DobeWan's Perpetual Adventure 2.0: The Reboot

Very cool! I have some of the leaf mutation that’s common in the polyploidy thread as well. Maybe it is something special. Thanks for sharing that OTM.

As I’m not pressed for space, I can hang onto her as long as I need to. I’ll give her time and see what happens.

This is way more excitement than I expected 2 weeks into veg!

My sickly plant is the frostiest so far in flower. And I was about to Chuck her in the dumpster before penny talked me down...

I've long since learned to take PW's advice as the calm and collected voice of reason! He's talked me down more than once!

What I usually do, is take a bunch of pics, then do whatever resizing and any other cleanup I want, then name them according to a naming convention and set them aside. Usually something like yyyymmdd-ST-dV-#, where ST is a 2 letter identifier for the strain, dV is the day in veg (or flower), snd # is just a unique identifier. My Violator Kush pics from yesterday, for example, would be 20180103-VK-13V-001, 002, and 003. That gives me enough info to easily track down what I need when I need it. In Windows I could then search on *VK* to find all of my Violator Kush pics, or *13V* to find all of the pics I've ever labeled 13V.

I also try to take the pics from roughly the same angles for direct comparison. It's easy to see progress in early veg on top down shots for example.

I've referred back to old pics many times already, so this is definitely an approach that works well for me!

Thanks very much for this!. I need to get more disciplined in naming and filing my pictures. Have a great one .

Awesome update dobewan! I'm happy to see your liberty haze plants made it. I only grew one but it was amazing. I got a royal gorilla a few weeks in flower and already starting to feel frost up like crazy I'm sure we are in for some top shelf buds!

Wish I could send you a clone when the time comes Jgrow! I’d suggest you move to Canada but then you’d lose access to SweetSue and her many gifts!

Back for another veg update!

20180107-all-17V-001.jpg

Top row, l-r: Violator Kush, White Widow, Liberty Haze 2
Front row, l-r: Royal Gorilla, Amnesia x OG, Liberty Haze 1

Bit of a rough weekend. Our furnace failed on the coldest night of the year on Friday night. We couldn't get anyone out and spent the night shivering in bed with kids. Got it fixed Saturday and finally got the house warmed up by bedtime. We were zombies Saturday, which made for a busy Sunday once we'd recovered.

The plants didn't miss a beat.

Violator Kush is at 17V. Almost ready to top - I'll top her in the next couple of days, then once she's recovered, pot up and watch her go crazy. She has to get moved as soon as she recovers, as the solo cup won't be big enough to feed her for 24 hours before much longer.

20180107-VK-17V-001.jpg

20180107-VK-17V-002.jpg

20180107-VK-17V-003.jpg

White Widow is at 17V. She's continuing the vigorous growth and straightening out her deformation. Not a polyploid, but a survivor if nothing else.

20180107-WW-17V-001.jpg

20180107-WW-17V-002.jpg

20180107-WW-17V-003.jpg

Amnesia x OG is at 15V. She's well on track to top in the next few days as well.

20180107-AOG-15V-001.jpg

20180107-AOG-15V-002.jpg

20180107-AOG-15V-003.jpg

Royal Gorilla is at 13V. Still not growing as fast as I'd hope. We'll see where she ends up in the pecking order.

20180107-RG-13V-001.jpg

20180107-RG-13V-002.jpg

20180107-RG-13V-003.jpg

Liberty Haze is at 15V. The slow starter is moving along, but the one without issues is clearly the choice plant for flowering in this round at this point.

20180107-LH1-15V-001.jpg

20180107-LH1-15V-002.jpg

20180107-LH1-15V-003.jpg

20180107-LH2-15V-001.jpg

20180107-LH2-15V-002.jpg

20180107-LH2-15V-003.jpg

I wish I hadn't messed up the start for Royal Gorilla, and hope to see her start moving soon. But otherwise, I'm very happy with things so far. I'm going to end up topping and transferring earlier than usual. Ase's feed schedule and RapidStart are showing immediate results.

Thanks for following!

They all look very good Dobe. Thats a real nice selection of strains too. I like it a lot.

Yeah nice update and a great mix

Looking right on track, good job Dobe!

Thanks guys! I just tried Chemdawg for the first time on the weekend and I liked it a lot. So I’m really looking forward to Liberty Haze now.

I have some LP White Walker Kush and White OG coming as well to try - Skywalker, OG, and White Widow are all good choices on their own, so I’m betting they’ll go well together!

I’m also getting close to a seed order, will let you guys know what’s coming when I pull the trigger. I’m strongly considering Darkstar by TH Seeds. Does anyone have experience with it?

Nice update Dobe! Veg girls are looking good. Funny how the coldest day we've had this year (a couple weeks ago for us) my oil ran out. Luckily they were able to get there the next day and it wasn't a big deal but that one day was cold and then we spent the whole next day defrosting. Weird how similar things keep happening to us.. lol!

Nice update Dobe! Veg girls are looking good. Funny how the coldest day we've had this year (a couple weeks ago for us) my oil ran out. Luckily they were able to get there the next day and it wasn't a big deal but that one day was cold and then we spent the whole next day defrosting. Weird how similar things keep happening to us.. lol!

Maybe the next common thing will be a POTM! :laugh:

Maybe the next common thing will be a POTM! :laugh:

I hope so man! Nothing would make me happier than someone using my techniques to win a plant of the month. The other contests are cool but POTM is where it is at. Anyways, to show up brand new a year and half ago and win a couple POTMs and then show and teach people what I did to win them. Then to have someone else do the same thing and win would be the ultimate reward. It would be the final feather in the cap of reassurance that I know what the hell I'm doing!

I'm pulling for both you and Newty. You guys are two of the closest followers to my training and I want to see one of you get a POTM! Maybe even POTY! Although it might be the one downside of growing with the same dates that I am, ours will be ready at the same time ;).

I decided to top Amnesia x OG and Violator Kush tonight. The others don't quite fit my criteria yet but they're not far off. I thought I'd document the process I use in case it's helpful to anyone.

Why do I top? I've tried a number of training techniques throughout my short time growing. it was a conscious decision to figure out what I liked and didn't like. My favorite involves topping and doing LST to get an even canopy full of top sites.

When do I top? Normally it has been about 3 weeks from germination. This seed was planted 19 days ago, so the sweet spot is likely around 2.5 weeks. I look for a plant that is growing vigorously, so that I know it has a good chance to recover quickly and well. I like to top with 5-6 nodes on the plant. If I can count 5 distinct pairs of leaves and see the stems, I'm good to go. But I have no problem waiting to see 6.

What method do I use? In my last grow, I settled on taking the bottom 2 pairs of nodes and leaving the 3rd and 4th node, similar to Ase's default style. With this strong base, I'm then able to do whatever I want in the remainder of veg.

Taking a look at Violator Kush when I took her out of the tent, I noted that she continues to grow very well.

20180109-VK-19V-001.jpg

20180109-VK-19V-002.jpg

However, her pot is dry, so I wanted to feed before I top. I prefer to work with the plants after watering in general.

20180109-VK-19V-003.jpg

I tried to illustrate the nodes here. It was hard to get a clear shot but this should give an idea of a plant that in my eyes is very much ready.

20180109-VK-19V-004.jpg

I use my trimming shears, but any scissors should do, as long as they're clean.

20180109-VK-19V-005.jpg

In this shot, I've removed the bottom pairs and tried to bend the top a little to show where I make the cut.

20180109-VK-19V-007.jpg

When you let it grow and then clean it up like this, you take a lot off!

20180109-VK-19V-008.jpg

Note the angle at which I've cut. It's said to be helpful to prevent issues at the site of the topping.

20180109-VK-19V-009.jpg

The finished product! She got only gentle nudging from my fingertips to the leaves and new growth. That's all I'll do for the next few days as she recovers and then gets potted up. Training will begin in earnest after pot up.

20180109-VK-19V-010.jpg

20180109-VK-19V-011.jpg

This will be quite useful to many people Dobe. Good job to document it.

Thanks Scrog, I figure if I document all of the main processes I use and take for granted, and someone at some point uses one of them to their benefit, then I've done what I set out to do. I think paying it forward is really important here after all of the great help I've gotten.

DobeW, wow, you haven't lost your touch at all. Great tutorial very easy to understand. I called Violator Kush from the start cause she will knock down the competition. She is a heavy hitter for sure. Really glad you're back. :Namaste:

Thanks G2HM, if it helps you in any way then there's no doubt it was worth my time. I can't wait to see where we go with Violator Kush, it's really exciting that she's been the lead dog from day 1, knowing the potential she has as a med for me.

I know you have a ton of other things you need to follow up on in 2018, but we as Canadians should try at some point to figure out safely shipping clones among one another. I'd only be happy to get clones to you down the road if this turns out the way we hope.

Back
Top Bottom