DobeWan's Perpetual Adventure 2.0: The Reboot

Your training is simple but strategically placed. It really is a thing of beauty. Like Toast said, I wish I had your patience and attention to detail. I'm taking notes.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Damn awesome training.. i wish i wasnt so lazy and liked to train my plants more. I need to try out a scrog screen like that. Maybe it will help the wildness lol. What are those metal things you use to scrog them and where did you get them? Cant wait till you flip these bad ladies! ..

I think those are just metal racks that the pots are sitting on.

This is right - I use these individual metal wire stands per plant, and then just use ties to keep everything in place. I like these wire stands because I don’t have to use anything to catch water except a tray underneath, and I don’t get any water pooling around the plant. I can also adjust height for these individually, so if I get a tall plant (like Liberty Haze promises to be) I can put it next to a shorter plant but keep the canopy at the same distance from the light. It was pretty handy when I ran Chocolope which was as tall as me!

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

This is right - I use these individual metal wire stands per plant, and then just use ties to keep everything in place. I like these wire stands because I don’t have to use anything to catch water except a tray underneath, and I don’t get any water pooling around the plant. I can also adjust height for these individually, so if I get a tall plant (like Liberty Haze promises to be) I can put it next to a shorter plant but keep the canopy at the same distance from the light. It was pretty handy when I ran Chocolope which was as tall as me!

Part of me wishes I had the smaller, individual metal ones like you got but I bought my larger ones in case I needed to take my grow down and shelf it for a while. These 4 will stack on each other and fit all my gear. Would be very nice to individually set them. I'm also looking at not using my drain tables anymore as I don't get a ton of runoff and going to just individual saucers. I could see how much each plant is draining that way and measure individual ppms of runoff better. Would also help me lower the shelves a bit as the drain tables are a bit tall. Then I may get my hydro table and put it back together and who knows! Maybe I'll give full hydro a shot at some point just to expand my grow knowledge.

I just realized that if we flip on the weekend that we are planning, we will be harvesting pretty much on 4/20. Can't pick too better of a date to be taking down a harvest ;)

Part of me wishes I had the smaller, individual metal ones like you got but I bought my larger ones in case I needed to take my grow down and shelf it for a while. These 4 will stack on each other and fit all my gear. Would be very nice to individually set them. I'm also looking at not using my drain tables anymore as I don't get a ton of runoff and going to just individual saucers. I could see how much each plant is draining that way and measure individual ppms of runoff better. Would also help me lower the shelves a bit as the drain tables are a bit tall. Then I may get my hydro table and put it back together and who knows! Maybe I'll give full hydro a shot at some point just to expand my grow knowledge.

I just realized that if we flip on the weekend that we are planning, we will be harvesting pretty much on 4/20. Can't pick too better of a date to be taking down a harvest ;)

All of those individual legs can be a pain when taking pans in or out. And if you want to move everything to a certain height like I did at the start of veg, that’s 16 legs to adjust. But the pros of having individual surfaces definitely outweigh the cons.

If you do ever get the individuals from Am*zon, watch the price for a little while, as I found it fluctuated fairly regularly, with swings of 100%. Really bizarre.

I didn’t realize it’d be a 4/20ish harvest - now I wish I could take credit for planning it that way!

All of those individual legs can be a pain when taking pans in or out. And if you want to move everything to a certain height like I did at the start of veg, that's 16 legs to adjust. But the pros of having individual surfaces definitely outweigh the cons.

If you do ever get the individuals from Am*zon, watch the price for a little while, as I found it fluctuated fairly regularly, with swings of 100%. Really bizarre.

I didn't realize it'd be a 4/20ish harvest - now I wish I could take credit for planning it that way!

Yeah kind of like when Newty and I started the flip on New Years thing. I had no idea that it actually lined up perfectly with my 42 day veg time. Now I have to go longer in veg due to my trip and it lines up with harvesting on 4/20. The ganja gods are by my side this year I think!

I bought all of my shelves from an industrial cooking supply company for a very good price. They were 30-40% lower cost than the ones on Amaz*n and also nicer quality. However no small ones, only large ones. I think mine were about as small as you could buy from them.

I started seeds because you did the same night so I can't take credit either but maybe it was just growing synergy that made it happen. Either way pretty cool.

Your shelves effectively served as my template Ase. My only real differences are the smaller shelves and the lack of a flood table, which now you're talking about pulling out anyway.

I don't see making any changes to my setup anytime soon. I love the versatility and flexibility of the individual pots - and of coco in general - and I feel like my setup works well for me at this point. I think there's a point here that hopefully will help any newer coco (or non-coco) growers as well, if you'll allow me to pontificate a little.

My biggest overall issue prior to this grow was the time involved in running DTW coco. Figuring out and mixing nutrient solutions, pouring the solution through the plants, and disposing of the waste water was really time consuming for me prior to this grow. But the actual mixing of nutes has become really quick for me. I have it down to easy measurements, so as long as I have water ready, it's no longer really an issue. The shelf setup makes catching and dumping the runoff simple. My only "slowdown" in flower will be amateur alchemy - figuring out the exact nute amounts to hit Ase's recommended feeding schedule each time I transition to a new week I haven't mixed yet. But that'll be fun and will give me even further preparation for future grows.

I feel like I'm in my wheelhouse at this point; I've spent enough time in my system that it's tuned to my needs and style. I spend the large majority of time with the plants these days doing training, not figuring out nute solution or managing all the water going through the plants and then down the drain.

Finding gear that works (and these shelves have been an integral piece of the puzzle) is a very important part of any grow style - but I think it's the key part to getting coco to really work for you. Coco is perhaps the most involved growing medium to operate day over day, so having systems that work for your needs supporting your coco grow is critical to your enjoyment of and success with the medium. You're going to spend some amount of time with your plants every day feeding coco DTW - treat every piece of your grow area as an individual system and then tune that system until it's doing exactly what you need it to, and coco will work for you.

I sat down to give a quick update on the veg tent after cheating and turning the light on early, and instead ended up waxing poetic about coco growing. A sure sign the weed is good.

What I had intended to say was that whereas yesterday I thought the initial bounce back from the transplant was a little muted, that isn't the case tonight. The plants took about 2.25L - 2.5L of water each, which is far more than they've taken to this point, and almost as much as I maxed out at in my last grow. I plan to keep both my "veg" and "flower" lamps on the plants until the end of flower, with the veg tent using T5HO's until I'm done. This is no doubt increasing water needs. But the awesome root structure and large size at this point in veg are big factors too I'm sure. Exciting signs.

Here's a shot after I fed them. Still a little groggy from lights out, but showing signs in the last day that they're starting an exciting period of growth.

20180129-all-39V-001.jpg

I hear you toast. Those metal parts really catch the light so they show up clearly on those top down shots. Easy mistake to make. And mistakes are that much easier to make on here because coming on here is often accompanied by weed! The right strain can make me pretty dumb. Although last night's selection - White Walker Kush - made me talkative.

CG, I'm glad we're both growing again. I thought you might be staying MIA until the summer season got started. I'm glad to see you kept things going. If I end up growing outside this summer I'll definitely have some questions. I'm determined to at least get my feet wet this summer.

Quick visual update!

20180130-all-40V-001.jpg

I have to qualify as usual - Violator Kush was planted on Dec. 22, so I have this as 40V. Amnesia x OG and Liberty Haze came 2 days later, so 38V. Royal Gorilla 2 days after that, so 36V.

I'm really excited about where I have these. All are 3 full days post transplant and clearly over it.

Seed order!

20180131seeds.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like Blue Dream somehow got missed or lost. :straightface: The big order otherwise looked good. Everything is clearly labelled and the freebies look like healthy seeds.

Interestingly the Reeferman seeds weren't quite what I expected. I thought I was getting regs and got fems - which is not a problem at all. But they also threw in a ton of seeds. I paid for 5 Pink and 5 Tuna Kush, and got 6 Pink and 12 Tuna. Good deal!

With all these seeds, and way more than I need in the short term of a few choice strains, I'm thinking about options. Veg a few Tuna or Pink Kush and only flower the best? Grow 4 Pink Kush in the veg tent and keep the best as a mother? Grow small plants in the corners of my tents? Use the T5HOs so that I can flower in both tents? I'm kind of leaning towards a test run of a plant or two grown small and fast in solo cups from start to finish. Quick veg without topping, just get a cola going and flip it, keeping the footprint small so I can stick it in a corner of the canopy in the flower tent, and keep the veg tent for veg. I could always clone those small plants as needed. If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears.

Blue Dream not making it also means I need to pick something else to grow for my next round of veg. I intended to grow Pink Kush, White Widow, and Green Crack along with it. Those spots are filled and the White Widow waits patiently. Should I stick with the colour theme, and grow Pineapple Express, Amnesia Lemon, or Crumble Lime? Or forget that and move up Tuna Kush, Kosher Kush, or Chemdawg? This is the option I'm leaning towards, but it'll be a tough choice between those 3. I'm leaning towards Kosher Kush, but I have a ton of options now.

Seed order!

20180131seeds.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like Blue Dream somehow got missed or lost. :straightface: The big order otherwise looked good. Everything is clearly labelled and the freebies look like healthy seeds.

Interestingly the Reeferman seeds weren't quite what I expected. I thought I was getting regs and got fems - which is not a problem at all. But they also threw in a ton of seeds. I paid for 5 Pink and 5 Tuna Kush, and got 6 Pink and 12 Tuna. Good deal!

With all these seeds, and way more than I need in the short term of a few choice strains, I'm thinking about options. Veg a few Tuna or Pink Kush and only flower the best? Grow 4 Pink Kush in the veg tent and keep the best as a mother? Grow small plants in the corners of my tents? Use the T5HOs so that I can flower in both tents? I'm kind of leaning towards a test run of a plant or two grown small and fast in solo cups from start to finish. Quick veg without topping, just get a cola going and flip it, keeping the footprint small so I can stick it in a corner of the canopy in the flower tent, and keep the veg tent for veg. I could always clone those small plants as needed. If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears.

Blue Dream not making it also means I need to pick something else to grow for my next round of veg. I intended to grow Pink Kush, White Widow, and Green Crack along with it. Those spots are filled and the White Widow waits patiently. Should I stick with the colour theme, and grow Pineapple Express, Amnesia Lemon, or Crumble Lime? Or forget that and move up Tuna Kush, Kosher Kush, or Chemdawg? This is the option I'm leaning towards, but it'll be a tough choice between those 3. I'm leaning towards Kosher Kush, but I have a ton of options now.

Pink Kush and Chemdog would be my lineup hands down

Back
Top Bottom