BeezLuiz & LiquidIntel Are At It Again: Outdoor Grow Season 3

This was part of a discussion from last year (the photo was from the internet - not mine):
A little more research led me to this photo:
Thrips.jpg

The upper right is a thrip while the lower left is a cucumeris, which is a predator mite. I've seen both on this plant so I'm thinking the cucumeris is keeping the thrip population under control on my plants. :)
With spider mites and aphids, I know I can see them with the naked eye, yet I never see them on our plants. Just the "speckled leaves".

Sure does look like a thrip!
Thrips will also leave little black dots on the leaves (thrip poop)
My outdoor grows always seem to have a few leaves that have been chewed on, but I've never worried about it unless it gets worse over the course of a few days...
I've never found thrips on my plants, but aphids will always show up sooner or later-they're fairly easy to control if you catch them early.

Looks like a red eyed aphid to me.
That crossed my mind as well, but it was so small -- about the size of the trichomes. I didn't think they started out that small.
Okay, that’s looking like a fng thrip! :eek:
The only one that looked mature/large enough to be a thrip.
Thrips will also leave little black dots on the leaves (thrip poop)
Do you mean like this? I just thought it was dirt. Picture was from last year's grow.

My outdoor grows always seem to have a few leaves that have been chewed on, but I've never worried about it unless it gets worse over the course of a few days...
Exactly my situation here the past couple seasons! We're mostly concerned now because @Liquidintel has a new location that could harbor more dire pests. But to be honest, that damage he showed, could have originated at my place before he took them home.
Hey Beez, is there room for one more on this journey?
Glad to have you Sierra! Are you growing again this season?

Dang thrips look like aphids unless you get the Sauga view of them.

I could usually tell that my plants got aphids becuse the stalks are sticky. They secrete honeydew as they feed.
They are gross little plant vampires.

Thanks for the welcome, I am growing this year and have started another journal. I just came across this thread, coming in on page 7, I have this image of twenty people with their glasses all studying this insect on a plant, quite the image. If Cannabis could get COVID we would have an answer quickly, I have a feeling.

I could usually tell that my plants got aphids becuse the stalks are sticky. They secrete honeydew as they feed.
I have about a dozen rose bushes and trees on my property - a couple within 20 feet of my cannabis, so I see a lot of aphids every spring. You are right about that sticky honeydew they leave behind. Fortunately, I've never had any problem with them on the cannabis.
I am growing this year and have started another journal.
That's great! I'll try to swing by and check it out.

For our first grow, a couple seasons ago, we did no training whatsoever and while the results were beyond our expectations, the plants were tall and unruly. Last year we topped for the first time and were happy with the results - more main colas. Now this season, I trying LST (in addition to topping) for the first time. I was surprised at how quickly the branches respond to the bondage. The picture below is after just one day.

So far I'm really happy with the progress of the LST and excited to see the results once flowering starts. Here's some shots of the Killer Haze. There's gonna be so many main colas :yahoo:

I also started LST on the Dr. Seedsman CBD. It's so bushy it might be difficult to tell, but it will help, I'm sure. I couldn't get a good angle (yet) to tie down the very top main branches so I improvised by wedging a piece of bark between them to slowly spread them.

This season I'm also intent to have lush, green leaves throughout the grow. I'm still using liquid nutes from Emerald Harvest, but also have Megacrop to try later if need be. @Liquidintel is trying MC for the first time. I'm increasing the nute strength and frequency of feeding. I'm letting the leaves tell me if they need more or need less (seems obvious, right?) I'm really happy with the color and health of the leaves so far.

And finally a group shot :cool:

Dang thrips look like aphids unless you get the Sauga view of them.

"Gross little plant vampires" sums them up quite nicely! :rofl:

I adjusted the LST on Dr Seedsman a bit. That piece of bark got replaced with wire straps to gently pull down the 2 main branches that are above the 1st topping site. I also configured a couple wire pieces to spread (instead of pull) the top 4 branches that are above the 2nd topping site. This combo is doing a nice job of separating the top 4 colas.

I realized that I haven't shared many pics of Pink Kush CBD auto lately so here you go.

And just because I had another pic of Killer Haze that I liked. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Plants are looking great Beez. I see we are implementing the same LST techniques with the garden wire and paper clips! Works very well and helps those ladies get wide. I have another clone joining the garden this week, just waiting on my local hydro store to get a new shipment of dirt. Vanilla frosting by dark heart, seems like their version of gelato so I’m excited

Back
Top Bottom