Cannafan's Variety Grow - Blueberry Gum/Delicious CC/Hawaiian Skunk Haze/THC Bomb

Re: Cannafan's Variety Grow-Blueberry Gum-Delicious CC-Hawaiian Skunk Haze-THC Bomb e

You should start training early whilst it's still supple but try & allow the ends to point up to encourage growth. Trim off any growth on the arms so you just have the new bud at the end & its two fan leaves. If you post a couple of pics, above & side shots & I can be a bit more descriptive :)

Re: Cannafan's Variety Grow-Blueberry Gum-Delicious CC-Hawaiian Skunk Haze-THC Bomb e

I've just looked at your last video you uploaded so I have an idea of what stage you're at, so ignore the stripping off bit :)

You look good to go with the restraints & I can't see any fan leaves under your arms which is good. So get your wire across each arm & make sure you don't restrict any new shoots or get it too near the ends.(you want the ends to be able to point up to encourage growth) If it won't go to a T easily but will form a Y, don't over do it straight away, just increase the pressure of the wires day by day so it doesn't split your stem. The foliage doesn't look excessive or restrictive so that can stay for now. (this may change when I see your pictures)
As it grows, the new shoots that will form your arms, you only want to keep the ones that come from the sides. The under & over ones can be cut off or rubbed off with your finger as they form. The new growth at the ends of your T should be opened up regularly to allow light in, this keeps the node spacing tight & will get you a good fluxy structure to work with :)

That should be enough info to get you started & I'll hold your hand through the process so we can get you a flux to be proud of :)

Here's an update, first the flux girls after starting to train the main stems down, two shots each..from the side and from the tops:

8-11_flux1.jpg

8-11_flux2.jpg

8-11_flux4.jpg

8-11_flux3.jpg

I will make sure to keep the main tops with plenty of room to turn up to the light. Slow goes it, I don't want any split britches. :)

And the rest of the grow, first a shot of all:

8-11_plants.jpg

And I have two new babies today. The two White Widow x Master Kush have sprouted during lights on. :yahoo: And no shell to shake either. :) Hopefully they will have a decent time lapse, both cams are pointed at the sprouts right now. I might put a clip on CFL pointing at them to give more light for the video and keep stretch down, if I can get it above them.

8-11_sprout_2.jpg

8-11_sprout_1.jpg

Looking good Cannafan, a little tip to help train your arms down without splitting her trunk is to do what I call bounce bending or pulse bending. I've no idea if anyone else does it or if there is another terminology for it but it's pretty simple. All you need to do is put your finger just under where your 1st fan leaves & new arm shoots are & press down gently until you feel the resistance in the stem to give you a feel for it. Then pulse/bounce your finger on the stem repeatedly & you will feel the stem go beyond the point you felt the same resistance. If you're worried it will split the trunk when bouncing it you can pinch it with your other hand. By bouncing it you stretch the inner membrane fibres allowing it to be trained easier. When you're happy with it, strap it back down at its new lower height. Do this every day until you have a nice T shape :)
The flux in picture #3, you need to remove the new growth that is on the top & underneath (2nd node) as you don't want these as new arms, you only want the side shoots. :) (I didn't do this on mine as I was an accidental fluxer & didn't know what I was doing. By the time I was pointed in LA's direction it was too late to remove them)
You also need to open up the new growth on the ends of your arms regularly which will keep the node spacing tight.

I hope that helps you in your quest & if anything's not clear, just give me a shout :)

I'm curious about predatory nematodes and how they combat soil pests. They will gobble up fungus gnat eggs and larvae with great gusto. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to pay the bill for nematode cultures and inoculate my container soil bins. Would cost around $40...

Hi PeeJay. Saw this while catching up. I used them last run when gnat population seemed to grow & grow even after using drench. In a few days down to only a few. I used steinernema feltiae. This type is supposed to be best for gnats because they both live in the same top 3" soil zone. Now I see the gnats have found my tub in garage that has mix composting for next crop...grrr.

Looking good, Canna. Nice to see the new sprouts coming up sans jacket. Did you plant them a little deeper than usual?

Brightlight, thanks! I wonder if you'd thrown some used soil from the last run into your bins... If there are a few nematodes in the soil and you introduce them to a new source of food it seems like they would eat, make whoopy and produce babies. That's what I'm curious about. Can I keep them going in my bins ad infinitum?

yeah im kinda curious about that too. since I got mine sprouting now. I put mine little bit deeper about 1/2inch. let us know canna

Looking nice Canna, Skunny is giving good info :)
Just keep on top of removing the leaf that is the over node at end, Its the one that sits on top and points back down to center. They cover your developing nodes. I take them off straight away, the leaf on the bottom, which is your under node can be left on if you wish until the flux arm takes over her. Just take the new growth point off if you do leave the under leaf for a while.

As Skunny says holla at me anytime, also if above doesn't make sense lol. :)

Brightlight, thanks! I wonder if you'd thrown some used soil from the last run into your bins... If there are a few nematodes in the soil and you introduce them to a new source of food it seems like they would eat, make whoopy and produce babies. That's what I'm curious about. Can I keep them going in my bins ad infinitum?

Ok PeeJay, I see what you mean...something like Sourdough starter. IDK about nematode reproduction or longevity. I bought small 5 million pkg. at hydro store. They were properly refrigerated & said to be fresh. But late in the grow I saw uptick in gnats and wondered what was up w/ the nematodes? Not enough, too hot in tent? IDK. I used to go get Manteca River Loam (great native soil) over in the Central Valley. I bought it by the yard and usually had an unused pile in the yard. So I used nematodes as a safety measure both on the pile & in the growing holes. I bought larger pkgs. ~25 million population & reintroduced periodically since I didn't know how they'd do over winter cold, etc. Not answer to your question, but never saw the grubs & other visible nasties when digging in the dirt when using nematodes.

Thanks for the reply, Bright. I need to do some research. The nematodes eat many things. I'm interested in if there is a way to feed them so they are always there in small numbers in stored soil, or containers growing plants. My life has suddenly become fraught with uncertainty. I don't know when I'll get around to delving into it. Hey, I already care for soil biota, I figure if I learn what they need when there aren't eggs or larva to eat, I can always have them in my soil. It's an interesting puzzle. Obviously they are cultured, packaged and sold. I want to know if I can do anything to culture them in my soil once I get them going.

I have a friend who is a microbiologist. I'd like to run a 10x soil dilution and do some microscopy to see if there are already some in the soil I have going, too. I'm sure she'd help me have a look.

I'm sure there is a life cycle that feeding beneficial bacteria at the bottom of the food chain could cause an increase up the chain to fungi Protozoa and finally nematodes(I didn't include worms case I figured they weren't in there). Usually an addition is not needed just cared for and providing an environment of good drainage and oxygen. A worm casting tea could help bump life, but I'm not a microbiologist nor know ur soil mixture. So taking this info with a grain of salt is recommended. I see u r already on the right track so I hope u fix ur problem. I use lady bugs, 1500 was only 5$. I used them to combat mites and the gnats. Haven't seen a gnat in over a week, I do find mite eggs on the larger plants as the feed in waves top to bottom and patrol like a little regimented army, but haven't seen even a strand of webbing. I found chopping up fresh rosemary in my teas then allow the plants to soak it up helps too. I might have mention this before in this thread and sorry for the reinfo if I did. I didn't find gnats in my soil until I started to water the larger plants more frequently. Now I allow for them to become really dry almost to the point of droop age, I'm not sure if it was a combo of all 3 or shear dumb luck but it did the trick for me. HAppy growing

Good to see your treasures, they look pretty. :bravo::bravo:

Will keep watching your journal :circle-of-love:

Here's an update, first the flux girls after starting to train the main stems down, two shots each..from the side and from the tops:

8-11_flux1.jpg

8-11_flux2.jpg

8-11_flux4.jpg

8-11_flux3.jpg

I will make sure to keep the main tops with plenty of room to turn up to the light. Slow goes it, I don't want any split britches. :)

And the rest of the grow, first a shot of all:

8-11_plants.jpg

And I have two new babies today. The two White Widow x Master Kush have sprouted during lights on. :yahoo: And no shell to shake either. :) Hopefully they will have a decent time lapse, both cams are pointed at the sprouts right now. I might put a clip on CFL pointing at them to give more light for the video and keep stretch down, if I can get it above them.

8-11_sprout_2.jpg

8-11_sprout_1.jpg

Thanks guys, and the info on the gnats is interesting. Great stuff.

For the seeds, yes I have been planting them deeper. About 3/4" or just shy of an inch now.

And I will take care of the maintenance on the flux plants tonight. :thanks: Poor kids will be naked again. LOL

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom