Update: Dark Devil auto :love: day 17
I missed the window to top it. Never mind - it was a very small window! I’m sure it will grow out just fine regardless. We only have to look at the one VG is about to harvest to have faith in that. I have serious bush-envy there! LOL :eek: :laughtwo:

Anyhooo, I nearly topped it a few days ago, around day 15, as it seemed to be charging along well and a little 5th node was ripe for the picking. I decided to hold-off just a bit, and the next thing I noticed was the top looking a bit bud-like and pistils poppin out all around it. Oops! No topping for this one. Lowers are starting to branch out pretty nicely.

It’s interesting to notice the differences between leaves on different plants. The DDa are so rounded and kind of bulbous looking at the serrations, whereas the Early Miss serrations are all sharp-edged and spikey looking.

The light doesnt show it but there is some beautiful graded colouration along the edges of all the leaves, like shadowing. I’ll endeavour to take some nicely lit pics w the Nikon to show it up a bit.

That’s this round of updates. I’m taking them one by one in hopes of reducing the effort. I’m ‘in training‘ with new OT’s and PTs and I am to reduce the length of times I do things for, as much as possible. Little bite sized updates ;) It’s also nice to focus on each individual plant, individually.

On the critter front, I’ve been practising for sometime the photographic capture of dragonflies/damselflies in flight. They hover and surf the breeze in the zone in front of my deck all the time. Try to snap them at it tho and you realise they zip around a lot more than it looks like when you’re just watching them. I also can’t hold the camera with the zoom lens up for long periods of time so my practice sessions are always quick ones. This week I got one for the first time. Woohoo!

The camera was in it‘s auto mode because I was only thinking about practising the capture, not thinking about settings so the ‘fly’ isn’t in as sharp a focus as what I know is possible. I will set the camera settings more appropriately the next time I try but in the meantime I simply had to share the first capture, even if it is blurry! I’m a work in progress! :D
373DC477-35C5-4E8B-A46C-9E3D1721055E.jpeg

:love:
:Namaste:

That can happen - new growth can come out almost white when a plant is charging. The fuzziness of a pistillate hair is pretty unmistakable tho. Do you have a small loupe? I have one of those small metal-and-glass cheapo ones and it‘s really handy for quick pistil checks ;)

Usually you see pistil hairs appear at the nodes before they appear in the tops, but with autos it often seems to happen all at once.

Hi Amy. I am enjoying your journal and will be following along!:popcorn:
Hi Boo! :ciao: Glad you’re enjoying things here. :welcome: to my little Eden and :welcome: also to the 420Mag forums - pretty damn fine bunch of folks around here for the most part :love: Holler if you need help w navigating the forums, or anything ...

That DDa is gorgeous!
You definitely take some of the best photos on this forum!

It’s interesting to notice the differences between leaves on different plants.
I've noticed that the 2 smaller autos I grew (Pink Kush,LowRyder) had the same type of leaves- darker green,
leathery,and really brittle (they crack if you bend them) ...I assume that's a Ruderalis trait-totally different texture than the larger autos,which seem to have more "normal" leaves.
Not that this matters to anyone.... just something I noticed. :cheesygrinsmiley:

some of the best photos on this forum!
:hug: thank you!... oopsie! Distancing... : hug : :thanks: I really love it - phone or SLR (all the recent ones were w my phone ;) )

just something I noticed. :cheesygrinsmiley:
It’s an interesting thing to notice. The DDAs I have grown have definitely had that crispy-leaf trait - especially later on. I’d thought I just stressed them out a bit, but maybe it’s just them.

I was thinking about something similar when looking at your journal this morning and admiring the massive auto harvest you just got. I’ve seen a lot of very decent sized autos lately so either folks are getting better at growing them, or the genetic work being done is producing better ‘stock’. It seems some of the recent releases are easier to get better yields from. I know chelated nutes vs organic soil is a factor, and light hours too, but it does seem to me that auto genetics are getting better - at least in some breeding houses :nomo:

but it does seem to me that auto genetics are getting better
I know autos used to get a bad rap concerning the quality (and quantity) of the end product- but that is definitely not the case now...
My son (an impartial judge ;) ) told me yesterday that the Purple Punch auto is better smoke than the Peyote Critical (photo) .
I suspected this, I mean it seemed like it to me, but he confirmed my suspicions yesterday. (they both "work" very well)

And, autos aren't nearly as temperamental as their reputation suggests...you can abuse (train) the heck out of them,and they keep coming back for more- at least I've found that to be the case.
There are, however, autos that aren't going to get very big no matter what you do, and that is usually mentioned in the seedbank's description (Seedsman CBD Pink Kush, for example)

The only real downside (I feel) to indoor autos (and it's a minor one) is that you'll use a bit more electricity growing them, because the light schedule(18/6, 19/5, 20/4, 24/0) stays the same from sprout to harvest.

Autos have definitely come a long way in the last ten years-they just keep getting better (imo)

Update: Sour Bubba day 25 - snip snip! :laughtwo:

SB has been growing like an absolute champ and because I waited for the new moon to enter the most favourable moment, it was happily popping out it’s 7th node before I chopped it! The usual UBT method says to allow 4-6nodes to grow before topping, I think.

Absolutely no harm in having more tho’, seeing as the principle behind the method is really just about establishing a good healthy plant and lots of roots before topping (leaving only nodes 1 & 2).

I thought it looked like this Sour Bubba knew what was coming! The branching at the lower 2 nodes has been very vigorous :)

Before chop, just because the Saugaview® looked so good! And quite like the Bubba Hash, indeed.

I am still knocking together a final version of the UBT “archival” guide so I edited one of these photos as they illustrate it much better than my previous ones.

It’s a big cut to make. But It was only a wrench the first time I ever did it.

Then I saw what happened and got close to 5oz from my Bubba Hash in 7gal of soil after not a huge veg time, and it’s not a known as a big yeilder.

I was fully sold on the technique (indoors at least), for good.

As the SB has been growing, I’ve been anticipating this moment the whole time knowing all that plant up top was coming off soon and was only for the purpose of growing roots and building overall health.

Chopped!

Late last week, I was reading back over this time period in my last indoor grow and picked up a wonderful tip from @neikodog, a human I have been immensely grateful for - probably my favourite grower :love: . He reminded me to use DeStress spray a couple of days before topping (or training or taking clones ;) ).
:thanks:

I had already decided the garden would get it’s first foliar on Sat. morning so I was thrilled to discover that tip and give the SB (and the NLa) a DeStress instead. I know it will be helping to support the plant through the brief trauma.

As Mr. Krip mentioned (also in my prev journal) the UBT method really doesn’t slow things down much and the growth charge continues right on, just redirected.

It’s bounced back like a champion as well! :thumb: 16hours later...

I’m very excited for this one :popcorn:

And thanks also to me from myself :cheesygrinsmiley: for having the forward-thinking hindsight, or retrospective foresight, to read back over similar past events in my growing life before this event needed to happen and be reminded, in time, about the DeStress tip. It’s a testament to the value of keeping journals!

I hope y’all had a fantastic weekend. I took a lot of time off devices and internet and enjoyed the forest and a bath and a visit from a friend - still at a distance but nice to share a canna-infused coffee and a chat, especially since we were chatting about growing quite a bit :D

’til later!
:love:

Really nice sequence of pics Amy, especially the last couple post topping showing their recovery.

Is there something in the 'Destress' spray you used that could be approximated from something else in the garden store as I am not sure if that is a product available here in NZ? I have never given any consideration for when I have carried out a topping but it makes good sense if there is something suitable available that can help it's recovery. I wonder if even a foliar feed given before and after be better than nothing? Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom