lot of thought went into making what I'm up to less than obvious. My landlord is a nice guy. He is not a snooper. It's nice to know that I can feel confident about letting him in the house and be thankful and enthusiastic about the maintenance he does twice a year - as opposed to being reluctant and uptight.

This was a big hurdle to clear for my overall peace of mind :high-five:

PJ, I'm not a consistent follower, but I wanted to jump in after your clarification of the 420 arboriculturist!

The landlord standing next the large covered box in the corner, conversation was great! A+ for your creative trickery!

Five stars awarded for your help today, thanks again. :passitleft: finish it off!

I'm getting along well with the OG. It's 46 days into veg. Looking at things I decided to pot-up into 10 gallons with flower soil. It was top dressed with about a Tb each of Yum-Yum and soft rock phosphate right before transplant - the only thing that it's ever had except water. Looking at the root development I timed the transplant about right. Scored the roots on the side and bottom a few times and dropped her into her final home. I'll let it settle in for a week or so before switching to a 12/12 cycle.

P10301491.jpg

P10301571.jpg

P10301581.jpg

P10301591.jpg

Looks super healthy PeeJay

The yum yum is something I would like to try out in the future. Looks like a wonderful product and it seems you are the first guy to use it with cannabis.

I'm sure you have posted this, and I've already read it, but
What do u use for water for the cannabis plants?

I have two 6 gallon jerry-cans I fill up from a RO water machine outside the supermarket - $3.60 each fill-up and lasts around three weeks. It would be an expensive habit if I was growing more plants. I collect rain water when I can, but it has been a VERY dry winter here.

That's essentially the same thing I've been doing for a while now. Rainwater, snowmelt and trips to the grocery store for supplemental RO water.
I have been reading (and taking with a grain of salt) ppl's opinions re: "some" tap water being "OK" for a living soil mix. I sorta have wishful thinking here, because that would be so much easier. And because I could get an RO filter for the price of 100 gal RO water at the grocery store id like to stop buying those.

Back
Top Bottom