DobeWan's Perpetual Adventure 2.0: The Reboot

Thanks for this - I heard from Teddy and he's going to add the links to the first page of my journal. He also suggested I add them to my signature which I've done!

Teddy is a work horse around here, gotta love him!

Hey Dobe, I didn't want to take over Sam's journal but wanted to ask about the water pump/timer diy you suggested. I might need some instruction or a tutorial if you wouldn't mind in the future..I've been trying to think of a way I can leave for 10 days at most. Usually it's just a few days or a week in the summer and can get someone to check every few days. My plan right now is for outdoor plants but I would love to keep my perpetual going through summer if I can figure out how to set it up.

WW bounced back big time after her funky start, she's really growing well now, even her freakish stunted top! It's going to be hard to hold her back out of flower when I flip in a couple of weeks if she keeps this up. Too many good candidates for this round is a good problem to have though. If she gets relegated to the veg tent for another couple of months it's not the end of the world but OTMs pics are strong incentive to find room!

The Widow would be the one to let veg longer IMHO, if you can get her trained so she starts nice even cola's, just put her in the back and let her build, they are not the fastest growing plant (at least in my case) and they are naturally bushy, those bud sites tend to stack well especially in the last 5 weeks. On my last run the lone Widow was put in flower with the Kush gals & Hayley at the same time, she was the last to throw pistils...10 days behind the others.

Nice training post, well explained and great pictures! Jorge has nothing on you!:thumb:

Quick progress update at lights on. We're at 32V on the Violator Kush and White Widow (front left and front center respectively), 30V on the Liberty Hazes (front and back right) and on Amnesia x OG (back left), and 28V on Royal Gorilla (back center). Everything is moving along well now. Training will need to be adjusted after I water tonight. I'll be potting up this coming weekend to the final 3 gallon smart pot homes for the 4 plants that go into flower now. The 2 that wait till likely stay in their 1 gallon plastic pots a little longer, so that they don't overpower the veg tent quickly.

Not sure when I'll flip yet - I've been in the 50-60 day range in the past, but that doesn't mean I'll go that long again. I'll flip when I feel like they're ready - or when I can no longer take the excitement of waiting!

Let's be real. Now that I'll be flipping later than I normally do, we'll be flipping together. I'm thinking at 49 days (7 weeks). And I can't wait to see those things in 3 gallon pots so I can start to gauge them against mine ;)

Hey Dobe, I didn't want to take over Sam's journal but wanted to ask about the water pump/timer diy you suggested. I might need some instruction or a tutorial if you wouldn't mind in the future..I've been trying to think of a way I can leave for 10 days at most. Usually it's just a few days or a week in the summer and can get someone to check every few days. My plan right now is for outdoor plants but I would love to keep my perpetual going through summer if I can figure out how to set it up.

Maybe we'll learn together in that case newty - I did a little bit of preliminary research last summer but ultimately had coverage when I travelled. I was looking at this solution as something to get me through 4-5 days tops - 10 days might be a a little more of a challenge depending on the stage of the plants (although not impossible, of course) just because you'd need to have a large res for the water to last that long.

I asked the guys at my hydro shop, and they figured it was in the $50 range to set up a simple solution with a pump, timer, and tubing to do the job.

The Widow would be the one to let veg longer IMHO, if you can get her trained so she starts nice even cola's, just put her in the back and let her build, they are not the fastest growing plant (at least in my case) and they are naturally bushy, those bud sites tend to stack well especially in the last 5 weeks. On my last run the lone Widow was put in flower with the Kush gals & Hayley at the same time, she was the last to throw pistils...10 days behind the others.

Nice training post, well explained and great pictures! Jorge has nothing on you!:thumb:

Interesting. Mine seems to be moving better now than in the early days. She most definitely has that bushiness! Also if I hold her back, I can theme my next grow... WHITE Widow, BLUE Dream, GREEN crack, and PINK Kush - the rainbow grow? :laugh:

And I'll take a comparison to Jorge any day of the week!

Let's be real. Now that I'll be flipping later than I normally do, we'll be flipping together. I'm thinking at 49 days (7 weeks). And I can't wait to see those things in 3 gallon pots so I can start to gauge them against mine ;)

Shouldn't be long! I poured a bunch of water last night, so if I have the energy tonight I'll start prepping my 3 gallon pots. I'm not sure I have enough coco which may force me to wait until tomorrow. But there's definitely nothing stopping me from potting up this weekend at this point, they're really growing nicely now...

I had plans tonight, but got the plants fed before heading out, as well as starting to prep the smart pots. I'm about to vape some 24K Gold, throw on some good music (thinking the classic album Dummy by Portishead) and get those pots prepped so that I can pot up on the weekend. These ladies are ready... 35 days in coco for VK and WW, 33 for LH and AxOG, 31 for Royal Gorilla...

20180125-all-35V-001.jpg

I spent a ton of time getting things in order tonight, and got a lot accomplished, including getting 4 3 gallon smart pots ready for the soon to be flowering ladies, and defoliating the plants a couple of days ahead of the transplant. I didn't want to wait and potentially impact top growth by leaving shading leaves in place too long, and I wanted to allow at least a couple of days ahead of transplant time to allow them time to bounce back and be ready for the transplant. So I felt like it had to be now.

It's late and I'm tired, so I won't post up the results of my defoliation until tomorrow. But I'll leave with this, Violator Kush, getting me very excited at 35V.

20180125-VK-35V-002.jpg

An eventful last few days for the plants! This past week saw them hit the end of week 5.

After going to this point with 6 plants in the running... this photo is from 2 nights ago...

20180125-all-35V-001.jpg

Tonight we went down to 4 plants...

20180127-all-37V-001.jpg

Potted them up...

20180127-all-37V-002.jpg

And got their training back in place, ready to blow it up in the last couple of weeks of veg and into flower.

20180127-all-37V-003.jpg

Here's a little recap of how they got there in the last couple of days.

It was starting to become clear that the plants had reached the end of their fast growth in the 1 gallon pots. I think 2 weeks was too long. Transplanting a couple of days earlier might have been the better bet, and waiting to defoliate once they'd been transplanted. Or, defoliating earlier and having them ready to transplant earlier. In any case, no ragrets as they say - based on these roots (AxOG and VK) things look primed to take off in the 3 gallon smart pots.

20180127-VK-37V-001.jpg

20180127-AOG-35V-001.jpg

Violator Kush of course led the charge. The growth so far has been bushy and thick just as I'd hoped. Her frame is in great shape to get a lot of tops to the canopy. I'm just training the interior lead tops with my fingers and likely won't tie them down. I'll try to promote all of the other interior tops to get to their height. Violator Kush is my #1 hope medically for this grow, so I'm very happy with her progress so far. In my fall grow she shone at this point in veg, so I'm really excited to see what the next 2 weeks hold. In my fall grow, however, she wasn't nearly this big and bushy at this point.

Here's how she looked 2 nights ago, begging for defoliation...

20180125-VK-35V-001.jpg

And after defoliation...

20180125-VK-35V-002.jpg

She was right back on her feet at lights on last night, about 18 hours after defoliation.

20180126-VK-36V-001.jpg

And looks bushy and beautiful after her transplant.

20180127-VK-37V-002.jpg

Amnesia x OG is growing interestingly - thick growth at the developed tops, but the newer tops lagging well behind under the once-thick canopy and just starting to get going now that they can see the light. It's hard to envision those lagging tops making it to the canopy, so I foresee a smaller number of tops there but I expect those that make it will be nicely developed.

Amnesia x OG was planted 2 days later than Violator Kush, for what it's worth.

Here's Amnesia x OG 2 nights ago, with just 1 pair of interior fans plucked...

20180125-AOG-33V-001.jpg

And then after a full haircut. I defoliated immediately after the more maturely developed Liberty Haze 2 and went too far with the defoliation on a couple of AxOG stems before realizing I shouldn't be taking as many leaves. No worries - even if those tops don't make it to the canopy the energy will go elsewhere.

20180125-AOG-33V-002.jpg

Here she is 18 hours after the defoliation, getting back on her feet...

20180126-AOG-34V-001.jpg

And now tonight, after transplant and training.

20180127-AOG-35V-002.jpg

Amnesia x OG isn't a stunner in structure but looks set to support some nice growth all the same.

Liberty Haze 2 was the 2nd LH I planted when the first wasn't popping, and I planted it along with the Amnesia x OG 2 days after Violator Kush. It has grown lanky but structured beautifully. My only complaint would be that the stems were a little too rubbery early in veg, meaning they didn't take a sharp straight shape, but that's a minor nitpick that ultimately won't have any real effect. Her lanky sativa structure means I expect she'll grow tall, but with very distinct buds that get a lot of light. Her growth has been excellent and the move to the smart pot should illustrate her length.

Here she is 2 nights ago. She was the first plant I defoliated and I failed to get a before shot.

20180125-LH2-33V-001.jpg

And last night, 18 hours after defoliation and right back on her feet.

20180126-LH2-34V-001.jpg

Here she is tonight after the transplant and ties went back on.

20180127-LH2-35V-001.jpg

She's going to be a stretchy, lanky girl that I'll hate at times, but I think she's set to deliver.

Finally, the baby of the bunch, Royal Gorilla. She's at 33V tonight, and starts in these photos at just 31V. So she's not big, but her structure is in very nice shape. She's ahead of where she was at 33V in my fall grow, and in weeks 6-7 of veg my Royal Gorilla really picked up the pace considerably, so I'm very excited to see where she goes in the near future. I was slightly less aggressive in her defoliation, leaving the bottom fans, given her slightly younger age at which I'd be transplanting.

Here she is 2 nights ago, at 31V, with just 2 interior fans removed.

20180125-RG-31V-001.jpg

And then after her defoliation.

20180125-RG-31V-002.jpg

18 hours later, filling in quickly.

20180126-RG-32V-001.jpg

And then tonight after her transplant, at 33V and looking ready to kick things up a notch...

20180127-RG-33V-001.jpg

I'm really glad I decided to include Royal Gorilla. Her late start made her feel like she was behind, but she's ahead of the pace I set in the fall, as is the rest of my grow, and I have very high hopes for her potency and effect as a strain.

Overall, I'm very happy with where things stand. The jury is still out on whether the 2 transplant approach is better, but I definitely am happy with the root balls I pulled out of the pots tonight, and I'm confident these plants will take off now for the next couple of weeks before the flip to flower.

Liberty Haze 1 and White Widow are relegated to the sidelines for now, but don't count them out. Liberty Haze is a plant I might use for this summer's outdoor experiment, and White Widow is a plant I expect to feature prominently in my next round of flower. I have them under T5HOs for now, just 2 to start so that they slow down veg growth a bit, and I expect the veg tent will see some increased action in the coming weeks. Look out for a seed order or two to set the tone for the next round of veg arriving next week.

Thanks everyone for following along!

Back
Top Bottom